Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

verdandi

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby verdandi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:07 am

Sure I'm game - PM me when you set up the thread and I'll head over there.

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:27 pm

i've been wondering this for awhile, so i'll just ask. for those of you who received deferred summer start admission, how did you go about receiving that? Did Michigan randomly offer you the possibility of waiting next year and starting in the summer, or did you call and ask them once you were admitted, etc? Thanks!

waitingforanswers

Postby waitingforanswers » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:53 pm

minuit wrote:i've been wondering this for awhile, so i'll just ask. for those of you who received deferred summer start admission, how did you go about receiving that? Did Michigan randomly offer you the possibility of waiting next year and starting in the summer, or did you call and ask them once you were admitted, etc? Thanks!

I applied for it initially.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:08 am

minuit wrote:i've been wondering this for awhile, so i'll just ask. for those of you who received deferred summer start admission, how did you go about receiving that? Did Michigan randomly offer you the possibility of waiting next year and starting in the summer, or did you call and ask them once you were admitted, etc? Thanks!

Some of the WLers last summer applied for it. I'd be happy to talk more about it with you if you want...

jxk

Postby jxk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:01 am

hello incoming 1L's! :)

i'm a current 1L and would love to answer any questions you guys have! but i also want to put it out there that two friends and i are looking to sublet our apartment for the summer (i bet you knew that was coming... :lol: ). it's a 4-BR in 4 Eleven Lofts (we haven't found a 4th roommate yet), BRAND NEW luxury loft apartment, granite countertops, fully furnished with cute ikea furniture, on-site laundry, lounge and fitness center on the top floor, great views of ann arbor, underground parking, doorman, top-notch security. it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the law quad and close to all the bars and restaurants. even better, it's a super close walk to kerrytown, the farmer's market (which will be in full swing during the summer months) and the sparrow food market (sort of like an indoor extension of the farmer's market but it's there all the time, not just on weekends). all yours for $525/month (negotiable). if you want more information and/or pictures, here is the website:

http://4elevenlofts.com/

the management office is right in the apartment building and in our dealings with them, they have been very fair and friendly. plus, they always have free food/candy/cookies for the residents.

if you're interested, you can message me here or at jkong86@gmail.com.

ankit

Postby ankit » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:37 am

jxk wrote:hello incoming 1L's! :)

i'm a current 1L and would love to answer any questions you guys have! but i also want to put it out there that two friends and i are looking to sublet our apartment for the summer (i bet you knew that was coming... :lol: ). it's a 4-BR in 4 Eleven Lofts (we haven't found a 4th roommate yet), BRAND NEW luxury loft apartment, granite countertops, fully furnished with cute ikea furniture, on-site laundry, lounge and fitness center on the top floor, great views of ann arbor, underground parking, doorman, top-notch security. it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the law quad and close to all the bars and restaurants. even better, it's a super close walk to kerrytown, the farmer's market (which will be in full swing during the summer months) and the sparrow food market (sort of like an indoor extension of the farmer's market but it's there all the time, not just on weekends). all yours for $525/month (negotiable). if you want more information and/or pictures, here is the website:

http://4elevenlofts.com/

the management office is right in the apartment building and in our dealings with them, they have been very fair and friendly. plus, they always have free food/candy/cookies for the residents.

if you're interested, you can message me here or at jkong86@gmail.com.

Actually that brings up a question. I was looking at 411 Lofts as an option for my wife and myself, and was wondering if anyone had feedback on living there. Do many undergrads reside there as well? How convenient is the location? Any inputs on quality/maintenance of the apartments?

I also saw that the rent quoted is per person. So if we share a 2BR, it'll run us close to USD 2400/month. Am I right about that? That seems pretty high, but I guess it may be linked to how close the place is to campus.

Thanks again!

jackassjim

Postby jackassjim » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:47 am

ankit wrote:I also saw that the rent quoted is per person. So if we share a 2BR, it'll run us close to USD 2400/month. Am I right about that? That seems pretty high, but I guess it may be linked to how close the place is to campus.

That doesn't make sense. I rent a house with 1500 sq foot of livable space (3 bedrooms, 2 baths) + a basement for storage, and pay only 1400$/month. Plus the house was built in 2005; it's brand new.

2400 for a 2BR would just be crazy.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:02 am

jackassjim wrote:
ankit wrote:I also saw that the rent quoted is per person. So if we share a 2BR, it'll run us close to USD 2400/month. Am I right about that? That seems pretty high, but I guess it may be linked to how close the place is to campus.

That doesn't make sense. I rent a house with 1500 sq foot of livable space (3 bedrooms, 2 baths) + a basement for storage, and pay only 1400$/month. Plus the house was built in 2005; it's brand new.

Yeah... you're paying a premium for location + fully furnished + amenities. You can get a much better deal.

jackassjim

Postby jackassjim » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:11 am

Alexandria wrote:
jackassjim wrote:

Yeah... you're paying a premium for location + fully furnished + amenities. You can get a much better deal.

Hmm... well maybe if it's furnished and the utilities are included. Still, that's quite a premium :shock:

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:03 pm

jackassjim wrote:
Alexandria wrote:
jackassjim wrote:

Hmm... well maybe if it's furnished and the utilities are included. Still, that's quite a premium :shock:

Except pretty much every apartment in Michigan is rented fully furnished....and LL usually pays for water and heat. So the only thing you'd normally pay for is electricity, which isn't nearly that high.

You're getting ripped off if you pay 2400.

ankit

Postby ankit » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:17 pm

fortissimo wrote:Except pretty much every apartment in Michigan is rented fully furnished....and LL usually pays for water and heat. So the only thing you'd normally pay for is electricity, which isn't nearly that high.

You're getting ripped off if you pay 2400.

Yeah but I have a feeling its less targeted at families, and more at students looking to rent 1BR each. Hence the per person rate of ~$1100/month. Anyway thanks for the inputs all!

z*z

Postby z*z » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:35 pm

For those of you still looking for a place: My wife and I just rented a two bedroom but previously we were close to signing on another place that was literally a half block from the law school. the deal fell through because of some confusion about pets being allowed but it was a gorgeous loft at Hill st. and State. Brand new wood floors, cabinets, granite counter tops and new appliances. The rent was $750 (Utilities included). The current tenant is looking to find a sublease for the summer but as far as I know it is still available for next year as well. If anyone is interested see below.

816 S. State

Odyssey Management
(248) 932-2124
ask for Kaila

--LinkRemoved--

This really is an awesome apartment for a law student and it kills me that it did not work out for us but we signed on a place that works much better for us albeit more expensive and a few blocks farther away. PM me if you have any questions.

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 pm

starstruck393 wrote:

Some of the WLers last summer applied for it. I'd be happy to talk more about it with you if you want...

I'm jumping the gun here, this is all just wishful thinking at this point... if in fact I do get waitlisted instead of a straight rejection, then I'd be very open to asking them to defer until next summer if that would make it possible for me to attend. So, once I find out, I may or may not be contacting you to ask you more about it! Thanks!

And seriously congrats to everyone attending! You are making the right choice. I'm from Michigan, and Ann Arbor is one of the few places in the state where it's actually worthwhile to live at the moment!

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:26 pm

minuit wrote:I'm from Michigan, and Ann Arbor is one of the few places in the state where it's actually worthwhile to live at the moment!

Certainly, Michigan has been hurting for most of the past decade, but most parts of it really aren't bad places to live. :wink:

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Aeon wrote:
minuit wrote:I'm from Michigan, and Ann Arbor is one of the few places in the state where it's actually worthwhile to live at the moment!

Certainly, Michigan has been hurting for most of the past decade, but most parts of it really aren't bad places to live. :wink:

I really wish A2 had a larger legal market, so I could stay after graduation. *Sigh*...

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Michigan is a great place to live. I am from DC (lived here all my life) and I will be trading DC (and all its benefits and booming economy) for Michigan (and all its struggles) very soon. Couldn't be more ecstatic either.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 pm

A convicted bank robber turned jailhouse lawyer might be joining the class of 2014. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that makes Michigan great if it does happen.

--LinkRemoved--

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Aeon wrote:

Haha, you are right, most parts are pretty okay! I just have a slightly slanted opinion because I grew up in the city with the highest violent crime rate per capita in the U.S. (guess my city!)

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Has anyone else filled out the financial application on the admitted students website? Its finally available. I'm wondering what qualifies one for financial aid (besides loans).

I just filled it out (very short form - only asks your address in high school, if you received pell grants in UG, your UG debt and the total value of your assets). Based on my answers, I thought for sure I'd at least be eligible, even if I wasn't granted anything (I received pell grants, have UG debt and have basically nothing in the way of assets). But they said I would not be eligible and gave me instructions on how to apply for loans.

I'm really disappointed. There's almost no way I can justify taking out that much in loans. :(

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 am

beesknees wrote:Has anyone else filled out the financial application on the admitted students website? Its finally available. I'm wondering what qualifies one for financial aid (besides loans).

I just filled it out (very short form - only asks your address in high school, if you received pell grants in UG, your UG debt and the total value of your assets). Based on my answers, I thought for sure I'd at least be eligible, even if I wasn't granted anything (I received pell grants, have UG debt and have basically nothing in the way of assets). But they said I would not be eligible and gave me instructions on how to apply for loans.

I'm really disappointed. There's almost no way I can justify taking out that much in loans. :(

hmmm. i know nothing about this. but that seems strange to me. :?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 am

tamlyric wrote:
beesknees wrote:Has anyone else filled out the financial application on the admitted students website? Its finally available. I'm wondering what qualifies one for financial aid (besides loans).

hmmm. i know nothing about this. but that seems strange to me. :?

Also not eligible. Figured I wouldn't be given as I have no educational debt and a couple grand in stocks. Thankfully the GI Bill is covering most, if not all, of my tuition.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:13 am

minuit wrote:
Aeon wrote:

Haha, you are right, most parts are pretty okay! I just have a slightly slanted opinion because I grew up in the city with the highest violent crime rate per capita in the U.S. (guess my city!)

Benton Harbor

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:10 am

minuit wrote:
Aeon wrote:

Detroit or Flint?

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:19 am

Saginaw, Michigan

z*z

Postby z*z » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:21 am

starstruck393 wrote:
minuit wrote:
Aeon wrote:

Detroit or Flint?

Harbor Springs or West Bloomfield?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”