SMU Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby tinyone » Sun May 08, 2011 1:22 pm

How does OCI work, do they have a grade/rank cut off?

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Sun May 08, 2011 5:30 pm

tinyone wrote:How does OCI work, do they have a grade/rank cut off?

I think if you're out of the top 25%, you shouldn't be counting on getting any OCI interviews.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Sun May 08, 2011 6:43 pm

chrisokc wrote:
tinyone wrote:How does OCI work, do they have a grade/rank cut off?

I think if you're out of the top 25%, you shouldn't be counting on getting any OCI interviews.



Everyone is eligible for OCI. Some firm have firm grade cutoffs, some have guidelines. The smaller the firm, the more flexible they tend to be regarding their grade cutoffs. Research firms and bid on whoever interests you.

One of my mentors was top 10% and got nothing from OCI, another was close to bottom 50% and got something. It's all about interviewing skills.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Sun May 08, 2011 6:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
tinyone wrote:How does OCI work, do they have a grade/rank cut off?

I think if you're out of the top 25%, you shouldn't be counting on getting any OCI interviews.



Everyone is eligible for OCI. Some firm have firm grade cutoffs, some have guidelines. The smaller the firm, the more flexible they tend to be regarding their grade cutoffs. Research firms and bid on whoever interests you.

One of my mentors was top 10% and got nothing from OCI, another was close to bottom 50% and got something. It's all about interviewing skills.

Isn't the August OCI only big firms?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Sun May 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Bigger firms. The other one is small and medium. But not all the big firms coming has a top 10% cut-off. They vary.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Wed May 11, 2011 11:53 am

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
tinyone wrote:How does OCI work, do they have a grade/rank cut off?

I think if you're out of the top 25%, you shouldn't be counting on getting any OCI interviews.



Everyone is eligible for OCI. Some firm have firm grade cutoffs, some have guidelines. The smaller the firm, the more flexible they tend to be regarding their grade cutoffs. Research firms and bid on whoever interests you.

One of my mentors was top 10% and got nothing from OCI, another was close to bottom 50% and got something. It's all about interviewing skills.

Isn't the August OCI only big firms?



List so far of firms that will attend August OCI -

Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, L.L.P.: Interviewing for Dallas
Alston & Bird: Interviewing for Dallas
Andrews Kurth LLP : Interviewing for Dallas,Houston
Baker & McKenzie: Interviewing for Dallas
Baker Botts L.L.P.: Interviewing for Dallas
Bickel & Brewer : Interviewing for Dallas
Bracewell & Giuliani, L.L.P.: Interviewing for Dallas, Houston
Brown & Fortunato, P.C.: Interviewing for Amarillo
Cantey & Hanger: Interviewing for Dallas, Fort Worth, Southlake
Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal, L.L.P.: Interviewing for Dallas
Carstens & Cahoon: Interviewing for Dallas
Cox Smith Matthews Incorporated: Interviewing for San Antonio
Figari & Davenport, L.L.P. : Interviewing for Dallas
Fish & Richardson P.C.: Interviewing for Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, DC, Houston, Minneapolis, New York, Silicon Valley, San Diego, Wilmington
Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.: Interviewing for Dallas, San Antonio
Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP: Interviewing for Dallas, Houston
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher: Interviewing for Dallas
Hartline, Dacus, Barger, Dreyer, & Kern, L.L.P: Interviewing for Dallas
Haynes and Boone, LLP: Interviewing for Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Richardson
Jackson Walker L.L.P.: Interviewing for Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Houston
K & L Gates : Interviewing for Dallas
Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell LLP: Interviewing for Dallas, Houston
Looper, Reed & McGraw: Interviewing for Dallas
McKool Smith, P.C.: Interviewing for Austin, Dallas
Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr, P.C.: Interviewing for Dallas
Patton Boggs LLP: Interviewing for Dallas
Slater & Matsil: Interviewing for Dallas
Thompson & Knight LLP: Interviewing for Dallas, Houston
Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P. : Interviewing for Dallas
U. S. Federal Trade Commission: Interviewing for Dallas
Vinson & Elkins L.L.P.: Interviewing for Austin, Dallas, DC, Houston, New York
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP: Interviewing for Dallas, Houston
Winstead PC: Interviewing for Dallas
Zelle, Hofmann, Voelbel, Mason & Gette LLP: Interviewing for Dallas






Just a preliminary list, and expect more names on it as the summer progresses.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby maxpayne » Thu May 12, 2011 8:09 pm

When do grades come out?

User avatar
bass08
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:54 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby bass08 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:10 pm

maxpayne wrote:When do grades come out?


After tuition is due for the fall? lol

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby maxpayne » Thu May 12, 2011 8:11 pm

bass08 wrote:
maxpayne wrote:When do grades come out?


After tuition is due for the fall? lol


Sounds about right.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Thu May 12, 2011 8:21 pm

maxpayne wrote:When do grades come out?

Word is that Crespi has already gone through and graded his 3 times and averaged them just to ensure no bias based on the order they were graded.

Eads is doing three a day except for weekends, federal holidays, and Mimosa Tuesdays so I expect her to be done by the end of June.

Martinez will forget he has exams to grade until his bi-annual exam toss held on he underwood main staircase on June 8th.

Forester will begin the first half of grading doing a nice normal amount of grading every day but then try to cram twice as many per day in for no obvious reason.

Boe is on his porch down in Dimebox grading but it'll take him a while considering how hard he laughs at our feeble attempts to answer governmental immunity questions.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23912
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Thirteen » Thu May 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Write-on makes me want to punch a midget in the dick.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby maxpayne » Thu May 12, 2011 8:24 pm

fathergoose wrote:
maxpayne wrote:When do grades come out?

