Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

Amelie

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Amelie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:12 am

Is anyone who's already received a scholarship offer going to try to negotiate for more aid? The scholarship letter specifically said they "aren't in the practice of negotiating," but I'm not sure how seriously to take it. I don't want to sound demanding or ungrateful for what Mich has already given me, but UVA gave me almost $30k more, and I feel like I should really give negotiating a shot...

Anyone else?

navalspartan

Postby navalspartan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:17 am

Yes, you should let Michigan know that UVA offered $30K more. I believe that UVA is one of the schools that Michigan will consider matching.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:20 am

maggiebre wrote:Is anyone who's already received a scholarship offer going to try to negotiate for more aid? The scholarship letter specifically said they "aren't in the practice of negotiating," but I'm not sure how seriously to take it. I don't want to sound demanding or ungrateful for what Mich has already given me, but UVA gave me almost $30k more, and I feel like I should really give negotiating a shot...

Anyone else?

I sympathize, but I can almost guarantee you you won't get more. Dean's Scholarships are capped at $67k, which is where you're at. The only way to get more would be with a Darrow, which they didn't select you for. I guess you could try to ask to be reconsidered for a Darrow, given your numbers, strong interest for U of M and desire to avoid as much debt as possible. I don't think it would work, but if you could make it come off sincerely, who knows. Personally, I wouldn't bother and risk pissing them off, but that's just me.

I think the only ones who have a decent shot at possible negotiating are those with 30, 45 or $54k with a larger T14 $$ trying to get bumped to $67k...

z*z

Postby z*z » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 am

For the summer starters: Does anyone have any guesses as to what our first semester courses are going to be? I know that we will have one less doctrinal course than the fall starters but I am curious as to what we will be taking. My guess is that we will have Legal writing this summer. Apart from that though, does anyone know if the doctrinal courses are consistent from year to year.

Side Note: For any Michigan State Alums; has anyone seen / is disgusted with the proposed new Spartan logo? (I might have to become Wolverine fan :cry: )

http://blog.mlive.com/ganggreen/2010/01 ... o_unv.html

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:32 am

z*z wrote:Side Note: For any Michigan State Alums; has anyone seen / is disgusted with the proposed new Spartan logo? (I might have to become Wolverine fan :cry: )

Ucch, that's awful. I didn't go to MSU, but my dad and grandpa are going to be pissed. What was wrong with the old one?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:33 am

starstruck393 wrote:I sympathize, but I can almost guarantee you you won't get more. Dean's Scholarships are capped at $67k, which is where you're at. The only way to get more would be with a Darrow, which they didn't select you for. I guess you could try to ask to be reconsidered for a Darrow, given your numbers, strong interest for U of M and desire to avoid as much debt as possible. I don't think it would work, but if you could make it come off sincerely, who knows. Personally, I wouldn't bother and risk pissing them off, but that's just me.

I think the only ones who have a decent shot at possible negotiating are those with 30, 45 or $54k with a larger T14 $$ trying to get bumped to $67k...

Yea, that is my concern. I feel like asking may be futile and I don't want to piss them off. At this point I think I like Michigan more than UVA... but $30k is a lot of money. Ugh I guess I'll have to think it over.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 am

maggiebre wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:I sympathize, but I can almost guarantee you you won't get more. Dean's Scholarships are capped at $67k, which is where you're at. The only way to get more would be with a Darrow, which they didn't select you for. I guess you could try to ask to be reconsidered for a Darrow, given your numbers, strong interest for U of M and desire to avoid as much debt as possible. I don't think it would work, but if you could make it come off sincerely, who knows. Personally, I wouldn't bother and risk pissing them off, but that's just me.

Yea, that is my concern. I feel like asking may be futile and I don't want to piss them off. At this point I think I like Michigan more than UVA... but $30k is a lot of money. Ugh I guess I'll have to think it over.

Going off of LSN, isn't it more like $23k? (Just curious).

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 am

starstruck393 wrote:

Haha yea, bad rounding on my part. Though it does make it seem like less of a jump.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:39 am

z*z wrote:For the summer starters: Does anyone have any guesses as to what our first semester courses are going to be? I know that we will have one less doctrinal course than the fall starters but I am curious as to what we will be taking. My guess is that we will have Legal writing this summer. Apart from that though, does anyone know if the doctrinal courses are consistent from year to year.

Side Note: For any Michigan State Alums; has anyone seen / is disgusted with the proposed new Spartan logo? (I might have to become Wolverine fan :cry: )

We will have Legal Practice I, and Legal Practice Skills. As for the doctrinal courses, each of the past two summers they've had torts, so I would be inclined to guess that torts would be one. As for the other, last summer they had civ pro, and the summer before that contracts, so it's anyone's guess...

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:45 am

maggiebre wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Haha yea, bad rounding on my part. Though it does make it seem like less of a jump.

Yea. I mean, for $22.5k (to be exact), it's starting to get to the territory where you should go to the school you like more, where you'd be happier. If you liked both schools (programs, location, atmosphere, etc) equally, then I'd probably say UVA. But I love Michigan, and would take Michigan for $23k more than UVA in a heartbeat. (You're not a VA resident, right, because that would change things...)

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 am

z*z wrote:Side Note: For any Michigan State Alums; has anyone seen / is disgusted with the proposed new Spartan logo? (I might have to become Wolverine fan :cry: )

Looks like state has sparty'd away their decent logo :lol:. Haha, Go Blue!

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:50 am

starstruck393 wrote:Yea. I mean, for $22.5k (to be exact), it's starting to get to the territory where you should go to the school you like more, where you'd be happier. If you liked both schools (programs, location, atmosphere, etc) equally, then I'd probably say UVA. But I love Michigan, and would take Michigan for $23k more than UVA in a heartbeat. (You're not a VA resident, right, because that would change things...)

Nope, not a resident. Right now I'm kind of in love with Michigan haha... and I'm thinking I'll take it over CCN, as well. I just won't have any idea of what to do until after ASWs, I guess.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:13 pm

maggiebre wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:Yea. I mean, for $22.5k (to be exact), it's starting to get to the territory where you should go to the school you like more, where you'd be happier. If you liked both schools (programs, location, atmosphere, etc) equally, then I'd probably say UVA. But I love Michigan, and would take Michigan for $23k more than UVA in a heartbeat. (You're not a VA resident, right, because that would change things...)

Nope, not a resident. Right now I'm kind of in love with Michigan haha... and I'm thinking I'll take it over CCN, as well. I just won't have any idea of what to do until after ASWs, I guess.

Are you going to the first or second ASW?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:53 pm

maggiebre wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
maggiebre wrote:Nope, not a resident. Right now I'm kind of in love with Michigan haha... and I'm thinking I'll take it over CCN, as well. I just won't have any idea of what to do until after ASWs, I guess.

First one, how about you?

Second, I have a schedule conflict during the first weekend. It kind of sucks that most of the TLSers seem to be going for the first, but I keep telling myself that at least the weather should be nicer for the second one (I have to find a silver lining somehow...)

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:14 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
maggiebre wrote:Is anyone who's already received a scholarship offer going to try to negotiate for more aid? The scholarship letter specifically said they "aren't in the practice of negotiating," but I'm not sure how seriously to take it. I don't want to sound demanding or ungrateful for what Mich has already given me, but UVA gave me almost $30k more, and I feel like I should really give negotiating a shot...

Anyone else?

I sympathize, but I can almost guarantee you you won't get more. Dean's Scholarships are capped at $67k, which is where you're at. The only way to get more would be with a Darrow, which they didn't select you for. I guess you could try to ask to be reconsidered for a Darrow, given your numbers, strong interest for U of M and desire to avoid as much debt as possible. I don't think it would work, but if you could make it come off sincerely, who knows. Personally, I wouldn't bother and risk pissing them off, but that's just me.

I really don't think you need to worry about risking pissing them off. They are not going to revoke your admission or scholarship or even think badly of you for doing something that is very common... approaching them about a larger scholarship at a comparable school.

They may say no, but it's worth a shot.

I had nothing from Michigan and got a scholarship after presenting them with my Duke $.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
z*z wrote:For the summer starters: Does anyone have any guesses as to what our first semester courses are going to be? I know that we will have one less doctrinal course than the fall starters but I am curious as to what we will be taking. My guess is that we will have Legal writing this summer. Apart from that though, does anyone know if the doctrinal courses are consistent from year to year.

We will have Legal Practice I, and Legal Practice Skills. As for the doctrinal courses, each of the past two summers they've had torts, so I would be inclined to guess that torts would be one. As for the other, last summer they had civ pro, and the summer before that contracts, so it's anyone's guess...

Legal Practice Skills isn't actually a class that you have to go to. It's really just an extra credit you get the first semester of LP.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
beesknees wrote:If someone is interested in PI they pretty much have to consider LRAP unless they're getting full rides or have wealthy and generous parents. Without those programs, the top law schools are out of reach for those who don't have either of the above and who aren't going for biglaw.

Oh, I understand that. In my opinion, there are really two types of schools: those that have good LRAP programs, and those that don't (or don't have any). I think those interested in PI definitely should go (if they can) to a school with a good program. And it's fine to compare them, but I guess I would caution about splitting hairs between LRAP programs and using that as a main factor in your decision. I guess my point was that in this situation you should pick from a school that has a good LRAP program, and you should make your choice from that group based on stable factors (picking a school you like, based on prestige, a location you like, near the market you want to work in, where you think you'll fit in, what's cheapest, has programs you're interested in, whatever...) much more so than on unstable factors like whose LRAP program is slightly better, since for all we know they could drastically change in a few years...

Yeah, that's definitely a valid point.

Michigan's LRAP seems pretty good and is definitely the best one out of the schools I've been accepted to, lol. I can't choose between Chicago or Michigan or NYU, unfortunately.

On a side note, for the other SSers, what timeframe are you looking at to find a place to sublet for the summer? I don't want to be totally behind the game, but when I did a summer internship in Boston, I had to start looking for housing in February to get a place for June.

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:17 pm

maggiebre wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
maggiebre wrote:Nope, not a resident. Right now I'm kind of in love with Michigan haha... and I'm thinking I'll take it over CCN, as well. I just won't have any idea of what to do until after ASWs, I guess.

First one, how about you?

Come in a day early and go watch the semifinals of Campbell Moot Court the evening of March 10! It will be the top 4 of the 70+ 2L and 3L teams (of two) that originally participated. And top faculty members act as judges (circuit court judges come in for finals). You would really enjoy it!

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:23 pm

beesknees wrote:On a side note, for the other SSers, what timeframe are you looking at to find a place to sublet for the summer? I don't want to be totally behind the game, but when I did a summer internship in Boston, I had to start looking for housing in February to get a place for June.

It's a good question -- there's already a fair number of summer sublets up on Craiglist. Any current students want to give us an idea of when we should start looking, and when's too late?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 pm

I apologize if this question has been answered already, but what's a nice apartment near campus tend to run? Ballpark?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I apologize if this question has been answered already, but what's a nice apartment near campus tend to run? Ballpark?

Are think thinking single or double/triple/etc?

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Let's say a single in walking distance to the LS.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:34 pm

beesknees wrote:Let's say a single in walking distance to the LS.

About $600 to $900 for a nice apartment per month, I'd say. Prices can and do vary depending on the facilities, location, size, etc. There are a few great sites that let you browse through available apartments in the area, a quick Internet search should yield a few.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:37 pm

Aeon wrote:
beesknees wrote:Let's say a single in walking distance to the LS.

About $600 to $900 for a nice apartment per month, I'd say. Prices can and do vary depending on the facilities, location, size, etc. There are a few great sites that let you browse through available apartments in the area, a quick Internet search should yield a few.

$600 is kind of a pipe dream. Realistically, you're going to be talking more like $700-$900, plus utilities on top of that. The housing sheet that came with the admissions packet is really helpful in finding something...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”