Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

starstruck393

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Wait, so what are some name(s) of complexes or areas/neighborhoods NEAR campus that WOULD be recommended? I'd be splitting a 1BR or 2BR with my S.O.

Compared to what we pay now, I'm sure anything will seem like a "bargain"...so I'd like to get as close and comfy as possible.

What do you mean near campus? Like a 1/2 mile away? 1 mile? 2 miles? IMO, once you start getting 1-2 miles off campus, the quality of the apts goes up a good deal. The on and near campus complexes are typically pretty shitty...

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Well, I was thinking ideally walking distance, but I've never been to the Mich campus so I don't really have an idea of what the options are.

I'll have a car, so I don't mind having to drive if need be. I'd rather drive a little bit and have a nicer place than live in a crappy place just so that I can walk.

On that note, I also don't want to be around a bunch of screamin' UG youngsters. Not sure how much that will be avoidable. Where is the law school relative to the undergrad housing and school buildings?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Well, I was thinking ideally walking distance, but I've never been to the Mich campus so I don't really have an idea of what the options are.

I'll have a car, so I don't mind having to drive if need be. I'd rather drive a little bit and have a nicer place than live in a crappy place just so that I can walk.

On that note, I also don't want to be around a bunch of screamin' UG youngsters. Not sure how much that will be avoidable. Where is the law school relative to the undergrad housing and school buildings?

Tange, when did Mich become a serious option for you? Thought you were set on somewhere else.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Well, I was thinking ideally walking distance, but I've never been to the Mich campus so I don't really have an idea of what the options are.

I'm in roughly the same situation. Great question. :mrgreen:

holborn

Postby holborn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00 pm

It might as well be the undergrad campus. its surrounded. However, there are plenty of places within walking distance (aka less than 15 min walk) that are far enough out that its a mix of grad, undergrad, and residential. I would caution against driving to campus everyday. There isnt a whole lot of parking and street parking is notoriously difficult to get unless youre there before 8 or 9am. The cost of structures add up. And, for whatever reason, ann arbor LOVES to give parking tickets. I once got 2 $25 tickets on my car in an hour when I was parked illegally. Having a car is great, it really helps with grocery shopping (as there isnt a great grocery store on campus) and other activities. Its just not great as a way to get around on campus itself.

Conclusion: Yes there is stuff within walking distance, but be prepared to walk around 15 min. If you have the option to not drive, don't.

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:02 pm

If you want walking distance, you've got about a 1/2 mile to a 1 mile radius from the law school you can be looking in. Driving in is a PAIN because on campus parking is hard to find. You'll probably have to park at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile away most days.

There is a risk anywhere on campus of occasional noise. The student population is enormous, and there are many more undergrads than grad students. But, the noise is worst during the football season, and rarely on weeknights.

Here's a map of the area around campus. The areas in RED are either known party streets or fraternity locations. The area with the big red X is an area I personally would never live in because (a) most of the housing is crappy and (b) the marching band practices over there on a daily basis during the fall.

The area circled in blue is probably the quietest neighborhood, I lived up there when I was a senior. It's about a 15-20 minute walk to the law school though.

Just keep in mind that places that seem nearby to places I've noted as "noisy" might not be too bad. Even 2 blocks away can make a big difference.

--ImageRemoved--

tralinds

Postby tralinds » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:04 pm

I'll compile a list of property management companies for you guys sometime this weekend. Feel free to PM if you have questions, too.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Keep in mind that there's a great bus system in A2, and at least a few of the popular apt complexes that are a little far to walk from (~20-30 min) have bus stops right in front of them. Even better, bus fare is free when you show a U of M ID card.

Also, if you're so inclined, you can bike to campus 2/3-possibly even 3/4 of the year, which also helps to make the farther but nicer apartments more accessible.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:09 pm

tralinds wrote:I'll compile a list of property management companies for you guys sometime this weekend. Feel free to PM if you have questions, too.

There should be a list in the acceptance package, too.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:42 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
tralinds wrote:I'll compile a list of property management companies for you guys sometime this weekend. Feel free to PM if you have questions, too.

There should be a list in the acceptance package, too.

Wow, I somehow totally missed that entire packet. Thank you for pointing this out!

Also, tralinds, thanks for the very informative post and map! This will be very helpful.

Ditto to julesm. I'll try to get within walking distance, although I do consider myself a parking-ticket warrior after owning a car in San Francisco. My first week here, I received $200 in tickets for parking illegally outside a restaurant for 35 minutes. Still disputing that shit. That said, not at all interested in more tickets.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:40 pm

The City of Ann Arbor is pretty meticulous about giving out parking tickets. :wink:

Forcier

Postby Forcier » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:24 am

If money was no object (I'm assuming this price is per person not apt) this is the only place to live. The location is ridiculous
http://www.zaragonplace.com/index.php

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:44 am

Wow that's pretty nice. I also saw a smaller complex a little off of campus that was designed in a modern style, fully furnished, with like leather furniture, granite countertops, flat screen tvs...but the rent was like $1400/mo :(

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:06 am

starstruck393 wrote:Wow that's pretty nice. I also saw a smaller complex a little off of campus that was designed in a modern style, fully furnished, with like leather furniture, granite countertops, flat screen tvs...but the rent was like $1400/mo :(

411 Lofts?

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:27 am

they also sent out a solid list. If anyone wants what I put together, PM me. I'm going back during admitted students weekend 1 for the apt hunt and I'll try to report back

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:20 pm

I think it's about time I joined this thread.

I've been looking for apartments for a little while, but I'm nowhere near deciding on place. Definitely going to do that after visiting (and 100% sure on Michigan, of course). I'm another one who'd prefer to be at least a little distance away from the drunk undergrads, but still within walking distance of the school and stuff. The circled area on that big map seems like the best bet.

zardoz

Postby zardoz » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:46 pm

RE: Parking and the Lawyers Club

1L and live in the Lawyers Club. I have a car and parking has not been a big issue. I rarely use my car (maybe every two or three weeks). I bought a storage parking permit for the long-term lot by the tennis courts on State a mile or so south of the Law Quad, but I have yet to use the permit. I typically find parking on Tappan, University, or Oakland (check Tralind's map) south of Hill. That makes it about a two or three block walk to my car. The parking on these streets is not metered and does not require a residential permit.

washingtonian

Postby washingtonian » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:26 pm

thanks so much for everyone who has posted maps, advice, etc. on this board about Mich housing. it's definitely a little daunting to try and navigate housing from a different city, so i really appreciate it. does anyone have names of specific housing/apt. complexes they would recommend (preferably within walking distance of the law school), or is it really just a matter of going and finding rooms/apts within larger houses?

james18

Postby james18 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:24 pm

If anyone is interested in living a little bit away (in a nicer place) and just driving in, it's completely possible. Just keep an eye on craigslist for parking spots. I pay $40 a month and park about 4-5min from the law quad.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:51 pm

james18 wrote:If anyone is interested in living a little bit away (in a nicer place) and just driving in, it's completely possible. Just keep an eye on craigslist for parking spots. I pay $40 a month and park about 4-5min from the law quad.

Oh, that's sweet. If I had seen something that cheap, I would have done it. The ones I saw advertised were more like $75 to $90 a month, so for that price I decided I'd rather deal with the meters (or if need be, the S. Forest/Church St garage).

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Aeon wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:Wow that's pretty nice. I also saw a smaller complex a little off of campus that was designed in a modern style, fully furnished, with like leather furniture, granite countertops, flat screen tvs...but the rent was like $1400/mo :(

411 Lofts?

No, actually (I forgot about 411), but those work too...

bees

Postby bees » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:17 pm

washingtonian wrote:thanks so much for everyone who has posted maps, advice, etc. on this board about Mich housing. it's definitely a little daunting to try and navigate housing from a different city, so i really appreciate it. does anyone have names of specific housing/apt. complexes they would recommend (preferably within walking distance of the law school), or is it really just a matter of going and finding rooms/apts within larger houses?

+1, very helpful

navalspartan

Postby navalspartan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:29 pm

I am married and have a baby and we moved to AA in December. We live in the Burns Park area and we are a little less than 3/4 of a mile away from the Law Quad. The area is quiet and close to campus. It does transition quickly from UG housing to "real people" housing as my UG sister calls it. I would say that you are good if you find a place south of Cambridge and on or East of South Forrest.

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 pm

Greetings, all you incoming 1Ls :-)

Michigan 1L here, living off campus my first year. First, I would love to help any of you find a place (or with any other questions!); please PM me if you want to talk about off campus housing. I'm kinda a housing nerd so I can tell you what neighborhoods are good/not good, and how to navigate craigslist (which can be quite tricky). Now that I got my philanthropic stuff out of the way I'll figure I'd shamelessly plug...

--LinkRemoved--

This is my apartment, and it is available over the summer if there are any summer starters lurking about. It could also be renewed for next year, since I'm moving to a bigger place with my boyfriend. It's in Burns Park, which is an absolutely lovely neighborhood (even nicer than Kerrytown, but with more single-family homes and far fewer shops). Best of all, the landlord is awesome, which is tough to find in AA sometimes. Its a bit of a hike (12-15 mins) from the Law Quad, but even in the Michigan winter its not so bad.

/Shameless plug

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:17 pm

I call for a new "Michigan 1L/2L/3L taking questions" thread in the "Discuss Your School" forum! Any volunteers? Verdandi?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”