Denver 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JTX

Bronze

Re: Denver 2013

Post by JTX » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:54 pm

lawyerboy24 wrote:Hello. I'll be a 2L at DU Sturm Law this year. If anyone has any questions feel free to email me at an2n@rocketmail.com or post here.

Anyone have Austin for Lawyering Process? I'll be one of your TAs.
my schedule doesn't have a prof assigned for law process yet. but i do have the schedule. do you have what time and day Austin will have?

...and welcome to TLS... :| I'm sure you'll find it as terrible a place as I have :wink:

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:17 am

lawyerboy24 wrote:Hello. I'll be a 2L at DU Sturm Law this year. If anyone has any questions feel free to email me at an2n@rocketmail.com or post here.

Anyone have Austin for Lawyering Process? I'll be one of your TAs.
Hey lawyerboy, I don't have Austin, but I was curious about being a TA. How did you get that gig? Did well in Austin's class or was it an externship and the grades helped or nothing to do with grades and/or the externships?

Any suggestions or help on what we should do 1L is greatly appreciated. We've been lucky to have Matties here to answer a great deal of questions and give us some nice incite. Bwod has offered help too lately, but more is always appreciated.

lawyerboy24

New

Post by lawyerboy24 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:08 pm

JTX:
I'm TA'ing Austin's 9am class, Mondays and Wednesdays. She also teaches another class, from 1030am-1145am which will be TA'd by some friends of mine who are great. As TAs, we will be primarily responsible for teaching and grading small assignments on the Bluebook (citation manual for law). You may have Austin if you're in Section 3. If you go to law.du.edu and click on "Registrar" then "Class Schedules" then "Fall 2010" it has a list of who's teaching what when (for the most part). It also has a tentative schedule for the Spring.

Lawlec48:
I got the TA job via a combination of factors. I did not have the top grade in the class. Nor did I have the lowest. But I think I showed a good attitude and that I play well with others. Lawyering Process, imho, is the hardest thing you'll encounter first semester... at least until Finals (at which point LP will be over, because there's only a final memo, not a final exam). Individual LP profs hire their TAs. So having the right rapport and "fit" is important. TAs for Torts, Crim Law, Civ Pro, etc. (often called AAP tutors) are selected because they got A's. And that's about it for the AAP selection process. My AAP tutors were invariably good, so that's no dig on the AAP program, but I think it's more self-selective, whereas Austin picked me and the other TAs she's using. Small difference, I suppose, but as you'll learn... in law school, you take any ego-boost you can get! Ha ha.

I know who BWOD is. He was in my section. He's a good guy, and probably has more info about things to do around school. (I am a little older and have a girlfriend and don't live near campus.)

Other than telling you to enjoy this last summer as a "civilian" I guess for complete law nubes (like I was) I'd advise something general such as "Law 101" by Feinman. He covers all the basic 1L classes and the concepts contained therein. Civil Procedure presents some of the more alien concepts, as I'm sure you've heard, so the E&E can help there, or "Starting Off Right in Law School" by Nygren. Some profs have their booklists up on dubookstore.com (select LAW-AUTUMN). If they have something on there (usually listed as Optional), use it.

Happy to answer any other questions as they come along.

KidCharlemagne

New

Post by KidCharlemagne » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:56 pm

JTX wrote:lawlec and Kid-C,

I would like to join as the third and final member of Team Workout. I used to workout and know a lot, but never do anymore. I also need 2 workout partners so there is a higher chance of me working out.

I will be living as close to campus as possible.

-jtx
Sounds good JTX, let's do it.

I'm getting in to Denver a week from Monday. Anyone planning a pre-orientation meetup? Would be cool to match some faces to screenames.

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:44 pm

KidCharlemagne wrote: Anyone planning a pre-orientation meetup? Would be cool to match some faces to screenames. it will suck for JTX to be outed IRL because of all his trolling in the lounge and BP posting.
ftfm.

also, I'm in for another TLS meetup. PM me details or tell lawlec to hit me up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:03 am

Hey ladies and gents, I don't care if i'm outed or not... So i'll have a party pre-orientation at my place... Once i'm in i'll text all to set it up!!!

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:49 pm

Sup guys.

I am also down to hit up the gym.

I usually go about 3 times a week for an hour or so.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Well, I've been in Denver now for two days, and I currently hate it. Well, that is not completely true, I still love Denver, but this unpacking thing is absolutely horrid. I've been unpacking for 1 1/2 days and do not see an end to the misery. Once everything is all packed away, I'll be all set to meet up with people or have people over to my place. It will also be nice to finally adventure out of my apartment and see the town too.

cassandrakirsch

New

Post by cassandrakirsch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
JTX wrote:^^^ cassandra as chuck norris. :lol:

lawlec, no, I havent found a place yet. i'll PM you my thoughts.

JTX, sounds good, message away!

I was thinking of some nicknames for cassandra, but none would be better than Chuck Norris. I say we go with it, your thoughts CK?

:roll: Maybe...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:49 pm

lawlec48 wrote:Well, I've been in Denver now for two days, and I currently hate it. Well, that is not completely true, I still love Denver, but this unpacking thing is absolutely horrid. I've been unpacking for 1 1/2 days and do not see an end to the misery. Once everything is all packed away, I'll be all set to meet up with people or have people over to my place. It will also be nice to finally adventure out of my apartment and see the town too.
i hated my first three or four days. Unpacking sucked, driving here sucked, and i couldnt sleep to save my life. But now Denver is awesome. I've done the Coors Brewery tour, wild bill grave, walked through down town and i just found that Cherry creek state park is near my place. THey have everything there! Anybody down to do the New Belgium Brewery tour maybe next week?

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:55 am

whiskey wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:Well, I've been in Denver now for two days, and I currently hate it. Well, that is not completely true, I still love Denver, but this unpacking thing is absolutely horrid. I've been unpacking for 1 1/2 days and do not see an end to the misery. Once everything is all packed away, I'll be all set to meet up with people or have people over to my place. It will also be nice to finally adventure out of my apartment and see the town too.
i hated my first three or four days. Unpacking sucked, driving here sucked, and i couldnt sleep to save my life. But now Denver is awesome. I've done the Coors Brewery tour, wild bill grave, walked through down town and i just found that Cherry creek state park is near my place. THey have everything there! Anybody down to do the New Belgium Brewery tour maybe next week?
I am definitely in for New Belgium!!! I had some Skinny Dip for the first time last month and loved it. Since, I've been lucky enough to find it in Wisconsin at half the places I asked, which I was impressed with, but now I don't have to worry about that issue. Needless to say, I'm game to try all their selections.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:22 pm

For those in Denver, anyone interested in getting together tomorrow (Saturday, July 24) for some drinks downtown? PM me and we can share contact info for those I don't already have.

KidCharlemagne

New

Post by KidCharlemagne » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:24 am

lawlec48 wrote:
whiskey wrote:
I am definitely in for New Belgium!!! I had some Skinny Dip for the first time last month and loved it. Since, I've been lucky enough to find it in Wisconsin at half the places I asked, which I was impressed with, but now I don't have to worry about that issue. Needless to say, I'm game to try all their selections.
whiskey/lawlec: I'm also game for the brewery tour, sounds like a blast...got any particular day in mind?

Ditto on the driving. I'm posting this from a hotel in North Platte, NE (lol). Decided to crash overnight and make the final push in to Denver tomorrow...not much scenery to be had in the midwest and I could only handle about 9 hours of the boredom today. It will be awesome to see the mountains on the horizon tomorrow afternoon...see you guys soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm guessing a lot of new are starting to arrive in Denver within the past week, so if anyone wants to meet up, let me know and we can setup at time and place to meet. This past weekend, a couple of us met up downtown and barely scratched the surface of the bar scene so that is always an option OR if most people are near DU, we could always meet up near campus too.

It will be nice to finally meet everyone!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:34 pm

hi guys what did I miss? Ben away for a few weeks.
Last edited by Matthies on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:41 pm

^Damn, that is crazy. I did not hear about it.

Denver generally seems to be a pretty safe city.

Sorry to hear about your friend though.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Captain Muscles wrote:^Damn, that is crazy. I did not hear about it.

Denver generally seems to be a pretty safe city.

Sorry to hear about your friend though.
edited
Last edited by Matthies on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:43 pm

lawlec48 wrote:I'm guessing a lot of new are starting to arrive in Denver within the past week, so if anyone wants to meet up, let me know and we can setup at time and place to meet. This past weekend, a couple of us met up downtown and barely scratched the surface of the bar scene so that is always an option OR if most people are near DU, we could always meet up near campus too.

Had a blast, but you're right we didn't even scratch the service of the Denver night life. I'm always down for a meetup. if people want to do it closer to campus we can always BBQ at our place and move on later in the night. I wouldnt mind exploring Downtown more though.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:16 pm

whiskey wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:I'm guessing a lot of new are starting to arrive in Denver within the past week, so if anyone wants to meet up, let me know and we can setup at time and place to meet. This past weekend, a couple of us met up downtown and barely scratched the surface of the bar scene so that is always an option OR if most people are near DU, we could always meet up near campus too.

Had a blast, but you're right we didn't even scratch the service of the Denver night life. I'm always down for a meetup. if people want to do it closer to campus we can always BBQ at our place and move on later in the night. I wouldnt mind exploring Downtown more though.
There is so much to see/party downtown and in Uptonw, East Colfax/Cap Hill areas

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: Journals

I was looking at the information regarding the law review and noticed it seems to be 100% write-on and not grade based, am I reading this correctly? I kind of thought it would be a mixture of the two to some regard. Also, are all journals purely write-on or is there a grade element to the selection process?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:27 pm

lawlec48 wrote:Re: Journals

I was looking at the information regarding the law review and noticed it seems to be 100% write-on and not grade based, am I reading this correctly? I kind of thought it would be a mixture of the two to some regard. Also, are all journals purely write-on or is there a grade element to the selection process?
The main flagship jorunal used to be part grade on and part write on. Maybe that's changed. All the other journals were just write on compeatitions. I think I posted about the WLR one in this thread or anouther thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks for the quick response Matthies... It looks like most journals are write-on for a 1 or 2 year term and the write-on competition begin following the conclusion of the 2nd semester. The only exception I seen was the Sports & Entertainment Journal which allowed 1Ls to write-on beginning Spring 1L.

I started looking at the journals today because there is a thread on the main page about participation in the journal write-on competition (focused on law review). Some people indicated a very high percentage of people submitted to the competition (50%) whereas other schools reported only a small fraction actually turned in their packets, although more began the process but did not finish. One guy indicated in the last three years (out of 145) that participation was 25% then only 15/145, then only 9/145 actually submitted to the competition.

At DU, what do was your experience? What percentage of people actually tryout for Law Review and the other journals?

Thanks in advance!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:50 pm

lawlec48 wrote:Thanks for the quick response Matthies... It looks like most journals are write-on for a 1 or 2 year term and the write-on competition begin following the conclusion of the 2nd semester. The only exception I seen was the Sports & Entertainment Journal which allowed 1Ls to write-on beginning Spring 1L.

I started looking at the journals today because there is a thread on the main page about participation in the journal write-on competition (focused on law review). Some people indicated a very high percentage of people submitted to the competition (50%) whereas other schools reported only a small fraction actually turned in their packets, although more began the process but did not finish. One guy indicated in the last three years (out of 145) that participation was 25% then only 15/145, then only 9/145 actually submitted to the competition.

At DU, what do was your experience? What percentage of people actually tryout for Law Review and the other journals?

Thanks in advance!
I can't really say becuase I was PT and most of my classmates had jobs/familes so only a few actually did journals. I did the water law jounral only, becuase that is what I wanted to do for pratice so its the only one I tried for and got on 2nd semster of 1L. I would say alot take the packets but don't compleate them for all LRs. Its time consuming and a lot of work. I think when i wrote on they said something like 50 folks downloaded the packet, 20 truned in and like 5 got picked.

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:56 pm

/
Last edited by km23 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:07 pm

km23 wrote:Current and past students:

Can you tell me anything about the Peer Mentoring Program? Is it worthwhile? If you didn't participate in it, do you know people who did and thought it was a great resource for the 1L year?

Also, I am really interested in the Professional Mentoring Program. What are the pros and cons (I'm guessing mostly pros)? I feel like it will allow me to network in Denver, since I will be new to the scene.

Are any of you incoming 1Ls going to participate in either of these programs?
KM, I was interested in both programs and have tried to get more information to no avail from DU. I emailed the office and have yet to receive a reply. Guess I need to call or stop in versus simply emailing.

I can only see positives from the mentoring programs... time would be the only drawback but since it is being used for networking, it is still a positive use of time.

Let us know if you find anything else out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”