Michigan Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

goodolgil

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Post by goodolgil » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:03 pm

I think GradPlus lenders exist for another two months or so.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:06 pm

blhoward2 wrote:if I remember right, it says no earlier than June for fall start and NLT 30 days before class starts.
So we can't apply for the loans until June?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:13 pm

holydonkey wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:if I remember right, it says no earlier than June for fall start and NLT 30 days before class starts.
Michigan site wrote:Since credit approvals expire, the earliest you should apply is June 1st unless you are a summer starter in which case you should apply as early as March 1st.
--LinkRemoved--

And the PDF with instructions:
--LinkRemoved--

Edit: And specific gradplus instructions. It looks like the school does everything for you.

--LinkRemoved--

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:21 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
Michigan site wrote:Since credit approvals expire, the earliest you should apply is June 1st unless you are a summer starter in which case you should apply as early as March 1st.
--LinkRemoved--

And the PDF with instructions:
--LinkRemoved--

Edit: And specific gradplus instructions. It looks like the school does everything for you.

--LinkRemoved--
Sweet! You're awesome.

ohmy212

New

Post by ohmy212 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:04 pm

Anybody going to the alumni service day in New York? I just got an email about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shlonster

Bronze

Post by Shlonster » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Michigan is a direct lender so whether or not grad plus lenders exist it doesn't really matter for us - which is a good thing.

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:22 pm

correct. Michigan does all your government backed loans. They take a small cut but it is worth it to not find a lender.

navalspartan

New

Post by navalspartan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 pm

JRM, my wife and I are definitely in for the SO club. I think you know who I am :)

Does anyone else have kids?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:56 pm

If there are any other vets using the Post 9/11 GI Bill in here, the university's veteran coordinator has confirmed that they are going to have an unlimited number of Yellow Ribbon scholarships again this year. (She actually set the Dean proposed this and it wasn't yet signed, but then she said it was a done deal just waiting on formalities.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jd2013

New

Post by jd2013 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:18 pm

did anyone think the construction projects were disruptive during their visit? is anyone concerned about it interfering with the experience?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:21 pm

jd2013 wrote:did anyone think the construction projects were disruptive during their visit? is anyone concerned about it interfering with the experience?
It wasn't that noisy when I was there. They did close a road to install a bridge. I think I remember the dean saying that it will be all interior work by the time we start in the Fall and that all of the major stuff on the old buildings is being done over the summer. I don't think it'll be too disruptive. I heard it was sometimes for the people there now but that was during the major outdoor stuff.

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:17 am

I wish we had more time with the new facilities. As I understand it, they will be finished with construction after the fall semester of 2011. So basically we will have construction during half of our time in law school and will enjoy the new facilities for the other half of our time. Maybe they will finish things early during our first summer and we will have two full years with the new stuff :D .

Oh and I am coming with a SO as well so count me in with the club.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:46 am

I just received my financial aid offer and so I am happy to say I am now 100% certain about Michigan. (btw, to those still in financial aid limbo, feel free to PM me about my successful negotiation (i initially was given nothing and i now have received a decent scholarship); definitely be very respectful and honest and in my experience, the financial aid office will try to help you out to the best of their abilities).

I had a quick question to those who may have already done this: is there a special coversheet or document I need to attach when sending in my final undergraduate transcript? I can't seem to find anything specific on their website. Also where should I tell my school to send this to: the admissions office; the registrar? Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:56 am

GMVarun wrote:I just received my financial aid offer and so I am happy to say I am now 100% certain about Michigan. (btw, to those still in financial aid limbo, feel free to PM me about my successful negotiation (i initially was given nothing and i now have received a decent scholarship); definitely be very respectful and honest and in my experience, the financial aid office will try to help you out to the best of their abilities).

I had a quick question to those who may have already done this: is there a special coversheet or document I need to attach when sending in my final undergraduate transcript? I can't seem to find anything specific on their website. Also where should I tell my school to send this to: the admissions office; the registrar? Thanks!
I sent mine to the admissions office. They should be the ones handling it. As for a cover sheet, I don't think you need one, especially since your school sends it out, not you. Maybe send an email/letter saying it's on its way, though...

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:35 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:I wish we had more time with the new facilities. As I understand it, they will be finished with construction after the fall semester of 2011. So basically we will have construction during half of our time in law school and will enjoy the new facilities for the other half of our time. Maybe they will finish things early during our first summer and we will have two full years with the new stuff :D .

http://www.law.umich.edu/buildingprojec ... eline.aspx

The law school portion should be done sooner than the new academic building. Although I don't see how Jan 2012 will happen for the academic building. All the beams still are not in place. But, I think they plan do double the effort when finals are over.

strawinlemonade

New

Post by strawinlemonade » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 pm

hey, everyone. pulled the trigger today. go wolverines!

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 pm

strawinlemonade wrote:hey, everyone. pulled the trigger today. go wolverines!
go blue, baby! Go blue! Welcome to the family!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Someone asked about the New York event earlier, but is anyone planning on attending the LA Michigan Law Alumni & Friends Service Day?

jasmoon

New

Post by jasmoon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:50 pm

It's official for me. Hello all :)

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:06 pm

jasmoon wrote:It's official for me. Hello all :)
Congrats on making a great decision! :D

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:04 pm

jasmoon wrote:It's official for me. Hello all :)
Yay! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:47 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:I wish we had more time with the new facilities. As I understand it, they will be finished with construction after the fall semester of 2011. So basically we will have construction during half of our time in law school and will enjoy the new facilities for the other half of our time. Maybe they will finish things early during our first summer and we will have two full years with the new stuff :D .

The law school portion should be done sooner than the new academic building. Although I don't see how Jan 2012 will happen for the academic building. All the beams still are not in place. But, I think they plan do double the effort when finals are over.
I really do think it will be Jan 2012... or at least the Dean really, really pushed for it when looking for contractors, according to one of my profs. She said it was that the Dean didn't want any class to experience construction the whole time. So this year's 1L class will get that one semester with the new building.

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:24 am

Alexandria wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:

I really do think it will be Jan 2012... or at least the Dean really, really pushed for it when looking for contractors, according to one of my profs. She said it was that the Dean didn't want any class to experience construction the whole time. So this year's 1L class will get that one semester with the new building.
I hope it is done by 2012. I'd like at least a year in the new building. It will be interesting to see how much gets done over the summer before students return.

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:26 am

Okay, it's totes offish- sent in my deposit, withdrew everywhere else, and getting psyched for Ann Arbor in the fall! I know this is discussed elsewhere in TLS, but are any fall starters doing any prep over the summer? I'm planning on spending 99% of my time wrapping up three years at a great job, traveling, resting my brain, etc., but just curious what I should do with that other 1%.

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:14 am

roundabout wrote:Okay, it's totes offish- sent in my deposit, withdrew everywhere else, and getting psyched for Ann Arbor in the fall! I know this is discussed elsewhere in TLS, but are any fall starters doing any prep over the summer? I'm planning on spending 99% of my time wrapping up three years at a great job, traveling, resting my brain, etc., but just curious what I should do with that other 1%.
go to the beach, study up on Michigan Football

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”