Seattle University 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
savagedm

Bronze

Re: Seattle University 2013

Post by savagedm » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:34 am

uwb09 wrote:officially sent in the deposit yesterday.

not going to be able to make either ASD, so I am definitely going to try and make the spring day thing in May

one thing i've liked about Seattle U is their willingness to allow part time work, even allowing you to take day and night classes in your 2L and 3L years. Anyone considering working part time at all during 1L?
as of right now I am currently an LSAT instructor with Kaplan and upon reading this, I for sure want to keep my job when I go up there. (I think their Bar Exam prep course is included as one of the "free classes" you get after teaching with them for a year + )

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:46 pm

As a 1L and full time students, you can work 19 hours or less. Part-time, my understanding, is whatever you want (or need).

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:07 pm

anyone planning to go to ASD tomorrow? I'm considering ditching work to go since I missed the last one and the scholarship dinner

Izzle13

New

Post by Izzle13 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:16 pm

uwb09 wrote:anyone planning to go to ASD tomorrow? I'm considering ditching work to go since I missed the last one and the scholarship dinner
I will be there.

seameg

New

Post by seameg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm starting PT evening this summer, have paid my deposit and am THRILLED. Decided to skip today's ASD and attend the Spring Visit Day instead. Looking forward to seeing/ meeting you all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

loumagoo

New

Post by loumagoo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi all, I am also starting the part time evening program in June. It was a tough decision, but I am excited to be staying in Seattle. And relieved that this part of the process is over. Not sure if I will be able to attend the Spring Visit (and already missed the ASDs) with my work schedule, but I am looking forward to meeting everyone and starting school again.

ddav87

New

Post by ddav87 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Starting full time in the fall only live about 70 miles away but not worth the commute so I'll be moving. I'll be looking for part time work immediately upon arrival I'm sure. Is it pretty easy to get part time work with any kind of pay if you don't have a food handlers license? I'm willing to get one but I've never worked in food and it be easier to keep it that way if possible.

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:53 am

How was ASD for the people who went? I was considering on going...but I was lazy....:|

I got the letter today about the summer program. I really wasn't considering it until I got it, but they do make it sound really appealing...

snowbunny87

New

Post by snowbunny87 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm starting this summer and really excited!!

How is everyone finding housing? I want to live pretty close to campus but other then searching craigslist, I'm not quite sure where to look.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Izzle13

New

Post by Izzle13 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Sending in my seat deposit today! Excited for the summer enrollment option...it's great for those of us who have been out of school for a few years to get our feet wet a bit :)

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:08 am

Officially decided to do the summer program today. Excited!!

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:58 pm

KIM_SAYS: wrote:How was ASD for the people who went? I was considering on going...but I was lazy....:|
I suppose this is a bit late, but I was at the ASD on the 16th and was impressed. I've been to other ASDs and, while it was lacking in some ways, it definitely left me with a great impression of the school.

One of the professors (Mitchell) led a in-class discussion of evidence which was great. He had us separate into groups and briefly argue against each other regarding whether a piece of evidence should be heard by the court. It was fun and helped give me a concrete idea of the kind of thinking that law school requires.

They also had ten or so current students/recent alumni speak about their experiences, with a lot of Q&A. It was very helpful to hear directly from students. The campus tour was also led by some current students. The law building was much nicer than I expected, and the surrounding area was hip and a lot of fun. Most people in that area seemed to be in their mid-late 20's and early 30's and there was great nightlife only a few blocks away.

I was a bit disappointed with the presentation on careers, however. They seemed to suggest that it was not only hard, but really really hard to get a job in this economy. They were not very open about job statistics either. One of the admin people mentioned that she thought the average private practice-focused student could probably get $75k if they wanted it and that top students would make six figures. But again, there were no statistics mentioned.

I will also note that one of the professors said that the school intends to be in the USNWR top 50 within the next ten years or so. It was hard to detect how realistic they thought that was. Given this year's drop, I find that somewhat hard to believe.

Overall I felt that UW will continue to be the major player in the northwest for the foreseeable future, but that Seattle U is an excellent choice for students who want to practice in Washington state and Seattle specifically.

I sent in my deposit.

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:04 pm

sophistry wrote: I was a bit disappointed with the presentation on careers, however. They seemed to suggest that it was not only hard, but really really hard to get a job in this economy. They were not very open about job statistics either. One of the admin people mentioned that she thought the average private practice-focused student could probably get $75k if they wanted it and that top students would make six figures. But again, there were no statistics mentioned.
Unfortunately, I encountered this also. Several students have emailed and called, and while I asked numerous questions, they consistently dodged this topic. So, I recently scoured martindale.com to get a general idea of job placement in Seattle. It is better than I envisioned, but I began the process with an overly pessimistic mindset.

At the website, they have local grads that you can contact with questions; although, I've not gone this far, probably next week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:16 am

Me-a Culpa wrote:
sophistry wrote: I was a bit disappointed with the presentation on careers, however. They seemed to suggest that it was not only hard, but really really hard to get a job in this economy. They were not very open about job statistics either. One of the admin people mentioned that she thought the average private practice-focused student could probably get $75k if they wanted it and that top students would make six figures. But again, there were no statistics mentioned.
Unfortunately, I encountered this also. Several students have emailed and called, and while I asked numerous questions, they consistently dodged this topic. So, I recently scoured martindale.com to get a general idea of job placement in Seattle. It is better than I envisioned, but I began the process with an overly pessimistic mindset.

At the website, they have local grads that you can contact with questions; although, I've not gone this far, probably next week.

EDIT: http://law.seattleu.edu/Careers/Student ... istics.xml

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 pm

For those that negotiated up on their scholarships: Did you email admissions or financial aid? Or is there a specific person I should address?

I'm planning on sending a negotiation email tomorrow, and I want to make sure it gets to the right place as swiftly as possible.

I really want to attend SU, but I just don't know that I can go this year without more incentive. =/

xenoscs

New

Post by xenoscs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 pm

upfish wrote:For those that negotiated up on their scholarships: Did you email admissions or financial aid? Or is there a specific person I should address?

I'm planning on sending a negotiation email tomorrow, and I want to make sure it gets to the right place as swiftly as possible.

I really want to attend SU, but I just don't know that I can go this year without more incentive. =/
I sent an email to lawadmis@seattleu.edu. A couple days later, I received a response from an assistant dean.

That being said, it didn't work for me, so I don't know if you should follow my lead ; )

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:26 pm

I sent - not emailed - the same letter to the admission office and finance office. This is who responded:

Carol Cochran, Assistant Dean
Cochran, Carol [ccochran@seattleu.edu]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:00 am

upfish wrote:For those that negotiated up on their scholarships: Did you email admissions or financial aid? Or is there a specific person I should address?

I'm pretty sure we're past the point of scholarship negotiations. Once you deposit, which I'm guessing you did or will have to very very soon, I think negotiation emails fall upon deaf ears.

That being said, I tried to negotiate and was rejected, though I know of others who were successful. It's worth a shot I suppose, just don't get your hopes up this late in the cycle. Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: One more thought. If you really want to practice in Seattle and didn't get into UW, just go to Seattle U already. The $3k or whatever you get as "incentive" if they bump your scholarship is not worth moving to a city you don't want to practice in.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:12 am

sophistry wrote:

I'm pretty sure we're past the point of scholarship negotiations. Once you deposit, which I'm guessing you did or will have to very very soon, I think negotiation emails fall upon deaf ears.

That being said, I tried to negotiate and was rejected, though I know of others who were successful. It's worth a shot I suppose, just don't get your hopes up this late in the cycle. Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: One more thought. If you really want to practice in Seattle and didn't get into UW, just go to Seattle U already. The $3k or whatever you get as "incentive" if they bump your scholarship is not worth moving to a city you don't want to practice in.
I do want to practice in Seattle, but my problem is the intense cost v. being pretty poor right now.

I'm basically going to be forced to defer barring <$3k, I think, which is upsetting. The Significant Other and I can save some money if we wait a year and maybe find him a job up there before we decide to totally uproot for law school. But I think with more cash I have a better chance of convincing him to move. But who knows.

I'm drafting the letter now, and expecting a rejection, but we'll see. Thanks for the help, guys. =)

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:22 pm

So are any admitted women or gay men (sorry, straight dudes! =D) looking for a roommate? I'm seriously considering going now, but I'm kind of panicked at moving 1500 miles and knowing NO ONE, and I know living alone would exacerbate that.

I can't imagine a stupider scenario than committing to going deeply in debt, and promptly failing classes because of the move itself. *sigh*

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:12 pm

upfish wrote:So are any admitted women or gay men (sorry, straight dudes! =D) looking for a roommate? I'm seriously considering going now, but I'm kind of panicked at moving 1500 miles and knowing NO ONE, and I know living alone would exacerbate that.

I can't imagine a stupider scenario than committing to going deeply in debt, and promptly failing classes because of the move itself. *sigh*

Have you joined the Class of '13 Facebook group? I think there are a couple people who have posted regarding needing a roommate...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:32 pm

LadyLuck2010 wrote:
upfish wrote:So are any admitted women or gay men (sorry, straight dudes! =D) looking for a roommate? I'm seriously considering going now, but I'm kind of panicked at moving 1500 miles and knowing NO ONE, and I know living alone would exacerbate that.

Have you joined the Class of '13 Facebook group? I think there are a couple people who have posted regarding needing a roommate...
No, I thought I had to put down a deposit first? Although, I'm preparing the envelope for that today, so I guess now I can!

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 pm

upfish wrote:
LadyLuck2010 wrote:

No, I thought I had to put down a deposit first? Although, I'm preparing the envelope for that today, so I guess now I can!
They let me join even before I sent my deposit.

How do we register for summer?? Will they be sending us more info about that later?

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:45 am

KIM_SAYS: wrote:
How do we register for summer?? Will they be sending us more info about that later?
From my understanding we get that information either towards the end of May or very beginning of June. Although I can't remember where I read that off the top of my head, so don't quote me on it. :D

loumagoo

New

Post by loumagoo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:59 pm

I asked the admissions office about this and they said the information would be given at the Spring Visit, or if you were unable to attend, mailed shortly thereafter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”