SMU Class of 2013/2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:21 pm

kalvano wrote:Pssh. Like it's still in that account.

Overseas in Lichtenstein at the click of a mouse.

I sent mine to a Nigerian prince. Supposedly I've won their lottery and he just needs the money to process my check.

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Iconoclast » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 pm

kalvano wrote:
wellington wrote:
kalvano wrote:There's still about a $700 discrepancy.


Did you waive the student health insurance for the spring semester? It's $715.



There is absolutely no difference between this semester and last semester. I'll call the FA office soon when I am relaxed, because such a call is sure to make me want to shoot Stan Eddy.


lol at the thought of Stan actually answering his phone. He's harder to find than Waldo.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:21 am

Grades should be this Friday.

About damn time.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23854
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Thirteen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:28 am

kalvano wrote:Grades should be this Friday.

About damn time.


Before class, I talked to Martinez about how we were all anticipating receiving grades this Friday afternoon. He cryptically replied that the deadline for turning in grades hadn't yet passed, then changed the subject.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 am

Martinez hasn't had time to throw the exams down the staircase yet, hopefully he gets to that tomorrow.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:57 am

Thirteen wrote:
kalvano wrote:Grades should be this Friday.

About damn time.


Before class, I talked to Martinez about how we were all anticipating receiving grades this Friday afternoon. He cryptically replied that the deadline for turning in grades hadn't yet passed, then changed the subject.

I doubt we get grades this week. Just a hunch.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:45 am

I was talking with a neighbor in class. She emailed the registrar. 1L grades are due on Thursday.

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby wellington » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:34 pm

kalvano wrote:I was talking with a neighbor in class. She emailed the registrar. 1L grades are due on Thursday.


Guess we should be trolling the stairwells of Storey Hall later today to catch Martinez "grading" our exams.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby maxpayne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:45 pm

After talking to my Legal Writing professor and a few 2Ls, we most likely will have grades Friday afternoon. Which makes sense so all of us will have time to cool off over the weekend. Well, at least 85% of us.

User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby maxpayne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 pm

maxpayne wrote:After talking to my Legal Writing professor and a few 2Ls, we most likely will have grades Friday afternoon. Which makes sense so all of us will have time to cool off over the weekend. Well, at least 85% of us.


Stratch that. Forrester has not finished grading yet. LOL.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:00 pm

maxpayne wrote:
maxpayne wrote:After talking to my Legal Writing professor and a few 2Ls, we most likely will have grades Friday afternoon. Which makes sense so all of us will have time to cool off over the weekend. Well, at least 85% of us.


Stratch that. Forrester has not finished grading yet. LOL.

Forrester is still actively reading our exams. We took her exam during the first week. Her exam was the shortest. Interesting.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:54 pm

maxpayne wrote:After talking to my Legal Writing professor and a few 2Ls, we most likely will have grades Friday afternoon. Which makes sense so all of us will have time to cool off over the weekend. Well, at least 85% of us.




It's the same theory behind firing people on Friday. Less chance of an "incident".

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 pm

So frustrating. There was only a one hour written portion on Forrester's exam and she only has one section. She's had what..6 weeks to grade these?

At least Martinez is having to sort through 3 hours of our drivel, so he has more of an excuse.

And yes I think it's just like firing on a Friday, we can go on our 48 hour grief bender and be back in class on Monday.

On a separate note, not that it really matters, Access will be down for a couple hours tomorrow night but I think it's while we are the "Meet the Firms" thing. Speaking of that, from what I gathered in the email they want us to bring our resumes and beg for summer internships?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:14 pm

fathergoose wrote:Speaking of that, from what I gathered in the email they want us to bring our resumes and beg for summer internships?



They said not to. Which means do so.

I don't think I am going to go. "Hi, I met you at the 'Meet The Firms' night" carries a lot less weight than "Hi, I'm in top 10%."

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:54 pm

kalvano wrote: "Hi, I met you at the 'Meet The Firms' night" carries a lot less weight than "Hi, I'm in top 10%."


I agree with that. I think that's why this is scheduled before grades come out so it's not just the top 15% of our class talking to firms and the rest of us sadly drinking the free booze in the corner. Speaking of, is there free booze at this shindig?

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:44 am

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote: "Hi, I met you at the 'Meet The Firms' night" carries a lot less weight than "Hi, I'm in top 10%."


I agree with that. I think that's why this is scheduled before grades come out so it's not just the top 15% of our class talking to firms and the rest of us sadly drinking the free booze in the corner. Speaking of, is there free booze at this shindig?

If that's the case, I don't like their reasoning. There is no reason for at least three quarters of the class to attend. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the firms and to the students at the top of the class to hold this event after the grades come out?

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23854
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 pm

chrisokc wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote: "Hi, I met you at the 'Meet The Firms' night" carries a lot less weight than "Hi, I'm in top 10%."


I agree with that. I think that's why this is scheduled before grades come out so it's not just the top 15% of our class talking to firms and the rest of us sadly drinking the free booze in the corner. Speaking of, is there free booze at this shindig?

If that's the case, I don't like their reasoning. There is no reason for at least three quarters of the class to attend. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the firms and to the students at the top of the class to hold this event after the grades come out?


Career Services is trying to give us all a chance to meet with the firms, since networking is more important than grades. Remember, it isn't their job to find jobs for us :roll:

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 pm

It fits well with the narrative OCS is spinning. Plus think how good it will look on brochures to see a crowded room of 1Ls mixing it up with big law firms.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23854
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:49 pm

fathergoose wrote:It fits well with the narrative OCS is spinning. Plus think how good it will look on brochures to see a crowded room of 1Ls mixing it up with big law firms.


I'm sure that I'll have my picture taken a few times for recruiting brochures, and don't think it will be because of my smile or warm demeanor.

DavidB
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby DavidB » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Thirteen wrote:
fathergoose wrote:It fits well with the narrative OCS is spinning. Plus think how good it will look on brochures to see a crowded room of 1Ls mixing it up with big law firms.

I'm sure that I'll have my picture taken a few times for recruiting brochures, and don't think it will be because of my smile or warm demeanor.

Cynics! :)

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Thirteen wrote:I'm sure that I'll have my picture taken a few times for recruiting brochures, and don't think it will be because of my smile or warm demeanor.


Is it because you are tall? or maybe a sharp dresser? ah I bet it's because you went to UT and they want to have a commercial on the new UT tv network.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Thirteen wrote:
fathergoose wrote:It fits well with the narrative OCS is spinning. Plus think how good it will look on brochures to see a crowded room of 1Ls mixing it up with big law firms.


I'm sure that I'll have my picture taken a few times for recruiting brochures, and don't think it will be because of my smile or warm demeanor.

So you'll be going shirtless?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby fathergoose » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 pm

chrisokc wrote:So you'll be going shirtless?


On a horse no doubt

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23854
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:13 pm

fathergoose wrote:
chrisokc wrote:So you'll be going shirtless?


On a horse no doubt


Image

:lol:

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:01 pm

fathergoose wrote:It fits well with the narrative OCS is spinning. Plus think how good it will look on brochures to see a crowded room of 1Ls mixing it up with big law firms.



1L's jammed into an overheated room for an hour to try and shake as many hands as possible. 1L's will mix up partner names on Friday, and partners will wish they were home by the fire drinking Macallan 25 Year Old all night.

Come Friday afternoon, 85% - 90% of the 1L's will realize they wasted their time on Thursday night when they could have been relaxing.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests