Santa Clara vs. U of Arizona

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
PJRooney

Santa Clara vs. U of Arizona

Postby PJRooney » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:45 am

I am from San Diego and practicing in California after I graduate is very important to me. I have been offered 8k a year from both schools pending academic performance (be in the top 25% for Santa Clara, maintain a 3.2 for Arizona). Both schools have well known international law (which I am interested in), although Santa Clara has better opportunities to study abroad (an excellent opportunity which I have enjoyed in the past). COL is cheaper in Tucson, although quality of education is more important to me than the cost of the education. Arizona is "ranked" as a better law school. Unfortunately, I have never visited either campus nor can I visit them before I make a decision, as I am out of the country until June. Which is the smarter decision in the long run keeping in mind that I want to take the BAR and work in California after graduation?

barkingbug

Re: Santa Clara vs. U of Arizona

Postby barkingbug » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:49 am

Well, you can pay a deposit to go to both and visit later... and don't forget that UAZ may be able to offer in-state tuition.

That said, if you are sure you want to stay in CA, go to Santa Clara. It's not really even close.

My best advice - ask both for more money right now. See what you can get. If you got the same offer from a higher ranked school, perhaps that will boost your Santa Clara offer.

PJRooney

Postby PJRooney » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:10 pm

barkingbug wrote:Well, you can pay a deposit to go to both and visit later... and don't forget that UAZ may be able to offer in-state tuition.

That said, if you are sure you want to stay in CA, go to Santa Clara. It's not really even close.

My best advice - ask both for more money right now. See what you can get. If you got the same offer from a higher ranked school, perhaps that will boost your Santa Clara offer.

I haven't asked for more scholly money before. Do I ask the Director of Admissions? Should I include offers from other schools? Should I contact them using the phone? email? Any other advice?

Thanks

barkingbug

Postby barkingbug » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Ask fin aid first, but they may send you to admissions. Email them. Use your best one or two offers. In this case, you should have a good shot.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”