Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

holydonkey

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby holydonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:Just withdrew this morning. Enjoy AA ladies and gentlemen. :cry:
Have you made up your mind on UVA, Duke, $$$$?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:34 am

holydonkey wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Just withdrew this morning. Enjoy AA ladies and gentlemen. :cry:

I'll know at the end of the week where I'll be. I'm pretty set against double depositing. At this point, I think Duke is the dark horse, and it's basically between UVA and WUSTL. WUSTL is currently winning in my mind due to finances and family, but I really haven't decided against either UVA or Duke.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:00 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

I'll know at the end of the week where I'll be. I'm pretty set against double depositing. At this point, I think Duke is the dark horse, and it's basically between UVA and WUSTL. WUSTL is currently winning in my mind due to finances and family, but I really haven't decided against either UVA or Duke.

Good luck wherever you go, Grapes!

alien d

Postby alien d » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:37 pm

Deposit is in the mail!

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:46 pm

alien d wrote:Deposit is in the mail!
congrats!

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm

now that ive deposited im super anxious to start :mrgreen:
shouldve done summerstart :lol:

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:now that ive deposited im super anxious to start :mrgreen:

+1 ... but fall start is ftw--even though summer starters seem like nice people, too. :wink:

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Same here. I would've loved to have done summer start if I weren't getting married this summer. Turns out it's kind of important that I show up for that :lol:

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:48 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:

Same here. I would've loved to have done summer start if I weren't getting married this summer. Turns out it's kind of important that I show up for that :lol:

Ha! Congrats on the wedding! :mrgreen:

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:50 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:

Congrats! How does she/he feel about moving to AA?

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:53 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:

Just take her down to vegas and elope. Girls say they care about weddings, but it's all a facade. She'd be super pumped if you tell her you have a suprise, blindfold her, and drive her to an elvis chapel. Don't even invite her folks. It's better that way. I promise, she'll love it.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:

Thanks! She doesn't mind AA, but is understandably worried about finding a job. She was hoping that I would decide on Vandy, but after visiting it just didn't feel right. We made an agreement that if she doesn't find a job during my first year in law school, she may have to relocate to another city for my last two years in order to work. It will suck being without her for 2 years, but I also want her to be happy (she is a teacher and wants nothing more than to have her own classroom). She is also a California girl and afraid of the cold, so Michigan will be a big change for her :D

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:02 pm

holydonkey wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:

Just take her down to vegas and elope. Girls say they care about weddings, but it's all a facade. She'd be super pumped if you tell her you have a suprise, blindfold her, and drive her to an elvis chapel. Don't even invite her folks. It's better that way. I promise, she'll love it.

Trust me, we've both thought about doing that :lol: It's about 40 days until we get married and she is stressing out about everything. If only we hadn't already paid a huge deposit on our venue...

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:13 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:

Thanks! She doesn't mind AA, but is understandably worried about finding a job. She was hoping that I would decide on Vandy, but after visiting it just didn't feel right. We made an agreement that if she doesn't find a job during my first year in law school, she may have to relocate to another city for my last two years in order to work. It will suck being without her for 2 years, but I also want her to be happy (she is a teacher and wants nothing more than to have her own classroom). She is also a California girl and afraid of the cold, so Michigan will be a big change for her :D

Good Luck! Hopefully the market in Michigan is better than NYC. I have a bunch of friends that just got their teaching masters degree and cant get jobs cause there's a nyc public school hiring freeze. does she have a job that she could go back to in a year?

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:Congrats! How does she/he feel about moving to AA?

Good Luck! Hopefully the market in Michigan is better than NYC. I have a bunch of friends that just got their teaching masters degree and cant get jobs cause there's a nyc public school hiring freeze. does she have a job that she could go back to in a year?

She is currently substitute teaching. And the market in Southern California for teachers is one of the worst in the nation right now. It also does not help that she is a music teacher, and when there are budget cuts the arts are the first place they start cutting.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding, Cardinal! :D

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:42 pm

tamlyric wrote:Ha! Congrats on the wedding! :mrgreen:
Aeon wrote:Congratulations on the upcoming wedding, Cardinal! :D
Thanks guys! :D

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:36 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:

I hear the schools in AA are fantastic -- don't know if that means it will be harder for her to find a job (seems likely, sorry) or that they are always looking for great teachers to come join the flock (possible!)

After spending significant time away from my SO, i wouldn't wish it on anyone. Looking forward to meeting you sometime amigo.

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:29 am

Does anyone know if there's any way to pay a seat deposit with a card? Or does it have to be a cheque? And does it have to be postmarked by 4/30 or received by then?

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:12 am

roundabout wrote:Does anyone know if there's any way to pay a seat deposit with a card? Or does it have to be a cheque? And does it have to be postmarked by 4/30 or received by then?
There wasn't any information about paying with a card, but you might call admissions to ask. The check was simply made out to the university of michigan, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to fax an authorization form (unless they don't want to pay the service charge :wink:). There should be a cash office at the university to process a payment by credit authorization. There is no online deposit system.

I don't have the form anymore, but I believe it said check to be postmarked by the 30th. Anyone want to fact check that if you still have your form?

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:01 am

cardinalandgold wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:

Trust me, we've both thought about doing that :lol: It's about 40 days until we get married and she is stressing out about everything. If only we hadn't already paid a huge deposit on our venue...

as a to-be-married-in-27 days guy, eloping was SO the right path. even she agrees now! quit work may 7, married may 22nd, summer start june 1. not sure how I came up with that plan....

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 am

holydonkey wrote:
roundabout wrote:Does anyone know if there's any way to pay a seat deposit with a card? Or does it have to be a cheque? And does it have to be postmarked by 4/30 or received by then?
There wasn't any information about paying with a card, but you might call admissions to ask. The check was simply made out to the university of michigan, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to fax an authorization form (unless they don't want to pay the service charge :wink:). There should be a cash office at the university to process a payment by credit authorization. There is no online deposit system.

I don't have the form anymore, but I believe it said check to be postmarked by the 30th. Anyone want to fact check that if you still have your form?

I thought I saw that the University doesn't take credit cards for things like this and tuition...

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:17 am

Shlonster wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:

I hear the schools in AA are fantastic -- don't know if that means it will be harder for her to find a job (seems likely, sorry) or that they are always looking for great teachers to come join the flock (possible!)

After spending significant time away from my SO, i wouldn't wish it on anyone. Looking forward to meeting you sometime amigo.

Yeah, the schools in Ann Arbor are supposed to be awesome. While we were visiting AA, she actually went to the Ann Arbor School District Office to ask them about job openings, but they said that not only were they not hiring for the upcoming school year, but they were probably going to have to lay off a bunch of teachers :cry:

I'm not looking forward to possibly spending two years apart, but if we have to spend some time apart for us to both get what we want and be happy in the long run, so be it. There's always Skype and long weekends!

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 am

JRMjr wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Just take her down to vegas and elope. Girls say they care about weddings, but it's all a facade. She'd be super pumped if you tell her you have a suprise, blindfold her, and drive her to an elvis chapel. Don't even invite her folks. It's better that way. I promise, she'll love it.

as a to-be-married-in-27 days guy, eloping was SO the right path. even she agrees now! quit work may 7, married may 22nd, summer start june 1. not sure how I came up with that plan....

Wow, 27 days. It's going to be a hectic month for you. I can't imagine getting married and then starting law school a week later. Good luck man!

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 am

cardinalandgold wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Just take her down to vegas and elope. Girls say they care about weddings, but it's all a facade. She'd be super pumped if you tell her you have a suprise, blindfold her, and drive her to an elvis chapel. Don't even invite her folks. It's better that way. I promise, she'll love it.

Wow, 27 days. It's going to be a hectic month for you. I can't imagine getting married and then starting law school a week later. Good luck man!

Wow is right. Congrats JRMjr! Sounds like there will be a good number of us coming to A2 with SOs. :D

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”