Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

starstruck393

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 am

maggiebre wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:Anyone else thinking about living in the Lawyer's Club? I'm thinking the cost might be worth the hassle of moving to a new city and apartment hunting and all, especially since I don't need to move much that way.

I already secured my spot. I don't love the idea of not having a kitchen/using a shared bathroom, but I think the pros outweigh the cons (at least for me). It will be nice not having to search for an apartment, plus the location is so convenient (and the dining facility seems pretty decent). I also think for the first year it will be nice social environment living with 1Ls.

It kills me to not get to live in the Lawyer's Club for a year, but the cost is pretty high compared to an apartment, and the difficulty in having a car is the real deal-breaker for me :cry:

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:31 am

maggiebre wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:Anyone else thinking about living in the Lawyer's Club? I'm thinking the cost might be worth the hassle of moving to a new city and apartment hunting and all, especially since I don't need to move much that way.

I already secured my spot. I don't love the idea of not having a kitchen/using a shared bathroom, but I think the pros outweigh the cons (at least for me). It will be nice not having to search for an apartment, plus the location is so convenient (and the dining facility seems pretty decent). I also think for the first year it will be nice social environment living with 1Ls.

Yea, that's pretty much exactly my thinking. I'll miss being able to bake, but I figure if anyone wants fresh baked goods they might let me borrow their kitchen. :wink: I printed off and sent in the app before they'd even sent me the housing packet.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:16 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
Alexandria wrote:My husband and I live about 3 miles from campus, and I just drive in and park at meters (or if I can't, but this is RARE, at a pay-per-half hour garage a few blocks from school). It was worth it to us to get something nicer than we could get within walking distance.

Sorry to be late on this, but I wanted to follow up -- from what you said, it sounds like there is no parking permit program/designated parking for law students. Is that right?

Yea, actually it goes even farther, to the point where the University, through its actions, essentially discourages students from having cars. The only college that seems even remotely car friendly is engineering, but that's up on north campus. Unless you have a handicap permit, finding parking with any consistency is next to impossible. Even some law school faculty and staff have to park in a commuter lot down by the stadium, and take a bus up...

There is a parking permit program for students (I think we are lumped in with grad students... it's not a special place for law students), but like starstruck says, the lots are not particularly convenient. That's why I just park at meters. I get away with this (i.e., I am able to find metered spots) because not many people do it. Most people live within walking distance or take the bus.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:24 pm

Alexandria wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
Alexandria wrote:My husband and I live about 3 miles from campus, and I just drive in and park at meters (or if I can't, but this is RARE, at a pay-per-half hour garage a few blocks from school). It was worth it to us to get something nicer than we could get within walking distance.

Sorry to be late on this, but I wanted to follow up -- from what you said, it sounds like there is no parking permit program/designated parking for law students. Is that right?

Yea, actually it goes even farther, to the point where the University, through its actions, essentially discourages students from having cars. The only college that seems even remotely car friendly is engineering, but that's up on north campus. Unless you have a handicap permit, finding parking with any consistency is next to impossible. Even some law school faculty and staff have to park in a commuter lot down by the stadium, and take a bus up...

There is a parking permit program for students (I think we are lumped in with grad students... it's not a special place for law students), but like starstruck says, the lots are not particularly convenient. That's why I just park at meters. I get away with this (i.e., I am able to find metered spots) because not many people do it. Most people live within walking distance or take the bus.

Yea, you get can get an Orange or maybe Yellow pass, but the nearest lots where you'd be able to use it are essentially so far away that you'd have to take the bus back up. I can't think of a student/commuter lot closer than the stadium to the south, or up above north campus. I guess you could walk from the stadium lot, but it would be close to a 15 minute walk, at which point was it really worth driving?

You can get metered parking sometimes, but I've been burned enough times looking for a spot and ending up having to park a ways away that I know not to count on it...

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:28 pm

I never really have a problem finding metered, but I think that's a function of my class schedule (looking for spots early in the morning and late in the afternoon). Last semester, when I had a 2:25 class, I had problems sometimes... though that went away as the semester went on... maybe people stopped going to class.

And, actually, last year it was even easier to find spots, before the construction got in the way.

Anyway, like I said, I think I get away with it bc not that many people do it.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:32 pm

PS, if metered parking gets harder, there's also that pay garage on South Forest that costs about $1 per hour. I think that's a better option than getting a parking permit.

I compared that to paying for a private space, and for me (bc I don't really study at the library or anything), the pay garage came out a little bit cheaper. But they're pretty comparable in terms of price... and if you plan to spend tons of time at school (like your 1L year when you have no choice about your schedule), a private spot may well be the way to go.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:35 pm

So how many 1Ls would you say have a car on campus? Do most people who live in the Lawyer's Club not bother?

bees

Postby bees » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:47 pm

I'll be living off campus without a car...not really looking forward to that.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:51 pm

maggiebre wrote:So how many 1Ls would you say have a car on campus? Do most people who live in the Lawyer's Club not bother?

I'm sure some do, but I can't imagine that many students in the Lawyer's Club having cars, since it's so hard to find a permanent spot to keep them...

blue16

Postby blue16 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:53 pm

I've had a car at Michigan and I've went without. Going without is much, much better. I'm going to go without the car and join ZipCar. I'll be living in the Lawyer's Club tho so I guess that helps with not needing a car.

bees

Postby bees » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:59 pm

blue16 wrote:I've had a car at Michigan and I've went without. Going without is much, much better. I'm going to go without the car and join ZipCar. I'll be living in the Lawyer's Club tho so I guess that helps with not needing a car.

How far away would you have been willing to live off campus w/o a car? I'm guessing you went there for UG.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Does anyone know whether Michigan is willing to defer scholarships for a year? Thanks.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:36 pm

summerschooled wrote:Does anyone know whether Michigan is willing to defer scholarships for a year? Thanks.

How big of a scholarship? I don't think they're too willing to defer scholarships, but they do re-evaluate deferred students for scholarships the next year, and barring a significant increase in their numbers, there's a good chance you would be awarded your scholarship again...

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:39 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
summerschooled wrote:Does anyone know whether Michigan is willing to defer scholarships for a year? Thanks.

How big of a scholarship? I don't think they're too willing to defer scholarships, but they do re-evaluate deferred students for scholarships the next year, and barring a significant increase in their numbers, there's a good chance you would be awarded your scholarship again...

I've got a 54k Dean's Scholarship. I'm hoping I'd be fairly safe in banking on a similar amount next year, especially considering how competitive this year has turned out. Thanks for the help!

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:20 pm

summerschooled wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

I've got a 54k Dean's Scholarship. I'm hoping I'd be fairly safe in banking on a similar amount next year, especially considering how competitive this year has turned out. Thanks for the help!

What are your numbers? I guess my take is if you were competitive enough to get that scholarship (and didn't feel like it was a fluke), and have a decent reason for them to grant you a deferral, you should be competitive again next cycle. I know for a fact that deferrals get re-evaluated and get scholarships if their numbers warrant them (unlike at some schools), so I think you're good. Plus, if you talk to Dean Z about this, I'm sure she'll be understanding (you do know the deferrals are binding, right?)

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:37 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
summerschooled wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

What are your numbers? I guess my take is if you were competitive enough to get that scholarship (and didn't feel like it was a fluke), and have a decent reason for them to grant you a deferral, you should be competitive again next cycle. I know for a fact that deferrals get re-evaluated and get scholarships if their numbers warrant them (unlike at some schools), so I think you're good. Plus, if you talk to Dean Z about this, I'm sure she'll be understanding (you do know the deferrals are binding, right?)

I'm a non-URM Hispanic with around a 3.5 and a 173. I've got a good reason to defer, so I'm hoping they won't give me a hard time about it. Either way, I'm definitely going to try to talk with Dean Z at Preview Weekend if I get a chance. I'm not 100% sure about Michigan yet, but I'm hoping my visits will help me decide for sure so I can really start moving on the deferral. Thanks again, you were a big help. :)

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:46 pm

summerschooled wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
summerschooled wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:Does anyone know whether Michigan is willing to defer scholarships for a year? Thanks.

I'm a non-URM Hispanic with around a 3.5 and a 173. I've got a good reason to defer, so I'm hoping they won't give me a hard time about it. Either way, I'm definitely going to try to talk with Dean Z at Preview Weekend if I get a chance. I'm not 100% sure about Michigan yet, but I'm hoping my visits will help me decide for sure so I can really start moving on the deferral. Thanks again, you were a big help. :)

Yea, hopefully that helped. With those numbers, you'd essentially be assured money next year, if you were to defer. But definitely talk to them. Dean Z and her staff were by far the best admissions office I dealt with. If I didn't already love Michigan, I would have fallen in love with it through my dealings with them...

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:31 am

ZOMG... Well, it isn't for sure yet so maybe I shouldn't be posting in here, but after today it is pretty likely I'll be at Mich in the fall! Woot!

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 am

congrats! glad to hear it!

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:28 am

emrose wrote:ZOMG... Well, it isn't for sure yet so maybe I shouldn't be posting in here, but after today it is pretty likely I'll be at Mich in the fall! Woot!

Well, make it for sure already, Michigan is too awesome to pass up! :P

Postby 02082010 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 am

Are you guys really excited for Michigan? Or still bitter that you didn't/couldn't get into UVA?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:47 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Are you guys really excited for Michigan? Or still bitter that you didn't/couldn't get into UVA?

Dude, stop adding insult to injury. It's not nice.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:59 am

emrose wrote:ZOMG... Well, it isn't for sure yet so maybe I shouldn't be posting in here, but after today it is pretty likely I'll be at Mich in the fall! Woot!

Tehee! Me too. :mrgreen:

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:12 am

Has anyone thought of doing the double suite? I like the idea of having a living room and I'm pretty social, never had problems with roommates. Has anyone heard really awful things about sharing?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:46 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Are you guys really excited for Michigan? Or still bitter that you didn't/couldn't get into UVA?

hopefulundergrad wrote:I'll trade my UVA for someone's Michigan.

Anyone?

hth

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”