SMU Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:03 pm

chrisokc wrote:Why the fuck do they send me an e-mail from financial aid that says I need to go apply for the Grad PLUS loan after I've already obviously done so? It pisses me off that they repeatedly request us to apply for that fucker when it runs a credit check every time. I can see that this financial aid shit is going to plague me well beyond my first year. Can you imagine how bad they're going to fuck it up between you and the government when it comes time to start repaying it?



It's a non-punitive credit check. It doesn't ding your score.

But having said that, I already did all the Grad PLUS apps for this upcoming year. Do I need to do them again? I thought that email was a mistake.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 am

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Why the fuck do they send me an e-mail from financial aid that says I need to go apply for the Grad PLUS loan after I've already obviously done so? It pisses me off that they repeatedly request us to apply for that fucker when it runs a credit check every time. I can see that this financial aid shit is going to plague me well beyond my first year. Can you imagine how bad they're going to fuck it up between you and the government when it comes time to start repaying it?



It's a non-punitive credit check. It doesn't ding your score.

But having said that, I already did all the Grad PLUS apps for this upcoming year. Do I need to do them again? I thought that email was a mistake.

Well, I always do everything again if they ask for it again. It's a hell of a lot easier to repeat something I've already done than it is to speak with someone knowledgeable in the financial aid office.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:42 pm

I got an email today saying I had accepted everything and it was all good as far as Stafford loans go.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 pm

kalvano wrote:I got an email today saying I had accepted everything and it was all good as far as Stafford loans go.

Yup, got that one.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:59 am

If I recall correctly, the PLUS stuff takes longer. I'll probably call anyway.

Ass clowns.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Thoughts on the section 2 profs? Mayo, Palacios, Taylor, Gaba, and Thornburg and my LRW prof Walls?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Thoughts on the section 2 profs? Mayo, Palacios, Taylor, Gaba, and Thornburg and my LRW prof Walls?

None of them taught section 1 last semester, section 2 may have had them though.

I don't know who Walls is but I can promise you that class will suck worse than any of the rest regardless of who teaches it.

User avatar
squ1rtle
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby squ1rtle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Mayo runs an interesting class and tells very interesting stories. He only called on people for about the first couple months of class. Afterwards, he just asked for volunteers. He is also "rumored to have been the model for the Pillsbury doughboy." (his own words) His final consists of multiple choice short answer format. To do good on his exams, answer his questions in IRAC format with perfect syllogism. If you can, support your example with an actual case discussed in the book. Also, you need to negate all the wrong answer choices on his exams and give a good reason why the answer choice does not apply. You should also support every answer with a policy argument. Mayo also teaches literature classes, so he loves clear, concise writing and will reward you for that.

Thornburg can be pretty downright boring at times. But if you are a gunner that's a good thing! Because while the rest of the class is on facebook chat, you will be listening intently to her ramblings and taking detailed notes. I would suggest grabbing her questions and answers book that she published with Prof. Dorsaneo, I found it really helpful. Her exams are what I would call hybrid issue spotters. There will be a main issue to discuss, but every question will involve several "forks in the road." (see Getting to Maybe) It's easy to get tunnel vision on her exams and forget to go down every fork, but to get the maximum points on her exams -- that's what you have to do. Like Mayo, Thornburg will give you extra points for supporting your argument with casebook examples. Unlike Mayo, she is not a stickler with having perfect clear, concise writing. So just try to go over every issue in the fastest manner possible even if that means writing like a chipmunk.

Walls will pretty much outline to you the exact manner in which she wants the memo/brief done. She will give you countless examples of how she want every section done and the "rules" she wants you to follow (ie. passive construction, conjuncts, etc). Moreover, she will go over every assignment with her own example so you can compare your work to hers. So just imitate her exact writing style and you will make a good grade. This, of course, is contingent on doing perfect research as well.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Thoughts on the section 2 profs? Mayo, Palacios, Taylor, Gaba, and Thornburg and my LRW prof Walls?



I have Thornburg too. Weird.

I think I heard good things about Mayo.

User avatar
squ1rtle
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby squ1rtle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:27 pm

kalvano wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Thoughts on the section 2 profs? Mayo, Palacios, Taylor, Gaba, and Thornburg and my LRW prof Walls?



I have Thornburg too. Weird.

I think I heard good things about Mayo.



Are you taking Texas Criminal Procedure?

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Iconoclast » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:39 pm

squ1rtle is dead-on about Thornburg and Mayo. I didn't have Walls.

Additional thoughts... Mayo is funny as hell, and a damn nice guy.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:43 pm

squ1rtle wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Thoughts on the section 2 profs? Mayo, Palacios, Taylor, Gaba, and Thornburg and my LRW prof Walls?



I have Thornburg too. Weird.

I think I heard good things about Mayo.



Are you taking Texas Criminal Procedure?



Pre-Trial Procedure. I think TCP is Udashen.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:05 pm

squ1rtle wrote:Mayo runs an interesting class and tells very interesting stories. He only called on people for about the first couple months of class. Afterwards, he just asked for volunteers. He is also "rumored to have been the model for the Pillsbury doughboy." (his own words) His final consists of multiple choice short answer format. To do good on his exams, answer his questions in IRAC format with perfect syllogism. If you can, support your example with an actual case discussed in the book. Also, you need to negate all the wrong answer choices on his exams and give a good reason why the answer choice does not apply. You should also support every answer with a policy argument. Mayo also teaches literature classes, so he loves clear, concise writing and will reward you for that.

Thornburg can be pretty downright boring at times. But if you are a gunner that's a good thing! Because while the rest of the class is on facebook chat, you will be listening intently to her ramblings and taking detailed notes. I would suggest grabbing her questions and answers book that she published with Prof. Dorsaneo, I found it really helpful. Her exams are what I would call hybrid issue spotters. There will be a main issue to discuss, but every question will involve several "forks in the road." (see Getting to Maybe) It's easy to get tunnel vision on her exams and forget to go down every fork, but to get the maximum points on her exams -- that's what you have to do. Like Mayo, Thornburg will give you extra points for supporting your argument with casebook examples. Unlike Mayo, she is not a stickler with having perfect clear, concise writing. So just try to go over every issue in the fastest manner possible even if that means writing like a chipmunk.

Walls will pretty much outline to you the exact manner in which she wants the memo/brief done. She will give you countless examples of how she want every section done and the "rules" she wants you to follow (ie. passive construction, conjuncts, etc). Moreover, she will go over every assignment with her own example so you can compare your work to hers. So just imitate her exact writing style and you will make a good grade. This, of course, is contingent on doing perfect research as well.


squ1rtle, you are my new hero

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 pm

betasteve wrote:
kalvano wrote:Pre-Trial Procedure. I think TCP is Udashen.

I'm taking Pre-trial with Thornburg, too.



The T / R mid-evening class?

Great. Thanks for making the curve harder.

User avatar
squ1rtle
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby squ1rtle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:16 pm

betasteve wrote:
kalvano wrote:Pre-Trial Procedure. I think TCP is Udashen.

I'm taking Pre-trial with Thornburg, too.


I was chatting with Thornburg last semester about that class and she actually told me to wait till my final year to take it because it would be terribly boring. Unless I was to work somewhere where it was needed, I would not be able to retain it for the bar exam because Texas procedure is very cut and dry and there is generally an exact right and wrong answer to every situation. I believe her final consists of 100 multiple choice problems and that to get an A, a student would have to get about 90+ right.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 pm

It was one of the only classes that fit with my schedule and looked appealing.

Trial work represent!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Cover letters suck. Why would you want to subject yourself to reading the same thing over and over? Even if you personalize it, it's still hundreds of the same thing.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:06 pm

kalvano wrote:Cover letters suck. Why would you want to subject yourself to reading the same thing over and over? Even if you personalize it, it's still hundreds of the same thing.

Who says they read 'em?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Also, if you're going to demand a cover letter, then at least have the decency to put on your firm's website the recruiting coordinator, managing partner, someone to address the damn thing to.

nouseforaname123
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Steve:

Can you please help provide some context to the information OCS provided earlier this week? My calculations are based on the numbers OCS provided at the info session this week.

Asssume ~200 students participate in OCI again. There are ~1500 screening spots available. I rounded down the top 10% from 24.4 students to 24 students.

Assume students in the Top 10% submit an average of 25 bids and get screening interviews on 75% of those bids = 450 screening interviews (25 bids X 24 students X .75)

Assume students between Top 10-25% submit the full 35 bids and convert on 66% of those bids = 831 screening interviews (35 X 36 X .66)

That's ~1280 of the ~ 1500 screening interviews.

I know this year is supposed to be different from 2010; are these figures in the right ballpark?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Can one fairly safely assume that firms that are full of STCL and St. Mary's grads (with no Latin honors / reviews / journals after their names) as recent associates are not as selective as the big firms?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:52 am

OK, maybe I'm slow, but if there is a firm interviewing for multiple offices, such as Fish, we don't have to bid each office separately? We just rank them in order of preference and indicate in a cover letter (if asked for) where and why?

Or am I missing something?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:59 am

Well, I see no other buttons to push to apply separately for different offices. Although it does say "Other locations / bids" and lists them out. Weird.

But if you just rank other offices, and ask in the cover letter, I have way more bids than I thought.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:16 pm

kalvano wrote:Well, I see no other buttons to push to apply separately for different offices. Although it does say "Other locations / bids" and lists them out. Weird.

But if you just rank other offices, and ask in the cover letter, I have way more bids than I thought.

Indeed. I'm pretty stoked that 50+ offices are going to have the opportunity to break my heart (some from several thousand miles away!) at OCI and not just 36. Pretty incredible stuff.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:35 pm

Once you hit apply, you can remove that cover letter from your documents list and the firm will still have access to it, correct?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest