Michigan Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

ohmy212

New

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Post by ohmy212 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:56 pm

maggiebre wrote:
ohmy212 wrote:
JRMjr wrote:
ohmy212 wrote:If I was awarded a 15,000 dollar dean's scholarship, does that mean 15,000 total or per year?
did this just come today snail mail?
Saw it in my "Mail and Money" tab. It says it was sent on the 24th. I'm in New York and it hasn't come yet (although I haven't been home to check my mail yet today).
I just checked mine and it's definitely per year. Congrats!
Thanks! Makes decisions a bit harder though.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tryingtodecide123

New

Post by Tryingtodecide123 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:43 am

Facing the same choice (45000 at mich) vs Chicago sticker. I'm completely uninterested in football, heavy drinking, or small towns, what does that mean for me?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:27 am

Tryingtodecide123 wrote:Facing the same choice (45000 at mich) vs Chicago sticker. I'm completely uninterested in football, heavy drinking, or small towns, what does that mean for me?
There's more to do in Ann Arbor than just football and drinking. Plus, it's not that small of a town. :wink:

Have you visited both?

Tryingtodecide123

New

Post by Tryingtodecide123 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Unfortunately no, which is why i'm at a loss on how to make this decision and am only able to sprout stereotypes. It's really bad, but from a distance, and knowing what one can know about the two places from a distance, I'm preferring Chicago at the moment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Tryingtodecide123 wrote:Unfortunately no, which is why i'm at a loss on how to make this decision and am only able to sprout stereotypes. It's really bad, but from a distance, and knowing what one can know about the two places from a distance, I'm preferring Chicago at the moment.
What about how cutthroat everyone is there and how no one knows how to do anything but study and no one ever has any fun and it feels like prison? Just throwing around stereotypes. :)

Acedeuce

New

Post by Acedeuce » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Tryingtodecide123 wrote:Unfortunately no, which is why i'm at a loss on how to make this decision and am only able to sprout stereotypes. It's really bad, but from a distance, and knowing what one can know about the two places from a distance, I'm preferring Chicago at the moment.

I think visiting will be very important for you. If you can make it to Ann Arbor in April, I'm sure you will fall in love with it. There are many things to do besides drinking and football. I enjoy walking in the arboretum (arb), canoeing, great music, and eating at great restaurants. It is not a big city, so if that is something that matters to you, it will never be that, but it is a very lively place that if nothing else, is fun. The great thing for you is that both of those places have fantastic schools for a number of different careers, so you can really can't go wrong.

Tryingtodecide123

New

Post by Tryingtodecide123 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:33 am

Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the world, can't make it to either, and must make my decision based on hearsay and websites...

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 am

Tryingtodecide123 wrote:Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the world, can't make it to either, and must make my decision based on hearsay and websites...
Not just saying this because I already paid my seat deposit but if it were my choice... I'd go Michigan without a second though. I know everyone thinks ann arbor is a piddly town and all you can do is watch football since Michigan has nothing else to offer but... thats so far from the truth. I LOVE CHICAGO and would LOVE to live in chicago (and go to such a prestigious school that is ridiculously ranked and will offer you a nice biglaw job) but I KNOW that Michigans atmosphere is better from a work/life perspective. Additionally, the city of Ann Arbor has a ton to offer, the cost of living is lower, AND its not far from chicago if you ever want to visit. The only sticking point here will be prestige.... is sacrificing the 45k, potentially the best alumni network in the US, the collegial atmosphere, and an underrated city worth the slight bump in prestige and the big city life?

just my two cents... good luck with the choice since you really cant go wrong and I would absolutely kill to get any money from Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:43 am

Acedeuce wrote:

I think visiting will be very important for you. If you can make it to Ann Arbor in April, I'm sure you will fall in love with it. There are many things to do besides drinking and football. I enjoy walking in the arboretum (arb), canoeing, great music, and eating at great restaurants. It is not a big city, so if that is something that matters to you, it will never be that, but it is a very lively place that if nothing else, is fun. The great thing for you is that both of those places have fantastic schools for a number of different careers, so you can really can't go wrong.
I agree that visiting will be the key for you. For me visiting made all the difference - I visited Chicago recently and decided it wasn't for me. Chicago offered me a pretty good scholly but I'll still turn it down, and likely for a slightly less prestigious school. After seeing both schools in person you should be able to figure out where you'll be happiest.

Acedeuce

New

Post by Acedeuce » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Tryingtodecide123 wrote:Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the world, can't make it to either, and must make my decision based on hearsay and websites...
hmm... that's tricky then. I guess I would suggest thinking about what kind of place you want to be at in the states. Chicago is a great city, while Ann Arbor is the perfect mid-sized "city". Really can't go wrong, just personal preference. If you need constant hustle and bustle then Chicago will probably be better, but if you want someplace that can be both quiet at times and loud and raucous at others, then I'd say Michigan is the place to be.

One thing I would say is, it's likely you will end up in a major city after school, so if you want to experience a different side of America before rushing into the big cities, try out Ann Arbor for a more college town/academia feel.

/sales pitch

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:32 pm

maggiebre wrote:
Acedeuce wrote:

I agree that visiting will be the key for you. For me visiting made all the difference - I visited Chicago recently and decided it wasn't for me. Chicago offered me a pretty good scholly but I'll still turn it down, and likely for a slightly less prestigious school. After seeing both schools in person you should be able to figure out where you'll be happiest.
Looking at Mich/UVA/Duke, maggie? Kudos for turning down Chicago (even with good scholarship money) if you didn't feel comfortable there.

Lermontov

Bronze

Post by Lermontov » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:42 pm

JRMjr wrote:it gives the details under mail and money? UGH! It says no awards found for me
Not sure when you got in etc., but I got money that didn't show up at first (it took maybe two weeks or so?).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Lermontov wrote:
JRMjr wrote:it gives the details under mail and money? UGH! It says no awards found for me
Not sure when you got in etc., but I got money that didn't show up at first (it took maybe two weeks or so?).
Ha, I called and had an awk phone conversation with a lady in admissions. She was super nice but when she asked when I got in and I said "like 3.5 months ago... I should've heard by now huh?" there was a pause and then she said "well if you want you can email our office to double check..."

pretty much the nicest way of saying "nope, youre paying sticker" I have ever heard. Oh well, I love Michigan and they still have the nicest Admissions Office I've spoke with yet. GO BLUE!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Helmholtz wrote: Looking at Mich/UVA/Duke, maggie? Kudos for turning down Chicago (even with good scholarship money) if you didn't feel comfortable there.
Yea I'll most likely be at Mich or UVA (unless Columbia throws me a bone $$ wise). If I can get Michigan to up my $$ I'll almost definitely be there in the fall.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:59 pm

maggiebre wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: Looking at Mich/UVA/Duke, maggie? Kudos for turning down Chicago (even with good scholarship money) if you didn't feel comfortable there.
Yea I'll most likely be at Mich or UVA (unless Columbia throws me a bone $$ wise). If I can get Michigan to up my $$ I'll almost definitely be there in the fall.
Have you ever visited? I would be surprised if you didn't fall in love with it during ASW (going to the one next week, right?)

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tryingtodecide123

New

Post by Tryingtodecide123 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:30 pm

Hm... Maggie why did you decide against Chicago if i may ask?

Also, a friendly suggestion that everyone who's definitely turning a school down to please withdraw right when that decision is made, I'm sure there are a lot of us still out there waiting/negotiating for scholarships at certain schools (trying to do this at chicago), which would be freed up by people with schollys withdrawing.

Thanks!!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Ohhhh yeah.... it's next week already!

So I'll likely be doing some of the tours as well as doing the Saturday run and probably both dinners for the first preview weekend.

urban_cdn

New

Post by urban_cdn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:13 pm

hey guys! i'm registered for the second preview weekend and i was wondering how many people are bringing their significant others? im bringing my boyfriend along so he can see ann arbor and im not sure which events i should bring him to? i was thinking just the stuff they have planned for later on friday night - thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:17 pm

urban_cdn wrote:hey guys! i'm registered for the second preview weekend and i was wondering how many people are bringing their significant others? im bringing my boyfriend along so he can see ann arbor and im not sure which events i should bring him to? i was thinking just the stuff they have planned for later on friday night - thoughts?
Yeah, I'm bringing my SO as well. I figure I'll bring him to the general reception-type events, but won't bore him with the financial aid seminar or whatever.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to either Preview Weekend (first is full and the second is the same weekend as Vandy's, which I already signed up for :( ). But I will be making a trip on March 18-20 with my SO to check out Michigan. Very excited! Hopefully this trip will convince the fiancee that Ann Arbor would be a great place to spend the next three years (she is very much against living in AA).

urban_cdn

New

Post by urban_cdn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 pm

beesknees wrote:
urban_cdn wrote:hey guys! i'm registered for the second preview weekend and i was wondering how many people are bringing their significant others? im bringing my boyfriend along so he can see ann arbor and im not sure which events i should bring him to? i was thinking just the stuff they have planned for later on friday night - thoughts?
Yeah, I'm bringing my SO as well. I figure I'll bring him to the general reception-type events, but won't bore him with the financial aid seminar or whatever.
oh ok, good to hear i'm not the only one with a tag-along! so excited to meet everyone!!

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”