Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
2
15%
The bestest ever?
4
31%
The best there has ever been?
7
54%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Shlonster » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:42 am

roundabout wrote:Okay, it's totes offish- sent in my deposit, withdrew everywhere else, and getting psyched for Ann Arbor in the fall! I know this is discussed elsewhere in TLS, but are any fall starters doing any prep over the summer? I'm planning on spending 99% of my time wrapping up three years at a great job, traveling, resting my brain, etc., but just curious what I should do with that other 1%.


I will definitely be spending the summer preparing for this fall, mainly by hanging out on the beach and drinking some beers down in Nicaragua. It should be pretty intense and is about all I would recommend doing.


Honestly, I've heard that prepping yourself doesn't really help that much.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:45 am

I read getting to maybe. It's a good light read on exams and doesn't take very long to get through. I've also been flipping through "The Stuff of Thought" by Steven Pinker, which has very little to do with law school, but is a good book overall on constructing and deconstructing arguments. A friend that graduated from law school last year recommended it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stuff_of_Thought That's probably going to be about it.

User avatar
roundabout
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby roundabout » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:47 am

Awesome. I'll be kicking things off with some champagne celebrations tonight, and hopefully I can keep things around that level for the rest of the summer. Book recommendations sound good, too, in between hanging out- cheers!

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:52 am

roundabout wrote:Okay, it's totes offish- sent in my deposit, withdrew everywhere else, and getting psyched for Ann Arbor in the fall! I know this is discussed elsewhere in TLS, but are any fall starters doing any prep over the summer? I'm planning on spending 99% of my time wrapping up three years at a great job, traveling, resting my brain, etc., but just curious what I should do with that other 1%.


roundabout wrote:Awesome. I'll be kicking things off with some champagne celebrations tonight, and hopefully I can keep things around that level for the rest of the summer. Book recommendations sound good, too, in between hanging out- cheers!


Cheers roundabout! :D

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby ShibaDan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:56 am

cardinalandgold wrote:Anyone bringing a dog with them to AA? If so, what kind of dog do you have? We will be bringing our two Italian Greyhounds. With all this talk about a support group for SO's/spouses, we need to set up a TLS doggy play date!


I'm bringing my Shiba from Japan! He's awesome.

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Reinhardt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:51 pm

I don't know if everyone has seen it, but once you have a uniqname you can make use of some perks through the UM Computer Showcase. If anyone is thinking of getting an iPhone for instance, students are entitled to a 10% discount off their AT&T monthly bill. You can also get a very tiny discount at the Dell store, and a discount at the Apple store (which I think is easy to get regardless).

http://showcase.itcs.umich.edu/

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby cardinalandgold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:13 pm

def2104 wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Anyone bringing a dog with them to AA? If so, what kind of dog do you have? We will be bringing our two Italian Greyhounds. With all this talk about a support group for SO's/spouses, we need to set up a TLS doggy play date!


I'm bringing my Shiba from Japan! He's awesome.

Shiba's are pretty awesome! Did you get your dog while you were in Japan?

tamago12
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby tamago12 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Officially sent in the deposit! Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to live. The Lawyer's Club sounds...intense.

User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Shlonster » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:02 pm

tamago12 wrote:Officially sent in the deposit! Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to live. The Lawyer's Club sounds...intense.


Congratuations :)

I'll be at the LC, but my situation is a lil diff from other peoples -- i'm outta the country all summer and haven't been able to make a trip to AA -- so, the LC, while expensive, will be the easiest for me, and i'm not looking for any extra challenges. Hopefully it'll be alright. Someone living off campus needs to be my friend so I can escape.

tamago12
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby tamago12 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:45 pm

Shlonster wrote:
tamago12 wrote:Officially sent in the deposit! Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to live. The Lawyer's Club sounds...intense.


Congratuations :)

I'll be at the LC, but my situation is a lil diff from other peoples -- i'm outta the country all summer and haven't been able to make a trip to AA -- so, the LC, while expensive, will be the easiest for me, and i'm not looking for any extra challenges. Hopefully it'll be alright. Someone living off campus needs to be my friend so I can escape.


Yeah, my thoughts exactly. The LC sounds very convenient, but I worry about being around law students 24/7, especially near finals time. That and I've been out of college for a few years, and am not looking forward to dorm living again.

Maybe I need to start some research on apartments. At least it looks like there lots of good info in this thread! :)

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:03 pm

tamago12 wrote:
Shlonster wrote:
tamago12 wrote:Officially sent in the deposit! Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to live. The Lawyer's Club sounds...intense.


Congratuations :)

I'll be at the LC, but my situation is a lil diff from other peoples -- i'm outta the country all summer and haven't been able to make a trip to AA -- so, the LC, while expensive, will be the easiest for me, and i'm not looking for any extra challenges. Hopefully it'll be alright. Someone living off campus needs to be my friend so I can escape.


Yeah, my thoughts exactly. The LC sounds very convenient, but I worry about being around law students 24/7, especially near finals time. That and I've been out of college for a few years, and am not looking forward to dorm living again.

Maybe I need to start some research on apartments. At least it looks like there lots of good info in this thread! :)


Go to Harbor House! Helm and I will be living there.

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Reinhardt » Sat May 01, 2010 12:21 am

Has anyone looked at Mill Creek? It has great reviews on apartment-ratings, is $700 a month for a 1-BR, and the Packard bus will take you right to the law school. It's a bit farther away than Woodbury and Harbor House, but if you're taking the bus anyway, that may not be so important...

Also, does Harbor House do 9 month leases?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:26 am

Reinhardt wrote:Has anyone looked at Mill Creek? It has great reviews on apartment-ratings, is $700 a month for a 1-BR, and the Packard bus will take you right to the law school. It's a bit farther away than Woodbury and Harbor House, but if you're taking the bus anyway, that may not be so important...

Also, does Harbor House do 9 month leases?


I don't think they do.

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby ShibaDan » Sat May 01, 2010 12:51 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
def2104 wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Anyone bringing a dog with them to AA? If so, what kind of dog do you have? We will be bringing our two Italian Greyhounds. With all this talk about a support group for SO's/spouses, we need to set up a TLS doggy play date!


I'm bringing my Shiba from Japan! He's awesome.

Shiba's are pretty awesome! Did you get your dog while you were in Japan?


Yeah! He'll be turning 1 right about the first week of classes. He loves other dogs, never barks or bites. He couldn't ever be a guard dog he loves everyone. I swear if I was being mugged he'd run up to the attacker with a ball in his mouth and want to play catch, or shake hands, or give a high five. Anyway, doggie play dates sound great. Where are you living?

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby ShibaDan » Sat May 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Shlonster wrote:
tamago12 wrote:Officially sent in the deposit! Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to live. The Lawyer's Club sounds...intense.


Congratuations :)

I'll be at the LC, but my situation is a lil diff from other peoples -- i'm outta the country all summer and haven't been able to make a trip to AA -- so, the LC, while expensive, will be the easiest for me, and i'm not looking for any extra challenges. Hopefully it'll be alright. Someone living off campus needs to be my friend so I can escape.


I'm doing all this from Japan and have found it not too terrible to find a place. I think if you wanted you should be able to. I found a 1BR a 5 minute walk from campus utilities included for only $700 a month. Seems like a sweet place, the previous tenant highly recommended it.

User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Shlonster » Sat May 01, 2010 2:02 pm

def2104 wrote:
Shlonster wrote:
tamago12 wrote:Officially sent in the deposit! Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to live. The Lawyer's Club sounds...intense.


Congratuations :)

I'll be at the LC, but my situation is a lil diff from other peoples -- i'm outta the country all summer and haven't been able to make a trip to AA -- so, the LC, while expensive, will be the easiest for me, and i'm not looking for any extra challenges. Hopefully it'll be alright. Someone living off campus needs to be my friend so I can escape.


I'm doing all this from Japan and have found it not too terrible to find a place. I think if you wanted you should be able to. I found a 1BR a 5 minute walk from campus utilities included for only $700 a month. Seems like a sweet place, the previous tenant highly recommended it.


Well, I should mention a couple things - one, I'm traveling in Central America, so the internet will be rare, and I don't want to spend my time down there reading craigslist anyway. Second, I am pretty lazy and whatever. Third, I don't mind them not having a kitchen, as I can't cook, and will just have to suffer foodwise for a year.

Anyway, it's cool you can do it all long distance and find a place you like, you're now officially my off campus friend that serves as my escape - thanks :)

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby cardinalandgold » Sat May 01, 2010 3:09 pm

def2104 wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
def2104 wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Anyone bringing a dog with them to AA? If so, what kind of dog do you have? We will be bringing our two Italian Greyhounds. With all this talk about a support group for SO's/spouses, we need to set up a TLS doggy play date!


I'm bringing my Shiba from Japan! He's awesome.

Shiba's are pretty awesome! Did you get your dog while you were in Japan?


Yeah! He'll be turning 1 right about the first week of classes. He loves other dogs, never barks or bites. He couldn't ever be a guard dog he loves everyone. I swear if I was being mugged he'd run up to the attacker with a ball in his mouth and want to play catch, or shake hands, or give a high five. Anyway, doggie play dates sound great. Where are you living?

One of my dogs just turned two and she is still such a puppy (though she's calmed down a LOT! Thank god!). Hopefully your dog isn't as crazy as mine. I might just have to do all of my studying at the library. In terms of where I'll be living, I'm not sure yet. I'll be bringing the wife to be, so the Lawyer's Club is out, and since she won't have a job right away we will be trying to slum it for a year and go with the cheapest decent place we can find.

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby cardinalandgold » Sat May 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Shlonster wrote:
def2104 wrote:
Shlonster wrote:
tamago12 wrote:Officially sent in the deposit! Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to live. The Lawyer's Club sounds...intense.


Congratuations :)

I'll be at the LC, but my situation is a lil diff from other peoples -- i'm outta the country all summer and haven't been able to make a trip to AA -- so, the LC, while expensive, will be the easiest for me, and i'm not looking for any extra challenges. Hopefully it'll be alright. Someone living off campus needs to be my friend so I can escape.


I'm doing all this from Japan and have found it not too terrible to find a place. I think if you wanted you should be able to. I found a 1BR a 5 minute walk from campus utilities included for only $700 a month. Seems like a sweet place, the previous tenant highly recommended it.


Well, I should mention a couple things - one, I'm traveling in Central America, so the internet will be rare, and I don't want to spend my time down there reading craigslist anyway. Second, I am pretty lazy and whatever. Third, I don't mind them not having a kitchen, as I can't cook, and will just have to suffer foodwise for a year.

Anyway, it's cool you can do it all long distance and find a place you like, you're now officially my off campus friend that serves as my escape - thanks :)

:mrgreen:

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:49 pm

def2104 wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
def2104 wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Anyone bringing a dog with them to AA? If so, what kind of dog do you have? We will be bringing our two Italian Greyhounds. With all this talk about a support group for SO's/spouses, we need to set up a TLS doggy play date!


I'm bringing my Shiba from Japan! He's awesome.

Shiba's are pretty awesome! Did you get your dog while you were in Japan?


Yeah! He'll be turning 1 right about the first week of classes. He loves other dogs, never barks or bites. He couldn't ever be a guard dog he loves everyone. I swear if I was being mugged he'd run up to the attacker with a ball in his mouth and want to play catch, or shake hands, or give a high five. Anyway, doggie play dates sound great. Where are you living?


We should have a TLS meetup at a dog park or something. My dog loves other dogs as well.

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby ShibaDan » Sun May 02, 2010 12:09 am

cardinalandgold wrote:One of my dogs just turned two and she is still such a puppy (though she's calmed down a LOT! Thank god!). Hopefully your dog isn't as crazy as mine. I might just have to do all of my studying at the library. In terms of where I'll be living, I'm not sure yet. I'll be bringing the wife to be, so the Lawyer's Club is out, and since she won't have a job right away we will be trying to slum it for a year and go with the cheapest decent place we can find.


He's pretty calm. If I need to do something he'll stay out of my way or entertain himself with one of the millions of toys I bought him. But, he does like to play and if I ignore him all day he's not amused. 10 minutes of play time placates him though.

Shlonster - I love cooking and will have a backyard, so you are more than welcome. :lol:

User avatar
e_ticket
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby e_ticket » Sun May 02, 2010 12:45 am

Welcome to Michigan, everyone!

Just finishing up my 1L year, and I love the school. I think you guys have many great things to look forward to. That said, make sure you have a chill summer before you turn into the dreaded law student! 8)

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 02, 2010 9:01 am

blhoward2 wrote:
We should have a TLS meetup at a dog park or something. My dog loves other dogs as well.


You should check out Swift Run Dog Park at the corner of Platt and Packard, about 3 miles from campus. It's a large, off-leash, fully fenced in dog park. I have two nearly-two-year-old Golden Retrievers, and they looooove the open space to run in. Plus, of course, there are lots of dogs to play with.

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby ShibaDan » Sun May 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Alexandria wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:
We should have a TLS meetup at a dog park or something. My dog loves other dogs as well.


You should check out Swift Run Dog Park at the corner of Platt and Packard, about 3 miles from campus. It's a large, off-leash, fully fenced in dog park. I have two nearly-two-year-old Golden Retrievers, and they looooove the open space to run in. Plus, of course, there are lots of dogs to play with.


This sounds so amazing because I love dogs that I will probably end up just staying there all day playing with them all. But yeah I'm down with a doggie play date. :D

JRMjr
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby JRMjr » Sun May 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Anyone going to be in AA next week? I'm officially making the move to MI and have a down week to unpack and mill around AA while the SO works in DC. If anyone wants to grab a beer, lemme know!

User avatar
bees
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby bees » Tue May 04, 2010 1:42 am

Has anyone who has completed all the financial aid stuff gotten any sort of confirmation?

I've filled out and signed everything and double checked it all, but it would still be nice if Michigan would send me something that says my schooling will be paid for and I won't have any nasty surprises.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest