Michigan Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

starstruck393

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:59 am

snickersnicker wrote:Hope those of you in town for this week's ASW enjoy it. Ann Arbor is a pretty great little city. Is anyone coming out for the 25th-27th?

Quick financial aid question: Has anyone succeeded in getting need-based aid from UM? My FAFSA EFC is zero, I'm an independent student, and my parents aren't financing my education whatsoever. I was originally rejected for need-based aid, but wrote an email to the financial aid dean explaining my history and present situation, and she agreed to consider me for need-based aid. I filled out the NeedAccess forms and have submitted my FAFSA and all that, but the financial aid communications page still says I have nothing coming. I'm pretty surprised, considering I grew up really poor, have no substantial source of income, and received Pell Grants and SEOGs throughout undergrad.

Also, I've still got a couple rooms open in my house a block from the law quad for this summer, going for $350-450. PM if you're interested!
I'll be there the second weekend; can't wait!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 am

Wishing all of the First Preview Weekend-ers lots of fun! :mrgreen:

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:59 am

just as a follow-up here to the housing questions, my fiance and I saw 13 places this weekend (all apt complexes, no sublets) and a few bullets are below:
-arbor landings (backs up the the golf course tailgating area, right near grocery store, good location, 95% occupied by referrers or referrals) is a really nice complex, very helpful management, Ann Arbor AND Campus buses right outside and easy bike ride to law quad. Apparently this place is always at like 97% of capacity because people snap up any open apartments/the place is in high demand and is filled with lots of grad students but still very quiet. Only 1 year leases
-Lake Village of Ann Arbor (20 min bus ride to campus but nice newer phase apts, neighborhoody area, very nice leasing office) was another of our top choices. close to 94 if anyone has a commuting significant other, easy bike ride to downtown (straight down one road.) only 1 year leases
-We will be living at one of the above two in a 2 bdrm, 2 bathroom including a garage space that covers and can be closed/locked. Its under 1200 a month and we didnt see anything where you'd really need to go close to being over 1200 per month.
-woodbury gardens was also nice (great location and a little cheaper but not quite as nice as the first two) and would definitely have been in the running if there had been more focus on cost over long term satisfaction with the place/floorplans. can do multi year leases
-hidden valley club and The Ponds at Georgetown, in our opinion, were the least well-kept of any of those that we saw. Wasn't even in consideration for us but this is a personal opinion, not saying its gospel.
-Middle of the pack (and places we would have looked harder at if we didn't have an immediate top 3): Briarcove, Woodland Mews, Signature club, Meadbowbrook Village

They said the summer sublet list is out as of now so that might change things but for those that are definitely into the apartment complex/townhouse option the above should be a pretty comprehensive, albeit personal, review

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:32 am

I too was apartment hunting this weekend and saw some of the same properties and second the above poster's opinion.

I'll really liked Woodbury (its a nice blend of price and comfort and proximity). You can catch a bus right on South or they provide shuttles (and the leasing agent I met with said they were considering either upgrading the shuttle to something bigger or getting a second one to keep up with demand).

Hidden Cove is very dorm/Soviet-esque with dark hallways and cinderblock walls in the halls. Was not impressed. Its a little cheaper (in the 700s for a 1 bedroom), but its pretty far (near State and Eisenhower).

There's also the 4eleven lofts in Kerrytown that were nice. But those are very much out of my price range!

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:34 pm

*sip sip* the kool-aid is quite scrumptious after the weekend

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:48 pm

bighead715 wrote:*sip sip* the kool-aid is quite scrumptious after the weekend
the Michigan Kool aid is like a good bourbon.... I'll take it neat, rocks, shots... However it is served. It's good to be Blue!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Are there any bars within walking distance of Woodbury Commons? Very important.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:12 pm

There are a couple shitty looking bars on Packard (which runs east of that apartment complex), but I don't think there's a quick path from the complex to Packard.

Also, Tangerine, since you're going to UM, I'll have to take you to the Metal Frat at some point. Plenty of local shows there, and they occasionally get bigger touring bands. Shai Hulud played a surprise show there a few weeks ago and it was out of control.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:40 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Are there any bars within walking distance of Woodbury Commons? Very important.

yup...there's actually a bar across the street with the awesome quality that it's part of a bowling alley.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:25 am

awesomepossum wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Are there any bars within walking distance of Woodbury Commons? Very important.

yup...there's actually a bar across the street with the awesome quality that it's part of a bowling alley.
:lol:

am i the only who thinks that bowling alley bars are ftw? :oops:

urban_cdn

New

Post by urban_cdn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 am

tamlyric wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

nope, definitely not the only one hahaha.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:56 am

tamlyric wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

Not at all. I don't drink but I love bowling, especially with drunk folks.

Justice

New

Post by Justice » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:57 am

Last edited by Justice on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 am

Justice wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote: there are actually many lines that drop off at the school or near to the school. The transit center, where many buses go, is close by and there is a bus that goes from the transit center to literally across the street to the school so you can transfer among buses fairly easy. So you have many options for buses. The buses are really good here so don't feel like you need to live along Packard. Your choice have far away from the school you want to live though.
DISAGREE. Do not depend on the buses. Live within 1 mile. You do not want to spend your Michigan winter waiting for buses.

if you have a smartphone, AA transit has a site that you can go to that will tell you exactly how late the bus is going to be. The buses are RARELY more than 5 minutes late and are usually 1-2 minutes.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:36 am

awesomepossum wrote:

Colonial? :?

goblue1646

New

Post by goblue1646 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:44 am

Justice wrote:
thisamericanlife wrote: there are actually many lines that drop off at the school or near to the school. The transit center, where many buses go, is close by and there is a bus that goes from the transit center to literally across the street to the school so you can transfer among buses fairly easy. So you have many options for buses. The buses are really good here so don't feel like you need to live along Packard. Your choice have far away from the school you want to live though.
DISAGREE. Do not depend on the buses. Live within 1 mile. You do not want to spend your Michigan winter waiting for buses.
as someone who went to UM and survived 4 Ann Arbor winters (including one year when it was -30 degrees w/windchill) I vehemently agree. Buses are terrible.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:51 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

I think that's the name of it maybe. It's possible that my bar/bowling alley standards are lower than yours.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:22 am

Are there any non-football fans on here? I know students can buy tickets but spouses cant and I have a wife who will want tickets. If anyone on here is not planning on going to the games, I will buy your season tickets from you (at a premium over face value) if you get a ticket when they become available. If you want to sell all but one or two games, thats also do-able

I am willing to buy two peoples tickets (since I have another friends spouse who needs tickets) as well so if anyone wants to make some easy cash, PM me and we can get this ball rolling.)

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:42 am

awesomepossum wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

I think that's the name of it maybe. It's possible that my bar/bowling alley standards are lower than yours.
I guess I'm just not much of a bar person. A2 bars to me seem to be Ashley's and everything else :oops:

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:48 am

JRMjr wrote:Are there any non-football fans on here? I know students can buy tickets but spouses cant and I have a wife who will want tickets. If anyone on here is not planning on going to the games, I will buy your season tickets from you (at a premium over face value) if you get a ticket when they become available. If you want to sell all but one or two games, thats also do-able

I am willing to buy two peoples tickets (since I have another friends spouse who needs tickets) as well so if anyone wants to make some easy cash, PM me and we can get this ball rolling.)
I'll probably be able to sell most of mine, excluding the home game vs UW and maybe one other. I'm not much of a football person, but one of my undergrad regrets is never going to a game here.

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:50 am

thalassocrat wrote:
JRMjr wrote:Are there any non-football fans on here? I know students can buy tickets but spouses cant and I have a wife who will want tickets. If anyone on here is not planning on going to the games, I will buy your season tickets from you (at a premium over face value) if you get a ticket when they become available. If you want to sell all but one or two games, thats also do-able

I'll probably be able to sell most of mine, excluding the home game vs UW and maybe one other. I'm not much of a football person, but one of my undergrad regrets is never going to a game here.
I'll basically buy chunks of them since I have friends coming in for most every game and then a fiance/wife-to-be who needs them.

open offer for anyone to take! I am a huge, huge college football fan (and will be traveling to games if anyone is interested in that....)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:07 pm

JRMjr wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:

I'll basically buy chunks of them since I have friends coming in for most every game and then a fiance/wife-to-be who needs them.

open offer for anyone to take! I am a huge, huge college football fan (and will be traveling to games if anyone is interested in that....)
Keep in mind, too, that it's still fairly early. There are plenty of students who will be looking to sell their season's worth over the summer and into the fall...

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:35 pm

goblue1646 wrote:
Justice wrote:
as someone who went to UM and survived 4 Ann Arbor winters (including one year when it was -30 degrees w/windchill) I vehemently agree. Buses are terrible.
I only make this claim for the ride, not any blue buses. I have never had a problem.

thisamericanlife

New

Post by thisamericanlife » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:38 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:

Keep in mind, too, that it's still fairly early. There are plenty of students who will be looking to sell their season's worth over the summer and into the fall...
From what friends tell me, there is a thriving market at the law school for tickets if you want to buy them for individual games. Within my college students sold many tickets for every game last year. As you can imagine, price depended on success and opponent.

lilxmeesh

New

Post by lilxmeesh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi!! Are there any summer starters looking for a summer sublet in Ann Arbor?

I am currently a 1L, and me and my roommates just secured a great 4-br apartment at 411 Lofts for next year.
But, it's a May 2010 to May 2011 lease...and none of us are going to be here for this summer (all 4 rooms are currently available, if you are interested in subletting 1-4 rooms with friends)

I am paying $850/month for my room, but I'm taking a hit for the summer and offering it for $525/mo for summer months so as to secure summer occupancy.

The room is available from May 1 - August 31; I can prorate the dates to fit your schedule (when classes start-finals end).

The apartment is in a new 10-story luxury building. The place comes fully furnished, with a 42" flat screen TV in the living room (yes you will have time to watch TV), granite kitchen counters, microwave + dishwasher.
The room comes with a full-size bed, desk, chair, and closet.

The apartment is located on the 7th floor, has a great view, tons of natural sunlight. Laundry room and fitness room is on the 10th floor.

The place is walking distance to campus, close to tons of restaurants and shopping, walking distance to Main St., etc etc.
411 E. Washington St (@ S. Division).

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

you can check out http://www.4elevenlofts.com for more details about the apartment building.

please PM me if you are interested!!! :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”