Loyola (LA) 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
WhatTheLawSchool
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby WhatTheLawSchool » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:47 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:I am probably going to end up here. I am just scared bc the large scholarship they offered me has the top 30% stip. So does anyone know if they section stack?


The 30% thing didn't bother me until I started hearing other people I knew with schol-offers at LLS voice this same concern (well, at least that they were worried about it.) I did some math on LSN and it looks to me like around 50-60% of the people on there that applied to LLS got scholarships, and as far as I know, they all require top 30%. So, while I don't think they'll purposefully stack sections, I think they have already basically offered first year scholarships to quite a few people.

I'm not at all sure I'm going to LLS, but I have a hard time turning down so much mulah, compared to going to a top choice at sticker.

bconly
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby bconly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:26 pm

I'll be attending this fall :)

User avatar
dontworrybehappy
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby dontworrybehappy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:18 am

.

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby dalancas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:28 am

Go Loyola! Well, my immediate thoughts would be that you will certainly be out of the house after dark... after all, aren't part time classes at Loyola at night? Plus being at the library will certainly give you some of the space you need. The PT program is 4 years isn't it? That means if you are moving out now, you will have one extra year of living expenses to deal with. A commute from Pasadena isn't that bad, and I would see if you could stand it though at least one year. Besides, you can always find another place if it proves to be distracting for you. However, from what I have been told, you will do most of your studying in the library on campus anyway!

lawislaw2009
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby lawislaw2009 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 am

I'm a current LLS student, so I thought I'd chip in. I was actually looking for the rankings and came across this thread (according to a leak, Loyola is 56).
So does anyone know if they section stack?

I spoke with someone at the admissions office and they said they dont stack their sections with all scholarship students or set their student up to lose their scholarships. According to them its a random selection process.

Admin told our entire class during orientation, that they don't section stack. I know people in other sections and we each thought our own section was the hardest - go figure.

Does anyone know about section groupings? Do they exist? Is that your section for all three years? Some details would be appreciated about their structure, etc.

If it's the same as ours, you will have 4 sections of about 80 students (day time); not sure about evening. You take all of your first year classes together as your schedule is predetermined, but thereafter you choose your own classes. So starting your second year you see people from all the 1st year sections that you never got to see your 1st year. Kind of like Survivor's merging of the tribes, hehe.

Culver city is a few mins drive to loyola and the prices there are affordable. i'll strongly advice against living in the downtown area of LA though. Not very safe.

Students commute to Loyola from all over the greaterh LA area (even Orange County). There are also quite a number that live in the downtown area. I wouldn't write off downtown based on someone's possibly informed or uninformed opinion. There are several nice residential pockets, including the loft areas, Little Tokyo, the arts district, and a couple of well-known, high-end apartment buildings to name a few. Do your research and you may like what you find. Even the area around the Staples Center has some nice apartments/condos. The LA Live (http://www.lalive.com/) project has been revitalizing downtown for years. There is a brand new Regal Cinema movie theater as well as a JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton (http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Propertie ... efault.htm). Sure you have your middle to lower class residents nearby, but it's just residents and an elementary school that keep to themselves. You will just be going in and out of the parking structure which is always guarded.

Hope this info. helps some of you a bit. Good luck.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby Pleasye » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:31 am

didionye wrote:Culver city is a few mins drive to loyola and the prices there are affordable. i'll strongly advice against living in the downtown area of LA though. Not very safe


Culver City is not "a few mins" from Loyola :-/...more like 20-30 depending on traffic and what part of Culver City etc. The area around Loyola isn't horrible, but it's definitely not the nicest area in LA to live.

didionye
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:46 am

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby didionye » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
didionye wrote:Culver city is a few mins drive to loyola and the prices there are affordable. i'll strongly advice against living in the downtown area of LA though. Not very safe


Culver City is not "a few mins" from Loyola :-/...more like 20-30 depending on traffic and what part of Culver City etc. The area around Loyola isn't horrible, but it's definitely not the nicest area in LA to live.


I live in culver city and it is "a few mins" from loyola. At least for me

didionye
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:46 am

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby didionye » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Heard loyola moved up the ranks to 56. If its true then thats awesome. But i'm kind of surprised pepperdine is ranked higher than loyola.

Geesh106
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby Geesh106 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:56 pm

Here's the confusion. The Loyola Marymount undergraduate campus is a "few minutes" from Culver City. The law school is located at Olympic/Albany, downtown.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby Pleasye » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Geesh106 wrote:Here's the confusion. The Loyola Marymount undergraduate campus is a "few minutes" from Culver City. The law school is located at Olympic/Albany, downtown.


exactly...Culver City is down the street from LMU, downtown on the other hand could be 15 and could be 45. depends on traffic. Also, if you're going to live that far, Venice is much better :)

edit: "far" is not exactly the right word to use. Some may not mind possible 45 min commute.

User avatar
boardride23
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby boardride23 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Unless UC Davis pulls out a miracle, looks like I'm choosing Loyola over USD. Anyone else on a similar boat?

Also to any current students:

Anyone following the Sports and Entertainment Law route? How is the program/professors?

Do you know of any apartment complexes near school that law students tend to live? (can't stand commuting in LA traffic)

Thanks in advance for all of your help! :D

User avatar
Island Girl
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby Island Girl » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:22 am

boardride23 wrote:Unless UC Davis pulls out a miracle, looks like I'm choosing Loyola over USD. Anyone else on a similar boat?


+1

I'd really love to stay in the Bay Area. Crossing my fingers either to get off the Berkeley waitlist or receive an acceptance from Davis. If neither works out, it's Loyola for me. On another note, looks like a bunch of TLS folks are making it to Preview Day on the 23rd. Should be fun meeting people and wondering who are the TLSers from the crowd. :D

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby dalancas » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:56 am

boardride23 wrote:
Do you know of any apartment complexes near school that law students tend to live? (can't stand commuting in LA traffic)

Thanks in advance for all of your help! :D


Loyola Law School for me too. Pretty excited, especially since they have continued to post solid career numbers despite the bad economy. To bad I won't be there at the 4/23 Preview day, but I think I have seen enough of LLS with the whole student host program.

From what I understand there is an apartment complex located pretty close to the school, called the Medici. It is a big complex and is kind of expensive... ranging from 2100ish to 2400ish for 2bed2bath apartments. Check it out at: http://www.themedici.com/2/Apartments-f ... alifornia/

Naturally I am also considering anywhere along the Red/Purple/Gold lines, as LLS makes using public transportation cost next to nothing. From Pasadena it is a 20 minutes to Union Station and another 10 to 7/Flower. From Hollywood, it is a 15 or so minute commute to the 7/Flower station where LLS has a shuttle that picks up every 15 minutes.

I have an older friend who commutes from the Hollywood area and he seems to like it a lot.

Even more important, do you surf/snowboard boardride23?

User avatar
boardride23
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby boardride23 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:36 pm

dalancas wrote:
boardride23 wrote:
Do you know of any apartment complexes near school that law students tend to live? (can't stand commuting in LA traffic)

Thanks in advance for all of your help! :D


Loyola Law School for me too. Pretty excited, especially since they have continued to post solid career numbers despite the bad economy. To bad I won't be there at the 4/23 Preview day, but I think I have seen enough of LLS with the whole student host program.

From what I understand there is an apartment complex located pretty close to the school, called the Medici. It is a big complex and is kind of expensive... ranging from 2100ish to 2400ish for 2bed2bath apartments. Check it out at: http://www.themedici.com/2/Apartments-f ... alifornia/

Naturally I am also considering anywhere along the Red/Purple/Gold lines, as LLS makes using public transportation cost next to nothing. From Pasadena it is a 20 minutes to Union Station and another 10 to 7/Flower. From Hollywood, it is a 15 or so minute commute to the 7/Flower station where LLS has a shuttle that picks up every 15 minutes.

I have an older friend who commutes from the Hollywood area and he seems to like it a lot.

Even more important, do you surf/snowboard boardride23?


Sounds like we're on the same boat regarding housing... definitely near school or near accessible public transit lines.

You called it. I'm big into snowboarding (and wakeboarding). Have done some surfing in my day, but have also seen Jaws too many times to be a regular. How bout yourself?

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby dalancas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:57 pm

boardride23 wrote:
dalancas wrote:
boardride23 wrote:
Do you know of any apartment complexes near school that law students tend to live? (can't stand commuting in LA traffic)

Thanks in advance for all of your help! :D


Loyola Law School for me too. Pretty excited, especially since they have continued to post solid career numbers despite the bad economy. To bad I won't be there at the 4/23 Preview day, but I think I have seen enough of LLS with the whole student host program.

From what I understand there is an apartment complex located pretty close to the school, called the Medici. It is a big complex and is kind of expensive... ranging from 2100ish to 2400ish for 2bed2bath apartments. Check it out at: http://www.themedici.com/2/Apartments-f ... alifornia/

Naturally I am also considering anywhere along the Red/Purple/Gold lines, as LLS makes using public transportation cost next to nothing. From Pasadena it is a 20 minutes to Union Station and another 10 to 7/Flower. From Hollywood, it is a 15 or so minute commute to the 7/Flower station where LLS has a shuttle that picks up every 15 minutes.

I have an older friend who commutes from the Hollywood area and he seems to like it a lot.

Even more important, do you surf/snowboard boardride23?


Sounds like we're on the same boat regarding housing... definitely near school or near accessible public transit lines.

You called it. I'm big into snowboarding (and wakeboarding). Have done some surfing in my day, but have also seen Jaws too many times to be a regular. How bout yourself?


I have been snowboarding for a couple seasons now -this year I have the opportunity to go to Idaho with my friends and ride nothing but powder for three exhaustingly wonderful days. I have surfed shortboards and occasionally longboards all throughout college. After all, I went to UCSD! I am also really into longboard-skateboarding... almost everyone does it there too. I may not surf a lot but skate sessions are definitely gonna be going down in law school. If you have time, check out http://www.loadedboards.com ...really good boards. Skating a parking garage in these things feels a lot like snowboarding!

User avatar
Island Girl
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby Island Girl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Hello all! I sent in my first seat deposit today! Preview Day was tons of fun! Loved the teachers especially. I think I'd be very happy attending Loyola for three years. Anyone as excited as I am? =)

jamielynn1981
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:42 am

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby jamielynn1981 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:01 pm

So....

Do you all think it would be crazy to decide on LLS without visiting first? I like everything I've seen and read about the school and have participated in those online chats they have--I live in NY and haven't been able to make it out to LA--1st deposit is due in a few days and I'm nervous about making a decision without actually getting a feel for the school.

Any thoughts?

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby dalancas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:29 pm

jamielynn1981 wrote:So....

Do you all think it would be crazy to decide on LLS without visiting first? I like everything I've seen and read about the school and have participated in those online chats they have--I live in NY and haven't been able to make it out to LA--1st deposit is due in a few days and I'm nervous about making a decision without actually getting a feel for the school.

Any thoughts?


It depends on where else you are thinking about going. My overall impression of the school is pretty positive. The lecture halls are pretty pretty nice, the library is not the nicest one I've seen but overall very tolerable. The campus is pretty big too. Otherwise, I'd say venture on to google maps and check out the area. You have been to LA before right?

The act of choosing Loyola in itself is not crazy, I can tell you that. Choosing it over a T14/UCLA/USC might be though -but hey, everyone I have talked to at Loyola has no regrets about going there -including my friend who I have known for a long time. They love it.

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby dalancas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Island Girl wrote:Hello all! I sent in my first seat deposit today! Preview Day was tons of fun! Loved the teachers especially. I think I'd be very happy attending Loyola for three years. Anyone as excited as I am? =)


Really stoked. And now I get to spend the next several months obsessing over:

1) Which laptop do I get: 13'' Macbook, 13'' Macbook Pro, Windows Laptop
2) Where do I live? Hollywood, Pasadena or Koreatown?
3) Roommates...

User avatar
Island Girl
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby Island Girl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

dalancas wrote:
Island Girl wrote:Hello all! I sent in my first seat deposit today! Preview Day was tons of fun! Loved the teachers especially. I think I'd be very happy attending Loyola for three years. Anyone as excited as I am? =)


Really stoked. And now I get to spend the next several months obsessing over:

1) Which laptop do I get: 13'' Macbook, 13'' Macbook Pro, Windows Laptop
2) Where do I live? Hollywood, Pasadena or Koreatown?
3) Roommates...


Great to hear! If things don't work out with Davis, it's LA for me. I'd still be pretty excited to attend Loyola. You might want to consider getting a windows laptop over a Mac. I heard you'd have to install bootcamp in a Mac for it to be usable during exams. It might not apply to Loyola but it never hurts to check. You don't want computer issues in the middle of a final.

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby dalancas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:05 am

Island Girl wrote:Great to hear! If things don't work out with Davis, it's LA for me. I'd still be pretty excited to attend Loyola. You might want to consider getting a windows laptop over a Mac. I heard you'd have to install bootcamp in a Mac for it to be usable during exams. It might not apply to Loyola but it never hurts to check. You don't want computer issues in the middle of a final.


My friend Garrett (who was on the student panel at Preview day) has had a Mac for all of law school and he says a little less than half of the students there use a Mac. He has never had any issues with exam software.

jamielynn1981
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:42 am

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby jamielynn1981 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:24 am

dalancas wrote:
jamielynn1981 wrote:So....

Do you all think it would be crazy to decide on LLS without visiting first? I like everything I've seen and read about the school and have participated in those online chats they have--I live in NY and haven't been able to make it out to LA--1st deposit is due in a few days and I'm nervous about making a decision without actually getting a feel for the school.

Any thoughts?


It depends on where else you are thinking about going. My overall impression of the school is pretty positive. The lecture halls are pretty pretty nice, the library is not the nicest one I've seen but overall very tolerable. The campus is pretty big too. Otherwise, I'd say venture on to google maps and check out the area. You have been to LA before right?

The act of choosing Loyola in itself is not crazy, I can tell you that. Choosing it over a T14/UCLA/USC might be though -but hey, everyone I have talked to at Loyola has no regrets about going there -including my friend who I have known for a long time. They love it.


Thanks for the input and feedback about the school! Everything I've heard about the school so far has been really positive (and I would really love to be out on the west coast). Really the important thing that I get from the visits is a sense of the culture of the school and the students who are/will be going there. Everyone I've spoken to, though, who is currently a student or who will be attending in the fall has been really great.

Thanks, again, for your input :o)

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby dalancas » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:17 am

dalancas wrote:
Island Girl wrote:Great to hear! If things don't work out with Davis, it's LA for me. I'd still be pretty excited to attend Loyola. You might want to consider getting a windows laptop over a Mac. I heard you'd have to install bootcamp in a Mac for it to be usable during exams. It might not apply to Loyola but it never hurts to check. You don't want computer issues in the middle of a final.


[strike]My friend Garrett (who was on the student panel at Preview day) has had a Mac for all of law school and he says a little less than half of the students there use a Mac. He has never had any issues with exam software.
[/strike]

I talked with Garrett again today and he said that you indeed do have to use Bootcamp in order to use the SofTest exam software for finals. On top of that, it is the same software used on the CA bar exam as well. Totally lame. Even though bootcamp is free, when you add the whole extra step, I don't know if it's worth it.

The computer I am currently in favor of is the HP dm3t series... 4.2 lbs and 9 hrs of better life in addition to having a mostly brushed aluminum exterior that appears pretty durable and solid overall. It doesn't include a DVD drive, so you have to get an external one, but the way I see it, there is no way I would ever need a CD/DVD player at school anyways. It ends up being about $750.

teqniqal
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby teqniqal » Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 am

Count me in! I'll be attending LLS in the Fall.

User avatar
JolieSaraLee
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Re: Loyola (LA) 2013

Postby JolieSaraLee » Tue May 04, 2010 4:17 pm

teqniqal wrote:Count me in! I'll be attending LLS in the Fall.


Me too :)




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest