Michigan Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

snickersnicker

Bronze

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Post by snickersnicker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 am

I applied early decision, so I wasn't eligible for merit aid. But yeah, if I'm not mistaken, they won't give need- and merit-based aid jointly, or at least not once you've received a certain amount of merit aid. You may want to contact them and see how much you could qualify for in need-based aid if you chose to forgo the merit aid (though I'm not sure if they even allow this).

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:00 am

I don't suppose any of you guys are going to withdraw and open up spots for us waitlisters xD

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:45 am

snickersnicker wrote:I applied early decision, so I wasn't eligible for merit aid. But yeah, if I'm not mistaken, they won't give need- and merit-based aid jointly, or at least not once you've received a certain amount of merit aid. You may want to contact them and see how much you could qualify for in need-based aid if you chose to forgo the merit aid (though I'm not sure if they even allow this).
It must have been because of your LSAT/GPA, because I was told ED, WL->A and deferred students are all considered for merit aid the same as regular RD applicants

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 am

starstruck393 wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:I applied early decision, so I wasn't eligible for merit aid. But yeah, if I'm not mistaken, they won't give need- and merit-based aid jointly, or at least not once you've received a certain amount of merit aid. You may want to contact them and see how much you could qualify for in need-based aid if you chose to forgo the merit aid (though I'm not sure if they even allow this).
It must have been because of your LSAT/GPA, because I was told ED, WL->A and deferred students are all considered for merit aid the same as regular RD applicants
Looks like you're right. I think I read the first sentence of this bit when applying and neglected to read the rest:

"Students for whom financial aid considerations are paramount are not well suited for this program, since financial aid decisions are not made until later in the season. (Early Decision admitted students are, however, eligible for our merit- and need-based grants on the same terms as every other admitted student.)"

Either way, yeah, my LSAT score would not have gotten me any merit aid. Need-based is fine, though; money is money.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:02 pm

As an aside, I would strongly encourage any and everyone to take out GradPlus loans. It's sad to say, but the large majority of you will not be getting jobs that will pay off your loans. The government/public interest loan forgiveness program will be your savior.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:48 am

tl wrote:As an aside, I would strongly encourage any and everyone to take out GradPlus loans. It's sad to say, but the large majority of you will not be getting jobs that will pay off your loans. The government/public interest loan forgiveness program will be your savior.
I'm confused. What would people who need to take out loans beyond Stafford to pay for school be taking out besides PLUS loans?

Also, anyone know if anything about PLUS loans show up on Wolverine Access? Everything else has processed in the last few days except for that. Just wonder if I should look out for that.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:15 pm

goodolgil wrote:
tl wrote:As an aside, I would strongly encourage any and everyone to take out GradPlus loans. It's sad to say, but the large majority of you will not be getting jobs that will pay off your loans. The government/public interest loan forgiveness program will be your savior.
I'm confused. What would people who need to take out loans beyond Stafford to pay for school be taking out besides PLUS loans?

Also, anyone know if anything about PLUS loans show up on Wolverine Access? Everything else has processed in the last few days except for that. Just wonder if I should look out for that.
I think some people might at least consider private loans, just because the interest rates are currently lower if you have great credit. For your second question, when I called the other day the woman on the phone in the FA office said they weren't even processing GradPLUS applications for fall students until July because of the 90 day limit on the credit check. It should show up after they process it.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Hasn't the government pretty much taken over loans completely?

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:39 pm

goodolgil wrote:Hasn't the government pretty much taken over loans completely?
Only the ones that were originally federal loans that could be offered through a financial institution (Stafford, GradPLUs, etc). There are still options out there for private educational loans that aren't financed by the government and never were.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Gotcha

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:01 am

Teoeo wrote:I don't suppose any of you guys are going to withdraw and open up spots for us waitlisters xD
Convince Stanford to accept me off the WL then we'll talk. ;)

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:33 pm

goodolgil wrote:Bought footbll tickets :mrgreen:

Oh, btw, I was googling around about Michigan football tickets and foudn this on the UMich Business School site

http://www.bus.umich.edu/studentlife/faq.htm
Q: Should I order Michigan football tickets; even if I don't think I'll want any of them?
A: Yes! Although Michigan Stadium seats more than 100,000 people, there is always
tremendous demand for extra football tickets, and your fellow students or other Michigan
fans will gratefully purchase any (or all) of yours if you don't want them. In some cases
(for instance games against Ohio State or Michigan State), you can sell a single student
ticket for more than you paid for all six home game tickets. Note that ticket "scalping"
(reselling tickets for at a price above their face value) is technically illegal
, and that
Ann Arbor and U of M police take a dim view of people who do this blatantly within close
proximity to stadium gates. But you should not encounter any difficulty if you are
discreet
, don't sell your tickets right outside the stadium, or find a buyer before game
day.
Man, business students really do have no ethics! :lol:
Wow that is shocking. I mean, at most sporting events I've been to I have seen police officers right next to scalpers, so I don't think they care one way or the other. Still, a school telling students to do something illegal for financial gain is pretty surprising.

PS. All of you withdraw. Now. Please and thanks. (I wanna get in off the WL)

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:25 pm

doinmybest wrote:
Teoeo wrote:I don't suppose any of you guys are going to withdraw and open up spots for us waitlisters xD
Convince Stanford to accept me off the WL then we'll talk. ;)
=D, Give me your name, I'll give em a call.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:15 pm

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Eminem-tick ... ist/722998

So i had posted about this concert previously and people showed interest. The tickets just went on sale. Only problem is that we don't know what the orientation schedule looks like for Thursday and Friday so it could be hard to choose a date. I would assume that there aren't events scheduled for 7pm but I'd probably be wrong :lol:

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:http://www.ticketmaster.com/Eminem-tick ... ist/722998

So i had posted about this concert previously and people showed interest. The tickets just went on sale. Only problem is that we don't know what the orientation schedule looks like for Thursday and Friday so it could be hard to choose a date. I would assume that there aren't events scheduled for 7pm but I'd probably be wrong :lol:
I'm up for this if anyone else is. Do any current students remember any evening happenings during orientation? I'd think if they were going to do a social or something it would be Friday night...

I don't really want to miss anything during orientation though...

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:12 pm

blowhard wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:The admissions office told me that section assignments are not totally random.
da plot thickenz
They said during ASW that they balance the sections so they are diverse...
Indeed. Check out the 6/20 post on Dean Z's blog.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:32 pm

blowhard wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:http://www.ticketmaster.com/Eminem-tick ... ist/722998

I'm up for this if anyone else is. Do any current students remember any evening happenings during orientation? I'd think if they were going to do a social or something it would be Friday night...

I don't really want to miss anything during orientation though...
I am up for this as well assuming we're not missing anything. I feel like if we went on Thursday night, we'd probably not miss anything.. but from the introduction on the admitted student website, it seems like there will be a lot of stuff during orientation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:12 am

So we're visiting Ann Arbor again this weekend because my wife managed to line up a pretty great job interview. :D (We may be able to live above the poverty line after all, fuck yeah!) While there we're going to check out a few apartments we found online and the harbor house apts people keep recommending. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other apts they'd recommend looking at (already saw the north campus grad housing and wasn't impressed and that crazy expensive brand new apt building downtown) - we'd like a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom with den around $800-1100. Or any ideas for fun things to do while in town? We've already done Zingerman's Deli and walked around downtown, but not much else since ASW was kind of packed. Suggestions for restaurants/theater/music/80s dance nights?
Last edited by holydonkey on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leftofthedial

New

Post by leftofthedial » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:49 am

AHHHHH!!!!!

So I was waiting for my paycheck to hit my account on Friday, thinking to buy my season tickets on Saturday, and this morning I realize I got totally confused and the cutoff was yesterday, not today...am I screwed???

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:01 pm

leftofthedial wrote:AHHHHH!!!!!

So I was waiting for my paycheck to hit my account on Friday, thinking to buy my season tickets on Saturday, and this morning I realize I got totally confused and the cutoff was yesterday, not today...am I screwed???
Might as well give it a go. Did you try buying them this morning?

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:46 am

holydonkey wrote:So we're visiting Ann Arbor again this weekend because my wife managed to line up a pretty great job interview. :D (We may be able to live above the poverty line after all, fuck yeah!) While there we're going to check out a few apartments we found online and the harbor house apts people keep recommending. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other apts they'd recommend looking at (already saw the north campus grad housing and wasn't impressed and that crazy expensive brand new apt building downtown) - we'd like a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom with den around $800-1100. Or any ideas for fun things to do while in town? We've already done Zingerman's Deli and walked around downtown, but not much else since ASW was kind of packed. Suggestions for restaurants/theater/music/80s dance nights?
If you can go up to 1100 I would recommend Lake Village, which is close to Harbor House. Some of their apartments are so-so and some are really good; I would have lived there but my SO didn't have much luck with jobs so we're living below the poverty line. There are a number of places along Main and Ann Arbor-Saline until each hits Eisenhower, if you like the area.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:48 am

leftofthedial wrote:AHHHHH!!!!!

You should call this morning. They are fairly strict on deadlines, at least from my interactions with athletics. I recently received an email that single tickets are or will be on sale shortly, so I would act quickly.

leftofthedial

New

Post by leftofthedial » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 am

Awesome...got them yesterday morning.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:03 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:
holydonkey wrote:So we're visiting Ann Arbor again this weekend because my wife managed to line up a pretty great job interview. :D (We may be able to live above the poverty line after all, fuck yeah!) While there we're going to check out a few apartments we found online and the harbor house apts people keep recommending. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other apts they'd recommend looking at (already saw the north campus grad housing and wasn't impressed and that crazy expensive brand new apt building downtown) - we'd like a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom with den around $800-1100. Or any ideas for fun things to do while in town? We've already done Zingerman's Deli and walked around downtown, but not much else since ASW was kind of packed. Suggestions for restaurants/theater/music/80s dance nights?
If you can go up to 1100 I would recommend Lake Village, which is close to Harbor House. Some of their apartments are so-so and some are really good; I would have lived there but my SO didn't have much luck with jobs so we're living below the poverty line. There are a number of places along Main and Ann Arbor-Saline until each hits Eisenhower, if you like the area.
Thanks for the info! We checked out Lake Village/Harbor House, but the only apts left were really expensive (and we really didn't need a 3 bedroom/2 bedroom with loft). If anyone hasn't gotten a place yet, now is time. Places were crazy full. After touring 7 complexes, we actually ended up getting an apt at Woodbury.

After looking at it again, woodbury is pretty nice. But if anyone is looking there, make sure you tour the apartment. The first one we looked at was kind of worn down (and didn't smell too hot), but the second one was brand new with a ton more light and it smelled normal (and they were the same price!). The free shuttle that drops you off at michigan union sold me and it'll be great to be able to walk to the law school when the weather's not bad (only a mile away).

If anyone else is still looking, they still have availability. Ask for Randy if you go - by far one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:34 pm

holydonkey wrote: [...] After touring 7 complexes, we actually ended up getting an apt at Woodbury.

After looking at it again, woodbury is pretty nice. But if anyone is looking there, make sure you tour the apartment. The first one we looked at was kind of worn down (and didn't smell too hot), but the second one was brand new with a ton more light and it smelled normal (and they were the same price!). The free shuttle that drops you off at michigan union sold me and it'll be great to be able to walk to the law school when the weather's not bad (only a mile away).

If anyone else is still looking, they still have availability. Ask for Randy if you go - by far one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
+1 to all of this! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”