Michigan Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

bighead715

Bronze

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Post by bighead715 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:19 pm

i sent out an email to every school withdrawing

about half have acknowledged it and removed my file - the other half im still waiting on...

do i have to wait for them to acknowledge before i can deposit or am i ok?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:09 pm

bighead715 wrote:i sent out an email to every school withdrawing

about half have acknowledged it and removed my file - the other half im still waiting on...

do i have to wait for them to acknowledge before i can deposit or am i ok?
Some schools don't send a confirmation, but do update your status on the online checker to "Application Withdrawn" or some variant of that. If a school doesn't respond (or update the status checker) within a couple days, I'd give them a call, and they'll usually quickly update your application then.

Personally, I'm waiting until my withdrawals have been processed before sending in the deposit, just to err on the safe side. The deadline for the ED deposit is January 15, so there's still plenty of time. :)

bowie8285

Bronze

Post by bowie8285 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyers05

New

Post by flyers05 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:05 pm

Yes you're good... I think most people are skeptical when they see they are able to log into the admitted students site. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a single person this year or last who have been able to log into that site without actually being accepted.

bowie8285

Bronze

Post by bowie8285 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Is bowie the only one with good news??

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 pm

If I'm not mistaken, he's in but not attending as of yet. Deciding between Penn and Mich.

hesitantstyle

New

Post by hesitantstyle » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Let's get this thread going again!

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:32 pm

Hey everyone! I'm not sure whether I'll be attending yet, but Mich is definitely one of my top options. Hopefully the ASW can help me decide. Anyway, I just got my Admit package today and I'm pretty excited!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Congrats everyone! I remember when I was sitting at home waiting for my application package to come, it was painful. And made even worse that my mail man delivered it to the WRONG house and I had to wait even longer! Enjoy the moment. If any one has any questions I'd be glad to try and answer them. I'm a 1L summer starter btw.

huarwfn

New

Post by huarwfn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 am

We need to talk about stuff! Let's overtake the UVA thread! Is anyone else going to ASW? What's everyone reading before law school? Favorite color (kool-aide aside)?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:59 am

huarwfn wrote:We need to talk about stuff! Let's overtake the UVA thread! Is anyone else going to ASW? What's everyone reading before law school? Favorite color (kool-aide aside)?
You're right! The UVA thread is longer than this one...at least now we know where the gunners are. :wink:

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make it to the ASW (plus, I'm already quite familiar with Ann Arbor and the U-M campus). In any case, I don't think there's much more that could make me even move excited about attending Michigan!

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:58 pm

what is everyone's preference on housing?

buying a home, renting a home, renting an apartment, lawyers club, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:04 pm

bighead715 wrote:what is everyone's preference on housing?

Probably not buying a place. :wink: I don't have anything set in stone yet, but I'm looking to rent an apartment. Thing is, it's difficult to find a place where you can rent starting in May/June; most leases start in September, although I understand that there are numerous sublets available (I'd still prefer renting my own apartment from the get-go, as it's a bit of a hassle to move in to a sublet and then move out come September).

How about you, Bighead?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Aeon wrote:

Probably not buying a place. :wink: I don't have anything set in stone yet, but I'm looking to rent an apartment. Thing is, it's difficult to find a place where you can rent starting in May/June; most leases start in September, although I understand that there are numerous sublets available (I'd still prefer renting my own apartment from the get-go, as it's a bit of a hassle to move in to a sublet and then move out come September).

How about you, Bighead?
How close to campus do you want to be? The student housing right around campus typically is Sep-Aug, but there are bigger apartment complexes that are nicer and the same price or cheaper a little farther away where you can start a lease whenever...

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:33 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Aeon wrote:

How about you, Bighead?
How close to campus do you want to be? The student housing right around campus typically is Sep-Aug, but there are bigger apartment complexes that are nicer and the same price or cheaper a little farther away where you can start a lease whenever...
Hmm...interesting point, Starstruck. I have, for the most part, been looking at the places more familiar to me closer to campus (the convenience of an easy walk to the Law Quad is appealing), but I don't have a problem with investigating options a little further from Central Campus. Thanks for the heads up. :)

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:42 pm

If you look south of campus by the mall there are great options. Its where I am looking with the soon-to-be wife

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:53 pm

If anyone is interested, there are still four spots at most available at the house I'll be living in this summer. It's a block from the law quad and was completely renovated in 2008. Looking at $375-$450 depending on room size, plus utilities. Shoot me a message on here or on Facebook if it sounds like something in which you might have an interest.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Hey guys! Just got in. I will be a fall starter but can't wait to meet you all. This time last year I never thought i would get into such a ridiculously amazing school. Kinda wished I was a Summer starter but I hear that it is very hard to switch.

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 am

rockchalk86 wrote:Hey guys! Just got in. I will be a fall starter but can't wait to meet you all. This time last year I never thought i would get into such a ridiculously amazing school. Kinda wished I was a Summer starter but I hear that it is very hard to switch.
grats! no harm in trying..

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:48 am

Aeon wrote:

How about you, Bighead?
no idea - id prefer to be as close as possible but the lawyers club dorms dont have kitchens and i will probably end up as a fat goon by the time the first semester is over eating cafeteria food every day...apartment, home renting, home buying -- all possibilities depending on the best deal available, people that want to room with me (Friends that live in the area), etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:52 am

Aeon wrote:

How about you, Bighead?
I know an apt that will be available come mid-may to sublet with the option to re-new the lease if you'd like. Its about a block from the quad. It's from a current summer starter, the lease ends in aug, but you can renew without a problem.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:28 am

Seriously, don't buy! The market's not good enough to sell it again when it's time to graduate.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:13 am

Alexandria wrote:Seriously, don't buy! The market's not good enough to sell it again when it's time to graduate.
Well, that depends. In general that reasoning applies, but not in every case. If you buy close to campus, you're essentially guaranteed to be able to sell it back. At a school like U of M, there will always be a market for those houses, whether it's selling it to a realty company, or a parent who wants the investment for his child who's going there, or w/e. Those properties are really isolated the general housing market, at least when the market is down. I personally wouldn't buy because of the hassle. There's so much that goes into owning a home that you don't have to worry about when you're renting. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to burden yourself with those details when you're already going to be working your ass off for three years. You're not going going to find much that's particularly nice in A2 for a reasonable price, and with the apartment and condo options nearby, I think it'd be a much easier option to just rent...

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:20 am

starstruck393 wrote:
Alexandria wrote:Seriously, don't buy! The market's not good enough to sell it again when it's time to graduate.
Well, that depends. In general that reasoning applies, but not in every case. If you buy close to campus, you're essentially guaranteed to be able to sell it back. At a school like U of M, there will always be a market for those houses, whether it's selling it to a realty company, or a parent who wants the investment for his child who's going there, or w/e. Those properties are really isolated the general housing market, at least when the market is down. I personally wouldn't buy because of the hassle. There's so much that goes into owning a home that you don't have to worry about when you're renting. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to burden yourself with those details when you're already going to be working your ass off for three years. You're not going going to find much that's particularly nice in A2 for a reasonable price, and with the apartment and condo options nearby, I think it'd be a much easier option to just rent...
agree. a2 prices are high, taxes are high, upkeep takes time from studying and enjoying your free time...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”