UIUC Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sixburgher

Re: UIUC Class of 2013

Postby sixburgher » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:40 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
sixburgher wrote:Wow those places look nice. Are you planning on driving to school? I haven't read anything yet about finding parking near the law building

The Village has it's own shuttle that runs to and from the law school. Not having to drive/park FTW.

That sounds incredible, I could really be sold on having a shuttle. How often does it run?

iceskater1620

Postby iceskater1620 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:42 pm

MBZags wrote:I signed a lease at The Village and got a pretty sweet discount - $475/month for a two bedroom with all utilities except electric (normally $575/month). I'm still looking for a roommate if anyone's interested.

How did you get this discount? Also, I'm looking for a roommate too. Are you a boy or a girl?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:44 pm

sixburgher wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
sixburgher wrote:Wow those places look nice. Are you planning on driving to school? I haven't read anything yet about finding parking near the law building

The Village has it's own shuttle that runs to and from the law school. Not having to drive/park FTW.

That sounds incredible, I could really be sold on having a shuttle. How often does it run?

It runs Monday-Thursday from 7am to 10pm. Friday it runs 7am-5pm. Thursday-Saturday there's a late shuttle from 10pm-late (2am? I think?).

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Nice, the work week bus plus the party bus for the weekend. Do Chambana bars close at 2?

slt

Postby slt » Sat May 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Put my first deposit down two days ago

Considering the Village at Colbert Park, Indigo Place, and Capstone Quarters for housing

Rovias

Postby Rovias » Sat May 01, 2010 7:18 pm

Glad to see this board come alive. I signed a lease a couple of weeks ago near the engineering campus (thought it would be a little quieter) about 1.5 miles from the law building. I also had some success negotiating rent prices down so be sure to give it a try.

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Sat May 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Any bargaining tips? I was thinking that renting to grad students would be more attractive than undergrads. Also if I get a decent place I'd consider keeping it for all 3 years. Did you throw out anything like that in your rent negotiation?

TrackTony88

Postby TrackTony88 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:57 pm

I am actually living in a 1 bdrm on campus in Urbana (Lincoln and Green St.) called Busey Court Apartments. The landlord is JSM..it's about 555 a month and pretty nice. I went to undergrad here, so I like the convenience of being able to walk to classes and it is only a block away from the 22 Illini. I was also able to get parking across the street for $40 a month instead of the $60 that JSM charges.

--LinkRemoved--

Rovias

Postby Rovias » Sun May 02, 2010 5:06 pm

I actually looked at Busey Court, but I decided on a different apartment. They are getting all new flatscreen TVs there. Anyway in terms of negotiations what I did was had a full day of apartment visits with different renters and landlords. I let them all know that I was going to be making a decision today and what properties around town I was interested in. At the end of the day, I made of list of prices, square ft, amenities, and misc. I picked my top choice and said "I looked at X apartment and I really like it but I don't understand why it is priced more than y apartment (based on sq ft)" When I showed them my list and what I was talking about I got about $100 off a month and my monthly parking reduced by $10 a month. Granted this place was overpriced but after the discount they became the cheapest. Even if you don't have a list or you are just really set on one apartment ASK if the lease prices are set in stone or give them a reasonable counter-offer (50-100 below what they have offered). The worst they can say is no our prices are final. Good luck everyone and get apartment hunting because they are definitely selling.

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Sun May 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Good advice, I'll definitely follow the list v sq footage comparison to generate some negotiating fodder.

Are the majority of U-C apts near campus furnished? It seems like that's common among the listings. I've been out of school for a couple of years, and I have my own stuff.

slt

Postby slt » Mon May 03, 2010 1:02 am

Rovias wrote:I actually looked at Busey Court, but I decided on a different apartment. They are getting all new flatscreen TVs there. Anyway in terms of negotiations what I did was had a full day of apartment visits with different renters and landlords. I let them all know that I was going to be making a decision today and what properties around town I was interested in. At the end of the day, I made of list of prices, square ft, amenities, and misc. I picked my top choice and said "I looked at X apartment and I really like it but I don't understand why it is priced more than y apartment (based on sq ft)" When I showed them my list and what I was talking about I got about $100 off a month and my monthly parking reduced by $10 a month. Granted this place was overpriced but after the discount they became the cheapest. Even if you don't have a list or you are just really set on one apartment ASK if the lease prices are set in stone or give them a reasonable counter-offer (50-100 below what they have offered). The worst they can say is no our prices are final. Good luck everyone and get apartment hunting because they are definitely selling.

Where did you decide on living?

And which apartment complex is getting new flatscreens?

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon May 03, 2010 5:53 am

slt wrote:
Rovias wrote:I actually looked at Busey Court, but I decided on a different apartment. They are getting all new flatscreen TVs there. Anyway in terms of negotiations what I did was had a full day of apartment visits with different renters and landlords. I let them all know that I was going to be making a decision today and what properties around town I was interested in. At the end of the day, I made of list of prices, square ft, amenities, and misc. I picked my top choice and said "I looked at X apartment and I really like it but I don't understand why it is priced more than y apartment (based on sq ft)" When I showed them my list and what I was talking about I got about $100 off a month and my monthly parking reduced by $10 a month. Granted this place was overpriced but after the discount they became the cheapest. Even if you don't have a list or you are just really set on one apartment ASK if the lease prices are set in stone or give them a reasonable counter-offer (50-100 below what they have offered). The worst they can say is no our prices are final. Good luck everyone and get apartment hunting because they are definitely selling.

Where did you decide on living?

And which apartment complex is getting new flatscreens?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flat+screen+apartments+champaign%2C+IL

Got to be my favorite website of all time.

Rovias

Postby Rovias » Mon May 03, 2010 2:11 pm

I know Busey Court (JSM Properties) is getting new flat screens. I chose an Advantage Properties Apartment on Main St. It is nothing too fancy but I liked it enough.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Mon May 03, 2010 2:20 pm

This may be a dumb question but what is a "limited access" apartment? I googled it I swear, but I didn't find anything.

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Mon May 03, 2010 3:56 pm

'limited access' as in you can only occupy the apartment between the hours of 6pm and 8am

Or you can only enter through a basement window

I have no idea, I've never heard of that before

slt

Postby slt » Mon May 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:This may be a dumb question but what is a "limited access" apartment? I googled it I swear, but I didn't find anything.

I'm going to guess that means like keycard access or something, so that not everybody can just walk into the complex.

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Tue May 04, 2010 9:01 am

Is there any chance the Illini will beat .500 in football this year? I know they lost some people in the draft, a receiver and an OG. Anyone know anything that would give a reason for hope? New prospects?

Rovias

Postby Rovias » Sun May 16, 2010 3:24 pm

I don't follow much college football but I am excited about tailgating and the D1 sports experience. It would only be icing on the cake if the teams were actually good. However, we should be focusing on softball skills right now. Does anyone have any interest in an IM basketball team?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 am

A reminder of the facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 342&ref=ts

It's pretty dead!

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Thu May 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Anyone have an idea of what the first semester classes are? I was looking at the curriculum section of the website and it only shows mandatory 1L classes, not which semester they are taken. Just trying to figure out what my first semester class schedule will look like.

Warhawk

Postby Warhawk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Eruannon wrote:Anyone have an idea of what the first semester classes are? I was looking at the curriculum section of the website and it only shows mandatory 1L classes, not which semester they are taken. Just trying to figure out what my first semester class schedule will look like.

<---Rising 2L here

I can tell you that this past year, the first semester was Contracts, Criminal Law, and Torts (one of the four sections had Property instead of Torts), and also Legal Writing and Legal Research.

Second semester was Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, and Property (except for the section that had Property first semester, who then had Torts), and also Advocacy.

I don't think I asked any of my 2L friends what order they did things in though... so don't hold me to that.

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:56 am

Warhawk wrote:
Eruannon wrote:Anyone have an idea of what the first semester classes are? I was looking at the curriculum section of the website and it only shows mandatory 1L classes, not which semester they are taken. Just trying to figure out what my first semester class schedule will look like.

<---Rising 2L here

I can tell you that this past year, the first semester was Contracts, Criminal Law, and Torts (one of the four sections had Property instead of Torts), and also Legal Writing and Legal Research.

Second semester was Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, and Property (except for the section that had Property first semester, who then had Torts), and also Advocacy.

I don't think I asked any of my 2L friends what order they did things in though... so don't hold me to that.

Thanks Warhawk. I'm hoping this setup remains for next year. From what I have heard, contracts, crim, torts, and property are the easier of the six (for most people)?

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Oh hey guys, when is everyone moving to Champaign-Urbana(/Savoy)?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:54 pm

I'll be moving August 13/14th. Pretty excited. Anyone else going to be around early?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm moving in on August 15...couldn't be more excited!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”