Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Another Fall starter posted this on facebook.

http://propertydisposition.umich.edu/

This place is great for furniture, and it's not just office furniture. I picked up a buffet for the dining room (required some sanding to look presentable) and an old library card catalog for storage/decoration; I'm hoping to get a fan there soon. It's extremely cheap stuff in a large warehouse; probably most helpful, though, are the many, many desks and chairs they have.

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:01 pm

I did my best to get a good answer from the search function, but if someone could clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it: what is the verdict on parking while living in the LC?

I know a 2L who buys a yearly permit for ~$100 but I believe isn't permitted to keep his car there overnight or on football weekends (he commutes anyway, never lived in the LC). Is the only solution to pay monthly to park in somebody's yard/driveway? I realize that I won't often use the car but would like to have it within walking distance (even if it is a long walk, I don't mind) in case of emergency.

Thanks in advance!

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Wolverhoo wrote:I did my best to get a good answer from the search function, but if someone could clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it: what is the verdict on parking while living in the LC?

I know a 2L who buys a yearly permit for ~$100 but I believe isn't permitted to keep his car there overnight or on football weekends (he commutes anyway, never lived in the LC). Is the only solution to pay monthly to park in somebody's yard/driveway? I realize that I won't often use the car but would like to have it within walking distance (even if it is a long walk, I don't mind) in case of emergency.

Thanks in advance!

I think so though I'm a 0L so I don't know for sure. There are definitely no lots near the school. The one I park in on Sundays (no permit required that day) is posted no overnight parking.

Edit:
From the pts site:
http://pts.umich.edu/permit_parking/whats_new_st_11.php wrote:All vehicles must be moved within 48 hours, except for the limited student storage parking areas.

Looks like a student storage permit is $202 and they are very limited.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 pm

blowhard wrote:
Wolverhoo wrote:I did my best to get a good answer from the search function, but if someone could clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it: what is the verdict on parking while living in the LC?

Thanks in advance!

I think so though I'm a 0L so I don't know for sure. There are definitely no lots near the school. The one I park in on Sundays (no permit required that day) is posted no overnight parking.

Edit:
From the pts site:
http://pts.umich.edu/permit_parking/whats_new_st_11.php wrote:All vehicles must be moved within 48 hours, except for the limited student storage parking areas.

Looks like a student storage permit is $202 and they are very limited.

Yes, that's correct. I would rent a spot from one of the surrounding houses.

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Thank you, that is very helpful... just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was overlooking!

jh60405

Postby jh60405 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on the installment payment plan run through Sallie Mae?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:27 pm

jh60405 wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on the installment payment plan run through Sallie Mae?

Unless you are paying cash for some of it...would it really be all that helpful?

zardoz

Postby zardoz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:42 pm

I lived at the LC last year and had a car. I bought a storage permit and never used it. Instead, I used street parking south of the law quad. South of Hill, you can park without a permit on Oakland, Tappan, and E. University (and a number of the other side streets). A lot of LC people park here. You may have to drive around a little bit to find a space (depending on when you move your car -- don't move it on football days!), but it was never horrible. I once had to park seven or eight blocks away, but most of the time I was only about three blocks from the LC. If you don't use your car much, it is a good option. Also, sign up for the emergency alerts with the City of Ann Arbor for snow emergencies (when you might have to move your car) -- --LinkRemoved-- (use the link on the right hand side to sign up for alerts).

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:45 pm

zardoz wrote:I lived at the LC last year and had a car. I bought a storage permit and never used it. Instead, I used street parking south of the law quad. South of Hill, you can park without a permit on Oakland, Tappan, and E. University (and a number of the other side streets). A lot of LC people park here. You may have to drive around a little bit to find a space (depending on when you move your car -- don't move it on football days!), but it was never horrible. I once had to park seven or eight blocks away, but most of the time I was only about three blocks from the LC. If you don't use your car much, it is a good option. Also, sign up for the emergency alerts with the City of Ann Arbor for snow emergencies (when you might have to move your car) -- --LinkRemoved-- (use the link on the right hand side to sign up for alerts).

Could you leave the car there for long periods of time (a week or two) without it getting towed?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed, but does anybody know or know where to find the bed dimensions in the LC? Anybody know when we can begin mailing stuff there? They're a bit difficult to get in contact with.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 pm

PKSebben wrote:
zardoz wrote:I lived at the LC last year and had a car. I bought a storage permit and never used it. Instead, I used street parking south of the law quad. South of Hill, you can park without a permit on Oakland, Tappan, and E. University (and a number of the other side streets). A lot of LC people park here. You may have to drive around a little bit to find a space (depending on when you move your car -- don't move it on football days!), but it was never horrible. I once had to park seven or eight blocks away, but most of the time I was only about three blocks from the LC. If you don't use your car much, it is a good option. Also, sign up for the emergency alerts with the City of Ann Arbor for snow emergencies (when you might have to move your car) -- --LinkRemoved-- (use the link on the right hand side to sign up for alerts).

Could you leave the car there for long periods of time (a week or two) without it getting towed?

I was going to ask this. In most states anything over 72 hours is considered abandoned and will be towed if someone who lives it there calls it in.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Bronte wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed, but does anybody know or know where to find the bed dimensions in the LC? Anybody know when we can begin mailing stuff there? They're a bit difficult to get in contact with.

They looked like twins when I toured.

zardoz

Postby zardoz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:48 pm

jh60405 wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on the installment payment plan run through Sallie Mae?

I know there was some issue with using the installment plan and getting your student loan refund last year. I don't remember exactly what it was, but some people had a lot of trouble getting access to their loan money in time to buy books and such. I would check on this with the financial aid people at the law school.

zardoz

Postby zardoz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:49 pm

blowhard wrote:
Bronte wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed, but does anybody know or know where to find the bed dimensions in the LC? Anybody know when we can begin mailing stuff there? They're a bit difficult to get in contact with.

They are extra long twins. This won't matter much for the top sheet, but make sure to get an extra long twin bottom sheet.

zardoz

Postby zardoz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:50 pm

blowhard wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

I was going to ask this. In most states anything over 72 hours is considered abandoned and will be towed if someone who lives it there calls it in.

I used my car every 1-2 weeks, and it was never a problem. I left it over Spring Break as well (although I did leave my keys with a friend in case of snow emergencies).

zardoz

Postby zardoz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Bronte wrote:Anybody know when we can begin mailing stuff there (the LC)? They're a bit difficult to get in contact with.

Probably mid-August. Most of the 2L's doing OCI will be moving in around August 21st or 22nd. The LC isn't open at all in the summer, so getting in contact can be difficult.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:50 pm

zardoz wrote:
blowhard wrote:

They are extra long twins. This won't matter much for the top sheet, but make sure to get an extra long twin bottom sheet.

On the plus side, most places will have Twin-XL sheets on sale for the next few weeks or so since it's standard dorm size. Also I remember the email with the lease saying they won't accept shipped items until the 26th. If you're just trying to reroute mail, maybe the early check-in date (Aug 23rd) will work but I don't know for sure.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:44 am

I'm new to cold weather and I have been picking up some winter clothes, but I have a few stupid questions. I ordered a Northface 3-in-1 jacket on sale. Is this going to be enough for the winter? Also, I didn't realize there were so many types of gloves do I get fleece gloves or ski gloves? Both? What about my lower body? Do I wear long johns or something or do I wear something over my jeans? I know this seems silly, but 2 inches of snow is an epic blizzard where I come from. Thanks for the help!

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:09 pm

doinmybest wrote:I'm new to cold weather and I have been picking up some winter clothes, but I have a few stupid questions. I ordered a Northface 3-in-1 jacket on sale. Is this going to be enough for the winter? Also, I didn't realize there were so many types of gloves do I get fleece gloves or ski gloves? Both? What about my lower body? Do I wear long johns or something or do I wear something over my jeans? I know this seems silly, but 2 inches of snow is an epic blizzard where I come from. Thanks for the help!

LOL, it doesn't get that cold. (I mean, it get's cold but not your going to freeze to death instantly if exposed cold.) I haven't experienced a MI winter since I was 14 but my first base was ND where it gets to -70 with the wind chill. I don't wear anything under or over jeans unless I am going to be exposed for a long time (for just walking to/from class, etc you wouldn't need long johns). I wear regular leather driving gloves with a fleece liner unless I am ski'ing or something that will have me outside for hours. Any decent winter jacket will be fine.

Keep in mind you don't want to sweat...that will make you colder. You should dress in layers and remove layers so you aren't sweating.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 pm

blowhard wrote:
doinmybest wrote:I'm new to cold weather and I have been picking up some winter clothes, but I have a few stupid questions. I ordered a Northface 3-in-1 jacket on sale. Is this going to be enough for the winter? Also, I didn't realize there were so many types of gloves do I get fleece gloves or ski gloves? Both? What about my lower body? Do I wear long johns or something or do I wear something over my jeans? I know this seems silly, but 2 inches of snow is an epic blizzard where I come from. Thanks for the help!

LOL, it doesn't get that cold. (I mean, it get's cold but not your going to freeze to death instantly if exposed cold.) I haven't experienced a MI winter since I was 14 but my first base was ND where it gets to -70 with the wind chill. I don't wear anything under or over jeans unless I am going to be exposed for a long time (for just walking to/from class, etc you wouldn't need long johns). I wear regular leather driving gloves with a fleece liner unless I am ski'ing or something that will have me outside for hours. Any decent winter jacket will be fine.

Keep in mind you don't want to sweat...that will make you colder. You should dress in layers and remove layers so you aren't sweating.

Thanks!

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Anyone get their football tickets in the mail yet? If not, anyone know the general ETA on when they should come by mail?

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:54 pm

goodolgil wrote:Anyone get their football tickets in the mail yet? If not, anyone know the general ETA on when they should come by mail?

I e-mailed them previously and they said the first week of August...so any day.

hartjen2

Postby hartjen2 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:33 pm

zardoz wrote:
blowhard wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

I used my car every 1-2 weeks, and it was never a problem. I left it over Spring Break as well (although I did leave my keys with a friend in case of snow emergencies).

This may have a really obvious answer, but where did you move your car to when there were snow emergencies?

wolverine2013

Postby wolverine2013 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Is anyone else here going to MAP? Has everyone else received the schedule? I haven't gotten it yet and am not sure when I would need to arrive to Ann Arbor.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”