Word is that Crespi has already gone through and graded his 3 times and averaged them just to ensure no bias based on the order they were graded.

Eads is doing three a day except for weekends, federal holidays, and Mimosa Tuesdays so I expect her to be done by the end of June.

Martinez will forget he has exams to grade until his bi-annual exam toss held on he underwood main staircase on June 8th.

Forester will begin the first half of grading doing a nice normal amount of grading every day but then try to cram twice as many per day in for no obvious reason.

Boe is on his porch down in Dimebox grading but it'll take him a while considering how hard he laughs at our feeble attempts to answer governmental immunity questions.



hahahahahahahahah....THIS

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Fri May 13, 2011 8:16 am

There really is an Old Dime Box, TX.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Fri May 13, 2011 9:38 am

Thirteen wrote:Write-on makes me want to punch a midget in the dick.



Midget-hater.

I used to have to grade English papers written by public-schooled 8th graders. This is actually easier.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby maxpayne » Fri May 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Teachers are "supposed" to have grades in by June 10th. So, it's looking like we will get them during the week of June 13th through the 17th.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 pm

We will know about write-on results before resumes and such are due for OCI.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Fri May 27, 2011 8:44 pm

We will either get our grades before the end of time, or we won't get them at all.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23912
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Thirteen » Fri May 27, 2011 8:46 pm

We all passed K's!

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Thirteen wrote:We all passed K's!

There you go, we all have big bucks in our futures.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm assuming that email from Locke Lord was a mass email blast and that I am not a special snowflake.

DavidB
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby DavidB » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:20 pm

kalvano wrote:I'm assuming that email from Locke Lord was a mass email blast and that I am not a special snowflake.


Mine started with "Dear appl_nm_frst:" so it's most likely a form letter. They were very impressed with my resume! :)

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:00 pm

I have never gotten an e-mail from a firm.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 pm

chrisokc wrote:I have never gotten an e-mail from a firm.



Did you do the resume book thing?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Also, I hate having to go back and forth on Symplicity, so I made a list of firms for OCI and their respective offices and requirements.

Here:


1) Akin-Gump – outstanding academic credentials
2) Alston & Bird – top 25%; journal preferred
3) Andrews-Kurth – top 15% required
4) Baker & McKenzie – proven academic success
5) Baker-Botts – top 10% / some flexibility
6) Bickel & Brewer (Dallas and NY) – top 10% required
7) Bracewell & Giuliani – nothing listed
8) Brown & Fortunato (Amarillo) – top 25%; LR
9) Cantey & Hanger (Dallas, Ft. Worth, Southlake) – top 25%
10) Carrington, Coleman, Sloman, & Blumenthal – top 15% required; LR / journal preferred
11) Carstens & Cahoon – IP boutique, requires hard scienece or engineering undergrad
12) Chamberlain, Hrdlicka, White, Williams & Martin (Houston) – nothing listed
13) Cox Smith Matthews Inc. (San Antonio) – top 33% required, journal / moot or mock pref.
14) Exxon-Mobil (D.C. & Houston – D.C. requires all summer) – top 40%; journal pref.
15) Figari & Davenport – top 25%; LR
16) Fish & Richardson (11 offices) – top 25%; strong writing; patent prosecution requires tech.
17) Fulbright & Jaworski (Dallas) – journal preferred but not required
18) Fulbright & Jaworski (San Antonio) – journal preferred but not required
19) Gardere Wynne Sewell (Dallas and Houston) – nothing listed
20) Gibson, Dunn, & Crutcher (several offices) – outstanding academics; evidence of teamwork
21) Greenburg Traurig – top 15%-20% preferred
22) Harris, Finley, & Bogle (Ft. Worth) – top 25%
23) Hartline Dacus Barger Dreyer (Dallas and Corpus Christi) – top 1/3; LR; moot / mock
24) Haynes & Boone (Dallas, Ft. Worth, Richardson, San Antonio) – top 15% required; LR pref.
25) Hunton & Williams (Dallas, Miami, LA, Atlanta, NY, Richmond) – top 5%, LR pref.
26) Jackson-Walker (Dallas) – top 25%
27) Jackson-Walker (Auston, San Antonio, Ft. Worth) – top 25%
28) K&L Gates – prefer top 15%; LR / journal / m/m preferred
29) Kelly, Hart, & Hallman (Ft. Worth) – nothing listed
30) Locke, Lorde, Bissell, & Liddell – top 15%; extracurriculars highly recommended
31) Looper Reed McGraw – top 30%
32) McKool Smith – (Dallas and Austin) – top 25%; LR preferred; engineering undergrad pref.
33) Morgan Lewis & Bockius (several offices) – not interviewing for Dallas / Houston, no reqs.
34) Munsch, Hart, Kopf, & Harr – prefer top 33%
35) Orgain, Bell, & Tucker (Beaumont) – nothing listed
36) Patton Boggs – op 15%; LR preferred
37) Slater & Matsil – nothing listed
38) Thompson & Knight (Dallas) – prefer top 10%-15%, LR
39) Thompson & Knight (Houston) – prefer top 10%-15%. LR
40) Thompson, Coe, Cousins, & Irons – nothing listed
41) US Federal Trade Commission (Dallas) – excellent research and writing skills
42) Vinson & Elkins (Dallas, Houston, Austin) – nothing listed
43) Weil, Gotshal, & Manges – nothing listed
44) Winstead – top 25% required, LR preferred
45) Zelle, Hoffman, Voelbel, & Mason – nothing listed

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:25 am

Fish and Richardson. I watched about five attorneys from there in action last week. These guys were so fucking good it made me want to drop out of school from fear of inadequacy. One of their attorneys absolutely destroyed an expert witness. The witness was a PhD in finance, and this attorney embarrassed him in front of God and country.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests