Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
2
15%
The bestest ever?
4
31%
The best there has ever been?
7
54%
 
Total votes: 13

snickersnicker
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby snickersnicker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 am

I applied early decision, so I wasn't eligible for merit aid. But yeah, if I'm not mistaken, they won't give need- and merit-based aid jointly, or at least not once you've received a certain amount of merit aid. You may want to contact them and see how much you could qualify for in need-based aid if you chose to forgo the merit aid (though I'm not sure if they even allow this).

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Teoeo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:00 am

I don't suppose any of you guys are going to withdraw and open up spots for us waitlisters xD

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:45 am

snickersnicker wrote:I applied early decision, so I wasn't eligible for merit aid. But yeah, if I'm not mistaken, they won't give need- and merit-based aid jointly, or at least not once you've received a certain amount of merit aid. You may want to contact them and see how much you could qualify for in need-based aid if you chose to forgo the merit aid (though I'm not sure if they even allow this).


It must have been because of your LSAT/GPA, because I was told ED, WL->A and deferred students are all considered for merit aid the same as regular RD applicants

snickersnicker
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby snickersnicker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 am

starstruck393 wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:I applied early decision, so I wasn't eligible for merit aid. But yeah, if I'm not mistaken, they won't give need- and merit-based aid jointly, or at least not once you've received a certain amount of merit aid. You may want to contact them and see how much you could qualify for in need-based aid if you chose to forgo the merit aid (though I'm not sure if they even allow this).


It must have been because of your LSAT/GPA, because I was told ED, WL->A and deferred students are all considered for merit aid the same as regular RD applicants


Looks like you're right. I think I read the first sentence of this bit when applying and neglected to read the rest:

"Students for whom financial aid considerations are paramount are not well suited for this program, since financial aid decisions are not made until later in the season. (Early Decision admitted students are, however, eligible for our merit- and need-based grants on the same terms as every other admitted student.)"

Either way, yeah, my LSAT score would not have gotten me any merit aid. Need-based is fine, though; money is money.

User avatar
tl
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby tl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:02 pm

As an aside, I would strongly encourage any and everyone to take out GradPlus loans. It's sad to say, but the large majority of you will not be getting jobs that will pay off your loans. The government/public interest loan forgiveness program will be your savior.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby goodolgil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:48 am

tl wrote:As an aside, I would strongly encourage any and everyone to take out GradPlus loans. It's sad to say, but the large majority of you will not be getting jobs that will pay off your loans. The government/public interest loan forgiveness program will be your savior.


I'm confused. What would people who need to take out loans beyond Stafford to pay for school be taking out besides PLUS loans?

Also, anyone know if anything about PLUS loans show up on Wolverine Access? Everything else has processed in the last few days except for that. Just wonder if I should look out for that.

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:15 pm

goodolgil wrote:
tl wrote:As an aside, I would strongly encourage any and everyone to take out GradPlus loans. It's sad to say, but the large majority of you will not be getting jobs that will pay off your loans. The government/public interest loan forgiveness program will be your savior.


I'm confused. What would people who need to take out loans beyond Stafford to pay for school be taking out besides PLUS loans?

Also, anyone know if anything about PLUS loans show up on Wolverine Access? Everything else has processed in the last few days except for that. Just wonder if I should look out for that.


I think some people might at least consider private loans, just because the interest rates are currently lower if you have great credit. For your second question, when I called the other day the woman on the phone in the FA office said they weren't even processing GradPLUS applications for fall students until July because of the 90 day limit on the credit check. It should show up after they process it.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby goodolgil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Hasn't the government pretty much taken over loans completely?

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:39 pm

goodolgil wrote:Hasn't the government pretty much taken over loans completely?


Only the ones that were originally federal loans that could be offered through a financial institution (Stafford, GradPLUs, etc). There are still options out there for private educational loans that aren't financed by the government and never were.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby goodolgil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Gotcha

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby doinmybest » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:01 am

Teoeo wrote:I don't suppose any of you guys are going to withdraw and open up spots for us waitlisters xD


Convince Stanford to accept me off the WL then we'll talk. ;)

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:33 pm

goodolgil wrote:Bought footbll tickets :mrgreen:

Oh, btw, I was googling around about Michigan football tickets and foudn this on the UMich Business School site

http://www.bus.umich.edu/studentlife/faq.htm

Q: Should I order Michigan football tickets; even if I don't think I'll want any of them?
A: Yes! Although Michigan Stadium seats more than 100,000 people, there is always
tremendous demand for extra football tickets, and your fellow students or other Michigan
fans will gratefully purchase any (or all) of yours if you don't want them. In some cases
(for instance games against Ohio State or Michigan State), you can sell a single student
ticket for more than you paid for all six home game tickets. Note that ticket "scalping"
(reselling tickets for at a price above their face value) is technically illegal
, and that
Ann Arbor and U of M police take a dim view of people who do this blatantly within close
proximity to stadium gates. But you should not encounter any difficulty if you are
discreet
, don't sell your tickets right outside the stadium, or find a buyer before game
day.


Man, business students really do have no ethics! :lol:


Wow that is shocking. I mean, at most sporting events I've been to I have seen police officers right next to scalpers, so I don't think they care one way or the other. Still, a school telling students to do something illegal for financial gain is pretty surprising.

PS. All of you withdraw. Now. Please and thanks. (I wanna get in off the WL)

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:25 pm

doinmybest wrote:
Teoeo wrote:I don't suppose any of you guys are going to withdraw and open up spots for us waitlisters xD


Convince Stanford to accept me off the WL then we'll talk. ;)


=D, Give me your name, I'll give em a call.

User avatar
Joan Hollaway
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Joan Hollaway » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:15 pm

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Eminem-tick ... ist/722998

So i had posted about this concert previously and people showed interest. The tickets just went on sale. Only problem is that we don't know what the orientation schedule looks like for Thursday and Friday so it could be hard to choose a date. I would assume that there aren't events scheduled for 7pm but I'd probably be wrong :lol:

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:http://www.ticketmaster.com/Eminem-tickets/artist/722998

So i had posted about this concert previously and people showed interest. The tickets just went on sale. Only problem is that we don't know what the orientation schedule looks like for Thursday and Friday so it could be hard to choose a date. I would assume that there aren't events scheduled for 7pm but I'd probably be wrong :lol:


I'm up for this if anyone else is. Do any current students remember any evening happenings during orientation? I'd think if they were going to do a social or something it would be Friday night...

I don't really want to miss anything during orientation though...

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby Aeon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:12 pm

blowhard wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:The admissions office told me that section assignments are not totally random.

da plot thickenz


They said during ASW that they balance the sections so they are diverse...

Indeed. Check out the 6/20 post on Dean Z's blog.

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby GMVarun » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:32 pm

blowhard wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:http://www.ticketmaster.com/Eminem-tickets/artist/722998

So i had posted about this concert previously and people showed interest. The tickets just went on sale. Only problem is that we don't know what the orientation schedule looks like for Thursday and Friday so it could be hard to choose a date. I would assume that there aren't events scheduled for 7pm but I'd probably be wrong :lol:


I'm up for this if anyone else is. Do any current students remember any evening happenings during orientation? I'd think if they were going to do a social or something it would be Friday night...

I don't really want to miss anything during orientation though...


I am up for this as well assuming we're not missing anything. I feel like if we went on Thursday night, we'd probably not miss anything.. but from the introduction on the admitted student website, it seems like there will be a lot of stuff during orientation.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby holydonkey » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:12 am

So we're visiting Ann Arbor again this weekend because my wife managed to line up a pretty great job interview. :D (We may be able to live above the poverty line after all, fuck yeah!) While there we're going to check out a few apartments we found online and the harbor house apts people keep recommending. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other apts they'd recommend looking at (already saw the north campus grad housing and wasn't impressed and that crazy expensive brand new apt building downtown) - we'd like a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom with den around $800-1100. Or any ideas for fun things to do while in town? We've already done Zingerman's Deli and walked around downtown, but not much else since ASW was kind of packed. Suggestions for restaurants/theater/music/80s dance nights?
Last edited by holydonkey on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leftofthedial
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby leftofthedial » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:49 am

AHHHHH!!!!!

So I was waiting for my paycheck to hit my account on Friday, thinking to buy my season tickets on Saturday, and this morning I realize I got totally confused and the cutoff was yesterday, not today...am I screwed???

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby holydonkey » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:01 pm

leftofthedial wrote:AHHHHH!!!!!

So I was waiting for my paycheck to hit my account on Friday, thinking to buy my season tickets on Saturday, and this morning I realize I got totally confused and the cutoff was yesterday, not today...am I screwed???
Might as well give it a go. Did you try buying them this morning?

User avatar
thisamericanlife
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby thisamericanlife » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:46 am

holydonkey wrote:So we're visiting Ann Arbor again this weekend because my wife managed to line up a pretty great job interview. :D (We may be able to live above the poverty line after all, fuck yeah!) While there we're going to check out a few apartments we found online and the harbor house apts people keep recommending. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other apts they'd recommend looking at (already saw the north campus grad housing and wasn't impressed and that crazy expensive brand new apt building downtown) - we'd like a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom with den around $800-1100. Or any ideas for fun things to do while in town? We've already done Zingerman's Deli and walked around downtown, but not much else since ASW was kind of packed. Suggestions for restaurants/theater/music/80s dance nights?


If you can go up to 1100 I would recommend Lake Village, which is close to Harbor House. Some of their apartments are so-so and some are really good; I would have lived there but my SO didn't have much luck with jobs so we're living below the poverty line. There are a number of places along Main and Ann Arbor-Saline until each hits Eisenhower, if you like the area.

User avatar
thisamericanlife
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby thisamericanlife » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:48 am

leftofthedial wrote:AHHHHH!!!!!

So I was waiting for my paycheck to hit my account on Friday, thinking to buy my season tickets on Saturday, and this morning I realize I got totally confused and the cutoff was yesterday, not today...am I screwed???


You should call this morning. They are fairly strict on deadlines, at least from my interactions with athletics. I recently received an email that single tickets are or will be on sale shortly, so I would act quickly.

leftofthedial
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby leftofthedial » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 am

Awesome...got them yesterday morning.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby holydonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:03 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:
holydonkey wrote:So we're visiting Ann Arbor again this weekend because my wife managed to line up a pretty great job interview. :D (We may be able to live above the poverty line after all, fuck yeah!) While there we're going to check out a few apartments we found online and the harbor house apts people keep recommending. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other apts they'd recommend looking at (already saw the north campus grad housing and wasn't impressed and that crazy expensive brand new apt building downtown) - we'd like a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom with den around $800-1100. Or any ideas for fun things to do while in town? We've already done Zingerman's Deli and walked around downtown, but not much else since ASW was kind of packed. Suggestions for restaurants/theater/music/80s dance nights?
If you can go up to 1100 I would recommend Lake Village, which is close to Harbor House. Some of their apartments are so-so and some are really good; I would have lived there but my SO didn't have much luck with jobs so we're living below the poverty line. There are a number of places along Main and Ann Arbor-Saline until each hits Eisenhower, if you like the area.
Thanks for the info! We checked out Lake Village/Harbor House, but the only apts left were really expensive (and we really didn't need a 3 bedroom/2 bedroom with loft). If anyone hasn't gotten a place yet, now is time. Places were crazy full. After touring 7 complexes, we actually ended up getting an apt at Woodbury.

After looking at it again, woodbury is pretty nice. But if anyone is looking there, make sure you tour the apartment. The first one we looked at was kind of worn down (and didn't smell too hot), but the second one was brand new with a ton more light and it smelled normal (and they were the same price!). The free shuttle that drops you off at michigan union sold me and it'll be great to be able to walk to the law school when the weather's not bad (only a mile away).

If anyone else is still looking, they still have availability. Ask for Randy if you go - by far one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby tamlyric » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:34 pm

holydonkey wrote: [...] After touring 7 complexes, we actually ended up getting an apt at Woodbury.

After looking at it again, woodbury is pretty nice. But if anyone is looking there, make sure you tour the apartment. The first one we looked at was kind of worn down (and didn't smell too hot), but the second one was brand new with a ton more light and it smelled normal (and they were the same price!). The free shuttle that drops you off at michigan union sold me and it'll be great to be able to walk to the law school when the weather's not bad (only a mile away).

If anyone else is still looking, they still have availability. Ask for Randy if you go - by far one of the nicest guys I've ever met.


+1 to all of this! :D




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests