Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

thisamericanlife

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby thisamericanlife » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:11 pm

speaking of tickets, the email just went out for tickets next year. Football will be $207. Of special note, The Big Chill should be exciting for any hockey fans.

2010-11 STUDENT TICKET ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS

“THE BIG CHILL AT THE BIG HOUSE”

The Michigan Athletic Department has long been appreciative of the strong student support for all of our sports. When the Michigan hockey team takes on Michigan State in “The Big Chill at the Big House” on December 11, 2010, we want to invite you to be part of this special day at Michigan Stadium.

“The students at Yost have made our home games fun and exciting,” said Wolverine head coach Red Berenson. “For this game, we want to invite each and every Michigan student to be part of a once in a lifetime event.”

A ticket for this game will be included in both the football and hockey student season ticket packages for $5 each. Students may buy additional tickets to this event for $10 each when purchasing season tickets. Students who purchase both a football and hockey season ticket will receive a total of two tickets to this event.

Student ID and validations will not be required for this game. Student seating will be general admission in sections 25-32, the traditional student section at football games. Please visit mgoblue.com/ticketoffice for “The Big Chill at the Big House” tenative seating diagram.

Students who do not purchase a student football or hockey season ticket may order tickets to “The Big Chill at the Big House” at $10 beginning April 12.

The University of Michigan Athletic Department wants “The Big Chill at the Big House” to be the largest crowd in the history of the sport of hockey and we want you to be a part of this event. We look forward to the Michigan student body playing an important role in making this a day we can all enjoy and remember.

Go Blue!

Marty Bodnar,
Associate Athletic Director
Ticketing & Marketing

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:18 pm

My best friend goes to MSU and we're both huge hockey fans. Will be at that game so hard.

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:23 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:speaking of tickets, the email just went out for tickets next year. Football will be $207. Of special note, The Big Chill should be exciting for any hockey fans.

The Michigan Athletic Department has long been appreciative of the strong student support for all of our sports. When the Michigan hockey team takes on Michigan State in “The Big Chill at the Big House” on December 11, 2010, we want to invite you to be part of this special day at Michigan Stadium.

“The students at Yost have made our home games fun and exciting,” said Wolverine head coach Red Berenson. “For this game, we want to invite each and every Michigan student to be part of a once in a lifetime event.”

A ticket for this game will be included in both the football and hockey student season ticket packages for $5 each. Students may buy additional tickets to this event for $10 each when purchasing season tickets. Students who purchase both a football and hockey season ticket will receive a total of two tickets to this event.

Student ID and validations will not be required for this game. Student seating will be general admission in sections 25-32, the traditional student section at football games. Please visit mgoblue.com/ticketoffice for “The Big Chill at the Big House” tenative seating diagram.

Students who do not purchase a student football or hockey season ticket may order tickets to “The Big Chill at the Big House” at $10 beginning April 12.

The University of Michigan Athletic Department wants “The Big Chill at the Big House” to be the largest crowd in the history of the sport of hockey and we want you to be a part of this event. We look forward to the Michigan student body playing an important role in making this a day we can all enjoy and remember.

Go Blue!

Marty Bodnar,
Ticketing & Marketing

are you new student or returning student.... I assume since you're on this thread you're new but I didnt get this email so just double checking

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm

refinement of the above:

Only current or previously enrolled students are able to access their online accounts at this time to purchase season tickets. I looked up your information on Wolverine Access and did not see that you are currently registered for any classes. If you are a new student starting this summer or fall, you will be able to purchase season tickets in June. Your account will be available to access at that time.

Thank you,
Anne
Michigan Athletic Ticket Office

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Is it illegal in Michigan to sell event tickets for above face-value? Similarly, is it against Michigan policy to sell football tickets for above face-value?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:21 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Is it illegal in Michigan to sell event tickets for above face-value? Similarly, is it against Michigan policy to sell football tickets for above face-value?

General tickets, I'm not sure. I know scalping is against Michigan's policy, but they don't seem to do too much about it if you're in any way discreet.

bees

Postby bees » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Couple quick questions about financial aid:

1) Can someone link me to the page where it lists the cost of the first year for summer starters? I was there before but I'm drawing a blank trying to get back to it.

2) I just accepted my FAFSA award (which I understand we have to apply for again each year). Does it work the same way with GradPlus loans? I'm assuming I'd just ask for the amount I need to cover the first year, and then ask for more the next two years.

Sorry if these are easy or obvious questions, I never had to do any of this for undergrad.

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:05 am

bees wrote:Couple quick questions about financial aid:

1) Can someone link me to the page where it lists the cost of the first year for summer starters? I was there before but I'm drawing a blank trying to get back to it.

2) I just accepted my FAFSA award (which I understand we have to apply for again each year). Does it work the same way with GradPlus loans? I'm assuming I'd just ask for the amount I need to cover the first year, and then ask for more the next two years.

Sorry if these are easy or obvious questions, I never had to do any of this for undergrad.

summer start is $23,005 for out of state. its at the spring semester rate for 2010.

Also- you apply for gradPlus again each year so it can shift

bees

Postby bees » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:54 pm

JRMjr wrote:
bees wrote:Couple quick questions about financial aid:

summer start is $23,005 for out of state. its at the spring semester rate for 2010.

Also- you apply for gradPlus again each year so it can shift

[strike]Thanks. Do you mind linking me to where you got that number? I know I saw a figure somewhere that also included the increased cost of living for the summer. I just need to know the max amount I can take out with GradPlus loans for the entire first year.[/strike]

Found it.

