0L Writing Books

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
clint4law

0L Writing Books

Postby clint4law » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:02 pm

I graduated undergrad in 2002 and have not done any type of academic writing in the past 8 years or so. As a 0L, I'm looking for some books that'll help improve/refresh my writing skills. Any suggestions?

patrickd139

Re: 0L Writing Books

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:59 pm

clint4law wrote:I graduated undergrad in 2002 and have not done any type of academic writing in the past 8 years or so. As a 0L, I'm looking for some books that'll help improve/refresh my writing skills. Any suggestions?

+

Also see: the last post on this page, and similar threads.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:01 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
clint4law wrote:I graduated undergrad in 2002 and have not done any type of academic writing in the past 8 years or so. As a 0L, I'm looking for some books that'll help improve/refresh my writing skills. Any suggestions?

+

Also see: the last post on this page, and similar threads.

This is clearly a little different, since your ability to write is very important in law school, and he hasn't done academic writing in almost a decade.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:40 pm

RPK34 wrote:This is clearly a little different, since your ability to write is very important in law school, and he hasn't done academic writing in almost a decade.

I hadn't studied torts or contracts in well over a decade before coming to law school. Getting ahead in Torts, Civ Pro, LRW, whatever. OP's still attempting to get ahead. It's futile.

Edit: Quotefail.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
RPK34 wrote:This is clearly a little different, since your ability to write is very important in law school, and he hasn't done academic writing in almost a decade.

I hadn't studied torts or contracts in well over a decade before coming to law school. Getting ahead in Torts, Civ Pro, LRW, whatever. OP's still attempting to get ahead. It's futile.

not trying to get ahead.....just need to touch up on my writing skills.....I'm going on 4 vacations from now until August....all of which will include lots of alcoholic beverages.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:51 pm

clint4law wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

not trying to get ahead.....just need to touch up on my writing skills.....I'm going on 4 vacations from now until August....all of which will include lots of alcoholic beverages.

I know you're apprehensive, but legal writing is nothing like academic writing. Further, most writing departments have a specific style they teach. Variation from the extremely formulaic style can easily negatively affect your grade.

As a general rule: If you got into law school, you're competent enough for them to teach you how to write their way. Enjoy those vacations. Seriously.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:16 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
clint4law wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

I know you're apprehensive, but legal writing is nothing like academic writing. Further, most writing departments have a specific style they teach. Variation from the extremely formulaic style can easily negatively affect your grade.

As a general rule: If you got into law school, you're competent enough for them to teach you how to write their way. Enjoy those vacations. Seriously.

will do.....thanks

Johannes de Silentio

Postby Johannes de Silentio » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:17 pm

The Elements of Style

William Strunk Jr.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Johannes de Silentio wrote:The Elements of Style

William Strunk Jr.

thanks