Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:16 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:For current students and people in the area already...

What time do the buses stop running? How do you all get home when you drink? Are cabs expensive?

Where are you living? I think most people walk home, but most people live within walking distance of campus (and thus the bars). I wanna say the Michigan buses run til 2 or 2:30, but AATA I'm not sure. And I think there's a free cab service, night-ride or something, that gives you a limited number of nighttime rides per year...

Harbor House, down by the mall.

RE parking, Harbor House gives you a free underground spot with your apartment. There is a parking search thing on one of the school's housing sites. A month ago when I looked, there were some for $50-75 but they may all be gone.

bees

Postby bees » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm

soyable wrote:The place I found to sublet has free parking...aaaand I'm looking for roomates. It's about 15 minutes from the law quad, close to Kerrytown. PM me if interested. ($550/month, all inclusive).

Thanks, but I've actually got a place already, now I'm just trying to find a decently close spot to park my car.

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:10 am

starstruck393 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
tamlyric wrote:To y'all Southerners: a hearty congrats and a warm welcome! :D

More importantly, though, is it "soda," "pop," or "coke?"

Regardless, GO BLUE! :wink:

Here it's coke no matter what it is... hahah

I think if you ask for a Pepsi (or Sprite or Mountain Dew or w/e) by calling it a "Coke," people would give even weirder looks than if you asked for a soda.

BTW, how does that work, asking for something else by saying coke?

"Do you want a coke?"

"Yeah, can you hand me that diet Dr. Pepper?"

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:24 am

bfinlayson wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
tamlyric wrote:To y'all Southerners: a hearty congrats and a warm welcome! :D

I think if you ask for a Pepsi (or Sprite or Mountain Dew or w/e) by calling it a "Coke," people would give even weirder looks than if you asked for a soda.

"Do you want a coke?"

\

this really isnt any worse than calling everything pop. Also, in Ann Arbor if you say you want "tea".... the person will ask you what variety. In the south, if you want "tea", you know whats coming.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 am

JRMjr wrote:
bfinlayson wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:To y'all Southerners: a hearty congrats and a warm welcome! :D

"Do you want a coke?"

\

this really isnt any worse than calling everything pop. Also, in Ann Arbor if you say you want "tea".... the person will ask you what variety. In the south, if you want "tea", you know whats coming.

It just seems odd to ask for one thing by saying the brand name of a different variety

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:51 am

Soda ftw :P

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:54 am

starstruck393 wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
bfinlayson wrote:"Do you want a coke?"

It just seems odd to ask for one thing by saying the brand name of a different variety
Ever ask for a Q-tip, Kleenex or Band-aid?

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:01 am

holydonkey wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
JRMjr wrote:

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 am

doinmybest wrote:

all the dots make emeril look thin.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:11 am

holydonkey wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
JRMjr wrote:

:lol:

I was wondering when someone might raise other instances of the same phenomenon. In defense of starstruck, though, does anyone know the brand names of other "Q-tips," "Kleenex," or "Band-aids," much less generic words for the same kinds of things they represent (other than "tissues" for Kleenex)? :oops:
Last edited by tamlyric on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:16 am

JRMjr wrote:
doinmybest wrote:

hmmm.... you're on to something.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:23 am

doinmybest wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
doinmybest wrote:

hmmm.... you're on to something.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing--didn't realize it was Emeril in the photo until I looked more closely after thinking that nobody else walks around yelling, "Bam!"

*Big bucks to the person who invents dot-aura machine (think tanning machine that gives one a dotted aura instead a golden-brown hue*
Last edited by tamlyric on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 am

tamlyric wrote:
I was wondering when someone might raise other instances of the same phenomenon. In defense of JRMjr, though, does anyone know the brand names of other "Q-tips," "Kleenex," or "Band-aids," much less generic words for the same kinds of things they represent (other than "tissues" for Kleenex)? :oops:

xerox is another one.... nobody says "photocopy", everyone says "can you xerox this?"

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:27 am

JRMjr wrote:
tamlyric wrote:
I was wondering when someone might raise other instances of the same phenomenon. In defense of JRMjr, though, does anyone know the brand names of other "Q-tips," "Kleenex," or "Band-aids," much less generic words for the same kinds of things they represent (other than "tissues" for Kleenex)? :oops:

xerox is another one.... nobody says "photocopy", everyone says "can you xerox this?"

LOLz. True enough. Do people still say "xerox," though? Seems like "xeroxing" might have been an 80s thing. :wink:

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:28 am

tamlyric wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

LOLz. True enough. Do people still say "xerox," though? Seems like "xeroxing" might have been an 80s thing. :wink:

I am a government contractor so.... maybe its just the government? ha

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:30 am

tamlyric wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

No this is an 80s thing.
--ImageRemoved--

Ok I'll stop now...

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:33 am

holydonkey wrote:Ever ask for a Q-tip, Kleenex or Band-aid?

donkey, after witnessing a variety of tls posts you have made, i have concluded that you're kind of awesome.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:34 am

doinmybest wrote:
tamlyric wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

No this is an 80s thing.
--ImageRemoved--

Ok I'll stop now...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!

Clearly, the credited response from doinmybest, the doinmybestinator, doin his best... makin' copies...

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:37 am

tamlyric wrote::lol:

Well for tissues, a lot of people use "Puffs" and "Scott". Q-tips and brand-aids are pretty much it I guess.

Coke controls about 40-45% of the total soft drink market. Kleenex has about a 60% share in tissues. I guess there's enough of a gap there for more people to ask for Kleenex than Coke as a generic product. Considering Pepsi has about a 35% share of the market, using pop or soda makes a lot of sense, especially since cola only accounts for about 60-70% of the total industry. However, Pepsi focuses on sales through retail while Coke dominates in fountain drink sales 65% to 21%. So, if you're out a restaurant and would like a fountain drink, it makes as much sense to ask for a coke as asking for a kleenex at home.

So anyway, I think we're going to law school in Michigan or something.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:38 am

parker09 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Ever ask for a Q-tip, Kleenex or Band-aid?

donkey, after witnessing a variety of tls posts you have made, i have concluded that you're kind of awesome.
:D

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:39 am

holydonkey wrote:So anyway, I think we're going to law school in Michigan or something.

Yeah... how bout that whole law school in Michigan thing?

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:41 am

holydonkey wrote:
tamlyric wrote::lol:

Well for tissues, a lot of people use "Puffs" and "Scott". Q-tips and brand-aids are pretty much it I guess.

Coke controls about 40-45% of the total soft drink market. Kleenex has about a 60% share in tissues. I guess there's enough of a gap there for more people to ask for Kleenex than Coke as a generic product. Considering Pepsi has about a 35% share of the market, using pop or soda makes a lot of sense, especially since cola only accounts for about 60-70% of the total industry. However, Pepsi focuses on sales through retail while Coke dominates in fountain drink sales 65% to 21%. So, if you're out a restaurant and would like a fountain drink, it makes as much sense to ask for a coke as asking for a kleenex at home.

So anyway, I think we're going to law school in Michigan or something.

ROFLMAO. I yield the floor. :lol:

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:54 am

Fellow Michigan 0Ls Rate My winter preparedness on a scale from 1-10!!

I grew up in Miami and I live in Atlanta. To me, 2 Inches of snow is an epic blizzard that requires school to be canceled for a minimum of 4 days.

I own one fleece (which I thought was a jacket until it was explained to me that it was clearly a fleece)

I have no gloves, and I have no beanie/toboggan/earmuffs.

I don't own a sweatshirt or sweatpants. I have no snow boots.

What are long-johns??

To me, anything below 40 degrees is too cold to be outside.

How am I doing so far??

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:00 am

doinmybest wrote:Fellow Michigan 0Ls Rate My winter preparedness on a scale from 1-10!!

I grew up in Miami and I live in Atlanta. To me, 2 Inches of snow is an epic blizzard that requires school to be canceled for a minimum of 4 days.

I own one fleece (which I thought was a jacket until it was explained to me that it was clearly a fleece)

What are long-johns??

How am I doing so far??

Haha you're in for a bit of a shock. You don't even own a sweatshirt?? Personally, I'm investing in one of these http://images.usoutdoorstore.com/usoutdoorstore/products/full/tnf_aajg_blk_08.jpg

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:02 am

doinmybest wrote:Fellow Michigan 0Ls Rate My winter preparedness on a scale from 1-10!!

What are long-johns??

How am I doing so far??

No worries. Enduring the cold season is more about will power than winter gear. 8)

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”