Berkeley Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
heyyitskatie

New

Re: Berkeley Class of 2013

Post by heyyitskatie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Has anyone received a confirmation e-mail for financial aid information? I'm sure they are swamped and I don't want to bother them if receiving nothing is the norm, but I'll definitely send them a letter if I'm the only one who hasn't received notice.

manu4ever882001

New

Post by manu4ever882001 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Last edited by manu4ever882001 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khasekhemwy

New

Post by Khasekhemwy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:38 pm

manu4ever882001 wrote:
heyyitskatie wrote:Has anyone received a confirmation e-mail for financial aid information? I'm sure they are swamped and I don't want to bother them if receiving nothing is the norm, but I'll definitely send them a letter if I'm the only one who hasn't received notice.

Only notices I have received are e-mails from FAFSA/NeedAccess saying that the information will become available to the schools selected. Haven't received anything from the Berkeley confirming they have received the information.
+1 I also never heard anything from UCB directly only from FAFSA/Needaccess. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

86revolt

Bronze

Post by 86revolt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:35 pm

heyyitskatie wrote:Has anyone received a confirmation e-mail for financial aid information? I'm sure they are swamped and I don't want to bother them if receiving nothing is the norm, but I'll definitely send them a letter if I'm the only one who hasn't received notice.
my first post on this thread, so super excited! got in via FR yesterday. i just called the finaid office and they said their goal is to get need-based awards out a week before ASW, so beginning of april i'm guessing.

as for how the need-based is calculated: they take the student budget. subtract a base loan amount of 46k. subtract your student contribution. subtract parent contribution (if you're under 30). the rest is your need-based amount.

so excited to meet the rest of you folks at ASW! boalt was#1 choice and a dream come true. i also went to cal as an undergrad and currently live in SF, so if anyone has any questions about the campus and city in general, i'd be glad to help if i can.

MahaloMontana

New

Post by MahaloMontana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi all --
Just got admitted yesterday and so excited. I was wondering if anyone could give me a brief idea of the schedule for ASW? I live in SF, but I had planned to be at a conference in Denver that week and my current return flight is for Sunday April 11. Obviously I want to change it to come for ASW, but I'm wondering if Friday is the big day to be there or Saturday? I'd prefer to fly home Friday night (best friend lives in Denver and want to spend quality time with her) and just attend on Saturday, but if there's a lot going on Friday then I don't wanna miss it. Can anyone help me out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sandiecohen47

Bronze

Post by sandiecohen47 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm joining the newly admitted group from FR. It is awesome that I can finally post in this thread. I will definitely try to make ASW and l look forward to meeting all of you. But, as MahaloMontana asked, is it on Friday or Saturday? I have a ten miler run on Sunday back on the East Coast... and I was wondering if I have to cancel.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:30 pm

MahaloMontana wrote:Hi all --
Just got admitted yesterday and so excited. I was wondering if anyone could give me a brief idea of the schedule for ASW? I live in SF, but I had planned to be at a conference in Denver that week and my current return flight is for Sunday April 11. Obviously I want to change it to come for ASW, but I'm wondering if Friday is the big day to be there or Saturday? I'd prefer to fly home Friday night (best friend lives in Denver and want to spend quality time with her) and just attend on Saturday, but if there's a lot going on Friday then I don't wanna miss it. Can anyone help me out?
From the admitted students website:

"We especially hope you will be able to attend our Admitted Students Weekend on April 8-10, 2010. We will begin with with a reception honoring diverse admits on Thursday evening, April 8, 2010. An official program will begin at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, April 9. Substantive and social activities are planned, including a mock class and sessions on various aspects of student life. These will include presentations by the students, faculty, and the Financial Aid Office. You will also get a chance to meet members of the student organizations and journals and hear about of our clinical and curricular concentration programs. Lunch will be provided. The day will conclude with a reception that will end by 5:00 p.m.

Additional informal events will be held on Saturday. In past years, these have included a hike in the Berkeley hills sponsored by the Ecology Law Quarterly and an excursion to San Francisco sponsored by the Queer Caucus. We will post more details about the weekend activities in the spring. Attire for all events will be casual."

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Congrats 86revolt and Mahalo!

MahaloMontana

New

Post by MahaloMontana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:29 pm

dudester wrote:
MahaloMontana wrote:Hi all --
From the admitted students website:

"We especially hope you will be able to attend our Admitted Students Weekend on April 8-10, 2010. We will begin with with a reception honoring diverse admits on Thursday evening, April 8, 2010. An official program will begin at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, April 9. Substantive and social activities are planned, including a mock class and sessions on various aspects of student life. These will include presentations by the students, faculty, and the Financial Aid Office. You will also get a chance to meet members of the student organizations and journals and hear about of our clinical and curricular concentration programs. Lunch will be provided. The day will conclude with a reception that will end by 5:00 p.m.

Additional informal events will be held on Saturday. In past years, these have included a hike in the Berkeley hills sponsored by the Ecology Law Quarterly and an excursion to San Francisco sponsored by the Queer Caucus. We will post more details about the weekend activities in the spring. Attire for all events will be casual."
Thank you so much. Looks like I'm cutting my trip to Denver quite short. Oh well. Thanks for the congrats everybody! See you at ASW.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sandiecohen47

Bronze

Post by sandiecohen47 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks, dudester! I really appreciate it. I look forward to meeting you all in a few weeks!

CoutureChiq

Bronze

Post by CoutureChiq » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Has anyone submitted the "definately planning to attend" form via the berkeley admitted students website yet? Did you get any sort of email confirmation? What did the email say?

Is there a paper version somewhere I can fax in?

86revolt

Bronze

Post by 86revolt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:26 pm

has anyone read or is anyone planning on reading anything from the suggested reading list posted on the admitted students website? i don't wanna spend my last summer of freedom reading about law but i may have time for one book. does anyone have any suggestions from that list? (length is a consideration.)

Edit: took out the list

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:38 pm

86revolt wrote:has anyone read or is anyone planning on reading anything from the suggested reading list posted on the admitted students website? i don't wanna spend my last summer of freedom reading about law but i may have time for one book. does anyone have any suggestions from that list? (length is a consideration.)

general consensus is that "Getting to Maybe" is a must read.

edit: I know it's not on the list... but seems to be recommended by every law student.
edit #2: If I'm picking just one book from the list, I'm going with:
Berring and Edinger, The Legal Research Survival Manual (2002)
This book is written to prepare the first-year law student for the first semester. It is short, flip and written by a Boalt professor and a Boalt reference librarian. It is no substitute for a course in legal research, but if you are coming to law school without any legal background, it is designed for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

manu4ever882001

New

Post by manu4ever882001 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Last edited by manu4ever882001 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:26 pm

So I'm committed. Still waiting on HYS but think I would only drop Boalt for YS at this point. Excited to meet you all in a couple weeks! Go Bears.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:36 pm

You're in at NYU too, right?
Kronk wrote:So I'm committed. Still waiting on HYS but think I would only drop Boalt for YS at this point. Excited to meet you all in a couple weeks! Go Bears.
You'd be flipping Dean Tom off the second you got a JR2.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:37 pm

dudester wrote:You're in at NYU too, right?
Kronk wrote:So I'm committed. Still waiting on HYS but think I would only drop Boalt for YS at this point. Excited to meet you all in a couple weeks! Go Bears.
In but withdrew from NYU. Only considering UofC w/ $$ over Boalt but I tentatively committed to Boalt and assuming they give me any sort of aid that might make the two costs similar I will go.

And I really don't have a desire to attend a school as big as Harvard, so I actually think I'm pretty serious about that one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:42 pm

For me it's basically came down to Berkeley/Stanford. Either way I'm happy to be able to stay on the best coast.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:50 pm

Kronk wrote:
dudester wrote:You're in at NYU too, right?
In but withdrew from NYU. Only considering UofC w/ $$ over Boalt but I tentatively committed to Boalt and assuming they give me any sort of aid that might make the two costs similar I will go.
I don't know what your career goals are, but I'd find it hard to turn down Chicago, even if Boalt offered me competing aid.
Kronk wrote:And I really don't have a desire to attend a school as big as Harvard, so I actually think I'm pretty serious about that one.
Interesting, interesting. Are you straight from undergrad?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:05 pm

dudester wrote:I don't know what your career goals are, but I'd find it hard to turn down Chicago, even if Boalt offered me competing aid.
Kronk wrote:And I really don't have a desire to attend a school as big as Harvard, so I actually think I'm pretty serious about that one.
Interesting, interesting. Are you straight from undergrad?

As for Chicago, the scholarship is $75,000, which makes the total COA there like $130,000, which is still a ton. Berkeley has a much better LRAP and both integrate with the federal LRAP at this point. Also, only really interested in PI and want to live in the Bay Area so there's that.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 pm

gymboree wrote:
86revolt wrote:has anyone read or is anyone planning on reading anything from the suggested reading list posted on the admitted students website? i don't wanna spend my last summer of freedom reading about law but i may have time for one book. does anyone have any suggestions from that list? (length is a consideration.)

edit: I know it's not on the list... but seems to be recommended by every law student.
This book is written to prepare the first-year law student for the first semester. It is short, flip and written by a Boalt professor and a Boalt reference librarian. It is no substitute for a course in legal research, but if you are coming to law school without any legal background, it is designed for you.
You have to read that for LRW anyway, and most people don't read it because it isn't all that useful. Don't think about law school before you get here. Go relax and enjoy yourself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

86revolt

Bronze

Post by 86revolt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:32 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
gymboree wrote:

You have to read that for LRW anyway, and most people don't read it because it isn't all that useful. Don't think about law school before you get here. Go relax and enjoy yourself.
Thanks for the advice. I don't really want to concern myself with law school related stuff this summer. But I do enjoy (light) reading and was wondering if any of the books listed on the website can be categorized as "fun". Alternatively, I'll just read books that I've been putting off for a while...Confederacy of Dunces, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Human Stain, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius...

heyyitskatie

New

Post by heyyitskatie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:54 am

86revolt wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I don't really want to concern myself with law school related stuff this summer. But I do enjoy (light) reading and was wondering if any of the books listed on the website can be categorized as "fun". Alternatively, I'll just read books that I've been putting off for a while...Confederacy of Dunces, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Human Stain, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius...
Definitely read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's very light reading and hilarious.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:19 am

Everyone should read East of Eden before they die.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:54 am

If you want light but still slightly law related, there's Supreme Courtship. Funny.
http://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Courtship ... 672&sr=8-1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”