Michigan Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

jackassjim

Bronze

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Post by jackassjim » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm

beesknees wrote:Let's say a single in walking distance to the LS.
Friend of mine rents the first floor of a house on a quiet street: small kitchen, large living room/office, 1 room +1 parking spot for 750$ It's about a 15 minutes walk from the quad. I think he got a pretty decent deal.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:13 pm

jackassjim wrote:
Friend of mine rents the first floor of a house on a quiet street: small kitchen, large living room/office, 1 room +1 parking spot for 750$ It's about a 15 minutes walk from the quad. I think he got a pretty decent deal.
Hmm, I need a pretty decent deal lol. Thanks for the estimates!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:10 pm

In case you guys missed it, Dean Z has started a new blog:

http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/default.aspx

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Alexandria wrote:In case you guys missed it, Dean Z has started a new blog:

That's pretty cool, all the more reason to love Michigan Law! Thanks for the heads up, Alexandria. :)

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:30 am

jackassjim wrote:
Do you know anything about married housing provided by the university? I've heard its pretty far from the law school. Where would most couples stay, and do you have a ballpark for how much a small 2-bedroom would run?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:40 am

ankit wrote:
jackassjim wrote:
Do you know anything about married housing provided by the university? I've heard its pretty far from the law school. Where would most couples stay, and do you have a ballpark for how much a small 2-bedroom would run?
I have a friend who lives in Northwood with his wife. I haven't been there yet (for some reason the timing of all invitations for dinner didn't work), but apparently the apartments are quite nice, though not too big. Also they're not too expensive. I think it was just over a thousand for a 2 bedroom, including utilities and internet (or something close to that).

The apartments are on north campus, which is a too far to walk (especially in the winter). You could certainly bike when there is little snow. The guy told me the (free) busses are great though. You can imagine that with a big community of students, the university made special efforts to arrange for public transport to and from there. I think it's just about a 10-15 minute ride, which is very reasonable I think. Throughout the city, the regular busses appear to come every half hour, and I think there are extra shuttles to Northwood in addition to that.

Also, I was told there's a nice sense of community among neighbors and less noise than around the undergrad complex'

edit: http://www.housing.umich.edu/northwood/

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:46 am

I have a friend who lived there all three years (graduated last year), and he said it took him about an hour to get to class, between walking to the bus stop, waiting for the bus, riding the bus, and then walking from the bus stop to school.

That said, I believe it was actually free for him, because his wife got a part-time job (on top of her normal job) doing some sort of managing of their section of Northwood.

Btw, if you also wanted to know about where couples live generally (couldn't tell if that was what you meant or within Northwood), they live all over. Close to school, far away, in complexes, in houses, etc. My husband and I live about 3 miles from campus, and I just drive in and park at meters (or if I can't, but this is RARE, at a pay-per-half hour garage a few blocks from school). It was worth it to us to get something nicer than we could get within walking distance.

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:53 am

Alexandria wrote:I have a friend who lived there all three years (graduated last year), and he said it took him about an hour to get to class, between walking to the bus stop, waiting for the bus, riding the bus, and then walking from the bus stop to school.

That said, I believe it was actually free for him, because his wife got a part-time job (on top of her normal job) doing some sort of managing of their section of Northwood.

Btw, if you also wanted to know about where couples live generally (couldn't tell if that was what you meant or within Northwood), they live all over. Close to school, far away, in complexes, in houses, etc. My husband and I live about 3 miles from campus, and I just drive in and park at meters (or if I can't, but this is RARE, at a pay-per-half hour garage a few blocks from school). It was worth it to us to get something nicer than we could get within walking distance.
That seems quite exaggerated. The buses stop at the door of Northwood, so there can't be much walking there, and it drops you off at the museum on the northeast-side of south campus. From there it's not even 5 minutes of walking to the quad (I had two classes back to back last semester: one in near the Pierpont commons, the other at the Ford school, so I know). The bus ride also can't be that long: http://pts.umich.edu/maps/northwood.pdf

I've done that itinerary in my car a few times, and it can't be too long. Maybe it takes an hour in total if you just missed the bus and you get all the red lights. But Ann Arbor never has heavy traffic, so I can't imagine there's much variance in the time it takes from the bus to get from A to B.

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:56 am

Alexandria wrote:My husband and I live about 3 miles from campus, and I just drive in and park at meters (or if I can't, but this is RARE, at a pay-per-half hour garage a few blocks from school). It was worth it to us to get something nicer than we could get within walking distance.
That's the solution we also chose, and we couldn't be happier.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 am

jackassjim wrote:
Alexandria wrote:My husband and I live about 3 miles from campus, and I just drive in and park at meters (or if I can't, but this is RARE, at a pay-per-half hour garage a few blocks from school). It was worth it to us to get something nicer than we could get within walking distance.
Sorry I'm a little lost, but is there a downside to finding apartments close to campus. I very likely won't have a car, and I would hate a long commute to school. I know Northwood is an option, but I'm wondering if I can find something similar in walking distance from the school.

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:09 am

ankit wrote:
jackassjim wrote:
Sorry I'm a little lost, but is there a downside to finding apartments close to campus. I very likely won't have a car, and I would hate a long commute to school. I know Northwood is an option, but I'm wondering if I can find something similar in walking distance from the school.
You can find something, but the market is dominated by undergrads, so the quality of the apartments is often questionable, and the prices are relatively high. If you are willing to walk just about 15 minutes (a real 15), then you'll be just outside of range and you should be ok.

