Michigan Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

goodolgil

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Post by goodolgil » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:54 am

OK, so I've done 1) that form (just now) 2) the entrance counseling on the direct loans site 3)the MPN forms on the direct loans site 4)the plus application/credit check on the student loan site.

Is there anything else I need to do for PLUS loans? Will Michigan send confirmation of that form?

EDIT: Yeah, I guess people who get off of waitlists late have to do this stuff super quick.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:59 am

goodolgil wrote:OK, so I've done 1) that form (just now) 2) the entrance counseling on the direct loans site 3)the MPN forms on the direct loans site 4)the plus application/credit check on the student loan site.

Is there anything else I need to do for PLUS loans? Will Michigan send confirmation of that form?

EDIT: Yeah, I guess people who get off of waitlists late have to do this stuff super quick.
You may want to shoot the financial aid office a quick e-mail telling them you originally filled out the form on the .gov site. They may need to clear that out or something so it doesn't look like you are getting two gradplus loans.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:11 am

Yeah, I e-mailed them

Thanks guys.

leftofthedial

New

Post by leftofthedial » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 pm

goodolgil wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:One more question about loans.

I just finished signing the MPN for federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans on the federal student aid site. There is a place on there to apply/request PLUS loans. We don't need to go through the federal website for PLUS loans correct? I assumed that all we needed to fill out for GradPLUS was the request form through the Financial Aid office.

Anything I am missing here?
http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/financial/applyingaid/Pages/finaid-1l.aspx wrote:If you need to borrow a Grad PLUS or private loan, a separate application is required. A sample list of lenders along with application instructions is available on our loan comparison chart/FAQ [PDF]. Since credit approvals expire, the earliest you should apply is June 1st unless you are a summer starter in which case you should apply as early as March 1st. If you borrow a Grad PLUS loan, please be sure to complete the school's Grad PLUS loan application, not the one on the StudentLoans.gov website.
--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--
Shit! I didn't even know that form even existed. I just filled out the forms and did the credit check on the studentloan.gov website--I didn't know I had to do it through Michigan's website. I've never taken out loans before so this is all new to me. I just filled it out now; I hope it isn't too late now?
They told me to have it finished by the end of the month and there shouldn't be any issue.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 pm

thisamericanlife wrote:blowhard or anyone else, I'm in AA and I would like to start meeting people. Let me know if anyone gets together. I"m a fall starter.
Want to do lunch or dinner or something sometime? I'm open pretty much any day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 am

goodolgil wrote:OK, so I've done 1) that form (just now) 2) the entrance counseling on the direct loans site 3)the MPN forms on the direct loans site 4)the plus application/credit check on the student loan site.

Sorry if I'm just getting confused (why did they let me into this school again?), but what is the application/credit check on the .gov student loan site? I followed this list and don't see that on there:
--LinkRemoved--

Incidentally I just found this slightly different checklist:
--LinkRemoved--
I haven't submitted my tax return yet- do we need to do that?

I am going to be drinking so much coffee in September to dispel summerbrain. . .

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:34 am

roundabout wrote:

Sorry if I'm just getting confused (why did they let me into this school again?), but what is the application/credit check on the .gov student loan site? I followed this list and don't see that on there:
--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

I am going to be drinking so much coffee in September to dispel summerbrain. . .
You must do FAFSA and MPN on the federal site. You must fill out a gradplus application with Michigan...not the one on the federal site as Michigan is a direct lender and processes their own paperwork. You must file your tax return for FAFSA...or estimate the amounts. If you estimate, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to amend in the end.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 pm

roundabout wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

You only need to submit your tax return to Michigan if you are receiving need based grants. If all you have are loans and/or scholarships, you don't need to worry about that.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:41 pm

I wonder, does anyone know about when we can expect disbursement, especially for direct deposit? They say the earliest is the Monday before classes start, but at least at my UG they always direct deposited the money a day or two before they actually said they would. Trying to decide what I'm going to do about books.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:59 pm

thalassocrat wrote:I wonder, does anyone know about when we can expect disbursement, especially for direct deposit? They say the earliest is the Monday before classes start, but at least at my UG they always direct deposited the money a day or two before they actually said they would. Trying to decide what I'm going to do about books.
I just went back and checked my account from last fall - our refunds were deposited on the Thursday before classes started (though classes started on the Monday before labor day last year), and most people had their funds deposited on Friday or Saturday depending on your bank, if i recall. The weekend will be plenty of time to finish your first day reading assignments.

If you are going to buy books from the bookstore, I'd suggest just putting it on a credit card and then paying the balance off when you get your refund.

I don't know if this has been mentioned by any other current students, but there will be a lot of students selling used casebooks and supplements. This is often done through lawopen, our law school listserv, which you guys probably won't be added to in time to take advantage of it for purchasing books (last year we all got added the first week of class). However, I'd suggest talking to your MAP or orientation leaders, or any other current students you happen to meet before classes begin. They will probably be looking to sell their books, or will be able to either a) talk to their friends who had your professors or b) post on lawopen on your behalf. Most casebooks go for around $30-$50 (maybe more if it's traditionally a more expensive book or has no highlighting or writing), and supplements usually range from $10-25 depending on type and quality.

