Denver 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Matthies

Silver

Re: Denver 2013

Post by Matthies » Wed May 05, 2010 11:49 am

lawlec48 wrote:
KidCharlemagne wrote:Is anyone attending the Summer Preview from August 2-6? It seems kinda steep at $460.00, but I have talked to several people at DU who recommend it.
I have long considered doing the Summer Preview, but I have yet to hear or read anyone who suggests it. If you don't mind, why did the people at DU recommend the Summer Preview? I'm still very interested, but without knowing anyone who recommends it, it is hard for me to shell out the extra cash.

Whiskey, I know you were thinking about it too, did you ever decide if you were or were not attending the Summer Preview?
I did the summer preview before my 1L but it was free back then. How much do they charge for it, and is it DU giving it or some company?

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Wed May 05, 2010 12:04 pm

I think the law school preview is 480. I havent decided if i was going to invest the money for it. I end up moving in early july then i might do it, but if i dont get to denver until early august then i probably wont sign up for it.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:17 pm

whiskey wrote:I think the law school preview is 480. I havent decided if i was going to invest the money for it. I end up moving in early july then i might do it, but if i dont get to denver until early august then i probably wont sign up for it.
That is kind of my issue too, I don't know when I'll be moving to Denver. On one hand, I'd like to move tomorrow, on the other, I don't want to miss my last Spring/Summer with friends and family, and we've considered moving at the end of July. Part of it will depend on when my wife gets a job, and if we can find a place. My wife's cousins live in Denver, so we have that advantage. One of her cousins manages a place downtown and used to live there, so she is going to check out some places for us that we've seen online. Do a little drive-by and check out the areas at least.

Whiskey, which places are you looking at downtown?

Lawgirl, I too wasn't overly impressed with the area directly around DU, but it wasn't horrid. I have really considered living near campus, but all the apartments around campus that seem nice are just as expensive as living downtown, and they come furnished, which for me is a negative since I just sold my house and have all kind of my own things.

Denver has so many nice areas that are active and fun, so I'd hate to live outside of these areas and pay the same price, but the thought of living next to campus is intriguing since I plan on more or less living there any ways during 1L.

Shock/Matthies, What are some of the best ways to find housing from afar? Where have you guys lived or would you suggest?

lawgirl99

Bronze

Post by lawgirl99 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
whiskey wrote:I think the law school preview is 480. I havent decided if i was going to invest the money for it. I end up moving in early july then i might do it, but if i dont get to denver until early august then i probably wont sign up for it.
That is kind of my issue too, I don't know when I'll be moving to Denver. On one hand, I'd like to move tomorrow, on the other, I don't want to miss my last Spring/Summer with friends and family, and we've considered moving at the end of July. Part of it will depend on when my wife gets a job, and if we can find a place. My wife's cousins live in Denver, so we have that advantage. One of her cousins manages a place downtown and used to live there, so she is going to check out some places for us that we've seen online. Do a little drive-by and check out the areas at least.

Whiskey, which places are you looking at downtown?

Lawgirl, I too wasn't overly impressed with the area directly around DU, but it wasn't horrid. I have really considered living near campus, but all the apartments around campus that seem nice are just as expensive as living downtown, and they come furnished, which for me is a negative since I just sold my house and have all kind of my own things.

Denver has so many nice areas that are active and fun, so I'd hate to live outside of these areas and pay the same price, but the thought of living next to campus is intriguing since I plan on more or less living there any ways during 1L.

Shock/Matthies, What are some of the best ways to find housing from afar? Where have you guys lived or would you suggest?
I am also looking for a place that is unfurnished as I already have a ton of furniture/things to bring with me. I contemplated selling a lot of my stuff, since I am moving from out-of-state, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. I will also have my car with me so I am not too worried about not living right next to the campus. One thing that is nice about On-Campus housing is that it's convenient. If anyone has any suggestions for finding housing from afar, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

KidCharlemagne

New

Post by KidCharlemagne » Wed May 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Matthies wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:
KidCharlemagne wrote:Is anyone attending the Summer Preview from August 2-6? It seems kinda steep at $460.00, but I have talked to several people at DU who recommend it.
I have long considered doing the Summer Preview, but I have yet to hear or read anyone who suggests it. If you don't mind, why did the people at DU recommend the Summer Preview? I'm still very interested, but without knowing anyone who recommends it, it is hard for me to shell out the extra cash.

Whiskey, I know you were thinking about it too, did you ever decide if you were or were not attending the Summer Preview?
I did the summer preview before my 1L but it was free back then. How much do they charge for it, and is it DU giving it or some company?
As far as I can tell, DU is running it. The cost is $460 for early registration (by July 1) and $560 after that. Interestingly, it is open to non-DU students who plan on attending law school elsewhere.

A few professors I talked to said it would be a good idea to attend. Seems like it is essentially a crash course in 1L - not sure how excited I am about sitting for a 'mock exam' at the end of the week though :|

Website for Summer Preview with FAQ and flyer: http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/aap/bef ... ew-program

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:52 pm

KidCharlemagne wrote:
Matthies wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:

As far as I can tell, DU is running it. The cost is $460 for early registration (by July 1) and $560 after that. Interestingly, it is open to non-DU students who plan on attending law school elsewhere.

A few professors I talked to said it would be a good idea to attend. Seems like it is essentially a crash course in 1L - not sure how excited I am about sitting for a 'mock exam' at the end of the week though :|

Website for Summer Preview with FAQ and flyer: http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/aap/bef ... ew-program
Thanks for the link! The exam at the end of the week seems like it would be good for prep, but I cannot see enough instruction to have a full exam, although getting an idea of the exam would be nice. Granted, I can always just look at past professor exams, do a practice exam and have the professor look over it during office hours too.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:54 pm

[/quote]

I did the summer preview before my 1L but it was free back then. How much do they charge for it, and is it DU giving it or some company?[/quote]

Matthies,

Did you find the summer preview helpful or was it not necessary?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed May 05, 2010 3:08 pm

KidCharlemagne wrote:
Matthies wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:

Seems more advanced and laid out then the class I took five years ago. I liked the class and I was defiantly less sacred first week of classes then I would have been without it, but like I said it was free then. I dunno, is it worth $500? Depends on how unsure you feel about the whole law school type of learning thing. It is completely different than UG or anything else you have done up to this point. I'll say I think the hardest part about 1L is figuring out what works for you individually and what does not. Unfortunately you don't find that out till after first semester grades come out usually.

I will say it won't HURT you take the class, will it help you, i don't know. I know for me that 90% of what other law students said worked or did not work (study wise, or exam wise) did not work for me. i spent most of first year trying out all the different "methods" and ended up just doing things "my way" which is very different than most law students did it, but worked for me as I was 13th in my class at graduation.

For example things that I did NOT do:
Never did a single practice test in law school
Never paid attention is class, seriously, this was a joke among my friends as soon as class started I would zone out and get on the internet, I have bad ADD in addition to dyslexia.

Things I DID do:
Brief every case all through law school I ever read (book briefing) I still do it out of habit now
Read every single page assigned to us, did outside reading when I felt I needed more info.

Like I said, that method worked for me after some trial and error, but would NOT work for most people. I just knew what I was good at and what I was not, and after trying other peoples methods I knew they were not working for me. I am not an auditory learner, never have been, I get the most out of reading about something more than I do hearing about, so I put my energies into that.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed May 05, 2010 3:13 pm

lawlec48 wrote: Thanks for the link! The exam at the end of the week seems like it would be good for prep, but I cannot see enough instruction to have a full exam, although getting an idea of the exam would be nice. Granted, I can always just look at past professor exams, do a practice exam and have the professor look over it during office hours too.
The exam we had at the end of the summer class was not really on substance as much as form. We learned enough "law" in the class to have something to be tested over, but it was more about how to write effective law school exam answers, how to use IRAC, how to argue both sides. etc. So the mock exam was more testing and critiquing your exam skills than it was about the law. The law really is the easy part in law school, for the most part most concepts are not that hard, spitting it back out in the best form for the exams is what most people have the biggest trouble with (and legal writing).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu May 06, 2010 5:38 pm

in general, anytime anyone is coming in to visit Denver, PM me. I live close enough to meet up for beers.

