Denver 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Captain Muscles

New

Re: Denver 2013

Post by Captain Muscles » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:49 am

I heard it almost never rains in Denver.

Looking forward to some sunny days!

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:55 pm

lawlec-- I propose that you, as OP, modify OP to tally a list of when everyone is arriving in Denver permanently and also for visits so we can know who to PM for meet ups.

I'm here already. so yes, selfishly, this is so i can make new friends and drink more beer.

:mrgreen:

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 pm

JTX wrote:lawlec-- I propose that you, as OP, modify OP to tally a list of when everyone is arriving in Denver permanently and also for visits so we can know who to PM for meet ups.

I'm here already. so yes, selfishly, this is so i can make new friends and drink more beer.

Hell Yeah! My date shall be July 15 or so. Always down to meet new friends in the area. Since i wont know anyone except the other two tls'ers that i met on ASD.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 pm

JTX wrote:lawlec-- I propose that you, as OP, modify OP to tally a list of when everyone is arriving in Denver permanently and also for visits so we can know who to PM for meet ups.

Alright JTX, here is a little run down from what I've gotten off the site so far... everyone feel free to update me!

Screen Name------------------Visit----------------------------Move

JTX LOCAL
Thinkinoutloud LOCAL
lawlec48--------------------June 12-16-----------------------July 15
cassandrakirsh----------------July 8
captainmuscles---------------late June
whiskey------------------------------------------------------July 15
lawgirl99-----------------------------------------------------July 31
bbeck
kidcharlemagne
holababe522
km23---------------------------------------------------------Aug 1
Last edited by lawlec48 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:25 pm

whiskey wrote:

Hell Yeah! My date shall be July 15 or so. Always down to meet new friends in the area. Since i wont know anyone except the other two tls'ers that i met on ASD.

Whisky, since we look to be moving about the same time, we are going to have plenty of time to get to know the bars before we have to go into a drinking semi-retirement for the next three years!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
whiskey wrote:

Whisky, since we look to be moving about the same time, we are going to have plenty of time to get to know the bars before we have to go into a drinking semi-retirement for the next three years!
1Ls drink more than UGs do, for reals, them is some partuing MOFOs. Also, FYI, the gossips in LS is worse than HS, don't get drunk and do soemthing stupid or hit on one of your classmates becuase everyone will know about it the next day. I keep law school and lawyer frinds, and twonie freinds, only the townies have seen me really party. Your rep starts the first day of LS, keep it clean, keep it nice, and keep it sperate from your "other" life.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Matthies wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:
whiskey wrote:

1Ls drink more than UGs do, for reals, them is some partuing MOFOs. Also, FYI, the gossips in LS is worse than HS, don't get drunk and do soemthing stupid or hit on one of your classmates becuase everyone will know about it the next day. I keep law school and lawyer frinds, and twonie freinds, only the townies have seen me really party. Your rep starts the first day of LS, keep it clean, keep it nice, and keep it sperate from your "other" life.
Well, in that case we will have to prime ourselves for 1L and make sure we can handle our alcohol, as to not make a fool of ourselves.

BBeck42

New

Post by BBeck42 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:40 pm

I will be moving in July, but the date is iffy- trying to figure out how long I want to live on families couches while I look for a place to live. Either July 10th or 24th will be my arrival date. Psyched for law school- anyone doing anything to prepare, or just enjoying our last few months of freedom?

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm

BBeck42 wrote:I will be moving in July, but the date is iffy- trying to figure out how long I want to live on families couches while I look for a place to live. Either July 10th or 24th will be my arrival date. Psyched for law school- anyone doing anything to prepare, or just enjoying our last few months of freedom?
Doing a little bit of prep and a lot more relaxation. I'm purchased all of the E&E's, but since we only know one course for sure until the schedules come out. So, I've read half of the E&E on Civ Pro, which has been really interesting, but its been 350 pages of where you can sue based on several different situations. I'm finally getting to actual procedures in a trial. So far everything has been exciting and interesting, so I'm taking that as a positive.

In addition, I've read a bunch of books to try to get an understanding of what law school is like. I've read the norms; Law School Confidential, 1L, Getting to Maybe, and Law School Planet II. Some were entertaining, some helpful, some worthless.

I still plan to finish the E&E on Civ Pro, re-reading Getting to Maybe, completing the LEEWS program, which I've already purchased, and trying to read the other two E&E's after finding out which two other classes beside Civ Pro and Lawyering course.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KidCharlemagne

New

Post by KidCharlemagne » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:49 am

lawlec48 wrote:

Alright JTX, here is a little run down from what I've gotten off the site so far... everyone feel free to update me!

Screen Name------------------Visit----------------------------Move

JTX LOCAL
Thinkinoutloud LOCAL
lawlec48--------------------June 12-16-----------------------July 15
cassandrakirsh----------------July 8
captainmuscles---------------late June
whiskey------------------------------------------------------July 15
lawgirl99-----------------------------------------------------July 31
bbeck
kidcharlemagne
holababe522
km23---------------------------------------------------------Aug 1
Moving in July 26 :D Hope to meet up with you guys.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:50 am

Hey all I really can't recoemdn getting this book enough and reading it over the summer before law school. It will tell you everything you need to be doing AND how to do it over the next three years so that when this is all over you have a job you really want. Its one of the few books I would recommend reading before LS and there is stuff in it you can do now to get ready (like how to update your resume and stuff even if your not a 1L yet)

Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams, 2nd Edition

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031417 ... DD7CF8QTMN

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:24 pm

dear future classmates:

on my drive home from denver on Saturday night, our car fast approached another vehicle.
"look at this car, what is that s***? looks like m*****f*****g ghostbustas", said JTX.
"i dunno", said JTX's friend.
then we got closer... "it is m*******f****** ghostbustas!!!"

enjoy, m*****f****** ghostbustas:

Last edited by JTX on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Muscles

New

Post by Captain Muscles » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:04 pm

^Sweet!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KidCharlemagne

New

Post by KidCharlemagne » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:34 pm

LOL, wow - that is just awesome.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Wow!!! lol, you were not joking that you seen the Ghost Busters lol... That is awesome!!!

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 pm

not 100% sure, but that could be dan akroyd in front passenger seat.

ashleighlauren

New

Post by ashleighlauren » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:43 pm

I'll also be attending DU in the fall PT! Plans are to live in Aurora since it's cheaper and for work purposes. Anyone have any course outlines they have purchased? Recommended readings? I've also thought about attending summer preview, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you guys know that if you have any questions about your first year at DU, let me know. I just finished up my 1L and am currently doing summer classes, so I have time everyday to answer questions.

I was reading some posts and just wanted to let you know a couple things.
1. I wouldn't prepare before hand, even just for Civ Pro. You may get Marsh and an E&E won't help you. I had friends who did the summer preview. Use it just to meet people.

2. You are right about how much law students drink. Don't worry too much about what you do during these sessions (just don't drive).

3. Meet friends outside of your section. Those in your section will tend to annoy you and being around different people helps when you are out of class helps relax the stress a bit.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:15 pm

BWOD wrote:Hello all,

Just wanted to let you guys know that if you have any questions about your first year at DU, let me know. I just finished up my 1L and am currently doing summer classes, so I have time everyday to answer questions.

I was reading some posts and just wanted to let you know a couple things.
1. I wouldn't prepare before hand, even just for Civ Pro. You may get Marsh and an E&E won't help you. I had friends who did the summer preview. Use it just to meet people.

2. You are right about how much law students drink. Don't worry too much about what you do during these sessions (just don't drive).

3. Meet friends outside of your section. Those in your section will tend to annoy you and being around different people helps when you are out of class helps relax the stress a bit.
In regards to #1, I've heard so much differing opinion upon preparing before law school. Some people live by it, some say its the curse of the earth. I think it is how you go about it and obviously not use it to learn everything in your own opinion or based on the authors opinions, since the professors opinions are all that matter for the exams.

The drinking things still throws me for a loop. All I've heard and read about is that LS requires all types of studying and leaves very little free time, so to hear that there is more drinking than UG is crazy.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:21 pm

BWOD,

Since you've completed your 1L, would you be kind enough to give us your opinion on DU? Courses? LS in general?