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:29 pm

JRMjr wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:speaking of tickets, the email just went out for tickets next year. Football will be $207. Of special note, The Big Chill should be exciting for any hockey fans.

Go Blue!

Marty Bodnar,
Ticketing & Marketing

are you new student or returning student.... I assume since you're on this thread you're new but I didnt get this email so just double checking

sorry if I confused any new students. I meant this as notification. I am a current Michigan student but not a law student yet, which is why I got it. As far as I know, I didn't know any new students who had trouble purchasing tickets because they bought them later than current students.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:26 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:
JRMjr wrote:

Go Blue!

Marty Bodnar,
Ticketing & Marketing

sorry if I confused any new students. I meant this as notification. I am a current Michigan student but not a law student yet, which is why I got it. As far as I know, I didn't know any new students who had trouble purchasing tickets because they bought them later than current students.

They (thankfully) hold blocks of tickets for the new students, both UG and grad

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 am

Does anyone know how quickly apartments fill up in Woodbury Gardens? Just looked at the website and I can't believe how much space you get for the money!!!! That's what Manhattan does to people I guess!

Also, if anyone plans to visit the second weekend of April, let me know. Would be nice to have at least 1 person there to see stuff with. Otherwise I'm flying solo.

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:49 am

I like cycling quite a bit, and during the winter months I keep my pins a'workin' with daily spin classes. Does Michigan's athletic center offer spin classes? Are there gyms within walking distance of the law school that offer spin classes? Thank you.

rolark

Postby rolark » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:58 am

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:I like cycling quite a bit, and during the winter months I keep my pins a'workin' with daily spin classes. Does Michigan's athletic center offer spin classes? Are there gyms within walking distance of the law school that offer spin classes? Thank you.

I hope so. If not, I'd be up for getting a spinning group together. Michigan looks like they have a pretty active cycling team:--LinkRemoved--.

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:04 am

rolark wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:I like cycling quite a bit, and during the winter months I keep my pins a'workin' with daily spin classes. Does Michigan's athletic center offer spin classes? Are there gyms within walking distance of the law school that offer spin classes? Thank you.

I hope so. If not, I'd be up for getting a spinning group together. Michigan looks like they have a pretty active cycling team:--LinkRemoved--.

Oh, wow, thanks for the link! That is encouraging, and I imagine that they would be the ones to contact concerning winter training options. See you in August!

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Does anyone know how quickly apartments fill up in Woodbury Gardens?

+1 on this question.

I hear that apartments fill up quickly in AA, but does this apply to the big corporate joints like Woodbury too? I.E., if I decide to go to Michigan next year, how quickly do I need to put down a deposit and sign a lease?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I don't THINK they totally fill up but you should just call them and ask. They may BS you and tell you that they are more likely to fill up than they actually are though.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

awesomepossum wrote:I don't THINK they totally fill up but you should just call them and ask. They may BS you and tell you that they are more likely to fill up than they actually are though.

I'd think it would depend on if you want a kind of unit they don't have many of... like maybe if you want one of the townhouse-sized units you'd be more at risk of missing out by waiting too late?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Well, I'll be visiting for ASW, but was planning on coming back in May with the SO to look at places (assuming I choose Michigan). In your estimation, might May be "too late" to get a good place in one of the larger apartment unit places like Woodbury?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:01 pm

May most likely won't be too late. I live at Woodbury and got a 2 bedroom May-ish.

If you're thinking about it you should check in with them periodically though.

z*z

Postby z*z » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:24 pm

There seems to be a lot of discussion about Woodbury Gardens on here and I thought I might be able to offer some insight concerning other housing opportunities. My wife and I looked at Woodbury as well as the other large apartment complexes but ultimately ended up leasing from a private landlord on a May to May. We are ten minutes (walking) from the quad and we are paying $850 for a two level, two bedroom. I just wanted to share this with you all and let you know that there are other options out there besides the big corporate places, it just takes some creative searching.

* I should add that I live in Michigan and it took three separate day trips to AA to find what we were looking for, so I understand that this might not be as easy for people moving from out of town. My advice is to check craigslist and similar sights. You have to comb through a lot of bullshit, but there were some nice places available on there and they tended to be less money / closer than the big complexes.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Anyone tried scholarship negotiation from Michigan this cycle? Any success stories? Any chance they would even consider a scholly from Vandy? :oops:

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:30 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:Anyone tried scholarship negotiation from Michigan this cycle? Any success stories? Any chance they would even consider a scholly from Vandy? :oops:

I was shot down trying to get them to increase my offer (using UVA's higher offer). But I think they cap non-Darrow awards at $67k, so it may still be worth a shot.

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:52 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:Anyone tried scholarship negotiation from Michigan this cycle? Any success stories? Any chance they would even consider a scholly from Vandy? :oops:

can't offer any anecdotal evidence from this cycle but last cycle i gave them two offers, one small offer from a lower-ranked t-14 and one large offer from vandy. they matched the lower t-14 and ignored vandy. le sigh. :(

Ligovski

Postby Ligovski » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:08 am

Hi, I’m a longtime fan, first-time poster. I also was wondering if anyone had any expierence negotiating aid from Michigan or do they strictly keep to the “we don’t ‘compete’ with the aid offers from other schools” clause in the award letters?

I’m looking at 67k at Duke and 45k at Michigan and would really love to attend Michigan and join the join JD/MA Russian program but 20k is a decent amount of money.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”