Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
2
15%
The bestest ever?
4
31%
The best there has ever been?
7
54%
 
Total votes: 13

beamsmehome
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby beamsmehome » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:29 am

.
Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Aeon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:06 am

beamsmehome wrote:Hi all! I've been admitted RD for Summer Start. I haven't decided yet but Mich is definitely one of my top choices. I grew up just outside of Philadelphia, but have visited Ann Arbor and loved it. Are you guys going to attend either of the ASWs?

Also, anybody out there know any information on nearby national parks, hiking trails, canoeing or anything of the sort? Just curious. I could probably google this :mrgreen:

There aren't any national parks in the close vicinity, but the City of Ann Arbor maintains pretty large parklands themselves, where you can hike and just in general enjoy nature. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that there might also be canoeing on one of the lakes formed by one of the dams on the Huron River...I can't recall exactly which one off the top of my head, though. If you enjoy nature, don't worry, there's plenty of that in and around A2. :D

beamsmehome
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby beamsmehome » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:35 am

.
Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaville
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:43 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby shaville » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:45 am

Does anyone know if the $10k figure for the 9 month lease at the lawyers club includes the food? Or is that figure only for a room?

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:59 am

I'm pretty sure it's room + the meal plan...

z*z
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby z*z » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:15 pm

beamsmehome wrote:Hi all! I've been admitted RD for Summer Start. I haven't decided yet but Mich is definitely one of my top choices. I grew up just outside of Philadelphia, but have visited Ann Arbor and loved it. Are you guys going to attend either of the ASWs?

Also, anybody out there know any information on nearby national parks, hiking trails, canoeing or anything of the sort? Just curious. I could probably google this :mrgreen:



I grew up just outside of Ann Arbor and I am avid outdoor enthusiast. Just thirty minutes north of AA is Highland Recreation Area (west of Pontiac). They have surprisingly decent MB trails. Also if you move to Michigan head up north while your here. The western shoreline of the state is an outdoor paradise. Also, if you,re up for a drive, visit the UP. It is one the prettiest places I have ever seen. (I have seen most of the Continental United States). Bottom line, if you are looking for an active outdoor lifestyle you will not be disappointed with Michigan.

beamsmehome
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby beamsmehome » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:22 pm

.
Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acedeuce
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Acedeuce » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:21 pm

beamsmehome wrote:Hi all! I've been admitted RD for Summer Start. I haven't decided yet but Mich is definitely one of my top choices. I grew up just outside of Philadelphia, but have visited Ann Arbor and loved it. Are you guys going to attend either of the ASWs?

Also, anybody out there know any information on nearby national parks, hiking trails, canoeing or anything of the sort? Just curious. I could probably google this :mrgreen:



Also accepted RD for Summer Start. Super excited, although I haven't decided either, but Michigan is obviously a great school that I am very interested in.

As far nature activities in Ann Arbor I have to mention Nichols Arboretum. It has great trails, and is beautiful in the spring and fall. Canoing on the Huron River is always among my favorite things to do in Ann Arbor during the summers.

I was thinking first ASW, I believe it's March 11-13?(or thereabouts). Can't wait to meet you all, especially all you summer starters.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Aeon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:13 pm

beamsmehome wrote:Thanks a lot for the information! I googled the UP, I suppose that is Upper Peninsula? It looks pretty awesome.

Yep, that's the Upper Peninsula...where Yoopers live. You know what they call people who live below the (Mackinac) Bridge? Trolls. :lol:

Seriously, though, the UP is a gorgeous place, with plenty of wonderful places to visit. Definitely worth taking at least one trip up there!

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:58 am

Hey all -- anyone else get the email from Admissions saying you could potentially qualify for in-state status? I'm from Michigan and lived there many moons ago, so I'm wondering if anyone has intel on how flexible they are in evaluating one's Michigander-ness.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Aeon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:25 am

mayosmith wrote:Hey all -- anyone else get the email from Admissions saying you could potentially qualify for in-state status? I'm from Michigan and lived there many moons ago, so I'm wondering if anyone has intel on how flexible they are in evaluating one's Michigander-ness.

From what I've seen, it's fairly difficult to get Michigan residency, but it's certainly possible, depending upon one's circumstances. I'd take a look at the University's residency guidelines to see if it might be worthwhile to submit an Application for Residency Classification.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby rockchalk86 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Anyone know when we can sign up for ASW?

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:01 pm

Aeon wrote:
mayosmith wrote:Hey all -- anyone else get the email from Admissions saying you could potentially qualify for in-state status? I'm from Michigan and lived there many moons ago, so I'm wondering if anyone has intel on how flexible they are in evaluating one's Michigander-ness.

From what I've seen, it's fairly difficult to get Michigan residency, but it's certainly possible, depending upon one's circumstances. I'd take a look at the University's residency guidelines to see if it might be worthwhile to submit an Application for Residency Classification.


It's very hard if you don't have a previous tie to the state. Keep in mind that the tuition difference is pretty small, unlike with Michigan UG...

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Happy new year to all!

Did any other Michigan admits get a Darrow (application) invite in the last few weeks from Dean Zarfoss?

I got an e-mail in late December saying that I would be an excellent candidate and that I should apply for the Darrow (which requires a 500 word essay). I haven't had the time yet but I plan on devoting the next few days to working hard on it.

Anyone know the significance (if any) of this invite? Do lots of people get it?

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 am

starstruck393 wrote:
Aeon wrote:
mayosmith wrote:Hey all -- anyone else get the email from Admissions saying you could potentially qualify for in-state status? I'm from Michigan and lived there many moons ago, so I'm wondering if anyone has intel on how flexible they are in evaluating one's Michigander-ness.

From what I've seen, it's fairly difficult to get Michigan residency, but it's certainly possible, depending upon one's circumstances. I'd take a look at the University's residency guidelines to see if it might be worthwhile to submit an Application for Residency Classification.


It's very hard if you don't have a previous tie to the state. Keep in mind that the tuition difference is pretty small, unlike with Michigan UG...

The thing is, I do have previous ties...I grew up there, and both my parents still live there. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this. Even saving $4K a year is nice when you plan on becoming a do-gooder lawyer.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:15 am

mayosmith wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Aeon wrote:
mayosmith wrote:Hey all -- anyone else get the email from Admissions saying you could potentially qualify for in-state status? I'm from Michigan and lived there many moons ago, so I'm wondering if anyone has intel on how flexible they are in evaluating one's Michigander-ness.

From what I've seen, it's fairly difficult to get Michigan residency, but it's certainly possible, depending upon one's circumstances. I'd take a look at the University's residency guidelines to see if it might be worthwhile to submit an Application for Residency Classification.


It's very hard if you don't have a previous tie to the state. Keep in mind that the tuition difference is pretty small, unlike with Michigan UG...

The thing is, I do have previous ties...I grew up there, and both my parents still live there. Just wondering if anyone had experience with this. Even saving $4K a year is nice when you plan on becoming a do-gooder lawyer.


How long/why have you been away? If it was just for college, you may have a shot. To apply, you get a residency packet and have to show proof to support your claim, like copies of your parents' drivers licenses and utility bills to show their residency, documents showing your own former residency, why you were away, etc. Did you switch your license/voting to another state, and is your "permanent" address in another state? That would definitely hurt you. Michigan is notoriously difficult to obtain residency in, but like I said, you may have a shot.

User avatar
kumba84
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby kumba84 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:21 am

beamsmehome wrote:Hi all! I've been admitted RD for Summer Start. I haven't decided yet but Mich is definitely one of my top choices. I grew up just outside of Philadelphia, but have visited Ann Arbor and loved it. Are you guys going to attend either of the ASWs?

Also, anybody out there know any information on nearby national parks, hiking trails, canoeing or anything of the sort? Just curious. I could probably google this :mrgreen:


If you have a car, the eastern coast of Lake Michigan is beautiful--from Benton Harbor up to Mackinaw City. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is along there. The vineyards on Old Mission Peninsula, near the top of the lower peninsula, are really nice as well.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 am

kumba84 wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:Hi all! I've been admitted RD for Summer Start. I haven't decided yet but Mich is definitely one of my top choices. I grew up just outside of Philadelphia, but have visited Ann Arbor and loved it. Are you guys going to attend either of the ASWs?

Also, anybody out there know any information on nearby national parks, hiking trails, canoeing or anything of the sort? Just curious. I could probably google this :mrgreen:


If you have a car, the eastern coast of Lake Michigan is beautiful--from Benton Harbor up to Mackinaw City. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is along there. The vineyards on Old Mission Peninsula, near the top of the lower peninsula, are really nice as well.


You mean western coast. And I agree! :) I feel like too many Michigan Law students just stick to Ann Arbor and maybe Detroit for the occasional baseball game. There are some really gorgeous parts of the state that people should get out and explore!

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 am

Alexandria wrote:
kumba84 wrote:
beamsmehome wrote:Hi all! I've been admitted RD for Summer Start. I haven't decided yet but Mich is definitely one of my top choices. I grew up just outside of Philadelphia, but have visited Ann Arbor and loved it. Are you guys going to attend either of the ASWs?

Also, anybody out there know any information on nearby national parks, hiking trails, canoeing or anything of the sort? Just curious. I could probably google this :mrgreen:


If you have a car, the eastern coast of Lake Michigan is beautiful--from Benton Harbor up to Mackinaw City. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is along there. The vineyards on Old Mission Peninsula, near the top of the lower peninsula, are really nice as well.


You mean western coast. And I agree! :) I feel like too many Michigan Law students just stick to Ann Arbor and maybe Detroit for the occasional baseball game. There are some really gorgeous parts of the state that people should get out and explore!


Western coast of Michigan, eastern coast of Lake Michigan. But yea, it's an awesome and beautiful area, both in the summer and winter.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:00 pm

starstruck393 wrote:How long/why have you been away? If it was just for college, you may have a shot. To apply, you get a residency packet and have to show proof to support your claim, like copies of your parents' drivers licenses and utility bills to show their residency, documents showing your own former residency, why you were away, etc. Did you switch your license/voting to another state, and is your "permanent" address in another state? That would definitely hurt you. Michigan is notoriously difficult to obtain residency in, but like I said, you may have a shot.

Oh, I've been away for a while, several years. But sadly, I only just got rid of my MI license last year. I'll just apply and see what happens -- I appreciate the counsel!

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby beesknees » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Hey everyone, decided to check in here since the Michigan 2010 thread is overrun by the recent decision batches and the confusion caused by not being able to log onto the ASW.

Anyway, I got my decision and was able to log in! I saw under "Mailings and Money" that they have me at "Admit Term: Spring/Summer 2010." Won't be getting my packet til next weekend because I'm away, but was wondering if anyone knew if that I meant I was accepted to be a Summer Starter.

I'm not sure if I want to do SS (concerns about graduating in Dec and roaming around looking for employment for several months) and I'd be giving up 2 months of work time earning $. Anyone here a SS for 2010? Wondering what you think about the early grad date's impact on employment (the work time I'll have to see if its worth working that extra 2 months). I've only been out of school for a year, but the "easing back into school" thing sounds nice.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Aeon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:04 pm

beesknees wrote:Hey everyone, decided to check in here since the Michigan 2010 thread is overrun by the recent decision batches and the confusion caused by not being able to log onto the ASW.

Anyway, I got my decision and was able to log in! I saw under "Mailings and Money" that they have me at "Admit Term: Spring/Summer 2010." Won't be getting my packet til next weekend because I'm away, but was wondering if anyone knew if that I meant I was accepted to be a Summer Starter.

I'm not sure if I want to do SS (concerns about graduating in Dec and roaming around looking for employment for several months) and I'd be giving up 2 months of work time earning $. Anyone here a SS for 2010? Wondering what you think about the early grad date's impact on employment (the work time I'll have to see if its worth working that extra 2 months). I've only been out of school for a year, but the "easing back into school" thing sounds nice.

Hey, Beesknees, major congrats on your Michigan acceptance! :D

The "Admit Term: Spring/Summer 2010" does indeed mean that you've been admitted as a Summer Starter. Michigan has both a Spring (May-June) and a Summer (July-August) term, but the law school works on a slightly different schedule, hence the hybrid Spring/Summer designation.

I'm also a Summer Starter for 2010, and based on what I've heard, I'd agree that the lighter summer load, as well as smaller class size, are awesome to get yourself into law school life in a lower-stress environment. Plus, you get one semester of the previous year's tuition, which should be lower than the new tuition which comes into force in Fall 2010. I don't really have any apprehensions about potentially graduating in December 2012 (before the world ends? :lol: ); some law firms are willing to hire associates earlier, and if they really like you during your 2L summer job, you might be able to negotiate an earlier start or some other arrangement. You could also do a dual degree, study abroad, take a semester off, or just end up going for an extra semester to graduate in May 2013.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Aeon wrote:The "Admit Term: Spring/Summer 2010" does indeed mean that you've been admitted as a Summer Starter. Michigan has both a Spring (May-June) and a Summer (July-August) term, but the law school works on a slightly different schedule, hence the hybrid Spring/Summer designation.

Hold up -- are you sure? Mine says that as well, and I didn't apply to be a summer starter...

User avatar
bees
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby bees » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:10 pm

I feel like SS will only help in the end - especially if you strike out at OCI you'll have a semester to pursue (mass mail resumes) out to whatever field you are interested in. I'm also not opposed to the lighter load of classes.

tumbleweed664
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby tumbleweed664 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:12 pm

beesknees wrote:Hey everyone, decided to check in here since the Michigan 2010 thread is overrun by the recent decision batches and the confusion caused by not being able to log onto the ASW.

Anyway, I got my decision and was able to log in! I saw under "Mailings and Money" that they have me at "Admit Term: Spring/Summer 2010." Won't be getting my packet til next weekend because I'm away, but was wondering if anyone knew if that I meant I was accepted to be a Summer Starter.

I'm not sure if I want to do SS (concerns about graduating in Dec and roaming around looking for employment for several months) and I'd be giving up 2 months of work time earning $. Anyone here a SS for 2010? Wondering what you think about the early grad date's impact on employment (the work time I'll have to see if its worth working that extra 2 months). I've only been out of school for a year, but the "easing back into school" thing sounds nice.


I'm a summer starter for 2010, there is a facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=185832579302 (oh this modern world we live in)

I talked to a summer starter about this. He said that there aren't any issues with employment. Most firms are happy to have you start earlier (that may not be true anymore, though he graduated in '09). If you are doing a clerkship you may have to find something to do for awhile. Keep in mind that is just one person.

He said the one thing summer starters should remember is that because they take one less class the first semester, they have to take an extra one at some point later. Some people apparently forget that, and then Fall 3L rolls around...




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest