University of Miami, Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
BigTabacco
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:17 pm

University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby BigTabacco » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:09 am

Hello Prospective 'Canes.

In addition to meeting future classmates early, I would love to hear thoughts on housing. UM's student housing extravaganza was underwhelming.

Also, congratulations.

Miamilaw
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby Miamilaw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 pm

At the admitted students day, living on or by Brickell was suggested.

sw10
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby sw10 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:43 pm

I actually heard the opposite on ASD. Everyone said Brickell is too far a commute for 1Ls. But I guess it depends on the person. Most people I've talked to say to live in Coral Gables or South Miami.

User avatar
BigTabacco
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby BigTabacco » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:27 pm

sw10 wrote:I actually heard the opposite on ASD. Everyone said Brickell is too far a commute for 1Ls. But I guess it depends on the person. Most people I've talked to say to live in Coral Gables or South Miami.


I've heard this concern before. "Too far for 1Ls" as though a 24 year old human is incapable of commuting 20 minutes instead of 10. I don't buy it.

More important is to be on the "right" side of the city. Miami has massive morning traffic (and less important but equally terrible afternoon traffic). You don't want to be traveling in the same direction as Miami commuters. Living in Brickell puts you IN the city, so you'll be traveling away in the morning. The down side is that Brickell is pricey.

Wall2Law
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby Wall2Law » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Is everyone applying to the fellowship this summer? It certainly seems like an advantage for the 15-20 kids that are admitted in the program versus the rest that enroll in the fall of 2010.

User avatar
BigTabacco
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby BigTabacco » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:20 am

As I understood it, that deadline was closed in mid February?

macar
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 am

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby macar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 pm

BigTabacco wrote:
sw10 wrote:I actually heard the opposite on ASD. Everyone said Brickell is too far a commute for 1Ls. But I guess it depends on the person. Most people I've talked to say to live in Coral Gables or South Miami.


I've heard this concern before. "Too far for 1Ls" as though a 24 year old human is incapable of commuting 20 minutes instead of 10. I don't buy it.

More important is to be on the "right" side of the city. Miami has massive morning traffic (and less important but equally terrible afternoon traffic). You don't want to be traveling in the same direction as Miami commuters. Living in Brickell puts you IN the city, so you'll be traveling away in the morning. The down side is that Brickell is pricey.


totally agree- Brickell is the best place to live in Miami.
The decision however is simple and has nothing to do with location, it's all about the $$$$$$
option a: if you wanna live well, fun place, beautiful people, valet parking, next to everything (in other words, u get ur $$'s worth in miami) do brickell. yeah, 15-25 min depending on the day,
but come on, it's miami, everywhere u go is a 15-25 min ride.

option b: If you can't afford it, just don't make up excuses and move to south miami (ppl in south miami also have to drive 15 min in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon.
** red road commons is a NO!!!!! trust me, it sounds fun and easy, but most law students i know tried it and moved out asap- u will be partying 24/7 with frat guys like it or not bc the music is awesome! (a lot of fun until finals arrive)

either way, nobody cares where u live once u start school.

if you really care about to being able to make it to school in 10 min, do grove- also fun, if u are a female, there is always a possibility u get raped (i guess it's a reality in brickell too, but the guy in the grove uses a gun, and i still think brickell guy just took advantage of the opportunity)


Gables? as good as brickell, no perks unless u live in a house and the only thing close to u is school (at least during 1st year)

Brickell and Gables are a good place to live in the summer if u get a job, most firms are in those areas.

dont get into a high rent if u r thinking of going back home over the summer (unless u really wanna waste 3 months of rent)

me: from miami (at least the last 10 years) live in brickell (@ the plaza) /grove (my gf's) oh yeah, and a Law Student


good luck guys, and trust me nobody cares where u live!

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:48 pm

This thread...isn't going so well. Put down my deposit yesterday

User avatar
nightlight
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby nightlight » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:56 am

macar wrote: if you really care about to being able to make it to school in 10 min, do grove- also fun, if u are a female, there is always a possibility u get raped (i guess it's a reality in brickell too, but the guy in the grove uses a gun, and i still think brickell guy just took advantage of the opportunity)


oh geez.

Female 1L here, living in the grove, dating someone who lives in brickell. No, I am not macar's other half.

To clarify macar's post, there have been a few rapes in the area this year. 2+ in the grove, 1 in brickell. In brickell's defense, the girl was an idiot and the front desk personnel at her building, the Axis, are worthless. She walked home alone, drunk, at 3am and the rapist followed her into her luxury high rise without being stopped. The grove rapes were worse-- the dude was armed and the girls were not acting carelessly like the lush in brickell. Last week, a city police officer informed me that the grove has since ramped up its nighttime patrolling. Said officer also gave me a 30-minute impromptu self-defense and home security lesson. Hehe.

As 1Ls, you'll spend a lot of your first semester party time in the grove. It was beneficial for me to live here, as I could simply walk out on a friday night and life was fabulous. Brickell is nicer, cleaner, pricier, and has more of a young professional crowd. I almost always go out in Brickell now. I wish I lived there, but alas, my family bought my place so I am stuck in the grove for the remainder of my days at miami. Gables and Kendall are also popular for 1Ls and are generally nicer than most of the grove, but you're far from everything.

For the record, ALL of these areas are within a decent driving distance to school.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:35 am

nightlight wrote:
macar wrote: if you really care about to being able to make it to school in 10 min, do grove- also fun, if u are a female, there is always a possibility u get raped (i guess it's a reality in brickell too, but the guy in the grove uses a gun, and i still think brickell guy just took advantage of the opportunity)


oh geez.

Female 1L here, living in the grove, dating someone who lives in brickell. No, I am not macar's other half.

To clarify macar's post, there have been a few rapes in the area this year. 2+ in the grove, 1 in brickell. In brickell's defense, the girl was an idiot and the front desk personnel at her building, the Axis, are worthless. She walked home alone, drunk, at 3am and the rapist followed her into her luxury high rise without being stopped. The grove rapes were worse-- the dude was armed and the girls were not acting carelessly like the lush in brickell. Last week, a city police officer informed me that the grove has since ramped up its nighttime patrolling. Said officer also gave me a 30-minute impromptu self-defense and home security lesson. Hehe.

As 1Ls, you'll spend a lot of your first semester party time in the grove. It was beneficial for me to live here, as I could simply walk out on a friday night and life was fabulous. Brickell is nicer, cleaner, pricier, and has more of a young professional crowd. I almost always go out in Brickell now. I wish I lived there, but alas, my family bought my place so I am stuck in the grove for the remainder of my days at miami. Gables and Kendall are also popular for 1Ls and are generally nicer than most of the grove, but you're far from everything.

For the record, ALL of these areas are within a decent driving distance to school.


What do you think about the Marina Blue Apt complex downtown? For me, it's what I'm leaning towards but I haven't heard a lot of people mention it.

User avatar
nightlight
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby nightlight » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am

Marina Blue is downtown and directly across the street from the American Airlines arena, which is its key advantage. I've been there once and it's pretty badass. Floor to ceiling windows, massive walk-in-closets, sick variety of exotic cars in the garage. It is a bit inconvenient to live in that area, though, and traffic can be a big problem. If you go marina blue, you absolutely MUST buy miami heat season tickets.... otherwise, in my view, there's no point in living there.

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby js87 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 pm

trialjunky wrote:
nightlight wrote:
macar wrote: if you really care about to being able to make it to school in 10 min, do grove- also fun, if u are a female, there is always a possibility u get raped (i guess it's a reality in brickell too, but the guy in the grove uses a gun, and i still think brickell guy just took advantage of the opportunity)


oh geez.

Female 1L here, living in the grove, dating someone who lives in brickell. No, I am not macar's other half.

To clarify macar's post, there have been a few rapes in the area this year. 2+ in the grove, 1 in brickell. In brickell's defense, the girl was an idiot and the front desk personnel at her building, the Axis, are worthless. She walked home alone, drunk, at 3am and the rapist followed her into her luxury high rise without being stopped. The grove rapes were worse-- the dude was armed and the girls were not acting carelessly like the lush in brickell. Last week, a city police officer informed me that the grove has since ramped up its nighttime patrolling. Said officer also gave me a 30-minute impromptu self-defense and home security lesson. Hehe.

As 1Ls, you'll spend a lot of your first semester party time in the grove. It was beneficial for me to live here, as I could simply walk out on a friday night and life was fabulous. Brickell is nicer, cleaner, pricier, and has more of a young professional crowd. I almost always go out in Brickell now. I wish I lived there, but alas, my family bought my place so I am stuck in the grove for the remainder of my days at miami. Gables and Kendall are also popular for 1Ls and are generally nicer than most of the grove, but you're far from everything.

For the record, ALL of these areas are within a decent driving distance to school.


What do you think about the Marina Blue Apt complex downtown? For me, it's what I'm leaning towards but I haven't heard a lot of people mention it.


I'm not a UM Law student (I wanted to get the hell out of Florida), but I am from South Florida and very familiar with Miami. There are absolutely beautiful luxury high rises downtown, but there are a few problems. Downtown Miami is not a real city. During the day it is a fairly busy business district, but at night it basically shuts down. You would not want to walk around after sundown, especially alone if you're female. There is a very, very large homeless population that roam around downtown at night.

Also, many of those apartment buildings are only 30-50% occupied. They overbuilt downtown Miami hoping to convert it in to the next Manhattan. It was a very cool idea, but one that never took off. Four or Five blocks from most of the nicest and mostly vacant highrises are some of the absolute worst areas in Miami. Much of the area looks like a city in an undeveloped country (See photo).

Although you can probably tell my distaste of Miami from my post, I'm not totally knocking the area. If you DO want to live in Miami, live in Brickell SOUTH of the river, or Coral Gables.


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
nightlight
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby nightlight » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:21 pm

^bahahahaha. Prospective 1Ls, meet Overtown.

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolgiant » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:27 pm

sw10 wrote:I actually heard the opposite on ASD. Everyone said Brickell is too far a commute for 1Ls. But I guess it depends on the person. Most people I've talked to say to live in Coral Gables or South Miami.



I didnt read if someone responded to this, but Brickell is not a far drive, just time your commute right. It gives you city style living. Expensive suburbia living is Coral Gables but if you go to far south of the campus you will have a tough commute in the morning

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolgiant » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:55 pm

nightlight wrote:^bahahahaha. Prospective 1Ls, meet Overtown.


its all about liberty city

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:53 pm

It's just all too expensive!!!

User avatar
Andreeai
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:20 am

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby Andreeai » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:37 pm

tag

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:18 am

Has anyone found an apartment complex or narrowed down apartments they plan on living in?

sw10
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby sw10 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:18 pm

trialjunky wrote:Has anyone found an apartment complex or narrowed down apartments they plan on living in?


I'm going at the beginning of June to check them out, so I'm not positive, but I'm thinking of living in Coral Gables, maybe the ones on Menores (from the guide UM gave us) or the ones on Salzedo. I haven't seen any of them inside though. I also heard the Cloisters are good, but it's a small complex and probably filling up quickly.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm

sw10 wrote:
trialjunky wrote:Has anyone found an apartment complex or narrowed down apartments they plan on living in?


I'm going at the beginning of June to check them out, so I'm not positive, but I'm thinking of living in Coral Gables, maybe the ones on Menores (from the guide UM gave us) or the ones on Salzedo. I haven't seen any of them inside though. I also heard the Cloisters are good, but it's a small complex and probably filling up quickly.


Do you know the names of those complexes? I couldn't go on the bus tour.

sw10
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby sw10 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:16 pm

trialjunky wrote:
sw10 wrote:
trialjunky wrote:Has anyone found an apartment complex or narrowed down apartments they plan on living in?


I'm going at the beginning of June to check them out, so I'm not positive, but I'm thinking of living in Coral Gables, maybe the ones on Menores (from the guide UM gave us) or the ones on Salzedo. I haven't seen any of them inside though. I also heard the Cloisters are good, but it's a small complex and probably filling up quickly.


Do you know the names of those complexes? I couldn't go on the bus tour.


They're both in the housing guide online. I can't remember what the ones on Menores are called, but the other one is called One Village Place or something like that. The problem is that everywhere I go they quote different prices, so to get the actual price I think you have to call or go to the complex directly. I originally wanted to live in Coconut Grove, but they have mostly homes/townhouses. Where are you thinking of living?

User avatar
nightlight
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby nightlight » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 pm

sw10 wrote:
trialjunky wrote:
sw10 wrote:
trialjunky wrote:Has anyone found an apartment complex or narrowed down apartments they plan on living in?


I'm going at the beginning of June to check them out, so I'm not positive, but I'm thinking of living in Coral Gables, maybe the ones on Menores (from the guide UM gave us) or the ones on Salzedo. I haven't seen any of them inside though. I also heard the Cloisters are good, but it's a small complex and probably filling up quickly.


Do you know the names of those complexes? I couldn't go on the bus tour.


They're both in the housing guide online. I can't remember what the ones on Menores are called, but the other one is called One Village Place or something like that. The problem is that everywhere I go they quote different prices, so to get the actual price I think you have to call or go to the complex directly. I originally wanted to live in Coconut Grove, but they have mostly homes/townhouses. Where are you thinking of living?


Just because Coconut Grove doesn't have mass college student housing complexes doesn't mean you can't live there! As a matter of fact, ITE you'll likely have more bargaining power with individual owners. You can check craig's list, newspapers, work with a realtor, or just drive around to find all the hidden gems. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, just encouraging you to explore your options. 8)

sw10
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby sw10 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks, yeah I'll definitely take any advice I can haha. Does the grove have any good condo/apt complexes? I was only able to find one, the Lofts at Mayfair, and they're a little out of my price range. I just don't particularly want to live in a house.

lawschool5523
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 am

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby lawschool5523 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:40 am

I am definitely living in Coral Gables. I am looking at the Da Vinci, and Gables Terrace.

User avatar
CKuleba
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 am

Re: University of Miami, Class of 2013

Postby CKuleba » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Will definitely be at Miami this fall.

I've been looking into housing (somewhat briefly) and really like red road commons. Anyone know anything about the place?

It looks great and from what I understand it is walking distance from campus. (Or you can walk to university village and shuttle over).

Also - looking for a roomate. Has to be CLEAN and doesn't party a lot (I'm assuming most law school students will not be partying too much, but red road is probably full of both undergrad/grads).

See everyone in the fall!




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest