SMU Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
fathergoose wrote:It fits well with the narrative OCS is spinning. Plus think how good it will look on brochures to see a crowded room of 1Ls mixing it up with big law firms.



1L's jammed into an overheated room for an hour to try and shake as many hands as possible. 1L's will mix up partner names on Friday, and partners will wish they were home by the fire drinking Macallan 25 Year Old all night.

Come Friday afternoon, 85% - 90% of the 1L's will realize they wasted their time on Thursday night when they could have been relaxing.

Therefore, you will either be one of the 85-90% who realize you wasted your time by going, or you will be one of the 10-15% who realize you didn't need to go anyway.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:06 pm

chrisokc wrote:Therefore, you will either be one of the 85-90% who realize you wasted your time by going, or you will be one of the 10-15% who realize you didn't need to go anyway.


But...free booze?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 pm

fathergoose wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Therefore, you will either be one of the 85-90% who realize you wasted your time by going, or you will be one of the 10-15% who realize you didn't need to go anyway.


But...free booze?



I have better quality booze at home.

Plus, I don't want to get out on the roads. Wetness + freezing weather + Texans = calamity.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:20 pm

kalvano wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Therefore, you will either be one of the 85-90% who realize you wasted your time by going, or you will be one of the 10-15% who realize you didn't need to go anyway.


But...free booze?



I have better quality booze at home.

Plus, I don't want to get out on the roads. Wetness + freezing weather + Texans = calamity.

The cons are heavier. Home it is.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Any word?

Do I need to start preparing myself for grades not coming out today?

DavidB
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby DavidB » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:42 pm

fathergoose wrote:Any word?

Do I need to start preparing myself for grades not coming out today?

I assume they wait to release grades until the last staff has left campus for the weekend.

Today marks 60 days since we turned in our memos.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23858
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Thirteen » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:44 pm

DavidB wrote:
fathergoose wrote:Any word?

Do I need to start preparing myself for grades not coming out today?

I assume they wait to release grades until the last staff has left campus for the weekend.

Today marks 60 days since we turned in our memos.


The 1L's received their grades last year on a Friday before noon.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby maxpayne » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Just received word from a very reliable SMU 1L that grades will be posted by 5 today. He talked to the Registrar in person. However, class ranks will not be out for another few weeks.

User avatar
bass08
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:54 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby bass08 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:07 pm

maxpayne wrote:Just received word from a very reliable SMU 1L that grades will be posted by 5 today. He talked to the Registrar in person. However, class ranks will not be out for another few weeks.


Aaaahhh. Can't. Handle. The. Pressure. !

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:36 pm

For reference, I found this -

Image

DavidB
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby DavidB » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:51 pm

My 1E grades are up!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Grades are coming out.

User avatar
bass08
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:54 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby bass08 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Got my 1E grades also. I'm pretty happy with the result, especially since I was terrified to begin with!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:04 pm

So what's the median?

DavidB
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby DavidB » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 pm

kalvano wrote:So what's the median?

It looks like OCS has posted some updated percentiles, at least for 1Ls:

http://www.law.smu.edu/Career-Services/ ... Ranks.aspx

Top 33%: 3.200
Top 50%: 3.037

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:20 pm

DavidB wrote:
kalvano wrote:So what's the median?

It looks like OCS has posted some updated percentiles, at least for 1Ls:

http://www.law.smu.edu/Career-Services/ ... Ranks.aspx

Top 33%: 3.200
Top 50%: 3.037



I saw that.

Son of a bitch.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Really? We are still expected to do all our stuff for legal writing despite not having been instructed how to do it?

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby mbusch22 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:59 pm

kalvano wrote:Really? We are still expected to do all our stuff for legal writing despite not having been instructed how to do it?


Yeah this is kind of BS. Which is exactly what I'm going to give them if I have to turn something in on Tuesday.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:03 am

kalvano wrote:Really? We are still expected to do all our stuff for legal writing despite not having been instructed how to do it?

I guess I'm expected to print all 200 pages of that shit? Wrong.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:56 am

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:Really? We are still expected to do all our stuff for legal writing despite not having been instructed how to do it?

I guess I'm expected to print all 200 pages of that shit? Wrong.



Ha. Did you see the Lucas case?

It's a text file, completely unformatted. It looks like it's from 1989.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:44 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:Really? We are still expected to do all our stuff for legal writing despite not having been instructed how to do it?

I guess I'm expected to print all 200 pages of that shit? Wrong.



Ha. Did you see the Lucas case?

It's a text file, completely unformatted. It looks like it's from 1989.

Pitiful. The faculty is acting like children. Every day, one of them would send an "updated syllabus" when it was abundantly clear that we weren't finished having snow days. Why not just chill the fuck out, wait for the stuff to start melting, and reevaluate? Jesus, just cut the last week's worth of material. It's bad enough that our contracts teacher feels justified in turning his three-hour semester into a four-hour semester and his two-hour semester into a three-hour semester by the use of the "optional review sessions." Of course this is done under the guise of being helpful. Thank God all of the teachers aren't so enthusiastic. I'm not sure if I could squeeze in five more "optional" hours per week.

With the LRWA material, it's like, "By God, I've gone to the trouble of making this big white binder overflowing with busy work, and y'all are going to by-God do it."

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:56 pm

chrisokc wrote:With the LRWA material, it's like, "By God, I've gone to the trouble of making this big white binder overflowing with busy work, and y'all are going to by-God do it."



Yeah, pretty much. But now we are just supposed to "familiarize" ourselves with 200+ pages of material for class. I guess they got a lot of emails or something.

I really hate reading off a computer screen.

Also, LOL at your dislike of Crespi.

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby wellington » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:14 pm

The vast majority of LRWA last semester was completely useless. I don't know why I expected this semester to be any different ...

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:46 pm

wellington wrote:The vast majority of LRWA last semester was completely useless. I don't know why I expected this semester to be any different ...



I'm amused at how much time people spent worrying over and trying to perfect assignments that are, essentially, completion grades.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:18 pm

kalvano wrote:
wellington wrote:The vast majority of LRWA last semester was completely useless. I don't know why I expected this semester to be any different ...



I'm amused at how much time people spent worrying over and trying to perfect assignments that are, essentially, completion grades.

I will say that the second assignment for which we got feedback, which was submitted before we got feedback for the first assignment, made all the difference for me. I bitch relentlessly about LRWA, but it helped my GPA.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest