Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

Joan Hollaway

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Joan Hollaway » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:03 am

doinmybest wrote:Fellow Michigan 0Ls Rate My winter preparedness on a scale from 1-10!!

I grew up in Miami and I live in Atlanta. To me, 2 Inches of snow is an epic blizzard that requires school to be canceled for a minimum of 4 days.

I own one fleece (which I thought was a jacket until it was explained to me that it was clearly a fleece)

I have no gloves, and I have no beanie/toboggan/earmuffs.

I don't own a sweatshirt or sweatpants. I have no snow boots.

What are long-johns??

To me, anything below 40 degrees is too cold to be outside.

How am I doing so far??

:lol: I'm from ny and I'm dreading the mich winters, good luck adjusting! Hope you're living in the LC so you don't have to walk around much in the cold, def the main reason I'm living there.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 am

Amelie wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Fellow Michigan 0Ls Rate My winter preparedness on a scale from 1-10!!

I grew up in Miami and I live in Atlanta. To me, 2 Inches of snow is an epic blizzard that requires school to be canceled for a minimum of 4 days.

I own one fleece (which I thought was a jacket until it was explained to me that it was clearly a fleece)

What are long-johns??

How am I doing so far??

Haha you're in for a bit of a shock. You don't even own a sweatshirt?? Personally, I'm investing in one of these http://images.usoutdoorstore.com/usoutdoorstore/products/full/tnf_aajg_blk_08.jpg

Wow that jacket looks serious. Where is the best online place to buy this kind of stuff?

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:09 am

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 am

What are long-johns??

How am I doing so far??

you'll be fine. however, my rating is -17.25. The only thing that saved you from a rating of "dead on arrival" was the fleece part

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:12 am

I suggest a northface
Edit: didn't click amelies link. That's the exact jacket I have. Its bulky but super warm and weatherproof.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am

tamlyric wrote:For a reference point:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/a ... h/USMI0028

tamlyric,

This graph just tells me that on average its too cold to go outside 7 months out of the year.

JRMjr wrote:you'll be fine. however, my rating is -17.25. The only thing that saved you from a rating of "dead on arrival" was the fleece part

Sometimes I rock the fleece with shorts if its in the 50s.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 am

doinmybest wrote:Wow that jacket looks serious. Where is the best online place to buy this kind of stuff?

http://www.usoutdoorstore.com/shop/mens/jackets/ Northface is good (what I'm getting), but expensive. I feel like some things should on sale though.

Joan Hollaway wrote:I suggest a northface
Edit: didn't click amelies link. That's the exact jacket I have. Its bulky but super warm and weatherproof.

Yea, I have a peacoat but that probably isn't enough for the coldest days. I hate being cold, but I think that will do the trick.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:25 am

doinmybest wrote:
tamlyric wrote:For a reference point:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/a ... h/USMI0028

tamlyric,

This graph just tells me that on average its too cold to go outside 7 months out of the year.

JRMjr wrote:you'll be fine. however, my rating is -17.25. The only thing that saved you from a rating of "dead on arrival" was the fleece part

Sometimes I rock the fleece with shorts if its in the 50s.

Will to power, my friend. Will.to.power. :wink:

Seriously, though, making it through the cold and--gasp!--enjoying it has just as much to do with one's attitude as one's clothing. It's nice to be able to walk around in jeans, a sweater, and a stocking cap without breaking a sweat.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:34 am

IS THAT A FREE ASW TSHIRT? (in your 'tar)

dammit! wish i'd gone.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:38 am

parker09 wrote:

IS THAT A FREE ASW TSHIRT? (in your 'tar)

dammit! wish i'd gone.

Haha indeed it is, did you make a decision yet? I've been following your cycle since you're my #s twin but yours pwned mine :oops: :lol:
Amelie northface is expensive but its worth it over the years. I paid 250 for mine and I've had it for 4 winters and hopefully it will last me three more...

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:53 am

Joan Hollaway wrote:Amelie northface is expensive but its worth it over the years. I paid 250 for mine and I've had it for 4 winters and hopefully it will last me three more...

Oh definitely, I've had my northface fleeces since high school. I've just been a little bit too good at spending money lately...

And I have to say, that weather link makes me very happy about my decision to live in the LC.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am

What's the difference?

I'm hoping I'll be fine, though I expect I'll need to buy boots. I have a coat that did fine when I was on vacation in Chicago last January. I also have a nice scarf, though I'm trying to get my mom to knit me a Dr Who one. Yea, I'm a dork like that. :lol:

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:52 am

Joan Hollaway wrote:Haha indeed it is, did you make a decision yet? I've been following your cycle since you're my #s twin but yours pwned mine :oops: :lol:

...I think I'm depositing at Columbia... within the hour :oops:
Still think I'd love being at Michigan, and I think the TLS Mich 2013 community is the nicest/funniest group on here which bodes well for the general student body, but CLS might be more aligned with my personal career goals.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:36 pm

parker09 wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:Haha indeed it is, did you make a decision yet? I've been following your cycle since you're my #s twin but yours pwned mine :oops: :lol:

...I think I'm depositing at Columbia... within the hour :oops:
Still think I'd love being at Michigan, and I think the TLS Mich 2013 community is the nicest/funniest group on here which bodes well for the general student body, but CLS might be more aligned with my personal career goals.

:shock:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding: best wishes! But still, nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! :oops:

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:07 pm

Anybody know when MAPS sign up is going to be?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:19 pm

holydonkey wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
bfinlayson wrote:"Do you want a coke?"

"Yeah, can you hand me that diet Dr. Pepper?"
this really isnt any worse than calling everything pop. Also, in Ann Arbor if you say you want "tea".... the person will ask you what variety. In the south, if you want "tea", you know whats coming.
It just seems odd to ask for one thing by saying the brand name of a different variety
Ever ask for a Q-tip, Kleenex or Band-aid?

The difference is that those products are nearly identical. I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference between a Q-Tip brand and generic brand cotton swab, whether a tissue is Kleenex of Puffs, if a bandage is Band-aid brand or generic, whether a copy was made on a Xerox or Canon copier, etc. But asking for a coke when you want a Pepsi is like asking for Harley when you want a Suzuki crotch rocket. The difference between the established name and other brands is significant.

Technically, you should always be given the brand you ask for if you use a brand name generically, or told that the brand isn't available. It's sad that I know this, but there's even case law to support that. Most times though, for things like tissue, bandages, etc., people don't care about the brand. I just find it counter-intuitive to use a brand name as an overarching description , when that brand's product differs so much from the other products that overarching description encompasses...

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:36 pm

New Yorker transplanted to "Flarida". Not too worried about the weather. Got my leather jacket, hair grease, and a spot in the LC (They got tunnels, right?)

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Bronte wrote:Anybody know when MAPS sign up is going to be?

Ok, deposited today. What is MAPS? Will I miss it if I'm out of the country until the end of July?

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:08 pm

byunbee wrote:
Bronte wrote:Anybody know when MAPS sign up is going to be?

Ok, deposited today. What is MAPS? Will I miss it if I'm out of the country until the end of July?

MAP is the Michigan Access Program, which is basically a pre-orientation program that many of us did and highly recommend. Think of it as 4-5 days where you get put up in a fairly nice hotel and get to meet about 40 students early and spend the week doing basic (and incredibly easy/non-stressful) law school "prep" type of stuff (another mock class, team-building exercises, and you get to try your hand at a fun little oral argument), all the while going out drinking with them every night. If I recall correctly, they send out the information after the first deposits so everybody gets it about the same time. Sign up early, since a lot of people were waitlisted for the program since it can only take so many people.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:43 pm

holydonkey wrote:
tamlyric wrote::lol:

I was wondering when someone might raise other instances of the same phenomenon. In defense of JRMjr, though, does anyone know the brand names of other "Q-tips," "Kleenex," or "Band-aids," much less generic words for the same kinds of things they represent (other than "tissues" for Kleenex)? :oops:
Well for tissues, a lot of people use "Puffs" and "Scott". Q-tips and brand-aids are pretty much it I guess.

Coke controls about 40-45% of the total soft drink market. Kleenex has about a 60% share in tissues. I guess there's enough of a gap there for more people to ask for Kleenex than Coke as a generic product. Considering Pepsi has about a 35% share of the market, using pop or soda makes a lot of sense, especially since cola only accounts for about 60-70% of the total industry. However, Pepsi focuses on sales through retail while Coke dominates in fountain drink sales 65% to 21%. So, if you're out a restaurant and would like a fountain drink, it makes as much sense to ask for a coke as asking for a kleenex at home.

So anyway, I think we're going to law school in Michigan or something.

I work in the advertising industry right now and I've noticed that companies like Xerox put out a lot of ads in trade magazines discouraging the use of genericized trademarks (e.g. "don't say I Xerox'd this!"), because of a fear of a losing a trademark. Seems like kind of a Sisyphean task to try to stop stuff like that.

Anyone else set up their UMich email account? Again, this was bizarrely exciting.

EDIT: Speaking of weather, one thing I noticed at the ASW was Michigan students walking around in shorts and short sleeves when it was pretty freaking cold out. I'm from NY and I would never walk around like that in 40 degree weather. I guess the winters are pretty brutal.
Last edited by goodolgil on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:45 pm

goodolgil wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
tamlyric wrote::lol:

I was wondering when someone might raise other instances of the same phenomenon. In defense of JRMjr, though, does anyone know the brand names of other "Q-tips," "Kleenex," or "Band-aids," much less generic words for the same kinds of things they represent (other than "tissues" for Kleenex)? :oops:
Well for tissues, a lot of people use "Puffs" and "Scott". Q-tips and brand-aids are pretty much it I guess.

Coke controls about 40-45% of the total soft drink market. Kleenex has about a 60% share in tissues. I guess there's enough of a gap there for more people to ask for Kleenex than Coke as a generic product. Considering Pepsi has about a 35% share of the market, using pop or soda makes a lot of sense, especially since cola only accounts for about 60-70% of the total industry. However, Pepsi focuses on sales through retail while Coke dominates in fountain drink sales 65% to 21%. So, if you're out a restaurant and would like a fountain drink, it makes as much sense to ask for a coke as asking for a kleenex at home.

So anyway, I think we're going to law school in Michigan or something.

I work in the advertising industry right now and I've noticed that companies like Xerox put out a lot of ads in trade magazines discouraging the use of genericized trademarks (e.g. "don't say I Xerox'd this!"), because of a fear of a losing a trademark. Seems like kind of a Sisyphean task to try to stop stuff like that.

Anyone else set up their UMich email account? Again, this was bizarrely exciting.

Yup, set up my email like a week ago. Even got the user name I wanted! :D

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:48 pm

I got the name I wanted as well, but I had a hell of a time with the password (again. I posted a thread about my adventures with UT's password system awhile back).

EDIT: BTW, the "Maize" email totally pwns the "Blue"

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:49 pm

How long did it take you guys from seat deposit time to e-mail ready to be set up time?

hartjen2

Postby hartjen2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Helmholtz wrote:How long did it take you guys from seat deposit time to e-mail ready to be set up time?

I sent mine in on a Wednesday and got the email Saturday. I was surprised by how quickly it came! However, my name was too long/ taken so my uniqname is really awkward and now I think everyone is going to spell my name wrong....

ps I have that jacket also!

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:15 am

for those that want to wait to get winter stuff, Ann Arbor has a great Bivouac and REI that usually have great sales.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”