Michigan Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

snickersnicker

Bronze

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Post by snickersnicker » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:50 pm

If anyone is looking for a house instead of an apartment, my fall roommate and I just passed on this one for a two-bedroom because we couldn't find a third roommate. It's a steal, and in a super quiet and nice grad student/family neighborhood two blocks from Main Street: --LinkRemoved--. Definitely one of the nicest and most well-kept student houses I've come across in my time in A2. About an 18 minute walk from campus, but shorter with a bus.

If anyone else is looking for houses or lofts, let me know. I've spent the last two months scouring Craigslist and realty sites looking for places, and have list from 2br to 6br of cheap-yet-well-kept places, which are uncommon here.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:16 am

I'm a rising 2L, but I just thought I'd jump in here.. I *think* my roommate from this past year might still be looking for a roommate in our 3 bedroom townhouse at Woodbury. My other roommate and I are both moving to different apartments that are closer to campus. If there is anyone still looking for a place, especially if you were already interested in Woodbury, PM me and I can put you in touch with her.

I can also answer any questions about Woodbury, the law school itself, and the Ann Arbor/Detroit area :)

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:36 am

I reserved an apartment at Woodbury and I wasn't able to tour it beforehand. I'll find out for myself shortly, I guess, but does anyone know if the three floor buildings are newer/nicer than the two floor buildings?

altoidz

New

Post by altoidz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:10 am

django? django!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:49 am

Reinhardt wrote:I reserved an apartment at Woodbury and I wasn't able to tour it beforehand. I'll find out for myself shortly, I guess, but does anyone know if the three floor buildings are newer/nicer than the two floor buildings?
Not sure about 3 floor vs. 2 floor, but from what we saw garden level apartments weren't as nice as those on the first and second floor and buildings further back in Woodbury were nicer than those on the main road (by CVS/Kroger). Also - buildings designated pet-friendly seemed a little more worn down. If you're getting a 2 bedroom, apts with the extra half-bath seemed nicer than the ones with just the vanity. There is an extra upgrade you can pay for in any apartment that basically gives you an installed microwave (so more counter space), some nicer tiling, and newer light fixtures. The upgrade is $40 a month, but seemed worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 am

itzjulz wrote:I'm a rising 2L, but I just thought I'd jump in here.. I *think* my roommate from this past year might still be looking for a roommate in our 3 bedroom townhouse at Woodbury. My other roommate and I are both moving to different apartments that are closer to campus. If there is anyone still looking for a place, especially if you were already interested in Woodbury, PM me and I can put you in touch with her.

I can also answer any questions about Woodbury, the law school itself, and the Ann Arbor/Detroit area :)
Thx for the offer! The gym at woodbury seems pretty small, is it tough to get on the treadmill? The guy that showed us around said sometimes it can be tough to get covered parking for the winter if you don't reserve it starting in Sept/Oct. Is that right?
Last edited by holydonkey on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

washingtonian

New

Post by washingtonian » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:11 am

has anyone heard anything about MAP? i am trying to figure out my move date, but haven't heard yet if i have gotten in.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:21 pm

From what I understand the upgrade to the apartments is only to get the built-in microwave and new closet doors. When I inquired about the upgrade they said they could do it to any apartment for $40 extra a month. If it meant nicer tile I would probably go for it, but I don't think it does.

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:21 pm

washingtonian wrote:has anyone heard anything about MAP? i am trying to figure out my move date, but haven't heard yet if i have gotten in.
The form says that we will hear no later than July 17.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Reinhardt wrote:I reserved an apartment at Woodbury and I wasn't able to tour it beforehand. I'll find out for myself shortly, I guess, but does anyone know if the three floor buildings are newer/nicer than the two floor buildings?
There is a difference for the storage. The 2 floor have larger storages. I know they built the buildings in stages, but I don't know if the 2 or 3 level are newer.

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:43 am

holydonkey wrote:
itzjulz wrote:I'm a rising 2L, but I just thought I'd jump in here.. I *think* my roommate from this past year might still be looking for a roommate in our 3 bedroom townhouse at Woodbury. My other roommate and I are both moving to different apartments that are closer to campus. If there is anyone still looking for a place, especially if you were already interested in Woodbury, PM me and I can put you in touch with her.

Thx for the offer! The gym at woodbury seems pretty small, is it tough to get on the treadmill? The guy that showed us around said sometimes it can be tough to get covered parking for the winter if you don't reserve it starting in Sept/Oct. Is that right?
I think parking availability depends on where your apartment is. We were in a townhouse near the back and there seemed to be plenty of open carport spots, but I've noticed that closer to the apartment buildings, parking seemed a little more scarce. I didn't get a carport spot, and I managed fine (there were a few days I had to dig my car out of the snow, though). I think at the time they were requiring a 6 month commitment to a carport -- I'm not sure if that's still true.

Re: the gym at woodbury: it can be tough if you go during I guess what would be "prime time" (probably anywhere between 5 and 9pm, depending on the day. If you go early in the morning or late at night, you should have no problem.

Also, speaking of gym-related news, Dean Caminker just sent out an e-mail today letting us know that we will actually be eligible to use the fancy gym at the b-school (--LinkRemoved--) for $150 a semester this upcoming year. The IM building and CCRB are a bit of a trek if you're just trying to go work out between classes, and can both be a) grubby and b) packed with undergrads. The b-school gym is brand new, super close to the law school, and has showers, towel service, lockers, etc.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:07 pm

$150 a semester is kinda steep when the other gyms are free. Plus, that comes out to basically 50 bucks a month, which means we're hardly getting any discount compared to a commercial gym.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Ehhh, the gyms at UM are pretty awful. Incredibly crowded during the regular year, too. $37.50/mo. for a seriously nice gym right across the street from all your classes isn't that bad when you consider how awful the weight room at the CCRB is, or how crowded the IMSB gets.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Well, you'd definitely know better than me what the normal gyms are like. I'll have to look into it.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:50 pm

Really all depends on where you'll be living and how often you go to the gym. I live half a block from the law school and kitty-corner from the business school, so it would be super convenient for me. But, the IMSB is only three blocks away, during the summer it's not crowded, and I only go twice a week anyway, so spending the $150 doesn't make sense for me. If you're a gym rat and want to go straight from class to the gym, it's worth it; if not, probably don't bother.

Geat27

New

Post by Geat27 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:19 pm

The business school gym might be a good thing, but the campus gyms aren't that bad. I worked out in the CCRB a lot last year. It takes a 15 minute walk, and yeah, once in a while you have to wait for a machine, but it's really fine.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:18 pm

Driving out to A2 tomorrow to setup my apartment!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:17 pm

blowhard wrote:Driving out to A2 tomorrow to setup my apartment!
Wish I were doing the same. I haven't even found an apt yet :(

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:06 pm

blowhard wrote:Driving out to A2 tomorrow to setup my apartment!
Woohoo! :D

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Anybody having issues with income verification at Woodbury? I was asked to provide income verification a couple months ago when we sent in our deposit. All I have is proof of the Stafford and GradPlus Loans. My wife will be working once we get to AA (hopefully) but doesn't have anything yet. What is everybody else sending for income verification?

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:40 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KSU 09

New

Post by KSU 09 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Does anyone know anything about some of the mckinley apts in Ypsi other than that they are kind of far away. I visited Aspen Chase and it seemed nice, but its reviews on the internet are awful and make the place sound dangerous.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:56 pm

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:57 pm

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:57 pm

PKSebben wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:Anybody having issues with income verification at Woodbury? I was asked to provide income verification a couple months ago when we sent in our deposit. All I have is proof of the Stafford and GradPlus Loans. My wife will be working once we get to AA (hopefully) but doesn't have anything yet. What is everybody else sending for income verification?
When I lived in Woodbury prior to us finding a house, we used our student loan papers and it was totally fine.
Just to add on to this - we asked about this as well and were told the income requirement was roughly 40-45k and that your loans can count towards this amount. So as long as you will be taking out 40-45k+ for school + living, you should meet the income requirement without your wife needing to provide proof of income.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”