Berkeley Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
emilybeth

Re: Berkeley Class of 2013

Postby emilybeth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:05 pm

VoidSix wrote:Minus an acceptance to Stanford or Yale, I can't see a scenario where I wouldn't be attending Boalt. I want in on this thread.

Nice avatar, are you coming from Boulder undergrad?

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:25 am

heyyitskatie wrote:Just in case some current students revisit the thread:

Has anyone lived in SF as a 1L? I love the city and plan on living there for 2L and 3L, but is it too much of a hassle for 1L? What about Oakland? It seems like there are a lot of cute neighborhoods around the Rockridge district with some opportunity to get to know people outside of law school (not that I don't want to spend lots of time with my classmates, but I'm sure some balance will be nice).

If these options seem too far away/expensive/inconvenient, it will probably be between I-House and Northside for me :)

One person in my mod lives in SF and still has time for her studies, her clinic work, her daily workout and our weekly study group. I should give some disclaimer like "Results Not Typical". I have no idea how she does it-- she is simply amazing. That said, the point is, if she can manage all that, pretty much anyone with a modicum of time management will be able to make it work.

Personally, I prefer my 13 min bike-ride commute; but it would be nice to be in the city too.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Just got my packet in the mail. I believe Dean Tom said it would have information about ASW, but it doesn't...

For those admitted: did your packets contain information regarding ASW?

Thanks!

Laina

Postby Laina » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:54 am

Mine didn't; I believe all ASW info is in the Admitted Students Website.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:13 pm

I believe all ASW info is in the Admitted Students Website.

Thanks, Laina! I figured it might be there... I just don't have access yet. How long after the call did you all get access? It comes via email, I'm assuming?

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
I believe all ASW info is in the Admitted Students Website.

Thanks, Laina! I figured it might be there... I just don't have access yet. How long after the call did you all get access? It comes via email, I'm assuming?

I was admitted by email on 12/9, got the "Accessing your Berkeley law online services" email on 12/21, if that helps. :)

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:46 pm

emilybeth wrote:
VoidSix wrote:Minus an acceptance to Stanford or Yale, I can't see a scenario where I wouldn't be attending Boalt. I want in on this thread.

Nice avatar, are you coming from Boulder undergrad?

Yeah. I'm a Buff. Love the town of Boulder, but Berkeley is a great place too.

hjmarkar

Postby hjmarkar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:04 pm

Hey everyone.. I'll be joining you all come the fall at Boalt... I was accepted for last year's incoming class but deferred till 2010. I also did my undergrad at Cal so I can answer questions about the city or the school if you have any...

Did those that deferred receive anything in the mail yet? I sent them the forms they requested in November or whenever it was, and received an email from Dean Tom saying he got them.. but I have not had any communication with the school since.

Billy Blanks

Postby Billy Blanks » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Hey all. Right now I'm about 85% sure that I'll be joining the rest of you next year (NYU decided to make me choose between them and Boalt, and I'm still waiting on Stanford). I have some other acceptances but the idea of studying law in the Bay, at Boalt no less, is almost too great to pass up.

I'm from California (east-coast UG), so about half of my friends headed up to Berkeley for UG and all of them have nothing but great things to say about Cal. Currently, my brother is living near Cedar and Oxford, which I'm surprised to learn is being called North Berkeley. I'm only surprised because it's all of 3/4 mi from Downtown Berkeley. Out of curiosity, what bars/restaurants are popular with Boalties? Do most Boalt students lives with other law students? Other grad students? By themselves? I know questions of the form "do most..." aren't really answerable by anyone person, but I'm interested in getting thoughts on housing.

Congrats all, hope to see you at ASW.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Billy Blanks wrote:Hey all. Right now I'm about 85% sure that I'll be joining the rest of you next year (NYU decided to make me choose between them and Boalt, and I'm still waiting on Stanford). I have some other acceptances but the idea of studying law in the Bay, at Boalt no less, is almost too great to pass up.

I'm from California (east-coast UG), so about half of my friends headed up to Berkeley for UG and all of them have nothing but great things to say about Cal. Currently, my brother is living near Cedar and Oxford, which I'm surprised to learn is being called North Berkeley. I'm only surprised because it's all of 3/4 mi from Downtown Berkeley. Out of curiosity, what bars/restaurants are popular with Boalties? Do most Boalt students lives with other law students? Other grad students? By themselves? I know questions of the form "do most..." aren't really answerable by anyone person, but I'm interested in getting thoughts on housing.

Congrats all, hope to see you at ASW.

Cedar and Oxford is the bottom end of North Berkeley.

I know a lot of 1Ls and 2Ls who live with other law students and grad students in general. Many 1Ls ended up with other 1L roommates and many live in Manville.
The restaurants are so numerous and diverse that I think it'd be impossible to give you "favorites."

People generally end up at Beckett's, Triple Rock, Henry's or Raleigh's/Manny's/whatever the fuck they're calling it now. People also go dancing at Kyp's and the Down Low. Sometimes there are trips to the city (usually the Mission) or Missouri Lounge or Albatross.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 am

I am so jealous of this thread.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Wahoo! Just booked my ASW flight :)

I was amazed by how easy they make it.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi all, I have a question to current students:

Job prospects are they still there? Fin aid, is it even possible anymore? I just keep hearing these horror stories and wondered if there is any merit to the stigma. People (on these boards and acquaintances) keep telling me to stay clear of Berkeley because of the fiscal situation and the job opportunities. It would really put a great deal of things to rest if I could hear from a current student who could address this question.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:23 pm

ranovr32 wrote:Hi all, I have a question to current students:

Job prospects are they still there? Fin aid, is it even possible anymore? I just keep hearing these horror stories and wondered if there is any merit to the stigma. People (on these boards and acquaintances) keep telling me to stay clear of Berkeley because of the fiscal situation and the job opportunities. It would really put a great deal of things to rest if I could hear from a current student who could address this question.

I will begin my post by saying I only know a small handful of 3Ls so my data is admittedly anecdotal as to jobs: the four I know well enough to ask about job prospects all have jobs. One appeals court clerk, two biglaw associates (one starts immediately, the other is officially deferred only 4 months and has been hearing from the firm he may actually start on time) and one with a govt job lined up. I'm not naive enough to think that's representative, but I also don't think it's as dire as some of the privates or bust bias of many on TLS are making it out.

As for the financial situation, there are a couple of things to consider: economy of the state and economy of the school. There is no doubt that CA is screwed up at the moment. But it has been through down cycles before. I personally cannot imagine as the economic center of gravity moves more in the direction of Asia that the 8th largest economy in the world and poised on the Pacific Rim will miss out. Yes there are structural things must get fixed, but there seems to be a realization in the populace that some hard decisions will have to be made and that's the first step in making the requisite changes.

As for the economy of the school, Dean Edley had already put in place a strategic plan to increase fees to get more outstanding faculty, improve the facilities (ton of work going on as we speak) and IMPROVE FinAid-- not make it worse. As a public school, especially with a focus on public interest, the prime mover is need based. The LRAP is considered by many to be best in the country and they are making changes to make it better. Half of the tuition increase is designated for increased aid.

Two things to keep in perspective when considering the well publicized fee increases: 1. They are targeted to keep tuition below that of peer schools. The fact that it is "less below" isn't a reason not to come here. 2. While the 23% increase next year has raised eyebrows, if you compare it to what was planned in the Edley plan (as opposed to this year's number) the fiscal "meltdown" this year only resulted in a 7% increase-- reasonable all things considered in my book.

I think the changes are actually good for the long term of the school. Yes it sucks to pay more, but I see it as protecting my investment.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:26 am

Thanks Rotor,

I guess all it would come down to is a gut feeling on whether or not to take the plunge. Although the community, the staff, and the area seem to be amazing I have some serious fears. Its like knowing your going to have to pay off a mortgage but not know if your goign to have a job in 3 years. (oh yeah and that mortgage might rise arbitrarily if they decide to up fees) I guess I'll have to wait on a fin aid package to know. Having a finance degree doesn't make this decision any easier....

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:52 am

ranovr32 wrote:Thanks Rotor,

I guess all it would come down to is a gut feeling on whether or not to take the plunge. Although the community, the staff, and the area seem to be amazing I have some serious fears. Its like knowing your going to have to pay off a mortgage but not know if your goign to have a job in 3 years. (oh yeah and that mortgage might rise arbitrarily if they decide to up fees) I guess I'll have to wait on a fin aid package to know. Having a finance degree doesn't make this decision any easier....

Just remember to consider the back-end financial aid (LRAP) as well as the front end. Berk tends to focus more on the former (though with their business model changing maybe that will change too?).

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:58 am

Any advice on Berkeley vs. NYU?

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:03 am

Kronk wrote:Any advice on Berkeley vs. NYU?

That's like asking Coke or Pepsi?

Personallly, I like NY; love SF. I'm a non-trad so less likely to want NYU for the bump in NYC biglaw prospects. COA might be a little lower here but only marginally.

What are you looking for in a school-- and beyond?

Edit: clarity on "those" prospects.
Last edited by Rotor on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:06 am

Rotor wrote:

Personallly, I like NY; love SF. I'm a non-trad so less likely to want NYU for the bump in those prospects. COA might be a little lower here but only marginally.

All public interest stuff, which is why I'm not really considering Chicago. I would prefer to work in California, but more than that I would prefer to have a job (or job I wanted, location is very secondary).

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:51 am

Kronk wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Personallly, I like NY; love SF. I'm a non-trad so less likely to want NYU for the bump in those prospects. COA might be a little lower here but only marginally.

All public interest stuff, which is why I'm not really considering Chicago. I would prefer to work in California, but more than that I would prefer to have a job (or job I wanted, location is very secondary).

I'm public interest, and I picked Berkeley over NYU. I would suggest visiting both and choosing the one you like best.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 am

Kronk wrote:
Rotor wrote:

I think if you're looking for PI in CA you couldn't do better than Berk. Maybe some of the other Boalties have a gloomier sense of job prospects (please weigh in)-- but I'm personally not sensing any real issues. Yes people might be having to work a bit more to get a job they want, but they are getting them. Like I said before, none of the (admittedly small) sample I know are employed and not in just some hourly rate doc review type jobs.

Khasekhemwy

Postby Khasekhemwy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi all! I recently found this site, and wanted to join this thread. I deferred last year, so I'm definitely going to be at Berkeley in the fall.

Khasekhemwy

Postby Khasekhemwy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:07 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Rotor wrote:

I'm public interest, and I picked Berkeley over NYU. I would suggest visiting both and choosing the one you like best.

I also chose UCB over NYU and want to do public interest. For me the quality of life in the bay area >>>>>> the quality of life in NYC, but it really depends on your personal preferences. If you can go to both ASWs and see what your gut feeling is. I think your career won't suffer no matter which school you choose.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Wow. This just in via an email from admissions:

In 2009, Berkeley Law tied for the third highest number of graduates placed in law teaching positions, trailing only Yale and Harvard.

Had no idea... Exciting stuff.

I wonder, though, if they mean 2009 graduates or total graduates as of 2009. Any insight?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:29 pm

Yeah. Berkeley seems to be where it's at.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”