Also, is there anything that you would suggest for 1L, anythings you would do differently?

Thanks

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:32 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
In regards to #1, I've heard so much differing opinion upon preparing before law school. Some people live by it, some say its the curse of the earth. I think it is how you go about it and obviously not use it to learn everything in your own opinion or based on the authors opinions, since the professors opinions are all that matter for the exams.

The drinking things still throws me for a loop. All I've heard and read about is that LS requires all types of studying and leaves very little free time, so to hear that there is more drinking than UG is crazy.
In regards to studying, that is very true. From what I experienced is that you will have a lot of stress your first 6 weeks of school. I wouldn't want to extend that stress. That said if it calms you, read about general ideas of law, but don't delve to far as to getting to test (except for negligence). If it were up to me and I had the option of reading more or meeting classmates, I would meet the classmates.

LS does require all types of studying and leaves very little free time. But, study hard, play hard. It won't be like UG where you can drink all day, but you will make up for it the little free time you have.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:50 pm

lawlec48 wrote:BWOD,

Since you've completed your 1L, would you be kind enough to give us your opinion on DU? Courses? LS in general?

Also, is there anything that you would suggest for 1L, anythings you would do differently?

Thanks
I like DU but I did my undergrad here as well, so I may be biased. I don't know of anyone that left because they didn't like DU, and most people that have moved from some place outside of Colorado have abandoned all plans to leave after they graduate because they like the state so much.

I liked most of my courses and professors. I loved Con Law, but a lot of people didn't. Even if you don't enjoy a class going in, you have so much coverage of the law your first year, you will find something you like. Once you find out your specific professors, you can message me and I will tell you what I know about them or what other people think of them.

Law school is great, and you will meet a lot of great people. That said, it will take over your life. If you go out with law school friends all you will talk about is law school. Bans on law school talk/jokes don't last very long.

What I would do differently:
- I told myself that I would outline halfway through the semester, and then didn't. If I could go back, I would outline. A lot of the law you learn builds upon itself and it makes it easier at the end of the semester to not have to teach yourself Ks, Torts, or Civ Pro in two weeks.

- Don't be limited by sections. I tried to make more friends in my section, but it didn't work out and missed out on a lot of the real friends from law school. You are all in a foxhole together, so stick together. You find out who your friends are pretty quickly. Additionally, if you are in a section that doesn't go out a lot, and you want to hang out, there are likely other sections that are going out or having a drink.

Finally, get to know The Stadium, Illegal Pete's and Jordan's. You will meet a lot of law students there and is very close to school.

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Last edited by km23 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:51 pm

km23 wrote:Do PT and FT students mix and mingle? I'm a little worried because i'm in PT but a bit on the younger side (for most PT students) and am worried I won't make many law student friends. I'm also from out of state and don't know many people. Are there events for both divisions and is orientation mixed between both? Did you guys get to meet some of your current law friends at orientation?
Yes, part timers and full timers mix and mingle. You have equal opportunity to go to any law school event (including Third Thursdays) and you'll meet a lot of people there.

I meet most of my friends prior to orientation. We set up a lot of meet and greets prior to orientation through facebook and the admitted students website. That's always a good idea to meet people outside of your section because a few days of orientation are with your section.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:56 am

BWOD wrote:
km23 wrote:Do PT and FT students mix and mingle? I'm a little worried because i'm in PT but a bit on the younger side (for most PT students) and am worried I won't make many law student friends. I'm also from out of state and don't know many people. Are there events for both divisions and is orientation mixed between both? Did you guys get to meet some of your current law friends at orientation?
Yes, part timers and full timers mix and mingle. You have equal opportunity to go to any law school event (including Third Thursdays) and you'll meet a lot of people there.

I meet most of my friends prior to orientation. We set up a lot of meet and greets prior to orientation through facebook and the admitted students website. That's always a good idea to meet people outside of your section because a few days of orientation are with your section.
By admitted students website, r u referring to the facebook page or is it on the du webpage under admitted students?

I didnt notice a forum on the web page.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”