Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

bighead715

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby bighead715 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:45 pm

off the financial aid and ASW topics, if anyone's wondering about housing on campus, i had a good experience with arch realty, prime student housing, and varsity management. i went with arch as they had the closest apartment to the law school while still reasonable in size, price, and utilities. if you want something off campus, woodbury seemed like the best bet.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:33 am

bighead715 wrote:if you want something off campus, woodbury seemed like the best bet.

Yeah? That's good to hear, as I've been ogling their website and thinking, "Nah, probably too good to be true -- probably horrible reputation or in a shitty/inconvenient neighborhood." I can't conceive of having a nice place (with washer/dryer?!) for those prices...but my rent perceptions have been screwed by years of living in NY and SF.

How far is Woodbury from the law school? Can any current students speak to experiences here (or any other big complex in AA near the law school)? Every apartment I've ever lived in for the last eight years has been in a converted old house with a crotchety old landlord...I'm ready to go the cookie-cutter corporate megacomplex route for my law school years. Less bullshit and less mold (I hope)?

ankit

Postby ankit » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:10 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
bighead715 wrote:if you want something off campus, woodbury seemed like the best bet.

Yeah? That's good to hear, as I've been ogling their website and thinking, "Nah, probably too good to be true -- probably horrible reputation or in a shitty/inconvenient neighborhood." I can't conceive of having a nice place (with washer/dryer?!) for those prices...but my rent perceptions have been screwed by years of living in NY and SF.

How far is Woodbury from the law school? Can any current students speak to experiences here (or any other big complex in AA near the law school)? Every apartment I've ever lived in for the last eight years has been in a converted old house with a crotchety old landlord...I'm ready to go the cookie-cutter corporate megacomplex route for my law school years. Less bullshit and less mold (I hope)?

I've asked quite a few current students about this. The sense I get is that Woodbury houses are great and there are no significant problems with maintenance and administration. The main drawback of the place is that it is definitely not walking distance from the quad, though there is a direct bus which would take around 15 minutes. So I guess when bus timings are unpredictable, it can be a hassle. Also you probably can't visit home in between classes.

FYI, someone also mentioned that the complex has tons of business school (Ross MBA) and law school students, and so it is definitely quite popular. I think the best option would be to actually do the commute during the ASW and figure out how much of an issue the distance is (I plan on doing this on Saturday, after the 2nd ASW).

BTW TG, have you heard anything further on the breakfast for Darrow recipients that was mentioned in the scholarship letter?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:56 am

ankit wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

I've asked quite a few current students about this. The sense I get is that Woodbury houses are great and there are no significant problems with maintenance and administration. The main drawback of the place is that it is definitely not walking distance from the quad, though there is a direct bus which would take around 15 minutes. So I guess when bus timings are unpredictable, it can be a hassle. Also you probably can't visit home in between classes.

FYI, someone also mentioned that the complex has tons of business school (Ross MBA) and law school students, and so it is definitely quite popular. I think the best option would be to actually do the commute during the ASW and figure out how much of an issue the distance is (I plan on doing this on Saturday, after the 2nd ASW).

BTW TG, have you heard anything further on the breakfast for Darrow recipients that was mentioned in the scholarship letter?

I live at woodbury. the bus is around 5-6 minutes. the buses are also very on time and actually have an online tracker that you can look at with a smartphone. I occasionally go home if there are long breaks and I just bring my car if I want to come in the evenings after the meters don't matter. The total door to door time is probably 10 minutes for the bus.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:41 pm

bighead715 wrote:off the financial aid and ASW topics, if anyone's wondering about housing on campus, i had a good experience with arch realty, prime student housing, and varsity management. i went with arch as they had the closest apartment to the law school while still reasonable in size, price, and utilities. if you want something off campus, woodbury seemed like the best bet.

I looked up woodbury and the rent seems kind of expensive... :oops: Are there cheaper options near the school/school bus line?

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:49 pm

I have a quick 1 bdrm, 2 bdrm guide that i threw together for a bunch of properties. nothing special but it would save people from hunting through the internet. It covers all the places listed on the Law School list. I also added feedback I've gotten from TLS to the sheet. If anyone wants it, PM me

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:50 pm

JRMjr wrote:I have a quick 1 bdrm, 2 bdrm guide that i threw together for a bunch of properties. nothing special but it would save people from hunting through the internet. It covers all the places listed on the Law School list. I also added feedback I've gotten from TLS to the sheet. If anyone wants it, PM me

Hey! Do you mind PM me the list? Thank you so much!!

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:00 pm

JRMjr wrote:I have a quick 1 bdrm, 2 bdrm guide that i threw together for a bunch of properties. nothing special but it would save people from hunting through the internet. It covers all the places listed on the Law School list. I also added feedback I've gotten from TLS to the sheet. If anyone wants it, PM me

I'm an idiot.... can't attach to PM's so PM me your email and I'll send away

rolark

Postby rolark » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Actually, now this has me thinking. Is anyone interested in creating a shared google doc with housing options in Ann Arbor? Particularly as the ASW's come up, it might be nice to consolidate our firsthand experiences of apartments.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:08 pm

come to amers after thursday dinner!

seriously. it's a good time and it'll be chill and in between events. You guys can meet on your own since it's a big place

Also, APALSA will be providing free treats I just learned.

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:33 pm

depending on how you cut through the neighborhoods, woodbury is .8 miles to the law quad

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
bighead715 wrote:off the financial aid and ASW topics, if anyone's wondering about housing on campus, i had a good experience with arch realty, prime student housing, and varsity management. i went with arch as they had the closest apartment to the law school while still reasonable in size, price, and utilities. if you want something off campus, woodbury seemed like the best bet.

I looked up woodbury and the rent seems kind of expensive... :oops: Are there cheaper options near the school/school bus line?

there are actually many lines that drop off at the school or near to the school. The transit center, where many buses go, is close by and there is a bus that goes from the transit center to literally across the street to the school so you can transfer among buses fairly easy. So you have many options for buses. The buses are really good here so don't feel like you need to live along Packard. Your choice have far away from the school you want to live though.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Apple Tree wrote:

Although a little farther away, Hidden Valley (on State, near the mall) is cheaper, and there's a bus that stops right out front

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:35 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:

Although a little farther away, Hidden Valley (on State, near the mall) is cheaper, and there's a bus that stops right out front

nice complex, but i got a horrible vibe from the leasing agent that showed me around....it was enough to turn me away

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Amelie wrote:So is some form of meet up happening tomorrow? Right before the "official" start of the weekend could be good (say around 3:00), or the evening?

i'm so down!

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:26 pm

bighead715 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:

nice complex, but i got a horrible vibe from the leasing agent that showed me around....it was enough to turn me away

How so?

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 pm

bfinlayson wrote:
Amelie wrote:So is some form of meet up happening tomorrow? Right before the "official" start of the weekend could be good (say around 3:00), or the evening?

i'm so down!

I'm in... Meet somewhere around 2?

betsyanna

Postby betsyanna » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:46 pm

there are actually many lines that drop off at the school or near to the school. The transit center, where many buses go, is close by and there is a bus that goes from the transit center to literally across the street to the school so you can transfer among buses fairly easy. So you have many options for buses. The buses are really good here so don't feel like you need to live along Packard. Your choice have far away from the school you want to live though.

There's also a commuter lot right on State St. by the mall. Free parking, and the commuter bus runs directly to the law school about every 8 minutes. I do it every day--7 or 8 minute ride to school once you're on the bus.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:45 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:14 pm

Hope those of you in town for this week's ASW enjoy it. Ann Arbor is a pretty great little city. Is anyone coming out for the 25th-27th?

Quick financial aid question: Has anyone succeeded in getting need-based aid from UM? My FAFSA EFC is zero, I'm an independent student, and my parents aren't financing my education whatsoever. I was originally rejected for need-based aid, but wrote an email to the financial aid dean explaining my history and present situation, and she agreed to consider me for need-based aid. I filled out the NeedAccess forms and have submitted my FAFSA and all that, but the financial aid communications page still says I have nothing coming. I'm pretty surprised, considering I grew up really poor, have no substantial source of income, and received Pell Grants and SEOGs throughout undergrad.

Also, I've still got a couple rooms open in my house a block from the law quad for this summer, going for $350-450. PM if you're interested!

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 pm

I will be there for the 25-27th! I wouldn't mind meeting up with fellow TLS'ers while I'm there. We should set up a meetup spot and time.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:26 pm

Amelie wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
bfinlayson wrote:

i'm so down!

I'm in... Meet somewhere around 2?

Yea we could meet in the LC lounge around then, or also do Amers in the evening

How should we go about this, PM cell #s?

I'm down. I'll be there solo until the wife arrives Friday night. So...seriously, how do we find each other?

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:51 am

I'm gonna PM Amelie a cell # and she can set this game up. I say before in LC lounge or by library steps or something... Or dominicks is open! Dominicks= law school bar

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:02 am

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”