Denver 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Matthies

Silver

Re: Denver 2013

Post by Matthies » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:14 am

km23 wrote:I'm a PT student and have Hardaway and Russell so far.
I was part-time as well and had them both.

Do you have Russell for Torts of Contracts? Russell is great, a great poriofessor, funny, endgaged, cares about his tudents, has a facebook page and will actually respond to posts you make. Great professor. Keep to his exam as he will tell you "Boring orginization gets all the points." he NOT joking. Headings, subheadings, underlineing, orginze by tpoic issue, P or D. Just organize the hell out of your exam. russle does not reallky cold call, but if you have a profesion germain to the case (like a Doctor, or a and insurance guy) he will call on you to ask you stuff about your sidurty.

Hardaway, LOL, hardaway, what can I say. The guy knows Civ Pro like the nobody's busniess. But he is a serious charcter. Hardaway will call your Dr. Lastname. He allways uses a microphone. First week or so of class he will passout a deck of playing cards, two people write thier name on a card. Each class he shuuffles the deck, pulls out a card or two and those pople are on call. You will then have to STAND (not shitting you) and he will ask you questions about the case. You have to reamin standing until he's done with the case, sometimes like 20 mins, sometimes 5. I got lucky and got like the shortest case in our entre casebook, LOL, but I still stood for 20 mins becuase he rambled on about stuff.

This sounds way more scary than it really is. The first guy who has to do it the first day, yea that sucks, but trust me everyone will have to do it and no one will pay attention to you while your doing it. Its seems worse than it really is. Also he has these after class sessions that are bascilly review, and abnouther hour of extra optional class. I did not go to them and did fine.

I don't know if he still does this, but you had to hand write his exams when I had him, only handwitten exam i had in law school. It was half essay and half bar exem level mutiple choice. HARD multiple choice where every answer could be right except for one tiny little detail.

Key to do well on his exam is this: hardway has "sayings' that he will repaeat over and over in class like "common nuclouse of operative fact" write those down. Then on the exam wriote them exactly as he says them underline and higlight it. I got my exams back from both Civ Pro I and II, and aALL the did was put a check mark next to each prahse I wrote of his that was underlined and highlighted. I could have said "blah, blah, balh, COMMON NUMCLOUS OF OPETIVE FACT balh balh blah and i bet i still would have gotten the points.

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Last edited by km23 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 pm

--ImageRemoved--

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:11 pm

JTX wrote:--ImageRemoved--
First, love the pic!!!

2nd, be honest, how long did you listen? Also, does that happen often or was it just a special dealing with a specific topic?

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:47 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
JTX wrote:--ImageRemoved--
First, love the pic!!!

2nd, be honest, how long did you listen? Also, does that happen often or was it just a special dealing with a specific topic?
i drove into "work" this morning and 850 was on my car radio from yesterday's Rockies talk show (or was that Tuesday? w/e). seeing as how i dont have anything to do, i sat in the parking lot listening to the radio for an hour :oops:
it was Mike Rosen, a local show. they had prof Hardaway on talking on the subject of a compact amongst states to "honor" the national popular vote, a way to circumvent the electoral college. it involved states conspiring against other states to defeat the constitutionally outlined process... namely, this coalition of states agrees to vote for presidential candidate that is "declared" the national popular vote winner regardless of the voting outcome of the voters of their own states.

to wit, Colorado goes to Candidate X in voting in the state, but Colorado happens to be part of the coalition (which it is not currently). in national elections, Candidate X loses to Candidate Y (tallied by who, exactly, is not specified. I assume media based on the states's reported numbers), so the electoral votes of Colorado go to Candidate Y, despite X having won the state. in this process, we supposedly get a fairer version of democracy, being a direct democracy.

however, imho, it sucks... cuz it makes Colorado legislature commit electoral votes to a candidate that may not have won the state. seems like a pretty skeezy way for large population bases to overrun smaller places. my take, and prof hardaway's (but in nicer words). he referenced the compromise of having two houses of congress at the constitutional convention in 1787, which cut to the root of federalism and the idea that small states were fairly represented in national government. thus, HOR apportioned by pop, and 2 Senators each. the electoral college is up to the states to decide how to use them, but it seems pretty shitty for the legislature to ignore its own constituents in favor of the national popular vote winner (as declared by CNN or Fox News). to me, it plays out as a diminishing power of voter influence, rather than doing something good for voters. I'd have a problem having my state's electoral votes given to the candidate chosen by, say Chicago voters, seeing as how that one (stupid) city can overcome the whole state of Colorado, vote for vote, population wise almost two-to-one. like even a chicago vote split 50.1% to 49.9% would mean the split here would have to be like a 90%+ landslide in terms of raw voters. not interested in giving it away like that, no thanks.
*steps off soapbox*

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:41 pm

I am in Denver right now. Anyone want to meet up at some point for beers?

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Captain Muscles wrote:I am in Denver right now. Anyone want to meet up at some point for beers?
Are you in Denver for good now, or visiting to find an apartment? I'll be there on the 20th, so I'll be up for some drinks.

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Captain Muscles wrote:I am in Denver right now. Anyone want to meet up at some point for beers?
I'll be in denver on the 15th for good. So does anyone want to meet up for some beers that weekend?

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:19 pm

Just looking for an Apt.

Here until Tuesday night.

I will be moving up on Aug 1st.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thinkinoutloud

New

Post by thinkinoutloud » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:09 pm

I am here in town so if anyone wants to meet up, just holler at me.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:42 am

Is anyone planning on hitting the gym once the semester starts? I rarely work out, but want to start at least running at least three times a week, but I'm pretty lazy and could use a gym rat to motivate me to go with them. Anyone? Someone?

KidCharlemagne

New

Post by KidCharlemagne » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:24 pm

lawlec48 wrote:Is anyone planning on hitting the gym once the semester starts? I rarely work out, but want to start at least running at least three times a week, but I'm pretty lazy and could use a gym rat to motivate me to go with them. Anyone? Someone?
lawlec, I'm something of a gym rat. I'll also be living only a couple blocks from campus, so I'll definitely be up at the Ritchie Center quite a bit. Shoot me a PM sometime.

Anyone play basketball? I was checking out the DU intramural sports page, and bball starts in October. Would be cool to get a men's or corec team together to rep the 1Ls.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:42 pm

KidCharlemagne wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:Is anyone planning on hitting the gym once the semester starts? I rarely work out, but want to start at least running at least three times a week, but I'm pretty lazy and could use a gym rat to motivate me to go with them. Anyone? Someone?
lawlec, I'm something of a gym rat. I'll also be living only a couple blocks from campus, so I'll definitely be up at the Ritchie Center quite a bit. Shoot me a PM sometime.

Anyone play basketball? I was checking out the DU intramural sports page, and bball starts in October. Would be cool to get a men's or corec team together to rep the 1Ls.
Good to hear I'll have at least one gym buddy, I just need to keep the motivation once I start. Easier said than done.

Regarding basketball, I'm interested and glad it starts in October as I'll need a little time to get into game shape and get my shot back. I coached basketball for a couple years at the HS level and those guys took me off the dribble here and there, but I held my own. Unfortunately that was a couple years ago, so hopefully I'll still be able to man up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Hey Lawlec, What do you think of LEEWS? Have you started it? how long of a program are the audio cds? Also to the working out idea. I have P90X and insanity that i could burn for you if you want a program that you can do at home,

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:31 pm

whiskey wrote:Hey Lawlec, What do you think of LEEWS? Have you started it? how long of a program are the audio cds? Also to the working out idea. I have P90X and insanity that i could burn for you if you want a program that you can do at home,
Whiskey, I started leews about a week ago and so far its helpful a little bit, lots of common sense but things that you may not think of or default to when your stressing and rushed during the exam. I still have 60% of it left so it should have more info that i haven't gotten to, plus half of the beginning was intro.

I would suggest it, as it seems most do, but I can trade ya for P90x as i have it on my ipod.

You get to denver on thursday right? Ill be there next tuesday... Reserve some nights for fun!

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 am

Leaving for Denver. Hopefully i'll make it in two days and be ready for my first weekend in D town.
Lawlec: Time is already set aside for some pre law school drinks! I actually have the LEEWS burned to disc and will probably listen to on my trip out east.
See you all in Denver!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:48 am

whiskey wrote:Leaving for Denver. Hopefully i'll make it in two days and be ready for my first weekend in D town.
Lawlec: Time is already set aside for some pre law school drinks! I actually have the LEEWS burned to disc and will probably listen to on my trip out east.
See you all in Denver!
I had to laugh @ "drive out East". Living in WI, the East is only the East Coast and it is hard to grasp Denver anything but West, but you are coming East for sure. How long of a drive?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cassandrakirsch

New

Post by cassandrakirsch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Hey guys, I just signed my lease on an awesome house off South Gilpin and Iliff on Sunday! I'll be back on August 1st and would love to possibly grab a beer at Jordan's with my incoming class. By the way, has anyone eaten there yet? I had their fish and chips during the Uruguay vs. Germany FIFA game and it was to die for!

Oh yeah, I'm unit 2 this semester with DuVivier (Civil Procedure), Moffatt (Contracts), Anderson (Lawyering Process I) and Smith (Torts).Anyone else?

In regards to working out, are there any good martial arts meet-ups around campus? I have several years of karate, kendo, aiki-jutsu and taichi under my belt and would love to get back into it in my off time.

cassandrakirsch

New

Post by cassandrakirsch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:48 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
Matthies wrote:Do you guys have your professors yet? If so i can tell you if I have had them/what they were like.
In section 2, here are the courses and profs

Contracts: Viva R. Moffat

Torts: Catherine E. Smith

Lawyering Process:Suzanna K. Moran

Civ Pro: Katharine K. DuVivier

Even though it is just the schedule, I'm pretty excited... making things feel like they are really happening now!
Well, looks like we'll be in the same classes! :D

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:55 pm

lawlec and Kid-C,

I would like to join as the third and final member of Team Workout. I used to workout and know a lot, but never do anymore. I also need 2 workout partners so there is a higher chance of me working out.

I will be living as close to campus as possible.

-jtx

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:28 pm

JTX wrote:lawlec and Kid-C,

I would like to join as the third and final member of Team Workout. I used to workout and know a lot, but never do anymore. I also need 2 workout partners so there is a higher chance of me working out.

-jtx

JTX, did you find a place to live yet? Also, I'm all good with a workout group, better chance I'll actually go then. I don't know if we should let Cassandra K in though as I'm sure one of us will be liable to say something dumb and she'll be able to round house kick us both in the face... at the same time! Just kidding, at least, I hope it doesn't happen!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cassandrakirsch

New

Post by cassandrakirsch » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:46 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
JTX wrote:lawlec and Kid-C,

-jtx

JTX, did you find a place to live yet? Also, I'm all good with a workout group, better chance I'll actually go then. I don't know if we should let Cassandra K in though as I'm sure one of us will be liable to say something dumb and she'll be able to round house kick us both in the face... at the same time! Just kidding, at least, I hope it doesn't happen!
Come on, now! You're making me sound like Chuck Norris. Come to think of it, that may not be a bad thing.

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:28 pm

x
Last edited by JTX on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:14 pm

JTX wrote:^^^ cassandra as chuck norris. :lol:

lawlec, no, I havent found a place yet. i'll PM you my thoughts.

JTX, sounds good, message away!

I was thinking of some nicknames for cassandra, but none would be better than Chuck Norris. I say we go with it, your thoughts CK?

lawyerboy24

New

Post by lawyerboy24 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello. I'll be a 2L at DU Sturm Law this year. If anyone has any questions feel free to email me at an2n@rocketmail.com or post here.

Anyone have Austin for Lawyering Process? I'll be one of your TAs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”