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:12 am

sorry for the multiple posts. The real takeaway here, I think for everyone, should be: The housing market in Ann Arbor is quite easy to navigate and quite inexpensive. You'll all be fine.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 am

-
Last edited by fortissimo on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:30 am

fortissimo wrote:
It is possible to find nice apartments close to campus. I live a 7-8 minute WALK away from campus in a one-bedroom (approximately 600-700 square foot) apartment on North side. (This is not "North Campus.") I live near the Borders, Starbucks, and Urban Outfitters/American Apparel. It is honestly the nicest apartment I have had. The remodeled apartments in the building have hardwood, the appliances are very clean. There's a kitchen with a dishwasher, full stove/oven, dining area, living room, full bath, etc.

I split rent with my s/o and the total rent is $985, which is probably on the higher side for Ann Arbor. Heating/water are provided. We don't pay for internet because we pick up google wireless internet for free since google is right next door, although it is somewhat slow sometimes.

There are also some really nice apartments on Main Street, but that is a bit farther away (12-15 minute walk from campus or so).

I would look on north side (not north campus) if I were you. There are a lot nice apartments on north side within close walking distance of the law school yet are still far away from the undergrads on south side.
The thing is, I have the feeling your place is much smaller than ours... so it's all what your priorities are. We have two largish dogs, and my husband telecommutes, so he needed a home office. And beyond that, we owned a 3-bedroom townhouse before I decided to go back to school, so we have a lot of furniture and didn't really want to downsize too much. We weren't looking at apartments... we were looking at houses and townhouses. If you want space AND something relatively nice (bc the landlords of houses near campus either divide them up into apartments or just don't keep them up/modernize them very well), getting further out probably is necessary.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:38 am

-
Last edited by fortissimo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:51 am

VERY COOL!

For the record, I wouldn't suggest North Campus. It's not just the distance...it's also that it would be hard to be able to go out on a regular basis. It's probably not an inexpensive cab ride. I guess I don't know any law students living there....I would be shocked if there were many.

There are plenty of apartment complexes closer by such as Woodbury where there are a ton of law/business kids.

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:57 pm

awesomepossum wrote:

VERY COOL!

For the record, I wouldn't suggest North Campus. It's not just the distance...it's also that it would be hard to be able to go out on a regular basis. It's probably not an inexpensive cab ride. I guess I don't know any law students living there....I would be shocked if there were many.

There are plenty of apartment complexes closer by such as Woodbury where there are a ton of law/business kids.
Thanks a ton everyone....this is all very helpful!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Does anyone know if the Legal Writing class is graded? I can't seem to find an answer on the admitted students website.

verdandi

New

Post by verdandi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:11 am

jackassjim wrote:
This exactly describes my apartment as well - if you throw in free laundry :-) Michigan 1L here living off campus in a wonderful area called Burns Park (South of Hill Street, which is south of the campus in general). Not close to bars or anything but that means its super quiet and very residential. I have many neighbors who are law profs. Found the apartment on Craigslist, which can yield some real gems if you are 1) patient, 2) picky and 3) persistent. If you have other specific questions about housing, feel free to PM me.

Rockchalk: Legal Writing is not graded, its pass-fail with the option to get honors if you are one of the top students (makes you eligible to be a Senior Judge during your 2L year, which is essentially a TA for the legal writing program... I think the benefit beyond the prestige is you get a small stipend).

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 am

verdandi wrote:
jackassjim wrote:
This exactly describes my apartment as well - if you throw in free laundry :-) Michigan 1L here living off campus in a wonderful area called Burns Park (South of Hill Street, which is south of the campus in general). Not close to bars or anything but that means its super quiet and very residential. I have many neighbors who are law profs. Found the apartment on Craigslist, which can yield some real gems if you are 1) patient, 2) picky and 3) persistent. If you have other specific questions about housing, feel free to PM me.

Rockchalk: Legal Writing is not graded, its pass-fail with the option to get honors if you are one of the top students (makes you eligible to be a Senior Judge during your 2L year, which is essentially a TA for the legal writing program... I think the benefit beyond the prestige is you get a small stipend).
Gracias!

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:32 am

rockchalk86 wrote:Does anyone know if the Legal Writing class is graded? I can't seem to find an answer on the admitted students website.
It's Pass/Fail with top 20% of students getting High Pass (at professor's discretion, I don't think they HAVE to give HP to all 20%).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:21 am

Sorry to be late on this, but I wanted to follow up -- from what you said, it sounds like there is no parking permit program/designated parking for law students. Is that right?

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:55 am

Anyone else thinking about living in the Lawyer's Club? I'm thinking the cost might be worth the hassle of moving to a new city and apartment hunting and all, especially since I don't need to move much that way.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 am

thalassocrat wrote:Anyone else thinking about living in the Lawyer's Club? I'm thinking the cost might be worth the hassle of moving to a new city and apartment hunting and all, especially since I don't need to move much that way.
I already secured my spot. I don't love the idea of not having a kitchen/using a shared bathroom, but I think the pros outweigh the cons (at least for me). It will be nice not having to search for an apartment, plus the location is so convenient (and the dining facility seems pretty decent). I also think for the first year it will be nice social environment living with 1Ls.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:27 am

mayosmith wrote:
Sorry to be late on this, but I wanted to follow up -- from what you said, it sounds like there is no parking permit program/designated parking for law students. Is that right?
Yea, actually it goes even farther, to the point where the University, through its actions, essentially discourages students from having cars. The only college that seems even remotely car friendly is engineering, but that's up on north campus. Unless you have a handicap permit, finding parking with any consistency is next to impossible. Even some law school faculty and staff have to park in a commuter lot down by the stadium, and take a bus up...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”