Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

JetstoRJC

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby JetstoRJC » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:30 am

Ligovski wrote:Hi, I’m a longtime fan, first-time poster. I also was wondering if anyone had any expierence negotiating aid from Michigan or do they strictly keep to the “we don’t ‘compete’ with the aid offers from other schools” clause in the award letters?

I’m looking at 67k at Duke and 45k at Michigan and would really love to attend Michigan and join the join JD/MA Russian program but 20k is a decent amount of money.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

If somebody doesn't have a scholarship offer from Michigan I think they could have success in negotiating aid if they have other offers. However, for those that already have merit aid offers, the scholarship letter states something along the lines of offers not being increased once they are made.

That being said, I tried asking for more and was told no (very nicely I might add, Dean Z continues to be my favorite). Can't hurt to try to negotiate for more, but it seems like their policy to not increase offers is pretty strict.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:05 am

Amelie wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Anyone tried scholarship negotiation from Michigan this cycle? Any success stories? Any chance they would even consider a scholly from Vandy? :oops:

I was shot down trying to get them to increase my offer (using UVA's higher offer). But I think they cap non-Darrow awards at $67k, so it may still be worth a shot.

Sorry to hear that, though I did think that was the policy/likely outcome. Which way are you leaning?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:07 am

cardinalandgold wrote:Anyone tried scholarship negotiation from Michigan this cycle? Any success stories? Any chance they would even consider a scholly from Vandy? :oops:

If you don't already have one, they might take it into consideration. $60k is a decent amount of money; you may be able to get something out of Michigan.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:29 am

starstruck393 wrote:
Amelie wrote:

I was shot down trying to get them to increase my offer (using UVA's higher offer). But I think they cap non-Darrow awards at $67k, so it may still be worth a shot.

Sorry to hear that, though I did think that was the policy/likely outcome. Which way are you leaning?

I've been pretty torn the past few days, but I think I'm definitely still leaning towards Michigan. I think I'm going to have to go with my gut on this one :D

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 am

starstruck393 wrote:

If you don't already have one, they might take it into consideration. $60k is a decent amount of money; you may be able to get something out of Michigan.

Yeah, Michigan has shown me no love up to this point. I'm hoping that they see how much I love Michigan and give me at least some money.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:30 pm

This seemed relevant to the current topic:

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/default.aspx

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:38 pm

Also, I just saw this for the first time:

http://web.law.umich.edu/FlashMedia/pub ... ediaid=332

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Alexandria wrote:This seemed relevant to the current topic:

Don't lie to the admission's office when requesting more $$?

dudester

Postby dudester » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:37 am

starstruck393 wrote:

Or at least don't tell them that you got eleventy billion from Dook

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 am

dudester wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Or at least don't tell them that you got eleventy billion from Dook

Was Dook the school? I didn't remember reading details, but it wouldn't surprise me...

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:20 am

JetstoRJC wrote:
Ligovski wrote:Hi, I’m a longtime fan, first-time poster. I also was wondering if anyone had any expierence negotiating aid from Michigan or do they strictly keep to the “we don’t ‘compete’ with the aid offers from other schools” clause in the award letters?

I’m looking at 67k at Duke and 45k at Michigan and would really love to attend Michigan and join the join JD/MA Russian program but 20k is a decent amount of money.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

If somebody doesn't have a scholarship offer from Michigan I think they could have success in negotiating aid if they have other offers. However, for those that already have merit aid offers, the scholarship letter states something along the lines of offers not being increased once they are made.

That being said, I tried asking for more and was told no (very nicely I might add, Dean Z continues to be my favorite). Can't hurt to try to negotiate for more, but it seems like their policy to not increase offers is pretty strict.

This is true. I was successful in receiving scholarship after negotiation, however I was not initially offered any money at all. I believe you can only negotiate successfully if you were not offered any merit aid up front. I was polite and honest when I negotiated. Just don't be a jerk, and I think your chances of success will go up.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:25 am

i tried it, didn't work for me at alll :( sticker price, it is.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 am

also, i know michigan does direct gradplus lending to students. do you know what we have to do to get gradplus? is there a form to fill out, or...?

itzjulz

Postby itzjulz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:26 am

goblue1646 wrote:also, i know michigan does direct gradplus lending to students. do you know what we have to do to get gradplus? is there a form to fill out, or...?

just a form to fill out.. gradplus was really easy (opening the loan statements, on the other hand, is not)

don't worry, you're in good company. I think >40% of us are paying sticker to be here.

shaville

Postby shaville » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:32 am

Negotiating works if you don't initially get any dough. I had nothing- wrote to financial aid and ended up with 25k. Not exactly a fortune, but not exactly peanuts either. If you didn't get any, definitely give it a shot.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:20 pm

I'd love to have some more housing discussion going on. Checked out Woodbury last weekend and it seemed pretty alright...I definitely want to keep looking, though. If anyone has had good experiences with other quiet, well-kept complexes in the area for a similar (or slightly higher) price point, I'm all ears.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I'd love to have some more housing discussion going on. Checked out Woodbury last weekend and it seemed pretty alright...I definitely want to keep looking, though. If anyone has had good experiences with other quiet, well-kept complexes in the area for a similar (or slightly higher) price point, I'm all ears.

I'm getting to this point in my LS process and would love to hear the impressions that people have had re: housing.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I'd love to have some more housing discussion going on. Checked out Woodbury last weekend and it seemed pretty alright...I definitely want to keep looking, though. If anyone has had good experiences with other quiet, well-kept complexes in the area for a similar (or slightly higher) price point, I'm all ears.

I'm getting to this point in my LS process and would love to hear the impressions that people have had re: housing.

Same...leaning towards Woodbury (at least for 1L year) due to its closeness to the Law School. We drove through Woodbury during ASW but weren't able to see the inside of any of the apartments.

Is it pretty much a given that I will have to sign a 1 year lease and eat the rent during the summer or are there any places that are flexible in providing 9 month leases?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:10 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Same...leaning towards Woodbury (at least for 1L year) due to its closeness to the Law School. We drove through Woodbury during ASW but weren't able to see the inside of any of the apartments.

Is it pretty much a given that I will have to sign a 1 year lease and eat the rent during the summer or are there any places that are flexible in providing 9 month leases?

I looked at Woodbury but liked Harbor House better. It is a little bigger for only a small amount of money. You get an undergrad garage space, and the #7 bus stops right outside the complex. (The #7 drops of .5 mile from the law school...you can also drive/walk .5 mile to the park & ride and take the #36 bus straight to the school)

The apartments in Woodbury felt a little dated and chintzy. (Nothing too bad, but cheap metal folding closet doors running down one entire wall where the closets/utility closet are all in a row.)

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:13 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

woodbury has this thing that you can 'store' the apartment for the summer and not have to pay very much. but if they find a summer sublettor, then you have no choice but to have it be let. You can ask them about the details.

The nice thing about Woodbury is the convenience. The 6 bus goes door to door. Including the walk from my apartment to the front of the complex the whole thing takes about 15 minutes. The actual bus ride is about 7 minutes.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:17 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

woodbury has this thing that you can 'store' the apartment for the summer and not have to pay very much. but if they find a summer sublettor, then you have no choice but to have it be let. You can ask them about the details.

The nice thing about Woodbury is the convenience. The 6 bus goes door to door. Including the walk from my apartment to the front of the complex the whole thing takes about 15 minutes. The actual bus ride is about 7 minutes.

That's nice to know...you'd think she would have said something about that. How do you like the neighborhood? Any complaints?

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I met with a Woodbury leasing agent and toured the model 1 bedroom. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 9 month lease there, if I decide to go to Michigan (still in limbo). The model I saw was an upgrade version (you pay extra for things like different colored doors, a microwave over the stove, etc). They have 1 bedrooms with washer and dryers and without (coin laundry at the bottom level of the building).

Feel free to PM me if you want more info on Woodbury if you didn't get a chance to tour or meet someone there. I also saw Hidden Valley, but it was farther from the school and made me feel like I was in Soviet Russia.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:27 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I looked at Woodbury but liked Harbor House better. It is a little bigger for only a small amount of money. You get an undergrad garage space, and the #7 bus stops right outside the complex. (The #7 drops of .5 mile from the law school...you can also drive/walk .5 mile to the park & ride and take the #36 bus straight to the school)

The apartments in Woodbury felt a little dated and chintzy. (Nothing too bad, but cheap metal folding closet doors running down one entire wall where the closets/utility closet are all in a row.)

I also felt the same way about Woodbury when I visited. For how nice the club house/leasing office was, I was expecting the apartments to be a little nicer considering the price. But the convenience factor and flexible leasing terms may be enough to offset the cons for others, but if I go with Michigan I'll probably try and find something else.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:27 pm

the complex itself is really nice and the people are mostly grad student types with some families thrown in.

the surrounding area is also pretty nice. there's a bar/bowling alley across the street and a nearby kroger's and cvs. There's a salvation army a little ways away. I dunno if that would be considered unsavory or not.

oh, the other thing I like about woodbury is the van service. They run a van to the business/law school around once an hour on weekdays. I saw the van sitting there on saturdays as well but I don't know if it actually runs on saturdays.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

I've decided on the LC. It'll be a bit of a sacrifice with the dorm lifestyle, but I think the social benefits and convenience make it worth it (for me).

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”