Seton Hall Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
amclane

New

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Post by amclane » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:35 pm

ANYWAY, back to the original purpose of this thread.. I started a facebook group for our class.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 7318533987

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:14 pm

anyway, is anyone commuting from morris county? i'd like to start a 1L carpool.

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:25 pm

lawschoolblows wrote:My blog does not feature adwords. I make nothing from the blog. It is purely a public service and has [strike]dissuaded humdreds of people from making the mistake of law school[/strike] done nothing except give me a way to procrastinate from sending out job resumes.
FTFY

lawschoolblows

New

Post by lawschoolblows » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 pm

You guys could always gun for a gig at the NJ AG's office. Of course, the salary is 0 dollars:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121274655

Love this quote:

"With the hiring freeze expected to last indefinitely and lots of lawyers looking for work, Milgram dreamed up the volunteer program. More than 100 people applied and more than 60 have been placed. They do research, take depositions, and sometimes appear in court, but usually as the second chair attorney."

You're about to enter a school that virtually guarantees you won't get Biglaw. You're going to waste 3 years of your youth and take out non-dischargable debt to enter an industry where people are fighting for the chance to work for free! Imagine how fun it'll be to tell your friends and family that you attended 7 years of school and passed the bar'zam to become a "volunteer." Hell, one guy in the story is driving 2 hours each way to earn nothing! Hell, only 60% of the kids who wanted this gig got an offer! And yet you guys think these $12 an hour craigslist ads are somehow "outliers" or reserved for the anchorman at thomas cooley. I'm not the only one saying this either. Look at this ATL post:

abovethelaw.com/2010/04/the-hubris-of-would-be-lawyers/

Kids, NJ is broke. Most county legal aid and DA positions also have the hiring freezes in effect. My buddy volunteered at the Bergen County Public Defender's office full time for 6 months and got no-offered.

Also see this spiffy Big Debt post on the farce of "public interest" work:

--LinkRemoved--

It's mind boggling how dismissive of reality all of you are. Just think, a few short years ago these unpaid volunteers were you guys. Betcha they all thought if they missed the OCI cutoff that "things would still work out" and "they'd still be lawyers" etc. Look how it turned out for them.

Seton Hall Law is in reality no different than ITT Tech or Devry or the other matchbook cover/ TV ad scam schools. In fact they're even worse, since at least those places actually teach you auto repair etc and give you some wrenches and tools with your tution. Seton Hall gives you nothing but an embarssment of a degree that most alums leave off their resume altogether. My own SH sheepskin went in the dumpster years ago, since I found a nice print that I wanted to put in the frame instead.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:06 pm

they get it man, lay off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

audrey hepburn

New

Post by audrey hepburn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:21 pm

:shock:
Last edited by audrey hepburn on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Have you heard of Lexapro? Google it and ask your doctor about it. I'm serious.
The guy brought a bunch of factual articles to the discussion and the best you have is a really weak ad hominem attack? Perhaps you can regale us with lots of recent SHU success stories (talking grads out of the past year or two).

What I mean to say is that posting something constructive to rebut the other poster's facts would be much more useful.

actuallybasically

New

Post by actuallybasically » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi SH Law People--

I will be seeing you there this Fall. Wootwoot!

LegalPink

New

Post by LegalPink » Sat May 01, 2010 4:57 pm

glad to see you guys are ignoring the haters like "lawschoolblows" and all the shit on JD Underground. I'm a 1L (sooo close to being a 2L) at SHU and I'll be honest, law school is hard. From what I understand, many scholarship students are together in the same section, but we DID NOT have the professor's that one of the earlier posters mentioned. In fact, we had a few of the better/more seasoned and well-known Professors. I'm studying for finals, but I can answer questioned about the school or the area - I live in Newark now so I know a bit about it and I grew up in North Jersey. Feel free to PM me :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LateNight

Bronze

Post by LateNight » Mon May 03, 2010 3:17 am

:shock:

DeanHobbsisMyHero

New

Post by DeanHobbsisMyHero » Tue May 11, 2010 7:43 pm

Why cant losers like LSB keep to himself and his parent's basement? I'm sure his dad is proud of his top 18% finish. I feel bad that you dont have money to burn like i do, but 150k is well worth the price of admission to smoke cigars with such legal scholars as Dean Hobbs as i prepare to take over my dad's law firm. I mean, this is the number one school in the state of New Jersey, it has to be well respected.

LSB i'm really not sure what you are talking about, i see plenty of SHU law grads working near campus. just last month i was at the Devils game and saw a 1L serving me beer, a 2L taking my ticket and another 2L cleaning up after my drunk girlfriend booted in the 209 handicap stall.

jesslovesmusic

New

Post by jesslovesmusic » Fri May 14, 2010 8:07 pm

I love all these HATERS! I'm going to SETON HALL UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL! You can keep hating on it but that only fuels me to rep it!

carolinamoonie88

New

Post by carolinamoonie88 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:12 pm

Well, for starters, anyone with the name "lawschoolblows" is obviously biased. Continuing that thought, anyone who finds their way onto a thread for happily admitted new students who are trying to make friends and get excited for their first year at law school CLEARLY needs something else to do with their lives. Shame on you for your negativity and for giving unsolicited opinions that were clearly not asked for nor socially acceptable in this situation. So I am going to disregard most of the comments "lawschoolblows" just made.

ANYWAY-- Thank you so much for starting our FB group! I am very excited about meeting everyone. I am coming from school in the south and a little bit nervous about moving north... I know it will be fine though. I am starting to look for places to live. I would love to live with more than one person-- I feel like most of my time will be spent studying/holed up doing work, so having room mates is definitely something i am interested in!! I can't wait until we get more information. Is anyone going on a tour any time soon? I am trying to decide what day to go back up. I'd love to meet for lunch =0)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu May 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Unless you're attending on a full scholarship, this is a HORRIBLE decision for most of you.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Thu May 20, 2010 4:01 pm

i don't know much. but i do know that a man with your avatar has little chance convincing people catholic school ain't right for them.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:i don't know much. but i do know that a man with your avatar has little chance convincing people catholic school ain't right for them.
Are you an idiot? This has absolutely nothing to do with religion.

aPosseAdEsse

Bronze

Post by aPosseAdEsse » Thu May 20, 2010 7:55 pm

School, just like the rest of life, is what you make of it!

From my research, it’s clear that Seton Hall is a great school for employment in New Jersey. If you’re dream is to work in The City, then you’re going to have to study your butt off, and for some it is within reach.

And anecdotally, I met several successful 3Ls at an SHU ASD who have solid jobs lined up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 pm

MTal wrote:
inSouthAmerica wrote:i don't know much. but i do know that a man with your avatar has little chance convincing people catholic school ain't right for them.
maybe i'm an idiot, but this doesn't have absolutely nothing to do with religion. i wouldn't go to seton hall if it was free specifically because of its religious affiliation. i'm sure i'm not alone. however, are you an idiot?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu May 20, 2010 8:32 pm

aPosseAdEsse wrote:School, just like the rest of life, is what you make of it!
Would this be true if the school cost $1 million? At 50k a year + living expenses the full cost of SH is BEYOND exorbitant. Ask yourself, why doesn't Cozen O'connor, the biglaw firm right across the street from SH not even ask for ONE resume or send anyone to interview students at OCI? That alone should tell you that a degree from SH isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu May 20, 2010 8:36 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:
MTal wrote:
i wouldn't go to seton hall if it was free specifically because of its religious affiliation.
In that case, you really are an idiot. Apart from seemingly being anti-Catholic, you also fail to realize that SH's Catholic affiliation has almost 0 effect on its curriculum and policies. Unless you base your law school decisions on being able to buy condoms on the premises (not sure why this would be an issue in your case), there is NO reason why SH being Catholic would have any sway in your choice.

amclane

New

Post by amclane » Thu May 20, 2010 9:02 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:
MTal wrote:
maybe i'm an idiot, but this doesn't have absolutely nothing to do with religion. i wouldn't go to seton hall if it was free specifically because of its religious affiliation. i'm sure i'm not alone. however, are you an idiot?
I think you are alone. Religion has little to do with their legal education offerings. They may offer some things in the way of religion, but you could certainly opt out. there is no reason to be offended by the presence of religion.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Last edited by inSouthAmerica on Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 pm

@amclane - maybe i am alone. but i'm also in a position to not go to seton hall. if seton hall was the best school i had gotten into maybe i'd be singing a different tune. they gave me 25k a year, and with what rutgers gave me rutgers was still cheaper. i would have been a more interesting case study if the financial aid had flipped that situation. i understand the point. for me religious affiliation definitely plays a role in the decision. maybe i am alone. i hope not. remember its religious affiliation i'm talking about not religion in general. i wouldn't want my school affiliated with any religion, so i see an anti-catholic claim as unfounded.

@MTal - judging by some pretty misogynist things you've said in previous posts, i know for a fact my condom usage far surpassed yours at a fairly early age.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 21, 2010 1:09 am

LegalPink

New

Post by LegalPink » Fri May 21, 2010 1:32 pm

MTal wrote:
aPosseAdEsse wrote:School, just like the rest of life, is what you make of it!
Would this be true if the school cost $1 million? At 50k a year + living expenses the full cost of SH is BEYOND exorbitant. Ask yourself, why doesn't Cozen O'connor, the biglaw firm right across the street from SH not even ask for ONE resume or send anyone to interview students at OCI? That alone should tell you that a degree from SH isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
perhaps you should be more thorough in your research. a quick search of the attorney's at Cozen shows that they do, in fact, hire SHU Law graduates. Nice try though. Go somewhere where people will care about your comments.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”