Seton Hall Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby bitlrc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:02 pm

i know there's a lot of hate for it on these boards, but i just put my deposit down at SHU to start in the fall!!! i couldn't find any other topics for this year's class, so here it is. i'm very excited, and hope to get to know a bunch of people before starting in august.

i want to practice in NJ and seeing as how it is now the top ranked school in the state, it seems like a logical choice ($35k/yr scholarship doesn't hurt either)

anyone else decided on SHU?

amclane
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby amclane » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm going! (unless i get of Maryland's waitlist... long shot!)

User avatar
inSouthAmerica
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby inSouthAmerica » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:04 pm

i wonder if anyone without a 35k scholarship thinks its the top ranked school in the state.

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby bitlrc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:09 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:i wonder if anyone without a 35k scholarship thinks its the top ranked school in the state.


whether it's the best deal or not can be debated case by case but being ranked 72 in the new rankings compared to 80 for rutgers newark and camden means it's the top ranked school

amclane
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby amclane » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:12 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:i wonder if anyone without a 35k scholarship thinks its the top ranked school in the state.


Go back to the Rutgers thread to complain about SHU. kthnx.

sheep metal
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby sheep metal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:48 pm

put down my deposit yesterday, I'll be there in the fall.

lawschoolblows
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolblows » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:55 pm

God help you poor kids. Seton Hall is a terrible school. Here's a sampling of the type of jobs SH grads have to scrouge for:

--LinkRemoved--

and

--LinkRemoved--

These are the type of gutter-level gigs that the non Top 2% of SH goes begging for. Bet you kids didn't know that Cozen Oconnor, a Biglaw shop right across the street in One Newark Center, doesn't even do OCI or resume collection at SH. Their opinion of the school is so poor that they won't even send someone ACROSS THE STREET to interview you guys. That alone should be a huge red flag about Hall.

Here's a neat Wikipedia page that tells you all about SH Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =306263732

BTW, I'm the creator of the infamous blog Big Debt, Small Law. Check it out, as it describes in full the future that awaits you if you actually attend this embarassing TTT. Here's a classic to get you started:

--LinkRemoved--

BTW, when I went to SH tution was only 24 K sticker. I can't even fathom the loans you guys are going to take on to nail this worthless TTT diploma to your wall.

And OP, kiss that scholly goodbye. SH sticks all the scholly kids together with the bastard profs like Waldeck and Denbeuax so their GPAs get trashed and they end up paying sticker from 2nd semester on. This place is run by thieves and scoundrels. For God's sake, the mayor of Hoboken was a recent SH alum and set a world record: inauguration to indictment in only 23 days!

If I could talk just one of you out of making this mistake, it would make my year. Feel free to email me at lawis4losers AT gmailif you'd like a Rolodex full of alums who will tell you what a massive mistake you're making. This school just plain sucks.

User avatar
inSouthAmerica
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 pm

yikes. see i was just griping about rankings...

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:05 pm

^^^^disgruntled SHU alum :lol:

lawschoolblows
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolblows » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Almost everyone I graduated with is "disgruntled." Doc review gulags in NYC are packed with Seton Hall alums. Best you can hope for from SH is a traffic court clerkship followed by shitlaw at some 35 K a year ambulance chasing mill.

These craigslist jobs are all there really is for 95% of SH grads. Their placement is beyond abysmal.

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:37 pm

should've studied a little harder my friend

User avatar
SteelReserve
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby SteelReserve » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 pm

should've studied a little harder my friend


Ok. Feel free to come back to this thread next year to let us know if you make top 10% after 1L. Because I'll bet you that there's a 9 out of 10 chance you won't. If you are actually paying money for this school, you are setting yourself up for complete failure. Please feel free to contact current students or other SHU alums to verify this. Ditto for Brooklyn et al.
Go there if you want, but you need to at least accept the reality of the situation and not show disdain for the large number of people who have suffered as a result of that school.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 pm

kissy wrote:should've studied a little harder my friend


SNAP

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Yo Kissy, your not going to SHU, just enjoying this hilarious wiki link above right?

lawschoolblows
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolblows » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:13 pm

The error most 0 L's make is that hard work=success. In law school that's just not true.

I did pretty damn well my first year at hall (top 18%) and got ZERO oci interviews. Only the top 2 to 5% at SH get OCI, and that will probably decrease even further with this awful economy.

A friend of mine graduated magna and ended up taking a job at Wilson Elser, a notorious insurance defense mill that pays high 60s to start. He was gone in 10 months (Wilson Elser is a churn & burn shop) and now runs an auto body buisness in Kearny with his cousin.

Other classmates of mine are bartenders, waiters, or other blue-collar jobs. The few people I know who are still in law are doing doc review or working at crap firms for 60-70 K. This is FIVE YEARS OUT!

In this market, schools like Seton Hall, 'Bozo, Brooklyn et al are essentially worthless. Even Ivy-league kids are getting no offered by Biglaw. You really think they're going to do much OCI at toilets like SH?

Most of you will sorely regret your decision to attend law school. The legal market is saturated far beyond your comprehension. Those craigslist jobs aren't a joke, they're your future. I hate to break it to you, but SH doesn't have some secret database of employers paying their grads 80 K starting.

Law, being mostly a mindless cut n' paste farce, has lent itself well to outsourcing. Read this article:

--LinkRemoved--

This trend will continue and make entry-level jobs even more scarce by the time you guys graduate.

If SH was the best school you could get into, take that as a sign that you simply aren't cut out for this industry. The school is nothing more than a morbidly overpriced also-ran in the most glutted legal market in the country.


Spend some time reading the comments on my blog Big Debt and also the JD Underground mssg board. These comments and posts are by admitted attorneys, not naive 0 L's. Read how utterly miserable, unfufilling, low paying and all-around awful the industry of law truly is from the folks who've lived thru this nightmare already.

lawschoolblows
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolblows » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 am


amclane
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby amclane » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:22 am

OK guys... all of this belongs in some other thread, like a Rutgers v. Seton Hall thread or whatever you like.

This was just made for people going to Seton Hall to meet eachother. Not to ask your opinion of the school. So please take your rants somewhere else.

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby bitlrc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 am

amclane wrote:OK guys... all of this belongs in some other thread, like a Rutgers v. Seton Hall thread or whatever you like.

This was just made for people going to Seton Hall to meet eachother. Not to ask your opinion of the school. So please take your rants somewhere else.


thank you

also, the fact that some people struck out at OCI could be just as indicative of an incredibly negative/abrasive personality as it is the quality of the school. so if you want to trash the school by all means create a seton hall hate thread, but don't come here to ridicule our decisions and dump on us, because according you the school (and life in general) will do enough of that for you in the near future

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:30 am

bitlrc wrote:
amclane wrote:OK guys... all of this belongs in some other thread, like a Rutgers v. Seton Hall thread or whatever you like.

This was just made for people going to Seton Hall to meet eachother. Not to ask your opinion of the school. So please take your rants somewhere else.


thank you

also, the fact that some people struck out at OCI could be just as indicative of an incredibly negative/abrasive personality as it is the quality of the school. so if you want to trash the school by all means create a seton hall hate thread, but don't come here to ridicule our decisions and dump on us, because according you the school (and life in general) will do enough of that for you in the near future


In all seriousness, even though its hilarious to listen to these guys sometimes and I do see some of their points, I don't know any alumni from SHU who aren't doing well. I'm from the area. I'm going to RU next year. I also got 25K from SHU and the same scholly as the OP in a counter offer for "reconsideration" when I told them I was withdrawing. So I have no personal reason to stick up for or bash SHU. I've shared my arguments elsewhere in opposition to the SHU option as well as in favor of it. But here I will keep it one-sided and positive unless you guys ask anything that requires otherwise.

The truth is I know seven successful SHU alumni off the top of my head dispersed between careers in Big NYC firms, mid-size NJ firms, small NJ firms, prosecution, and non-profits. That's a wide range for just a small sample, but they're all doing very well and I know no one from SHU who isn't doing well. I would also say I know a lot of lawyers and SHU represents more of them then any other school. SHU has a great rep in northern NJ, you'll figure that out when you get there. If you want NY, you better be either on top of your game, or a networker making the right connections. That goes for that vast majority of law schools. SHU certainly provides the location, alumni, and student body that will enable one that opportunity. It really depends on competence, personality, and social skills.

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby bitlrc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:36 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
bitlrc wrote:
amclane wrote:OK guys... all of this belongs in some other thread, like a Rutgers v. Seton Hall thread or whatever you like.

This was just made for people going to Seton Hall to meet eachother. Not to ask your opinion of the school. So please take your rants somewhere else.


thank you

also, the fact that some people struck out at OCI could be just as indicative of an incredibly negative/abrasive personality as it is the quality of the school. so if you want to trash the school by all means create a seton hall hate thread, but don't come here to ridicule our decisions and dump on us, because according you the school (and life in general) will do enough of that for you in the near future


In all seriousness, even though its hilarious to listen to these guys sometimes and I do see some of their points, I don't know any alumni from SHU who aren't doing well. I'm from the area. I'm going to RU next year. I also got 25K from SHU and the same scholly as the OP in a counter offer for "reconsideration" when I told them I was withdrawing. So I have no personal reason to stick up for or bash SHU. I've shared my arguments elsewhere in opposition to the SHU option as well as in favor of it. But here I will keep it one-sided and positive unless you guys ask anything that requires otherwise.

The truth is I know seven successful SHU alumni off the top of my head dispersed between careers in Big NYC firms, mid-size NJ firms, small NJ firms, prosecution, and non-profits. That's a wide range for just a small sample, but they're all doing very well and I know no one from SHU who isn't doing well. I would also say I know a lot of lawyers and SHU represents more of them then any other school. SHU has a great rep in northern NJ, you'll figure that out when you get there. If you want NY, you better be either on top of your game, or a networker making the right connections. That goes for that vast majority of law schools. SHU certainly provides the location, alumni, and student body that will enable one that opportunity. It really depends on competence, personality, and social skills.


i agree completely. granted, i haven't met as wide a variety of alumni as you, but i had dinner with a partner from a midlaw NJ firm and she had nothing but great things to say about rutgers and shu and their offices are dominated by alumni from both schools.

amclane
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby amclane » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 am

bernie shmegma wrote:In all seriousness, even though its hilarious to listen to these guys sometimes and I do see some of their points, I don't know any alumni from SHU who aren't doing well. I'm from the area. I'm going to RU next year. I also got 25K from SHU and the same scholly as the OP in a counter offer for "reconsideration" when I told them I was withdrawing. So I have no personal reason to stick up for or bash SHU. I've shared my arguments elsewhere in opposition to the SHU option as well as in favor of it. But here I will keep it one-sided and positive unless you guys ask anything that requires otherwise.

The truth is I know seven successful SHU alumni off the top of my head dispersed between careers in Big NYC firms, mid-size NJ firms, small NJ firms, prosecution, and non-profits. That's a wide range for just a small sample, but they're all doing very well and I know no one from SHU who isn't doing well. I would also say I know a lot of lawyers and SHU represents more of them then any other school. SHU has a great rep in northern NJ, you'll figure that out when you get there. If you want NY, you better be either on top of your game, or a networker making the right connections. That goes for that vast majority of law schools. SHU certainly provides the location, alumni, and student body that will enable one that opportunity. It really depends on competence, personality, and social skills.


You sounds pretty reasonable. Basically, I think most of us know that everything on TLS gets blown way out of proportion. As long as you go into any law school with reasonable expectations for what you are getting, and what you have to do, you'll be fine.

lawschoolblows
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolblows » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 am

Here's the type of "job" many SH alums are scrounging for:

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... -poor.html


Take a good, hard look at Tom the Temp's website. Ask yourself how you'll pay back a Seton Hall debt load on $22 an hour. Be aware that these doc review jobs also do not pay health benefits.

You'd be astounded at how many SH alums are stuck in doc review without a living wage, medical insurance, or any chance for advancement. I don't think any school in the area is more despised by its own alums than Seton Hall.

BTW, a national magazine next month is running a feature article on the law school scam, and highlighting Seton Hall as an example of an especially bad law school. I have spoken with the writer and put him in touch with about a dozen alums who've shared their Seton Hall horror stories. The article is going to feature a sweet text box that exposed Seton Hall for the TTT toilet it truly is. The writer found especially hilarious the fact that Cozen is across the street and doesn't do ANY oci at Seton Hall! That really does speak volumes about how biglaw (the only employers paying sufficent wages to service a Seton Hall debt load) feel about the school's quality.

amclane
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby amclane » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:19 am

lawschoolblows wrote:Here's the type of "job" many SH alums are scrounging for:

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... -poor.html


Take a good, hard look at Tom the Temp's website. Ask yourself how you'll pay back a Seton Hall debt load on $22 an hour. Be aware that these doc review jobs also do not pay health benefits.

You'd be astounded at how many SH alums are stuck in doc review without a living wage, medical insurance, or any chance for advancement. I don't think any school in the area is more despised by its own alums than Seton Hall.

BTW, a national magazine next month is running a feature article on the law school scam, and highlighting Seton Hall as an example of an especially bad law school. I have spoken with the writer and put him in touch with about a dozen alums who've shared their Seton Hall horror stories. The article is going to feature a sweet text box that exposed Seton Hall for the TTT toilet it truly is. The writer found especially hilarious the fact that Cozen is across the street and doesn't do ANY oci at Seton Hall! That really does speak volumes about how biglaw (the only employers paying sufficent wages to service a Seton Hall debt load) feel about the school's quality.


the craigslist stuff really doesn't scare me... sorry. Maybe I would take you seriously if you had better use of your time than finding "scary" jobs on craigsist and bashing a law school that didnt get you into the biglaw firm across the street. Big fucking deal. This has nothing to do with me.

(also, i know this isnt a craiglist post... i just saw he posted craigslist links in other places)

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby bernie shmegma » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:44 am

lawschoolblows wrote:Here's the type of "job" many SH alums are scrounging for:

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... -poor.html


Take a good, hard look at Tom the Temp's website. Ask yourself how you'll pay back a Seton Hall debt load on $22 an hour. Be aware that these doc review jobs also do not pay health benefits.

You'd be astounded at how many SH alums are stuck in doc review without a living wage, medical insurance, or any chance for advancement. I don't think any school in the area is more despised by its own alums than Seton Hall.

BTW, a national magazine next month is running a feature article on the law school scam, and highlighting Seton Hall as an example of an especially bad law school. I have spoken with the writer and put him in touch with about a dozen alums who've shared their Seton Hall horror stories. The article is going to feature a sweet text box that exposed Seton Hall for the TTT toilet it truly is. The writer found especially hilarious the fact that Cozen is across the street and doesn't do ANY oci at Seton Hall! That really does speak volumes about how biglaw (the only employers paying sufficent wages to service a Seton Hall debt load) feel about the school's quality.


If you went to Seton Hall and if you graduated and passed the bar, then WTF are you doing on TLS? You don't have to practice law or do anything related to be employed for more than $22 an hour. On the other hand developing a career out of sitting at home on your computer focusing on law school bashing isn't likely to bring success either. If I had to guess, it looks like you took an obsession and tried to generate revenue. So you started all of these law school websites and marketing schemes to counter similar behavior that suckered you in favor of law schools. Only, you're failing at that too. So now you're micromanaging you're anti-law school business trying to get 10 people on TLS to click on your links for $.25 of revenue per click. Keep it up bud.

Not everyone is as pathetic as Scotty B

By the way, if you want to be a watchdog for law schools and start a business, go to barnes and noble (NOT a private MBA school this time for $40,000- even if it means putting blinders and ear muffs on from enticing edvertisements) and buy some books for $400 instead to get your shit together. Your current approach isn't going to take you anywhere, but professionalism with creativity and innovation on the subject actually might.

lawschoolblows
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Seton Hall Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolblows » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 pm

My blog does not feature adwords. I make nothing from the blog. It is purely a public service and has dissuaded humdreds of people from making the mistake of law school.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest