SMU Class of 2013/2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
holdencaulfield

Bronze

Re: SMU Class of 2013/2014

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:35 pm

kalvano wrote:I already promised my dad he could do the family hooding thing, and he is really, really looking forward to it, otherwise I would.

That's actually really cool. Irregardless of my previous advice, I would go to the ceremony for that.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 pm

I am still uncertain how the whole deal with McKnight works. It sounds like it must be a joke. I've never seen a living person move slower.

1abc23

New

Post by 1abc23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

Anyone have anything to say about Stahl for ADR? Any input would be appreciated.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Fri May 31, 2013 10:34 am

How was the hooding ceremony?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

It was OK. Not as amazing as the Dean made it out to be, and bloody hot, but mainly on time and well-managed. Started right about 6:30 and wound up 15 minutes late, at 8:45. Kind of a madhouse after, and none of the school administrators were very clear on what the procedures were. I'm glad I went only because I got to stand up there with my dad, which he really, really liked. And I like having my dad in the pictures a lot better than Dorsaneo or Ngyuen.

I think the voting for professors to do the hooding is rigged.

The Dean was surprisingly and mercifully brief. Rebekah Bell was kind of snooty with people about not wearing a tie. All in all, it wasn't terrible, just hot. If your family really wants you to go, it's not that bad. If you can do the family hooding thing, it's definitely worthwhile.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Fri May 31, 2013 2:09 pm

That doesn't sound too bad. Congrats to you all.

majnana

New

Post by majnana » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:34 pm

Do any graduates have the lowdown on SMU's policy (if one) on 2L/3L scholarships? I have heard anecdotes of law schools giving full rides or at least increased scholarship money to 2L's and 3L's who are ranked -insert top 10%, top 5%, or top of the class here - and other schools that do not automatically give "retention" scholarships, but will sometimes increase scholarships in order to prevent top students from transferring out.

It would be a spiffy extra-incentive to get great grades (not that anyone needs more motivation than a terrible job market, anyway). I didn't find anything on SMU's website in the scholarship section about 2L/3L schollys given out specifically for grades or class rank. It seems to mostly mention writing competitions.

I just wondered if anyone knew of this practice happening at SMU since it apparently happens at other schools.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 pm

majnana wrote:Do any graduates have the lowdown on SMU's policy (if one) on 2L/3L scholarships? I have heard anecdotes of law schools giving full rides or at least increased scholarship money to 2L's and 3L's who are ranked -insert top 10%, top 5%, or top of the class here - and other schools that do not automatically give "retention" scholarships, but will sometimes increase scholarships in order to prevent top students from transferring out.

It would be a spiffy extra-incentive to get great grades (not that anyone needs more motivation than a terrible job market, anyway). I didn't find anything on SMU's website in the scholarship section about 2L/3L schollys given out specifically for grades or class rank. It seems to mostly mention writing competitions.

I just wondered if anyone knew of this practice happening at SMU since it apparently happens at other schools.
3L here. Never heard of this at SMU and given their lack of negotiating scholarships before law school, I strongly doubt it's a possibility

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:53 pm

majnana wrote:Do any graduates have the lowdown on SMU's policy (if one) on 2L/3L scholarships? I have heard anecdotes of law schools giving full rides or at least increased scholarship money to 2L's and 3L's who are ranked -insert top 10%, top 5%, or top of the class here - and other schools that do not automatically give "retention" scholarships, but will sometimes increase scholarships in order to prevent top students from transferring out.

I Tried. I Failed. Was at tippy top of class.

Perhaps I'm just not that convincing, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”