Wisconsin-Madison Class of 2013! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
politicsmajor

New

Re: Wisconsin-Madison Class of 2013!

Post by politicsmajor » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:43 am

@clc8883, thanks for offering your knowledge of the local flavor. I've heard that the best neighborhoods for UW law students are Bassett and Vilas, is that right? I've heard that some areas, while they have a big UW presence, are party-heavy and can be pretty distracting. I'd love to get your thoughts on that.

Also, is it a hassle to find parking in Madison? I keep hearing horror stories about that. I know you have to get a permit if you park off-street. Is that really expensive, then?

Thanks!

Shimmer649

New

Post by Shimmer649 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I don't want to steal clc's thunder, but here's my personal take on the parking issue: Madison parking blows. Parking near the University is not cheap, and the traffic at peak times can be difficult. Most everyone I know who attended UW either lived within walking distance, had a scooter, lived near a busline, or more than one of the above.

Long story short: look to use one of those options, and don't bank on the usefulness of your car to get you to class.
This is good advice. There will be a is a plethora of available apartments for Aug 15. My 2c is plan ahead when you're looking and find one right on a Metro Bus route to Bascom. http://trip.cityofmadison.com/

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:27 pm

you won't be driving to class, let's just put it that way.

get a place near a bus stop or within biking/walking distance.

politicsmajor

New

Post by politicsmajor » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:52 am

How ironic that I move from one area that has crappy parking (Bay Area, CA) to another. Oy.

Well, I don't think I will get rid of my car, since I might use it for grocery shopping, visiting nearby family. Any suggestions as to what to do when you will have a car, but want to hopefully avoid selling your kidney to pay for monthly parking?

Does anyone know when UW-Madison's orientation begins? Any idea what to expect for that?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:08 am

politicsmajor wrote:How ironic that I move from one area that has crappy parking (Bay Area, CA) to another. Oy.

Well, I don't think I will get rid of my car, since I might use it for grocery shopping, visiting nearby family. Any suggestions as to what to do when you will have a car, but want to hopefully avoid selling your kidney to pay for monthly parking?

Does anyone know when UW-Madison's orientation begins? Any idea what to expect for that?
Street parking's $20/year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clc8883

New

Post by clc8883 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:39 am

+1 on the whole parking issue. Parking in Madison is terrible downtown, either you will pay a ridiculous amount or risk getting ticketed. A lot of the street parking is 2 hour, and parking enforcement will drive around, chalk your tires, etc, etc. They aren't usually too bad with ticketing but it's always a possibility. Street parking is limited as it is and from my experience has all kinds of crazy rules, i.e., what side of the street to park on for certain days, snow emergencies, etc. I definitely wouldn't rely on a car to get to class but I wouldn't want to be without one either because getting to even places like the grocery store, Target, etc. can be a hassle without one. The bus system is pretty reliable, it's just time consuming. Plus it's nice to have a car because there is stuff to do (The Dells, Milwaukee, Chicago, etc.) all within driving distance for any free time, God willing.

Vilas neighborhood is pretty good for students, though you would need to bus it or ride a scoot if you have one to class because it is kind of a hike from the law school. That's a campus area where there starts to be some families mixed in so it isn't quite as loud. If you want quiet, avoid apartments on Breese Terrace or Regent Street---that's right by the football stadium and it is loud. Also, Langdon Street is frat and sorority row so that can get pretty obnoxious. Personally if you don't mind a 25-40 minute bus ride to get to school I would recommend not living downtown. You will get a much quieter neighborhood and more bang for your buck as far as housing. For example, right now I live on the west side with one roommate who is a 2L. She drives half way into downtown and parks her car on the street where it is lax with street parking, and then catches the bus the rest of the way in. We have a 2 bedroom 2 bath, washer and dryer in unit, an underground parking spot, clubhouse with pool, fitness room and tanning and our rent is only $465 per person. Just something to think about.

So I suggest a pre-orientation get together at the Great Dane....hopefully those that are fellow Madisonians can vouch for this. ;)

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Parking on Madison streets is stupid. The first time I parked on a street some douchebag kicked my windshield in. The next time, I got ticketed because I was on the wrong side of the street on the wrong day blah blah (it switches everyday..). That law was put in for snow-plowing purposes... there was absolutely no snow anywhere to be seen and I still got ticketed..

rabble rabble rabble..

clc8883

New

Post by clc8883 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Mmm....a Dotty's Cheddar Melt. And cheese curds. And an Ale Asylum Madtown Nut Brown. I'm in love.

Devin the Dude

New

Post by Devin the Dude » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:55 am

Is it realistic to find a cheap place to live within a 10-20 minute walk to the law school, assuming I don't care about the condition of the apartment and I don't have a car? It seems like all the CL ads are for nicer apartments farther away from campus. I don't want to drive anywhere or take a bus, especially after drinking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:06 am

Devin the Dude wrote:Is it realistic to find a cheap place to live within a 10-20 minute walk to the law school, assuming I don't care about the condition of the apartment and I don't have a car? It seems like all the CL ads are for nicer apartments farther away from campus. I don't want to drive anywhere or take a bus, especially after drinking.
cheapest seems to be in the 7000-800 range for a double (per person) or 950 for a single if you want to be 10 minutes or so away

price seems to drop pretty much after the 15-20 minute range into the 550-750 range per person.

if anyone is looking for a roommate yet, i'd prefer to live with another person in an apartment (prefer law student just so it's similar schedules). Let me know and we can chat or something. I've been down here for a few days checking places out, so i have a pretty good feel for the area.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:14 am

Panther7 wrote:
Devin the Dude wrote:Is it realistic to find a cheap place to live within a 10-20 minute walk to the law school, assuming I don't care about the condition of the apartment and I don't have a car? It seems like all the CL ads are for nicer apartments farther away from campus. I don't want to drive anywhere or take a bus, especially after drinking.
cheapest seems to be in the 7000-800 range for a double (per person) or 950 for a single if you want to be 10 minutes or so away

price seems to drop pretty much after the 15-20 minute range into the 550-750 range per person.

if anyone is looking for a roommate yet, i'd prefer to live with another person in an apartment (prefer law student just so it's similar schedules). Let me know and we can chat or something. I've been down here for a few days checking places out, so i have a pretty good feel for the area.
Our apartment for next year is ~10 minutes from State Street and the law school and it's $1430/month for the three of us, including all utilities. The places are definitely out there, you just really need to take the time to look for them. We probably checked out at least 10-15 apartments before finding one we really liked.

As a side note--private landlords >>> property management companies...always. If there are any problems, they're usually addressed much quicker.

lawcycle2010

New

Post by lawcycle2010 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:47 pm

hey everyone,

although i'm still on the WL, my best friend's parents are landlords in Madison.

I was asked to post on the site, in her apartment complex they have some singles available for $520 a month. They ONLY rent to grad students and its in a super quiet area about 15-20 min walking from the law school.

PM me if you want more details, i can give you her contact info.

politicsmajor

New

Post by politicsmajor » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:07 pm

I am down the Great Dane before orientation, or anywhere where I can wet my beak, sort of speak.

any of you all have facebook? PM me your fb link, and I will do the same.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:21 am

1) Don't live in the Lucky unless you want to be hated by the rest of campus
2) We have something called 'safe ride buses' that get you most places on campus for free at night and they come by every 15 minutes. Check it out before you lock yourself into an MPM property dowtown

fivemilestonirvana

New

Post by fivemilestonirvana » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:48 pm

Hey guys,

I am really torn between Wisconsin and Wash U in St. Louis. I got scholarships at both schools that make them basically the same in price. I have roots in Wisconsin too (family/friends/sig other).

I've heard a lot of opinions from people who HAVEN'T ever been through the law school app and decision process. What do you guys think?

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Sat May 01, 2010 12:57 pm

fivemilestonirvana wrote:Hey guys,

I am really torn between Wisconsin and Wash U in St. Louis. I got scholarships at both schools that make them basically the same in price. I have roots in Wisconsin too (family/friends/sig other).

I've heard a lot of opinions from people who HAVEN'T ever been through the law school app and decision process. What do you guys think?
FWIW I've heard that unless you have regional ties working in St. Louis/Atlanta is impossible (and going to WUSTL doesn't count as regional ties). WUSTL is a good school but the weird eliteism of the South (yes Missouri is in the South not the Midwest) will work against you.

For Wisconsin, it's just the opposite. Having friends family here is great, but our weird elitism mainly extends to the school you are attending. Combine that with diploma privilege and the fact that the only other game in town is a T3 and I would strongly suggest coming here.

Wisconsin has a robust state government (we hire a lot of lawyers) to supplement hiring for the limited biglaw that will be available in this economy, and enough Largeish small law job to make life at manageable if not great at median.

Just learn how to survive our winter's and try not to be a dick about it and i think you'll be fine

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 pm

In at UW off the wait list! Looking foward to seeing you all in fall!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tvink

New

Post by tvink » Thu May 06, 2010 1:59 pm

iamtaw wrote:current undergrad here. i unfortunately withdrew yesterday. hope TLSer gets my spot!
I love the Marshall picture, haha.

I just got in off the waitlist.

Modian

New

Post by Modian » Tue May 11, 2010 3:58 pm

Got off the WL a few weeks ago, but finally decided to add a little A next to UW on LSN:)

clc8883

New

Post by clc8883 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:38 am

Hey for those of us currently in Madison....I am trying to get a group together to go to the Terrace this coming Wed. the 19th at 6 pm for some brews and getting to know you conversation.....pm me if you are interested in tagging along!!!!

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:18 am

hey did anyone else notice that UW changed their first year program? Needless to say I am pleased, because before I think we needed to take LRW both fall and spring. Any thoughts on this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Modian

New

Post by Modian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Has anyone tried applying for GradPlus loans yet? I tried to do it on the site where I signed my promissory note, but it's not letting me. Do I have to wait until Stafford loans are dispersed?

blueprint87

New

Post by blueprint87 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:17 am

Modian wrote:Has anyone tried applying for GradPlus loans yet? I tried to do it on the site where I signed my promissory note, but it's not letting me. Do I have to wait until Stafford loans are dispersed?

I filled out the GradPlus request form on the UW financial aid site and faxed it in. They processed it same day. HTH

Modian

New

Post by Modian » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks guys!

Poster Child

New

Post by Poster Child » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:36 am

Hey,
I know that a lot of people are probably moving in soon or at least coming to visit Madison. I just finished my undergrad at UW and will be going to law school here in the fall, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. I just wanted to see if any TLS people wanted a tour of the town before hand or wanted to grab some drinks sometime, before school starts. Just thought I'd throw it out there. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”