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Wed May 12, 2010 11:36 am

SInce this forum has been dead for the past week i figured i would throw out a question. Does anybody ever get the question about what type of law they want to practice and have no idea what to reply? ONce someone finds out that i am attending law school, that is always the next question and i have nothing to say.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed May 12, 2010 11:55 am

whiskey wrote:SInce this forum has been dead for the past week i figured i would throw out a question. Does anybody ever get the question about what type of law they want to practice and have no idea what to reply? ONce someone finds out that i am attending law school, that is always the next question and i have nothing to say.
yea, that's allways the first question after people find out your a law student or a lawyer. Just say your open to what intrests you after you start

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Wed May 12, 2010 1:34 pm

i usually give a run down of some 1L courses, some specialties examples and say that "i'll kind of decide after getting my feet wet". I'm 3 for 5 on "oh, do the tax law so you can help me with my taxes next year".
*facepalm*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed May 12, 2010 7:18 pm

BTW is snowing here right now

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Wed May 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Matthies wrote:BTW is snowing here right now
shhhhh you're gonna scare the southerners away. yall its not that bad-- its just a weird little 24 hr thing. itll be sunny and 75 again in no time.

cassandrakirsch

New

Post by cassandrakirsch » Thu May 13, 2010 11:51 am

hulababe522 wrote:
km23 wrote:Yay! I paid my depost a couple of days ago. I am riding out 2 waitlists but I feel like they both waitlisted SO many people....so, I am 95% sure I will be in Denver this Fall! I will be visiting the school in June!
Ditto and I'll be visiting in a week. I'm pretty sure I'll love it in Denver, but I'm from Texas so I'm not really looking forward to experiencing a winter. :|

I've lived in Texas my whole life (save for a 4 month stint in China) and I'm still a bit worried about the weather. People have been great at boosting my confidence, but it would be nice if someone could provide individuals coming from the South with some advice on preparing vehicles and adjusting to the weather.

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu May 13, 2010 1:43 pm

cassandrakirsch wrote:I've lived in Texas my whole life (save for a 4 month stint in China) and I'm still a bit worried about the weather. People have been great at boosting my confidence, but it would be nice if someone could provide individuals coming from the South with some advice on preparing vehicles and adjusting to the weather.
cass-

I am Texan. my wife is native Houstonian. things to do to prepare: relax. wear a jacket. and if you wear cowboy hats, switch from straw to wool. theres not bad weather, just bad clothes. hth.

but really, 99% of cars are fine. i've driven a rear wheel drive pick up and a tiny foreign car. no problems really. my tips: if the roads do get icy (doesnt happen very often) don't drive unless you have too. and carry a pair of asphalt roof shingles in your vehicle just in case you get stuck and need extra traction in the slippery conditions. drive slow on ice. deathly slow. with a big texas decal on your car-- and everyone will give you tons of room ;)

another thing is it aint like when snow hits dallas and everybody cant function. up here its normal and the roads get plowed.

if you get up here and your battery sucks, you might need to get a new colder start one.

also utilities bills are reverse bell curve from texas. so it cuts into your xmas money instead of your BBQ & beer money.

PM me if you have specific Q's.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:23 pm

whiskey wrote:SInce this forum has been dead for the past week i figured i would throw out a question. Does anybody ever get the question about what type of law they want to practice and have no idea what to reply? ONce someone finds out that i am attending law school, that is always the next question and i have nothing to say.
Whiskey,

I always get that question too, to which I always respond how I'm up in the air, but give them a couple areas that I'm interested in. It has gotten to the point to where I don't tell them I'm going to law school, instead I tell them I'm going back to graduate school. Half the time they don't question beyond that, the other half they ask what I'm going back for. After I tell them law school, it has become a 50/50 chance they'll ask what type of law. In doing this I've successfully limited the question of type of law down to 1/4 of the people. Plus, I almost feel like I'm bragging when I tell someone I'm going to law school. I don't have a great deal of professionals or family or friends with college degrees, so they get extremely excited and make a big deal about it. I guess going to LS is a big deal, but I don't like feeling like a braggart, even when it is someone else doing the chest pumping for me.

As far as the weather goes, and driving in the snow, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My wife has two cousins and an aunt who live in Denver. I keep noticing FB messages about its snowing one day, but the next its 75 and sunny. I believe it snowed nearly 20 inches two days prior to the open house, but when we got there, there was was no snow to be found. I'd just stay clear of driving in the mountains during the snow storms, that can be some dicey driving conditions.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:30 pm

New Topic Question:

Is everyone else, that is out-of-state, dieing to move to Denver as badly as I am? It is still about two months till I'll be moving (mid-July) but the wait is killing me. It's not like I have nothing to do here (WI), we have plans every weekend between now and mid-July, but I am ready for the new adventure to begin.

Also, are you guys/gals excited to be beginning classes? I've done a little prep so far, and I have enjoyed everything so far, but I don't know if that is just due to my excitement for going to DU and Denver, or if I really like it. Hell, I'm reading the E&E for Civ Pro and I'm enjoying the reading. I don't think it should be as interesting to me as it has been so far, hell all I've read on is personal and subject matter jurisprudence.

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu May 13, 2010 2:31 pm

lawlec what up! hows it going?

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:36 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:lawlec what up! hows it going?
Jtx, things are going pretty good... just ready to move to Denver and start the "fun". I'm glad you guys started posting again, lol, I thought I was the only one checking this thread religiously. I think my wife and I are going to be in Denver the weekend of June 11th, so if you or anyone else wants to meet up for a drink or two, let me know! We are heading out to look downtown for some apartments, hoping to nail down a place for mid-July.

Has anyone else had any success in securing an apartment for next year?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Thu May 13, 2010 2:41 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
jtxcounitah wrote:lawlec what up! hows it going?
Jtx, things are going pretty good... just ready to move to Denver and start the "fun". I'm glad you guys started posting again, lol, I thought I was the only one checking this thread religiously. I think my wife and I are going to be in Denver the weekend of June 11th, so if you or anyone else wants to meet up for a drink or two, let me know! We are heading out to look downtown for some apartments, hoping to nail down a place for mid-July.

Has anyone else had any success in securing an apartment for next year?
d00d, i'm in for beers. i might even priceline a hotel downtown.

I'm headed to Denver Saturday to look at a room/ meet potential roommates near observatory park. one OL, one grad student, one just graduated MBA.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:03 pm

I'll PM or post once I know the exact dates, but I'm pretty sure we will be in town Friday-Sun/Mon. Anyone else in the area who wants to meet up too, let us know!

Good luck checking out the apt. near observatory park, that is pretty close to DU, which would be nice. If you want, feel free to invite the potential roommates too, it would be nice just to meet more DU students and alum.

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Thu May 13, 2010 4:11 pm

lawlec48 wrote:New Topic Question:

Is everyone else, that is out-of-state, dieing to move to Denver as badly as I am? It is still about two months till I'll be moving (mid-July) but the wait is killing me. It's not like I have nothing to do here (WI), we have plans every weekend between now and mid-July, but I am ready for the new adventure to begin.
I am so friggen excited about moving. We just confirmation about our apartment so now i'm planning the logistics of our move. I'm not looking forward the 15 hour drive, but thats why there are red bulls. The wait is killing me because it feels like i'm just spinning my wheels until school starts. I should be moved in by July 15 or so and my other half will be there Aug 1st.

Its funny what you said about not wanting to tell people about going to law school. I always feel like i'm bragging and try to keep it under wraps. BUt once people learn that we're moving then all the questions start coming out and the next thing i know i'm going on and on about law school. The whole time in my head i'm like "shut up, you sound like a douche bag!"

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:58 pm

whiskey wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:New Topic Question:

I am so friggen excited about moving. We just confirmation about our apartment so now i'm planning the logistics of our move. I'm not looking forward the 15 hour drive, but thats why there are red bulls. The wait is killing me because it feels like i'm just spinning my wheels until school starts. I should be moved in by July 15 or so and my other half will be there Aug 1st.

Its funny what you said about not wanting to tell people about going to law school. I always feel like i'm bragging and try to keep it under wraps. BUt once people learn that we're moving then all the questions start coming out and the next thing i know i'm going on and on about law school. The whole time in my head i'm like "shut up, you sound like a douche bag!"
Whiskey,

I know exactly what your talking about... half the time they don't even know what the hell I'm talking about, but they are so interested that I continue talking, knowing how stupid I must look or sound, and if not, at least how stupid I feel.

Which apartment are you moving into? Is it downtown or near campus?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”