Berkeley Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
tintin

Silver

Re: Berkeley Class of 2013

Post by tintin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:38 am

first day of class drained my soul a little!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 am

gymboree wrote:Hey Bilbo - what can we say, we're a pretty laid back group.
lol

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:23 am

tintin wrote:first day of class drained my soul a little!
Only a little? I guess your professors will have to work harder tomorrow.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:08 am

Just received my EFT notification. Did anyone else receive a smaller refund than anticipated?

My disbursement falls short of the cost of living budget (as projected on the Boalt website) by a pretty significant amount, not even including the projected cost of books (which widens the gap by another $750). Is anyone else in the same boat?

I was under the impression that, by "accepting" my financial aid package via BearFacts, I would receive a refund to cover the projected living expenses. I also have a perfect (and long) credit history, so I know there's no issue there.

EDIT: Just checked BearFacts, and it looks like my Perkins loan wasn't distributed. Maybe this comes later (I hope?). Either way, I'll leave this post up for reference, in case anyone else has the same concerns.[/b]

Oh, and EFT issues aside, law school has been strangely awesome so far...

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:49 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Just received my EFT notification. Did anyone else receive a smaller refund than anticipated?

My disbursement falls short of the cost of living budget (as projected on the Boalt website) by a pretty significant amount, not even including the projected cost of books (which widens the gap by another $750). Is anyone else in the same boat?

I was under the impression that, by "accepting" my financial aid package via BearFacts, I would receive a refund to cover the projected living expenses. I also have a perfect (and long) credit history, so I know there's no issue there.

EDIT: Just checked BearFacts, and it looks like my Perkins loan wasn't distributed. Maybe this comes later (I hope?). Either way, I'll leave this post up for reference, in case anyone else has the same concerns.[/b]

Oh, and EFT issues aside, law school has been strangely awesome so far...
Thanks for the heads up. Just checked mine and it was what I expected, about half the amount of loans I'd taken out for the whole year. I only have the Stafford ones though.

Also concur w/ the strangely awesome part :) What mod are you in, TG? (PM if you want)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Mine was about what I expected minus the Perkins. However I didn't get the email about the interview and promissary note for Perkins until about a week or so ago so I wasn't sure if that would come through.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:23 pm

lol @ pretentious upperclassmen.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:32 pm

It's definitely pretentious to not want to be run over when exiting a class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:It's definitely pretentious to not want to be run over when exiting a class.
I'd say even more pretentious to forget people in your class were the same way a year ago. I think I'll write a blog article called "The difference between us is one year at berkeley law, not forty-five years, five international wars, and three failed marriages."

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:33 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:

I'd say even more pretentious to forget people in your class were the same way a year ago. I think I'll write a blog article called "The difference between us is one year at berkeley law, not forty-five years, five international wars, and three failed marriages."
lol easy boys. Same team.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:08 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

Dude I still can't get over how different you look from the picture in your avatar.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:22 am

Kronk wrote:
My torts professor mocked the above mentioned boaltalk post today. Most of the people in class seemed to have no idea what he was talking about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:26 am

Shaggier1 wrote:
Quote:
bilbobaggins wrote:

Dude I still can't get over how different you look from the picture in your avatar.
Haha were you really expecting John Rawls to show up in your supermod?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:14 am

Only 361 days until I can start complaining about 1L's...can't wait!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Dignan wrote:
Kronk wrote:
My torts professor mocked the above mentioned boaltalk post today. Most of the people in class seemed to have no idea what he was talking about.
That's legit. Your professor reads TLS.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:13 am

Kronk wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Kronk wrote:
That's legit. Your professor reads TLS.
To be clear, my professor was referring to the silly seating chart rant on boaltalk.blogspot.com. I don't know if my prof reads TLS (I doubt it), but he definitely reads boaltalk.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:31 am

I was in that evidence class referenced in the blog post. Those were some really eager 1Ls. One of them stepped on my foot that was already injured. It was a tiny girl about a foot shorter than me, which of course narrows it down to about 100 people. So there is some small person in the 1L class I am not very happy with. The rest of you are okay so far.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:45 pm

Kronk wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:It's definitely pretentious to not want to be run over when exiting a class.
People in my class still behave this way. It is bad when anyone behaves this way. It was also fairly tongue in cheek.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:53 pm

I was unaware of the concept of book unbinding until this week...how many of you are planning on doing this? I really dislike the idea of tearing up my casebooks, but I don't know if my back can handle a semester of this weight.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I was unaware of the concept of book unbinding until this week...how many of you are planning on doing this? I really dislike the idea of tearing up my casebooks, but I don't know if my back can handle a semester of this weight.
I did it last year and it hurt to watch the guillotine chop through the spine. That feeling went away the next morning as I biked up the hill with about 5 lbs total in my backback-- a netbook and a binder with the week's readings for all my classes (and a clean shirt to change into).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Yeah, that sounds pretty nice. If I have any hopes of biking to school on a regular basis, I should probably do this. I like working at home, too, so leaving books in my locker isn't really an option. Where did you go for the unbinding service?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:15 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Yeah, that sounds pretty nice. If I have any hopes of biking to school on a regular basis, I should probably do this. I like working at home, too, so leaving books in my locker isn't really an option. Where did you go for the unbinding service?
Any of the copy places around campus do it. I don't know specifically which ones are the cheapest or best. I'm sure you can call and ask.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:44 pm

I looked over and the girl next to me in CivPro had taken 2 1/2 pages of notes in the first twenty minutes of class. Thumbs down.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:15 pm

For those of you who didn't get your full loan payment, I got an email from financial aid saying that there was some kind of system wide error and that the full payment is supposed to get into my account tonight. I would assume the same is true for other people. It would have been nice if they could have said something to begin with and not make people panic.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”