Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

goodolgil

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm gonna hit up the NYC one.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:07 pm

doinmybest wrote:Lol. So what's going to happen to those of us that get JJ White along with a full fall course load? I think I can guess... we will be totally effed.

More than effed, you'll be skull-effed. He's not as rough as everyone seems to suggest, I'll admit. I actually think he's pretty funny most of the time. But I can imagine those who have been on the receiving end of one of his socratic warpaths feel much differently. I ward that off by raising my hand in class everyday. Anyway, I'm handling the workload a little better than I was last week, but I couldn't fathom doing it with one more reading-heavy course in the mix. Should have applied for summer start!

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Is there a way we can find out not necessarily our section assignments, but at least which classes we will be taking? I am gonna have a tote-ahl freak out in like 2 seconds.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Is there a way we can find out not necessarily our section assignments, but at least which classes we will be taking? I am gonna have a tote-ahl freak out in like 2 seconds.

I can't tell you which section you'll be in. As far as I can tell, section assignments are totally random. But, fall semester courses for fall-entering students are:

Contracts (White-EFGH/Crane-IJ/Radin-KL)
Civ Pro (Friedman-IJKL)
Crim Law (Thomas-EF/Prescott-GH/West-IJKL)
Con Law (Primus-EFGH/Helberstram-MNOP)
Property (Schneider-MN/Krier-OP)
Torts (Horwitz-MNOP)
Legal Practice I + Legal Skills (everyone; a bunch of different profs)

So:

EFGH has Contracts, Crim Law, Con Law, and LP,
IJKL has Contracts, Civ Pro, Crim Law, and LP,
MNOP has Torts, Property, Con Law, and LP.

Sauce: http://web.law.umich.edu/_ClassSchedule ... ?term=1810 (Note: ABCD is summer starters, so ignore it)

Now you all owe me coffee or a burrito when you get to A2. (Oh wait, that was voluntary performance without bargain and receiver awareness. Shit. I can't hold you to that. Contracts fucks your brain.)

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:52 pm

snickersnicker wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Is there a way we can find out not necessarily our section assignments, but at least which classes we will be taking? I am gonna have a tote-ahl freak out in like 2 seconds.

I can't tell you which section you'll be in. As far as I can tell, section assignments are totally random. But, fall semester courses for fall-entering students are:

Civ Pro (Friedman-IJKL)
Torts (Horwitz-MNOP)

So:

Sauce: http://web.law.umich.edu/_ClassSchedule ... ?term=1810 (Note: ABCD is summer starters, so ignore it)

Now you all owe me coffee or a burrito when you get to A2. (Oh wait, that was voluntary performance without bargain and receiver awareness. Shit. I can't hold you to that. Contracts fucks your brain.)

I'll buy you a coffee anyway. :wink: Thanks for that!

waitingforanswers

Postby waitingforanswers » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:59 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:

Civ Pro (Friedman-IJKL)
Torts (Horwitz-MNOP)

So:

I'll buy you a coffee anyway. :wink: Thanks for that!

And that constitutes a promise for benefit received :D

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:06 pm

waitingforanswers wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:I'll buy you a coffee anyway. :wink: Thanks for that!

And that constitutes a promise for benefit received :D

:mrgreen:

Unless, of course, it is reasonable to objectively construe the wink as a reasonably-inferred manifestation of a 'joke' or 'bluff' overriding other outward expressions of intent to contract. I think if I get a diner receipt with lassocrat's signature on the back I'll be in the clear, though.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 am

Bought footbll tickets :mrgreen:

Oh, btw, I was googling around about Michigan football tickets and foudn this on the UMich Business School site

http://www.bus.umich.edu/studentlife/faq.htm

Q: Should I order Michigan football tickets; even if I don't think I'll want any of them?
A: Yes! Although Michigan Stadium seats more than 100,000 people, there is always
tremendous demand for extra football tickets, and your fellow students or other Michigan
fans will gratefully purchase any (or all) of yours if you don't want them. In some cases
(for instance games against Ohio State or Michigan State), you can sell a single student
ticket for more than you paid for all six home game tickets. Note that ticket "scalping"
(reselling tickets for at a price above their face value) is technically illegal
, and that
Ann Arbor and U of M police take a dim view of people who do this blatantly within close
proximity to stadium gates. But you should not encounter any difficulty if you are
discreet
, don't sell your tickets right outside the stadium, or find a buyer before game
day.

Man, business students really do have no ethics! :lol:

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 pm

snickersnicker wrote:

This is very helpful; thank you.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:47 pm

snickersnicker wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Lol. So what's going to happen to those of us that get JJ White along with a full fall course load? I think I can guess... we will be totally effed.

More than effed, you'll be skull-effed. He's not as rough as everyone seems to suggest, I'll admit. I actually think he's pretty funny most of the time. But I can imagine those who have been on the receiving end of one of his socratic warpaths feel much differently. I ward that off by raising my hand in class everyday. Anyway, I'm handling the workload a little better than I was last week, but I couldn't fathom doing it with one more reading-heavy course in the mix. Should have applied for summer start!

Hmm, I have JJ White this Fall and a full load... :cry: (I have my section assignment already because of GI Bill certification...)

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:36 pm

blowhard wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:

(I have my section assignment already because of GI Bill certification...)

Who'd you contact about that? The registrar? Admission's office? I have no problem lying about service and war glory if it means I can get da jump on my competition.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:23 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
blowhard wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:

(I have my section assignment already because of GI Bill certification...)

Who'd you contact about that? The registrar? Admission's office? I have no problem lying about service and war glory if it means I can get da jump on my competition.

The Registrar dean...pretty sure they know if you are a veteran or not. :D

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:45 pm

regents meet tomorrow to finalize tuition.

http://www.regents.umich.edu/meetings/06-10/index.html

thisamericanlife

Postby thisamericanlife » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:47 pm

snickersnicker wrote:

The admissions office told me that section assignments are not totally random.

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:57 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:

da plot thickenz

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:31 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:

da plot thickenz

They said during ASW that they balance the sections so they are diverse...

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:10 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:regents meet tomorrow to finalize tuition.

$23,800 in tuition and fees a semester for nonresidents. Ouch. Cheaper than an MBA, at least.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice I'd changed the URL in my clipboard when making this post. Fixed it.
Last edited by thalassocrat on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm

thalassocrat wrote:

$23,800 in tuition and fees a semester for nonresidents. Ouch. Cheaper than an MBA, at least.

Where did you get this figure? The link goes to another thread. I want to submit my Gradplus application form, but Michigan hasn't officially sent out any info about the tuition increase.

Edit - Nm, saw the Regent's agenda. Just put my application in... it's painful just looking at those loan numbers

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Amelie wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:

Where did you get this figure? The link goes to another thread. I want to submit my Gradplus application form, but Michigan hasn't officially sent out any info about the tuition increase.

Edit - Nm, saw the Regent's agenda. Just put my application in... it's painful just looking at those loan numbers

I submitted mine assuming a 5% increase, so I'm ok with 3% -- but you're completely right. It is painful, especially as I dwindle away my last dollars in Nicaragua... oh well.

edit: Also, has anyone heard anything back about the MAP program? Yes? No?

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 am

I submitted all my loan stuff yesterday. Anyone know how long it takes to show up on Wolverine Access? It says my Stafford loans are unsigned and there's nothing on there about the Plus loans.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:21 pm

goodolgil wrote:I submitted all my loan stuff yesterday. Anyone know how long it takes to show up on Wolverine Access? It says my Stafford loans are unsigned and there's nothing on there about the Plus loans.

I called the other day because I was wondering the same thing, and the woman in the FA office said they don't run it until July. She also said to go ahead and sign the MPN for your Stafford, but wait until everything is in to do the entrance counseling since there's one for both types of loan.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:51 pm

ahh, I already did the entrance counseling. It was pretty retarded. The answer to every question was literally either "true" or "all of the above."

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:39 pm

I know this is a stupid question....

That being said, just wanted to make sure I understand the GradPlus loans correctly. Am I correct in saying that you can use GradPlus loans to borrow up to the full cost of attendance minus Stafford Loans and any Scholarships? If that is the case, where do you find the figure for total cost of attendance for 2010-2011?

I want to take out as much as I can. I have scholarship money and stafford loans. Just trying to figure out how much money to request on the GradPlus form.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:51 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:I know this is a stupid question....

That being said, just wanted to make sure I understand the GradPlus loans correctly. Am I correct in saying that you can use GradPlus loans to borrow up to the full cost of attendance minus Stafford Loans and any Scholarships? If that is the case, where do you find the figure for total cost of attendance for 2010-2011?

I want to take out as much as I can. I have scholarship money and stafford loans. Just trying to figure out how much money to request on the GradPlus form.

If you check out your financial aid documents on WolverineAccess (WolvAcc > Student Business > Fin Aid Award Notices > View/Print), you should find a PDF summarizing all that you've been awarded thus far. Then, below all that, there will be a box with hyperlinked text saying something like "Total Grad Plus/Alternative Award Eligibility" and then a figure. That's the number you want to request in GradPlus loans.

Also, just a heads-up to everyone out there, UM is totally willing to negotiate even need-based aid. I was originally denied need-based non-loan assistance (ridiculous because my family is way poor), but appealed and spoke with Dean Gottshalk and was able to get a significant amount in grants.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:44 pm

snickersnicker wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:I know this is a stupid question....

If you check out your financial aid documents on WolverineAccess (WolvAcc > Student Business > Fin Aid Award Notices > View/Print), you should find a PDF summarizing all that you've been awarded thus far. Then, below all that, there will be a box with hyperlinked text saying something like "Total Grad Plus/Alternative Award Eligibility" and then a figure. That's the number you want to request in GradPlus loans.

Also, just a heads-up to everyone out there, UM is totally willing to negotiate even need-based aid. I was originally denied need-based non-loan assistance (ridiculous because my family is way poor), but appealed and spoke with Dean Gottshalk and was able to get a significant amount in grants.

Did you receive any merit aid? My scholarship letter said my award made me ineligible for need based aid.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”