Hope that helps :)

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:11 pm

itzjulz wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:I wonder, does anyone know about when we can expect disbursement, especially for direct deposit? They say the earliest is the Monday before classes start, but at least at my UG they always direct deposited the money a day or two before they actually said they would. Trying to decide what I'm going to do about books.
I just went back and checked my account from last fall - our refunds were deposited on the Thursday before classes started (though classes started on the Monday before labor day last year), and most people had their funds deposited on Friday or Saturday depending on your bank, if i recall. The weekend will be plenty of time to finish your first day reading assignments.

If you are going to buy books from the bookstore, I'd suggest just putting it on a credit card and then paying the balance off when you get your refund.

I don't know if this has been mentioned by any other current students, but there will be a lot of students selling used casebooks and supplements. This is often done through lawopen, our law school listserv, which you guys probably won't be added to in time to take advantage of it for purchasing books (last year we all got added the first week of class). However, I'd suggest talking to your MAP or orientation leaders, or any other current students you happen to meet before classes begin. They will probably be looking to sell their books, or will be able to either a) talk to their friends who had your professors or b) post on lawopen on your behalf. Most casebooks go for around $30-$50 (maybe more if it's traditionally a more expensive book or has no highlighting or writing), and supplements usually range from $10-25 depending on type and quality.

Hope that helps :)
Ah cool, thanks. :)

leftofthedial

New

Post by leftofthedial » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:46 am

I saw this mentioned about 20 pages back, but not much response, so I'm going to give it another go. Anyone have feelings one way or another on the university health care plan?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:50 am

leftofthedial wrote:I saw this mentioned about 20 pages back, but not much response, so I'm going to give it another go. Anyone have feelings one way or another on the university health care plan?
It's expensive but may make sense if you have any current health issues. You can use the university's clinic which does everything up to x-rays and physical therapy for free or almost free. I chose to enroll in Blue Cross's Young Adult plan which is only $50 a month and only covers major medical/hospitalization. I'd rather eat a few doctors visits out of pocket than pay $200-250 a month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:46 am

blowhard wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote:blowhard or anyone else, I'm in AA and I would like to start meeting people. Let me know if anyone gets together. I"m a fall starter.
Want to do lunch or dinner or something sometime? I'm open pretty much any day.
Ya lets do dinner soon. I'll pm you my info.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:23 pm

I was admitted to Stanford off of the waitlist earlier this week, and I just sent my withdrawal notice to Dean Z and the admissions office. I was really looking forward to coming to Ann Arbor, and I'm definitely a bit sad that I won't be joining you guys there.

But if anybody is looking for season football tickets I'm looking to sell mine. PM me if interested.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Is anyone in AA interested in buying three tickets to the Detroit Tigers game this Saturday (Aug 7) at 7 pm? I have three tickets for the first-baseline upper box (Sec 323 Row 12 Seat 4-6) that I cannot use now. My parents were supposed to be coming into town but my step-dad fell off a 15' ladder today. If they do make it, he won't be able to walk for the game. Asking $75. I paid $95 with the fees,

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:19 am

Amelie wrote:I was admitted to Stanford off of the waitlist earlier this week, and I just sent my withdrawal notice to Dean Z and the admissions office. I was really looking forward to coming to Ann Arbor, and I'm definitely a bit sad that I won't be joining you guys there.

But if anybody is looking for season football tickets I'm looking to sell mine. PM me if interested.
Have you gotten yours yet? I'm not sure how it works for students that order them, and then don't end up matriculating...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks for financial aid answers!

Doing my exit interview at work today- can't believe it's almost time! What's everyone doing in the last days of summer/freedom?

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:00 pm

roundabout wrote:Thanks for financial aid answers!

Doing my exit interview at work today- can't believe it's almost time! What's everyone doing in the last days of summer/freedom?
Pool, Tennis and spending time with the people I won't see hardly ever once LS starts.

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:27 pm

my grad plus loans are now populated. at least I know the money waits for disbursement.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:35 pm

Anyone know how you print your loan statement in a realtor friendly way? I need to show proof of the loans for the apartment income requirement and although they've been added in wolverine access, I know I can't just give the property manager a screenshot. Anyone else run into this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:39 pm

holydonkey wrote:Anyone know how you print your loan statement in a realtor friendly way? I need to show proof of the loans for the apartment income requirement and although they've been added in wolverine access, I know I can't just give the property manager a screenshot. Anyone else run into this?
I ran into this at Woodbury. On Wolverine Access there is a letter from financial aid that you can download that shows all the aid you qualified for. I attached the document in an e-mail to the realtor and it satisfied their requirements.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:43 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Anyone know how you print your loan statement in a realtor friendly way? I need to show proof of the loans for the apartment income requirement and although they've been added in wolverine access, I know I can't just give the property manager a screenshot. Anyone else run into this?
I ran into this at Woodbury. On Wolverine Access there is a letter from financial aid that you can download that shows all the aid you qualified for. I attached the document in an e-mail to the realtor and it satisfied their requirements.
Awesome, thanks! Especially useful because I'm talking about Woodbury. :)

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:44 pm

in wolverine access-> financial aid information-> awards-> award notices should list your award notice in a pdf. A few apartments told me this notice is sufficient.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:45 pm

holydonkey wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:
Awesome, thanks! Especially useful because I'm talking about Woodbury. :)
Yeah, I did the same thing and both places I've lived were cool with that fin aid letter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”