Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
2
15%
The bestest ever?
4
31%
The best there has ever been?
7
54%
 
Total votes: 13

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:42 am

msoftceo wrote:Saginaw, Michigan


Sagnasty?

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:55 pm

beesknees wrote:Has anyone else filled out the financial application on the admitted students website? Its finally available. I'm wondering what qualifies one for financial aid (besides loans).

I just filled it out (very short form - only asks your address in high school, if you received pell grants in UG, your UG debt and the total value of your assets). Based on my answers, I thought for sure I'd at least be eligible, even if I wasn't granted anything (I received pell grants, have UG debt and have basically nothing in the way of assets). But they said I would not be eligible and gave me instructions on how to apply for loans.

I'm really disappointed. There's almost no way I can justify taking out that much in loans. :(


Did you receive a Dean's Scholarship? If your numbers are correct in your profile I think you should be getting one, and at least for $45k and up it says in the letter that if you receive the scholarship you get nothing else.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby minuit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 pm

msoftceo wrote:Saginaw, Michigan


Indeed. On top of a good proportion of the city being out of work because of the collapsing auto industry...

urban_cdn
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby urban_cdn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 pm

received my acceptance today and just wanted to say hi to everyone - will definitely be attending in the fall! incredibly excited!

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:30 pm

urban_cdn wrote:received my acceptance today and just wanted to say hi to everyone - will definitely be attending in the fall! incredibly excited!


Congrats!

JRMjr
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby JRMjr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:33 pm

urban_cdn wrote:received my acceptance today and just wanted to say hi to everyone - will definitely be attending in the fall! incredibly excited!


welcome to Michigan! Its a GREAT place to be headed. happy to have you!

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby tamlyric » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:41 pm

urban_cdn wrote:received my acceptance today and just wanted to say hi to everyone - will definitely be attending in the fall! incredibly excited!


Congrats! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Aeon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:06 pm

urban_cdn wrote:received my acceptance today and just wanted to say hi to everyone - will definitely be attending in the fall! incredibly excited!

Congrats! :D

User avatar
bighead715
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:02 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby bighead715 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:57 am

someone mentioned in the questions thread that there was an email for the summer starters regarding our schedule.

anyone else get it? i haven't received it.

edit: nvm i did receive it and just never bothered to read it :)
Last edited by bighead715 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bees
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby bees » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:58 am

bighead715 wrote:someone mentioned in the questions thread that there was an email for the summer starters regarding our schedule.

anyone else get it? i haven't received it.


There was an email that listed who the professors will be, but not the actual schedule.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:30 pm

bighead715 wrote:someone mentioned in the questions thread that there was an email for the summer starters regarding our schedule.

anyone else get it? i haven't received it.

edit: nvm i did receive it and just never bothered to read it :)

When did you get it?

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:07 pm

mayosmith wrote:
bighead715 wrote:someone mentioned in the questions thread that there was an email for the summer starters regarding our schedule.

anyone else get it? i haven't received it.

edit: nvm i did receive it and just never bothered to read it :)

When did you get it?


It came out in late January, I think...

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:46 pm

Is anybody moving to Ann Arbor with their SO? I'm very torn between Mich and UT right now. My husband is moving with me and it will be (much) easier for him to find a job in Austin than in Ann Arbor simply because Austin is much bigger. I was just wondering how people with SOs resolved the problem of spouse finding a job.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Is anybody moving to Ann Arbor with their SO? I'm very torn between Mich and UT right now. My husband is moving with me and it will be (much) easier for him to find a job in Austin than in Ann Arbor simply because Austin is much bigger. I was just wondering how people with SOs resolved the problem of spouse finding a job.



What's your SO's field? There are a lot of tech companies in and around A2, not to mention other things. It's kind of a beacon in the Michigan economy...

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:52 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Is anybody moving to Ann Arbor with their SO? I'm very torn between Mich and UT right now. My husband is moving with me and it will be (much) easier for him to find a job in Austin than in Ann Arbor simply because Austin is much bigger. I was just wondering how people with SOs resolved the problem of spouse finding a job.



What's your SO's field? There are a lot of tech companies in and around A2, not to mention other things. It's kind of a beacon in the Michigan economy...


He's a librarian...but he also does digital editing on the side. I guess he could find a job in Detroit, but that would suck considering the driving distance. :(

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Apple Tree wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Is anybody moving to Ann Arbor with their SO? I'm very torn between Mich and UT right now. My husband is moving with me and it will be (much) easier for him to find a job in Austin than in Ann Arbor simply because Austin is much bigger. I was just wondering how people with SOs resolved the problem of spouse finding a job.



What's your SO's field? There are a lot of tech companies in and around A2, not to mention other things. It's kind of a beacon in the Michigan economy...


He's a librarian...but he also does digital editing on the side. I guess he could find a job in Detroit, but that would suck considering the driving distance. :(


He could look at getting a job with one of the U of M libraries (there are a ton), or with AADL. I'm not sure what kind of digital editing he does (picture, video, etc), but there are a number of media companies in the area, especially with the upturn in film production going on in Michigan.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Apple Tree » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:25 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Is anybody moving to Ann Arbor with their SO? I'm very torn between Mich and UT right now. My husband is moving with me and it will be (much) easier for him to find a job in Austin than in Ann Arbor simply because Austin is much bigger. I was just wondering how people with SOs resolved the problem of spouse finding a job.



What's your SO's field? There are a lot of tech companies in and around A2, not to mention other things. It's kind of a beacon in the Michigan economy...


He's a librarian...but he also does digital editing on the side. I guess he could find a job in Detroit, but that would suck considering the driving distance. :(


He could look at getting a job with one of the U of M libraries (there are a ton), or with AADL. I'm not sure what kind of digital editing he does (picture, video, etc), but there are a number of media companies in the area, especially with the upturn in film production going on in Michigan.


Great. Thanks!

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby beesknees » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
beesknees wrote:Has anyone else filled out the financial application on the admitted students website? Its finally available. I'm wondering what qualifies one for financial aid (besides loans).

I just filled it out (very short form - only asks your address in high school, if you received pell grants in UG, your UG debt and the total value of your assets). Based on my answers, I thought for sure I'd at least be eligible, even if I wasn't granted anything (I received pell grants, have UG debt and have basically nothing in the way of assets). But they said I would not be eligible and gave me instructions on how to apply for loans.

I'm really disappointed. There's almost no way I can justify taking out that much in loans. :(


Did you receive a Dean's Scholarship? If your numbers are correct in your profile I think you should be getting one, and at least for $45k and up it says in the letter that if you receive the scholarship you get nothing else.


I wish! No, I haven't received anything. I've noticed some people with very similar profiles getting $, so I hope that they might throw me some money. I know the cost difference between sticker and the smallest scholly isn't that much because the tuition is so epically expensive, but its enough.

I saw someone last year on LSN with slightly lower numbers ask for merit aid at Michigan and Duke in late March after initially receiving nothing. While Duke threw him the $10k/year bone, Michigan wouldn't budge.

Does sending a carefully-worded email inquiring about merit aid sound like an acceptable idea? Getting even a small scholly would pretty much ensure I send my seat deposit to Ann Arbor this spring.

User avatar
jackassjim
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:58 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby jackassjim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 pm

beesknees wrote:Does sending a carefully-worded email inquiring about merit aid sound like an acceptable idea?


Depends how credible your exit option is. It helps if you have an offer from a peer school. Go read the "negotiating merit aid" thread in the "user contribution" section of this forum. That will probably answer most of your questions.

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby beesknees » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:15 pm

jackassjim wrote:
beesknees wrote:Does sending a carefully-worded email inquiring about merit aid sound like an acceptable idea?


Depends how credible your exit option is. It helps if you have an offer from a peer school. Go read the "negotiating merit aid" thread in the "user contribution" section of this forum. That will probably answer most of your questions.


Hmm, yeah, probably not a good idea then. Michigan probably knows they are the best school I got into and that is why they haven't offered anything. I have no leverage whatsoever because I didn't apply to any of Mich's peers except Duke (and I still haven't heard from them).

I'm not one of those kids who is dying to go to the best ranked school that will have me. I will probably be fine as long as one of my fallback schools give me $ (like Vandy or Cornell). If no one gives me $, I'm not going to LS this year lol!

User avatar
jackassjim
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:58 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby jackassjim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:08 pm

beesknees wrote:
jackassjim wrote:
beesknees wrote:Does sending a carefully-worded email inquiring about merit aid sound like an acceptable idea?


Depends how credible your exit option is. It helps if you have an offer from a peer school. Go read the "negotiating merit aid" thread in the "user contribution" section of this forum. That will probably answer most of your questions.


Hmm, yeah, probably not a good idea then. Michigan probably knows they are the best school I got into and that is why they haven't offered anything. I have no leverage whatsoever because I didn't apply to any of Mich's peers except Duke (and I still haven't heard from them).

I'm not one of those kids who is dying to go to the best ranked school that will have me. I will probably be fine as long as one of my fallback schools give me $ (like Vandy or Cornell). If no one gives me $, I'm not going to LS this year lol!


Well, not going to LS is an exit option in itself. If you seriously don't plan to attend without money, you don't have anything to lose by asking. I would just wait a bit to hear from other schools, and then send them an email or give them a call. At worse they say no.

JRMjr
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby JRMjr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 am

Apple Tree wrote:Is anybody moving to Ann Arbor with their SO? I'm very torn between Mich and UT right now. My husband is moving with me and it will be (much) easier for him to find a job in Austin than in Ann Arbor simply because Austin is much bigger. I was just wondering how people with SOs resolved the problem of spouse finding a job.


I'm actually moving to Michigan (chose it over UT) with my wife and shes currently looking for jobs. Google is in downtown Ann Arbor, Dominos is HQ'd close, and alot of other companies have job postings. Definitely look at some jobs sites before you get discouraged about the Michigan economy.... there are lots of options if you keep your eyes open.

LifeinKodachrome
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby LifeinKodachrome » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:15 pm

My request was just approved to change to Summer Session, so now I feel like I can post in this thread. Looking forward to the ASW, though haven't yet decided which I'm going to.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 pm

LifeinKodachrome wrote:My request was just approved to change to Summer Session, so now I feel like I can post in this thread. Looking forward to the ASW, though haven't yet decided which I'm going to.


Congrats. Unless you've already registered, it'll most likely be the second, because the first is full, plus a waitlist.

LifeinKodachrome
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby LifeinKodachrome » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:47 pm

I see that. I'm going the 2nd weekend evidently. Because I'm flying, I'm more interested in a set date then any date in particular.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest