FIU - Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Lawof_theLand

New

FIU - Class of 2013

Post by Lawof_theLand » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Congrats and welcome to FIU.

Looking forward to the next Admitted Students Day and meeting all of you.

Go Panthers!

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Re: FIU - Class of 2013

Post by lawschoolgiant » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Anyone on here going to the Part Time Program?

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Anyone on here going to the Part Time Program?
I am.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Awesome...so am I. Whats your story...job, marital status etc.

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 pm

I am married and work in the public sector, land conservation.

I'm going part time because I work and live about an hour & 15 minutes to the North, but straight up the turnpike so it won't be that bad. When I was working on my MS at FSU I had a 3 hour commute to Tallahassee, but that was a much nicer drive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Lawof_theLand wrote:I am married and work in the public sector, land conservation.

I'm going part time because I work and live about an hour & 15 minutes to the North, but straight up the turnpike so it won't be that bad. When I was working on my MS at FSU I had a 3 hour commute to Tallahassee, but that was a much nicer drive.
Are you going to be driving an hour and 15 minutes back and forth everyday???????? that's 2.5 hours of valuable time, and if on top of that you work, that seems like you won't have much time for anything else... I don't know... I worked all throughout college and did college in less than two years, which means that I took between 7 and 8 classes per semester, and even with that background I find myself unable to do anything other than law school. Full time students only have one class more than part time students.

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Not ideal, but better than Nova.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Lawof_theLand wrote:Not ideal, but better than Nova.

I agree. I'm just saying because I'm also married and have responsibilities other than law school, and I find myself unable to deal with a lot of those responsibilities due to the demands of law school. I am in the full time program, and you REALLY have to try hard to do well at FIU.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:41 am

Lawof_theLand wrote:I am married and work in the public sector, land conservation.

I am married also, live about 15 minutes to the south...work in real estate...very excited about FIU. I have heard nothing but great things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:15 pm

Facebook Group for FIU admits/attendees

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120109724671210

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:57 pm

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:39 pm

thanks for posting.

vv9891

New

Post by vv9891 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Hey guys. I am an admitted student for Fall 10' in the full-time program. Do you guys know where the orientation packets will be posted? Also, how do I know which section I am in? I'm definitely hoping to get a good schedule.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 pm

vv9891 wrote:Hey guys. I am an admitted student for Fall 10' in the full-time program. Do you guys know where the orientation packets will be posted? Also, how do I know which section I am in? I'm definitely hoping to get a good schedule.
You will be told your section when you receive your orientation packet. You will learn your schedule at that time too. you receive the orientation packet in the mail a few weeks before orientation. (I don't really remember when we got ours but I would say three weeks to a month before. i remember buying all my books before going on my honeymoon and that was two weeks before law school started. Orientation is the week before law schools starts and it is wayyy too long!!!

If it is like last year they will send you a case with your orientation packet so you can brief it and bring it to orientation, where your legal writing professor will give you the basics of briefing cases (you will have to brief cases your first day or law school) Also, your contracts professor will be Professor Scott Norberg, who is an excellent professor, but make sure your brief all the cases because he won't let you read from the book. Also, if you seat on the back you will be called on more often. His class is lots of fun!

vv9891

New

Post by vv9891 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Sweet, thanks a lot! Any tips of advice for the first year/semester?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:39 pm

vv9891 wrote:Sweet, thanks a lot! Any tips of advice for the first year/semester?

study/study and study. You do not want to be in the group of 35 kids or so who end up having to take Legal Reasoning their second semester. You have to take that class if your GPA falls below a 2.4 and taking it means that you are not allowed to do Legal Writing II, that you can't participate in law review unless your GPA goes above a 2.4 etc... A lot of people will go to happy hours and hang out a lot. If you can do both, then fine, but there are very few people who can pull a great GPA and still go out every weekend. Also, if after your second semester you have less than a 2.0 you will get kicked out from school Remember, this is not Harvard, where grade inflation exists. FIU has a grade deflation system and falling below a 2.0 is not as hard as it may seem. Someone went from a 2.7 to a 1.9 this year... The poor kid got kicked out. Having a bad semester can cost you a lot.

Also, some people find it useful to use supplements. However, my first semester I did not use one and I did better than my second semester, when I did use supplements. You just have to focus on what the professor wants. Go to class and pay attention. If you miss more than 4 classes, you can't take the final!

I'll be happy to share the outlines I have with any of you. I think I still have a couple of them (my hard drive crashed not too long ago) but I had back up for some of that stuff.

I have As in Civ Pro, Contracts, Legal Writing II and International Law, so I guess those are the outlines that would be most useful to you, but I'd be happy to share any other ones.

vv9891

New

Post by vv9891 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 am

That would be very helpful to me and I appreciate it!! Thanks in advance! Congrats on the As!! That's what I'm shooting for.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:15 pm

The orientation page changed today on the website with new links that are not active as of yet.

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:14 pm

The booklist has been updated for fall classes as well

--LinkRemoved--

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:04 pm

vv9891 wrote:That would be very helpful to me and I appreciate it!! Thanks in advance! Congrats on the As!! That's what I'm shooting for.

I dont want to upset you, but that's what everyone is shooting for. Unfortunately, only very few get it. I was lucky to get those 4 As... but trust me, my performance in the classes I did not get As on was nothing to go crazy about. It is very difficult to just get As all throughout. I don't know anyone who has done it yet. Number 1 in my class has a GPA of 3.6, so that should give you an indication of how tough it is to get As at FIU. However, the same way I tell you this, I tell you to not be discouraged and to shoot for those As. It is only by trying that you can get there.

Good luck, and just let me know if when school starts you feel you need the outlines, and I will send them over.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:47 pm

Lawof_theLand wrote:The booklist has been updated for fall classes as well

--LinkRemoved--

There are quite a few C section classes, how do I know which ones I will be in? I think there is crim, torts, prop and contracts, which will I be in, would I know yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:49 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
Lawof_theLand wrote:The booklist has been updated for fall classes as well

--LinkRemoved--

There are quite a few C section classes, how do I know which ones I will be in? I think there is crim, torts, prop and contracts, which will I be in, would I know yet?
torts, contracts and LSVI (legal writing) first semester.

vv9891

New

Post by vv9891 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:41 am

rbgrocio wrote:
vv9891 wrote:That would be very helpful to me and I appreciate it!! Thanks in advance! Congrats on the As!! That's what I'm shooting for.

I dont want to upset you, but that's what everyone is shooting for. Unfortunately, only very few get it. I was lucky to get those 4 As... but trust me, my performance in the classes I did not get As on was nothing to go crazy about. It is very difficult to just get As all throughout. I don't know anyone who has done it yet. Number 1 in my class has a GPA of 3.6, so that should give you an indication of how tough it is to get As at FIU. However, the same way I tell you this, I tell you to not be discouraged and to shoot for those As. It is only by trying that you can get there.

Good luck, and just let me know if when school starts you feel you need the outlines, and I will send them over.

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I expect it to be but I'm not worried too much. I'm a serious student and I won't be working or doing anything else, just school, so we'll see. It's crazy though that the highest GPA is 3.6 -- That is a bit discouraging. Anyways, I look forward to the challenge and I'll let you know if I need them, thx

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:13 pm

Registration and orientation info posted today. Also first week assignments.

--LinkRemoved--

Tight deadline for immunization proof and registration fee: next Friday!!
They also need another set of transcripts, not the one in the LSDAS report.

Oh well, time to get busy!

vv9891

New

Post by vv9891 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:42 pm

I see that Legal Skills I is offered 3 times a week and there are no sections. Does that mean that the class meets 3 times a week or are those different sections?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”