Michigan Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

byunbee

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Postby byunbee » Mon May 17, 2010 1:43 am

holydonkey wrote:
Geat27 wrote:
tamlyric wrote:There seems to be some scuttlebutt in another thread about OCI being a bloodbath at Michigan this past year. Does this square with what you're seen, heard, read?
Yes. I wasn't there, and this is all just anecdotal, but every 2L I've talked with about it said it was very hard. I know a few good students who got no offers. A lot of 2Ls are working in non-firm jobs this summer because of it.
:| There I was, just about ready to go to sleep...

:| Sitting at work 6500mi away thinking about this.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon May 17, 2010 2:33 am

byunbee wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
Geat27 wrote:
tamlyric wrote:There seems to be some scuttlebutt in another thread about OCI being a bloodbath at Michigan this past year. Does this square with what you're seen, heard, read?
Yes. I wasn't there, and this is all just anecdotal, but every 2L I've talked with about it said it was very hard. I know a few good students who got no offers. A lot of 2Ls are working in non-firm jobs this summer because of it.
:| There I was, just about ready to go to sleep...
:| Sitting at work 6500mi away thinking about this.
Have to keep reminding myself that even though I'd love a high paying gig, as long as I clear 40k I'll still be making more than I do now. :D And if not, LRAP ftw!

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Mon May 17, 2010 2:53 am

holydonkey wrote:Have to keep reminding myself that even though I'd love a high paying gig, as long as I clear 40k I'll still be making more than I do now. :D And if not, LRAP ftw!

I was hoping that it wouldn't have to be an option. But I guess after the succession of jobs I've had after UG, I'll take it.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Mon May 17, 2010 2:55 am

blhoward2 wrote:
def2104 wrote:僕は大学でぜんぜん勉強しなかった、でも今まで一年半ぐらい日本住んでいる。僕の文法はいつもちがおでもペラーペラー好きやで!

Also, on a thread related note, I am kind of jealous I'm not in the LC. I can't wait to move into my apartment though! Is anyone interested in a BBQ during orientation week? Apparently my apartment has a nice backyard, that will be useful for all of 2 months of the school year haha.

I'm up for a BBQ. Where are you living? Helmholtz and I are living in Harbor House

I'm going to live in an apartment about a 5 minute walk from the quad. I was really happy I snatched this place up, I started asking about it back in Feb before I was even sure where I was going. It's a one bedroom with a small study and a nice kitchen and backyard. I have a dog so the LC wasn't an option, but I really wanted the social aspect and proximity to classes of the LC in a place that I could keep my dog. Also, the landlord pays heat and water and the rent's cheap, which is necessary since I'll be on a really tight budget.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 am

e_ticket wrote:
goblue1646 wrote:
goblue1646 wrote:I'm in J25, yay second floor! does anyone know where J is??? :)

aka: is it also filled with cool girls?

I'm not sure if things stay the same year to year, but this past year J was a girls block. Size-wise, J is a mansion. J is one of the biggest blocks, and since it houses so many people, I can't guarantee 100% cool girls. :wink: That said, I knew a lot of coolios in J.

As far as location, J is in the northeast corner. It is the farthest block from classes and the closest to the South U. bars. I think it is also directly above the water heater that services the whole LC, so you don't have to wait long for the showers to heat up. Bonus!

wow thank for all the info! :) Sounds great, am completely pumped to start school!

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Mon May 17, 2010 3:03 am

Anyone staying in H block 3rd floor?

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 am

def2104 wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

Also, on a thread related note, I am kind of jealous I'm not in the LC. I can't wait to move into my apartment though! Is anyone interested in a BBQ during orientation week? Apparently my apartment has a nice backyard, that will be useful for all of 2 months of the school year haha.

I'm up for a BBQ. Where are you living? Helmholtz and I are living in Harbor House

I'm going to live in an apartment about a 5 minute walk from the quad. I was really happy I snatched this place up, I started asking about it back in Feb before I was even sure where I was going. It's a one bedroom with a small study and a nice kitchen and backyard. I have a dog so the LC wasn't an option, but I really wanted the social aspect and proximity to classes of the LC in a place that I could keep my dog. Also, the landlord pays heat and water and the rent's cheap, which is necessary since I'll be on a really tight budget.

Nice! I'm totes up for a BBQ, too. I'll be grilling veggies :D Any tips from anyone on where to look for housing? Michigan's own off-campus housing website seems good. I'm going to try to visit in June and nail down a place to live. I applied for the LC just to have the option and got the lease last week, but I'm with snicker- cooking is such a stress reliever for me, plus I don't think I can handle a hall bath again. Off-campusers might feel a bit left out at first, but by finals, I think I'll be pretty excited not to be surrounded by stressed out law students all the time.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:42 am

L11 over here. Anyone know where the L building is?

JRMjr

Postby JRMjr » Mon May 17, 2010 9:57 am

roundabout wrote:
def2104 wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

lake village of ann arbor complex is awesome

Nice! I'm totes up for a BBQ, too. I'll be grilling veggies :D Any tips from anyone on where to look for housing? Michigan's own off-campus housing website seems good. I'm going to try to visit in June and nail down a place to live. I applied for the LC just to have the option and got the lease last week, but I'm with snicker- cooking is such a stress reliever for me, plus I don't think I can handle a hall bath again. Off-campusers might feel a bit left out at first, but by finals, I think I'll be pretty excited not to be surrounded by stressed out law students all the time.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Mon May 17, 2010 11:15 am

roundabout wrote:
def2104 wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

I found mine through craigslist and via word of mouth from current students. Also, google Ann Arbor Realtors. There were a few decent 1BR apartments for around $750 5 minutes from the quad with utilities. I found mine for $700 a month and landlord pays utilities. You can go with the complesxes too, but they can be more expensive when you add in heat, water, etc. Plus, I really didn't want to take a bus. Walking is ideal for me.

As far as cooking, I love it too, and YESSSS! I'm so excited people are up for a BBQ. I plan on moving to A2 around 8/17 because I'm coming from abroad and need to basically buy everything to furnish the apartment.

Geat27

Postby Geat27 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:26 pm

[/quote]Have to keep reminding myself that even though I'd love a high paying gig, as long as I clear 40k I'll still be making more than I do now. :D And if not, LRAP ftw![/quote]

Wasn't trying to be a doomsayer. It's been hard everywhere, and nothing tells me Michigan is hurting in particular. This is a very unusual economic time. One promising thing is that people had success contacting small firms independently -- the kind of firms that never show up at OCI. The prestige is less, the pay is higher than you would think, and the quality of life is better than BigLaw. And they might appreciate a Michigan student more than other places.

Just come to Michigan with an open mind and committed to work hard and you'll be far better positioned than most people at most law schools. But it is a freaky time.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:27 pm

def2104 wrote:I found mine through craigslist and via word of mouth from current students. Also, google Ann Arbor Realtors. There were a few decent 1BR apartments for around $750 5 minutes from the quad with utilities. I found mine for $700 a month and landlord pays utilities. You can go with the complesxes too, but they can be more expensive when you add in heat, water, etc. Plus, I really didn't want to take a bus. Walking is ideal for me.

As far as cooking, I love it too, and YESSSS! I'm so excited people are up for a BBQ. I plan on moving to A2 around 8/17 because I'm coming from abroad and need to basically buy everything to furnish the apartment.

I'll be there the first of July if anyone else is showing up early. I looked online at criagslist and then visited during the ASW.

mcdad

Postby mcdad » Mon May 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Where is "O"?
A previous post describes A through J across the North side, left to right. The rest are on the East from top to bottom. What is the highest letter?

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Mon May 17, 2010 10:32 pm

mcdad wrote:Where is "O"?
A previous post describes A through J across the North side, left to right. The rest are on the East from top to bottom. What is the highest letter?

If I'm not mistaken, O is at the very end, closest to the law library. I'll check tomorrow and let you know if I'm wrong.

ankit

Postby ankit » Mon May 17, 2010 11:06 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
def2104 wrote:I found mine through craigslist and via word of mouth from current students. Also, google Ann Arbor Realtors. There were a few decent 1BR apartments for around $750 5 minutes from the quad with utilities. I found mine for $700 a month and landlord pays utilities. You can go with the complesxes too, but they can be more expensive when you add in heat, water, etc. Plus, I really didn't want to take a bus. Walking is ideal for me.

I'll be there the first of July if anyone else is showing up early. I looked online at criagslist and then visited during the ASW.

I'll be there around the 10th of July. Found a small 1BR that's a 10 minutes walk from the quad, in a grad-only apartment building. I got this place through one of the common real estate companies in the area (Varsity Management).

For those of you arriving early, what are your plans for the 10-15 days before MAP/Orientation begins?

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Mon May 17, 2010 11:45 pm

ankit wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

I'll be there around the 10th of July. Found a small 1BR that's a 10 minutes walk from the quad, in a grad-only apartment building. I got this place through one of the common real estate companies in the area (Varsity Management).

For those of you arriving early, what are your plans for the 10-15 days before MAP/Orientation begins?

I'll be renting a car and going to IKEA and Walmart to get my place all set up, then probably drinking away the last days of summer.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:51 pm

def2104 wrote:
ankit wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

I'll be renting a car and going to IKEA and Walmart to get my place all set up, then probably drinking away the last days of summer.

I'll have my car if you don't want to rent one. I'll be happy to drive you. It's a four-door Honda Accord so as long as you aren't buying anything too huge. (If you do need to rent a truck...I'll help you move if you need it...) I should be there around July 6th.

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Tue May 18, 2010 1:34 am

blhoward2 wrote:I'll have my car if you don't want to rent one. I'll be happy to drive you. It's a four-door Honda Accord so as long as you aren't buying anything too huge. (If you do need to rent a truck...I'll help you move if you need it...) I should be there around July 6th.

^^^^ Nicest guy (?) ever.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Tue May 18, 2010 2:17 am

Shlonster wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:I'll have my car if you don't want to rent one. I'll be happy to drive you. It's a four-door Honda Accord so as long as you aren't buying anything too huge. (If you do need to rent a truck...I'll help you move if you need it...) I should be there around July 6th.

Wow, I may definitely have to take you up on that. Awesome. I planned on buying a lot of stuff from IKEA, so I may just rent a truck and then put it all together. Furniture assembly party? I'll provide the drinks!

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Tue May 18, 2010 7:10 am

Shlonster wrote:

For reals. I love my classmates already! :D

I've never rented a place in the US from a real estate agent- do you normally have to pay them a fee?

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Tue May 18, 2010 7:18 am

roundabout wrote:
Shlonster wrote:

For reals. I love my classmates already! :D

I've never rented a place in the US from a real estate agent- do you normally have to pay them a fee?

Seriously, the camaraderie at Michigan is unmatched. Thanks more making Michigan the right choice my future classmates!

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Tue May 18, 2010 7:56 am

Sorry to break up da-luv-fest, but do they send confirmation once your transcript has been received? According to USPS tracking, they received mine about 10 days ago, but I have not heard word one. Tanks.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 am

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:Sorry to break up da-luv-fest, but do they send confirmation once your transcript has been received? According to USPS tracking, they received mine about 10 days ago, but I have not heard word one. Tanks.

No, they never sent a confirmation for mine. If you want to make sure they didn't lose it, you can call or email them...

tl

Postby tl » Tue May 18, 2010 9:35 am

tangential886 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
I'm on the opposite side. I wonder if I have a quad view or street view...

Another first floor kid here. I'm A11-1. How do I tell which side that's on/what I have a view of?

MY OLD ROOM! It's nice!

You're facing the South U. side. It gets pretty loud on the Thurs. - Sun. night in the Fall.

But that room is ballin'. Especially with the bathroom.

tl

Postby tl » Tue May 18, 2010 9:36 am

starstruck393 wrote:Can you elaborate?

I actually don't know much about it. Just that there is a one-day MAP program.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”