Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

snickersnicker

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby snickersnicker » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:02 pm

PKSebben wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:Really all depends on where you'll be living and how often you go to the gym. I live half a block from the law school and kitty-corner from the business school, so it would be super convenient for me. But, the IMSB is only three blocks away, during the summer it's not crowded, and I only go twice a week anyway, so spending the $150 doesn't make sense for me. If you're a gym rat and want to go straight from class to the gym, it's worth it; if not, probably don't bother.

you live in Dominicks?

Dominick's is not half a block from the law school. I live at Tappan and Hill.

Also, echoing the sentiment that you should not live in Ypsilanti, KSU (unless it's in a quiet neighborhood in the historic district). I went to undergrad there. Most of the town is a dump and it is dangerous.

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:51 am

KSU 09 wrote:Does anyone know anything about some of the mckinley apts in Ypsi other than that they are kind of far away. I visited Aspen Chase and it seemed nice, but its reviews on the internet are awful and make the place sound dangerous.

and I would stay far away from the McKinley places in Ann Arbor, or just McKinley in general. You don't want to know what is behind the curtain as a resident.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:18 pm

PKSebben wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:
KSU 09 wrote:Does anyone know anything about some of the mckinley apts in Ypsi other than that they are kind of far away. I visited Aspen Chase and it seemed nice, but its reviews on the internet are awful and make the place sound dangerous.

and I would stay far away from the McKinley places in Ann Arbor, or just McKinley in general. You don't want to know what is behind the curtain as a resident.

I've heard this from others as well. What's the deal?

I just asked the maintenance guy who was working in my apt at harbor house. He said they are really cheap because they buy properties on the verge of foreclosure and try to flip them. As a result, everything is about money with them. They nickel and dime every single thing they can.

He said a lot of the people moving into HH say how terrible their management was. For instance, harbor house sent the maintenance guy to clean the coils on my HVAC so it worked more efficiently. This will save me money on my electric. McKinley wouldn't have bothered since it was able to keep my apt at 75 degrees as it was.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:09 pm

blowhard wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:

I just asked the maintenance guy who was working in my apt at harbor house. He said they are really cheap because they buy properties on the verge of foreclosure and try to flip them. As a result, everything is about money with them. They nickel and dime every single thing they can.

He said a lot of the people moving into HH say how terrible their management was. For instance, harbor house sent the maintenance guy to clean the coils on my HVAC so it worked more efficiently. This will save me money on my electric. McKinley wouldn't have bothered since it was able to keep my apt at 75 degrees as it was.

What do you think of Harbor House? Which apartment did you take there (how many bedrooms)?

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:10 am

RhubarbPie wrote:
What do you think of Harbor House? Which apartment did you take there (how many bedrooms)?

I like it. I got the two bedroom larger floorplan on the first floor. My ac was a little sketchy last night but I emailed in a work order and maintenance called me at 8 am to come fix it. It's clean and well maintained. The appliances could use updating...it's my only complaint. Though the maintenance guy told me a new owner is in the process of buying it and he is planning in money to start upgrading them. They work, they are just old.

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:00 pm

PKSebben wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:

I agree with blowhard. They will do whatever it takes to fill the apartments then leave you once you have signed. They expanded far to fast as prices dropped and didn't have the adequate support. For instance, my first two months I dealt with 7 different leasing agents with problems that were on my move in sheet. Many were never fixed. They are struggling to fill spots right now, so if know you're on your own then you can negotiate a good deal. The current referral bonus is 400 dollars.

Plus, the wiring in the building, I'm sure, would not pass code. The part of town I'm in looses power when no one else does. I had to sleep on a couch a night before a final last year.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:43 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:

I agree with blowhard. They will do whatever it takes to fill the apartments then leave you once you have signed. They expanded far to fast as prices dropped and didn't have the adequate support. For instance, my first two months I dealt with 7 different leasing agents with problems that were on my move in sheet. Many were never fixed. They are struggling to fill spots right now, so if know you're on your own then you can negotiate a good deal. The current referral bonus is 400 dollars.

Plus, the wiring in the building, I'm sure, would not pass code. The part of town I'm in looses power when no one else does. I had to sleep on a couch a night before a final last year.

Wow, what apartment complex did you live in?

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:59 pm

blowhard wrote:
RhubarbPie wrote:

I like it. I got the two bedroom larger floorplan on the first floor. My ac was a little sketchy last night but I emailed in a work order and maintenance called me at 8 am to come fix it. It's clean and well maintained. The appliances could use updating...it's my only complaint. Though the maintenance guy told me a new owner is in the process of buying it and he is planning in money to start upgrading them. They work, they are just old.

Thanks! Do you drive to campus or is the bus convenient enough to the complex to take to school?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:21 pm

RhubarbPie wrote:
blowhard wrote:
RhubarbPie wrote:

Thanks! Do you drive to campus or is the bus convenient enough to the complex to take to school?

I just moved in but the #7 bus picks up 15 feet from my door.

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:59 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Wow, what apartment complex did you live in?

I'll PM you

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:46 am

washingtonian wrote:has anyone heard anything about MAP? i am trying to figure out my move date, but haven't heard yet if i have gotten in.

Just heard back today - the tone of email didn't sound like, "hey, you're lucky we chose you!" it was more of a, "we're glad you decided to come". Not sure if that's accurate or not, but people should be hearing back.

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Shlonster wrote:
washingtonian wrote:has anyone heard anything about MAP? i am trying to figure out my move date, but haven't heard yet if i have gotten in.

Just heard back today - the tone of email didn't sound like, "hey, you're lucky we chose you!" it was more of a, "we're glad you decided to come". Not sure if that's accurate or not, but people should be hearing back.

i got the same email. see y'all soon!

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:41 pm

bfinlayson wrote:
Shlonster wrote:

i got the same email. see y'all soon!

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:09 pm

received my MAP email about 5 minutes ago. I'm excited. I'll see you all in a few weeks.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:49 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:received my MAP email about 5 minutes ago. I'm excited. I'll see you all in a few weeks.
+1

Sweet! Just got one too. I was afraid my app wasn't social justicy enough. See you all on the 24th if not sooner! :D

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Pretty bummed :cry: . Got the email but it doesn't look like I'll be able to attend MAP anymore.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm slow at sending in my finalized undergraduate transcript. What address are we supposed to send it to? Just the admissions office?

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:27 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:I'm slow at sending in my finalized undergraduate transcript. What address are we supposed to send it to? Just the admissions office?

That's where I sent mine.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:36 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:Pretty bummed :cry: . Got the email but it doesn't look like I'll be able to attend MAP anymore.
:?: :( why not?

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:02 pm

holydonkey wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Pretty bummed :cry: . Got the email but it doesn't look like I'll be able to attend MAP anymore.

We originally planned on moving to AA at the beg of August from LA, but we lost out on the unit we were looking at while our app was being processed. Had to settle for an end of August unit (like the last couple days of August). We also already gave notice at our current apartment and so we have to be out by end of July. End result: cross country road trip to my wife's parents' house in Florida with our dogs, chill there for a couple weeks until we can move in to our new apt, and then drive from Florida to AA right before orientation on the 30th. Was hoping to have a couple weeks to get settled, set up utilities, meet some of my fellow class mates, etc but shit happens.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:32 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

We originally planned on moving to AA at the beg of August from LA, but we lost out on the unit we were looking at while our app was being processed. Had to settle for an end of August unit (like the last couple days of August). We also already gave notice at our current apartment and so we have to be out by end of July. End result: cross country road trip to my wife's parents' house in Florida with our dogs, chill there for a couple weeks until we can move in to our new apt, and then drive from Florida to AA right before orientation on the 30th. Was hoping to have a couple weeks to get settled, set up utilities, meet some of my fellow class mates, etc but shit happens.
wow, man, that sucks. If you need help moving when you get there, let me know. My wife and I will be there pretty early (in like 3 weeks).

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 pm

holydonkey wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

wow, man, that sucks. If you need help moving when you get there, let me know.

+1. I'm here already, moved out last week.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:35 am

Sadly I won't be able to go to MAP. Will be moving into the LC on Aug 27th. Looking forward to it!

ankit

Postby ankit » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 am

holydonkey wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:received my MAP email about 5 minutes ago. I'm excited. I'll see you all in a few weeks.
+1

Sweet! Just got one too. I was afraid my app wasn't social justicy enough. See you all on the 24th if not sooner! :D

Got the e-mail too! Will be in AA on the 8th of August, so hoping to catch some of you before MAP starts....

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”