Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

Wolverhoo

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Wolverhoo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:02 pm

Alright, it's time I moved in here...

I looked through the AS website and general website and cannot figure out how to send in my seat deposit.. can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, how do I get my umich email address?

Thank you!

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 pm

Seems like snail mail is the way to go - you send a check with the enrollment deposit request form you received in your acceptance packet.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Wolverhoo wrote:Alright, it's time I moved in here...

I looked through the AS website and general website and cannot figure out how to send in my seat deposit.. can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, how do I get my umich email address?

Thank you!

I e-mailed and asked this. You send a check with the original form (if you don't have it anymore...they will e-mail one). After they receive your deposit, you will receive a letter with a code and instructions for setting up your umich account.

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Thanks guys,

I was prepared to send the full $600 but it seems like they want two separate deposits- did anyone send the full amount?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Wolverhoo wrote:Thanks guys,

I was prepared to send the full $600 but it seems like they want two separate deposits- did anyone send the full amount?

Not yet but they are getting two checks in one envelope tomorrow. I haven't mailed a check in 2 years...I'm not mailing two now.

Core

Postby Core » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
Wolverhoo wrote:Thanks guys,

Not yet but they are getting two checks in one envelope tomorrow. I haven't mailed a check in 2 years...I'm not mailing two now.

Ahaha that was great. I just Loled.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:31 am

blhoward2 wrote:

Thank you!

I e-mailed and asked this. You send a check with the original form (if you don't have it anymore...they will e-mail one). After they receive your deposit, you will receive a letter with a code and instructions for setting up your umich account.

They send the code by snail mail?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:03 am

thalassocrat wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

Thank you!

That's what I read somewhere. I think it was on the computing requirements page for admitted students.

weee

Postby weee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:52 am

blhoward2 wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

Thank you!

That's what I read somewhere. I think it was on the computing requirements page for admitted students.

Given the amount of mailings I have gotten so far this does not surprise me. Michigan appears to love supporting the usps.

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 am

awesomepossum wrote:the complex itself is really nice and the people are mostly grad student types with some families thrown in.

the surrounding area is also pretty nice. there's a bar/bowling alley across the street and a nearby kroger's and cvs. There's a salvation army a little ways away. I dunno if that would be considered unsavory or not.

oh, the other thing I like about woodbury is the van service. They run a van to the business/law school around once an hour on weekdays. I saw the van sitting there on saturdays as well but I don't know if it actually runs on saturdays.

not to mention the free breakfast Wednesday hahah. I signed a 9 month lease at Woodbury for next year. The plus for me was the underground storage that is free over the summer.

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:47 pm

If anyone is a summer starter and interested in testing the Woodbury waters for a few months, my roommates and I are on the hunt for a subletter for our 3-bedroom townhouse from mid-may until the end of July. Perfect time (and the only time!) to use Woodbury's pool, since most of the year it's way too cold!

Additionally, one of my roommates is likely staying and renewing the lease, so there may be an opportunity to continue the lease through the school year. PM if you might be interested, and I'll send you more details! Price for the summer is negotiable - we're just looking to offset some of the cost of having to pay double rent while we're gone for summer =)

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm

They send the info for creating your UM uniqname by email, by the way. Just checked my email and it's there.

ankit

Postby ankit » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Did anyone get a chance to check out Nob Hill Apartments, and have any impressions to share? Or perhaps some current students who live there can chime in. Those seem to be pretty popular with law & business school students, but I'm not sure about quality/distance from the school.

Also if anyone has suggestions regarding condos/lofts close to campus, please shout. We checked out Zaragon and 411 Lofts, both of which are completely leased out for the fall (at least all 1br/2br apartments).

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:35 pm

thalassocrat wrote:They send the info for creating your UM uniqname by email, by the way. Just checked my email and it's there.

Is that the financial aid e-mail? Because if so, that's not your e-mail address...it's a guest account.

Edit: If this is your e-mail account, how long after depositing did you get the e-mail? I just mailed both deposits today...

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:12 am

blhoward2 wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:They send the info for creating your UM uniqname by email, by the way. Just checked my email and it's there.

Is that the financial aid e-mail? Because if so, that's not your e-mail address...it's a guest account.

Edit: If this is your e-mail account, how long after depositing did you get the e-mail? I just mailed both deposits today...

No, this is the uniqname for the email account/real account for Wolverine Access/etc. I mailed my deposit in last Thursday.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 am

Also checking in! Not a peep after Harvard hold and CLS deferral so Michigan it is! Plus, I'd have a hard time giving up money at Mich for a higher COL elsewhere. Can anyone give me a link to this woodbury website? I have to situate my housing from abroad so I'm really nervous. Also, I e-mailed two of our "housing ambassadors" 3 days ago and haven't heard a peep...kind of disappointed.

Edit: I have a dog are pets allowed? Also what's the rent on a 1BR like?

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:16 am

Ok found the website and uhh this place looks amazing...maybe it's because coming from Japan the money and space ratio is ridiculous but this seems amazing...

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:27 am

def2104 wrote:Ok found the website and uhh this place looks amazing...maybe it's because coming from Japan the money and space ratio is ridiculous but this seems amazing...

I had the same reaction when I first scoped the site; similarly, being from San Francisco, I was blown away by the floor plans + pricing. But, upon seeing the place, it definitely doesn't look nearly as nice as the pictures make it seem. The buildings are kinda old and some of the apartments were slightly run-down.

That said, I still think I'll live there -- but I definitely was way more impressed with the website than I was with the complex in real life. But the space is good, it seems relatively convenient compared to other complex options, and I'm so excited to think that I might have my own washer/dryer. Amazing.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
def2104 wrote:Ok found the website and uhh this place looks amazing...maybe it's because coming from Japan the money and space ratio is ridiculous but this seems amazing...

I had the same reaction when I first scoped the site; similarly, being from San Francisco, I was blown away by the floor plans + pricing. But, upon seeing the place, it definitely doesn't look nearly as nice as the pictures make it seem. The buildings are kinda old and some of the apartments were slightly run-down.

That said, I still think I'll live there -- but I definitely was way more impressed with the website than I was with the complex in real life. But the space is good, it seems relatively convenient compared to other complex options, and I'm so excited to think that I might have my own washer/dryer. Amazing.

Yeah I was thinking about that but for $30 or $40 a month I can use coin laundry...I will miss that though. But thanks for bringing be back down to earth because this place DEFINITELY looked too good to be true. Nonetheless, just the park space alone with my dog makes it worth it.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:34 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

+1 8)

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:11 pm

ankit wrote:Did anyone get a chance to check out Nob Hill Apartments, and have any impressions to share? Or perhaps some current students who live there can chime in. Those seem to be pretty popular with law & business school students, but I'm not sure about quality/distance from the school.

Also if anyone has suggestions regarding condos/lofts close to campus, please shout. We checked out Zaragon and 411 Lofts, both of which are completely leased out for the fall (at least all 1br/2br apartments).

i visited. charming little complex. small, kinda dinky apartments. however, that was the only problem i could find. i liked it a lot in general. i chose to go another way due to distance because i am quite slothful and would rather walk half a block. the leasing agent was lovely though. ya ya no relevance.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Ack, after spending all day looking at nyc apartment listings, <$900 for 700+ sq feet all to myself seems amazing.

Would it be silly to choose a law school based on cost/sq ft?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:39 pm

parker09 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Ack, after spending all day looking at nyc apartment listings, <$900 for 700+ sq feet all to myself seems amazing.

Would it be silly to choose a law school based on cost/sq ft?

Not if you choose Michigan :mrgreen:

beesknees

Re: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Class of 2013

Postby beesknees » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:46 am

Just like to say that Michigan's name change for the TLS joke is the best :D Who wouldn't want to attend Hogwarts?

Acedeuce

Re: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Class of 2013

Postby Acedeuce » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:50 am

beesknees wrote:Just like to say that Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry's name change for the lishi joke is the best :D Who wouldn't want to attend Hogwarts?

seconded, and I was totally fooled. When I pulled up "view your posts" I was l like, hey, where did UM go? and why is there something about Hogwarts?

Brilliant job by whoever set this up.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”