Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
keg411

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:00 am

dp, I doubt living in Haddonfield will be an issue; especially if you like space :). No one is going to let you feel left out!
Last edited by keg411 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:00 am

jasonac21 wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
JuTMSY4 wrote:It's definitely more expensive at the Victor, you're paying for location. But at 700-800 per month versus 600-700 + transportation (I'm guessing 50 a month) and if you're paying for heat (which is included at the Victor...at least hot water is), the cost isn't different by much. Moreover, given all the 1L reviews, it suggests that study habits/inclination to be at school is higher. And the social benefit of course

Ya I hear ya; I'm not sure about the transportation costs, but it seems that it shouldnt be much below or above the 50 you quoted. I guess it does work out in the end. But from what I've seen, I think my place might be a little bigger than a 2 br at the Victor, and I would take that any day over location. As for the social aspect, well...I guess Ill be left out :oops: ...or Ill just end up at someones apartment for most of the evenings!

Who wants a big guy to come and make himself comfortable on their couch because he lives too far away to have friends? Any takers?!?!

haha.. I don't really think you'll be left out at all (at least not because of where you live ;) ). I think having people scattered about can be good too. You're place will be headquarters for one of the many Haddonfield festivals.

That works - I wasnt expecting to have a personality in law school (with the amount of work expected to turn me into a zombie) but I guess I will have to brush up on my social skills from time to time.

kissy

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:02 am

i wish my username didn't give me away so easily. it would've been fun to attempt to figure out who everyone from TLS is :(

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:05 am

Ha... I was just kidding around dp. No need to brush up.

Has anyone started doing any prep reading yet? Like E&E or Getting to Maybe? I started reading Getting to Maybe and thought it was very helpful but have yet to finish it.

kissy

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:07 am

i'm not touching anything like E&E, and i've purchased Getting to Maybe but haven't picked it up yet.

ellebee

Postby ellebee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:11 pm

Hey Wiggy,

How did you put a reservation down? Did you have to sign a lease or is a reservation different? Did you put it on a SPECIFIC unit or just any 2 bdrm that becomes available? Any idea how much studios run?

Sorry for all the questions, once I fly in there I anticpate signing a lease the next day. Hopefully I can do all the paperwork via fax before I get there.

-LB

kissy

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:14 pm

i'm glad this thread has come to life. it wasn't looking too promising in the beginning!

ellebee

Postby ellebee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 pm

kissy wrote:i'm glad this thread has come to life. it wasn't looking too promising in the beginning!

It's about that time when decisions are made. I'm almost certain Camden is where I'll be. I have my head wrapped around it already!

kissy

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:45 pm

where else are you thinking about, if you don't mind my asking

wiggysmalls13

Postby wiggysmalls13 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:56 pm

ellebee wrote:Hey Wiggy,

How did you put a reservation down? Did you have to sign a lease or is a reservation different? Did you put it on a SPECIFIC unit or just any 2 bdrm that becomes available? Any idea how much studios run?

Sorry for all the questions, once I fly in there I anticpate signing a lease the next day. Hopefully I can do all the paperwork via fax before I get there.

-LB

No problem! It was a specific unit. We called ahead and asked about June 1 availability...it was pretty slim for 2 BR's. Studios are like 800-1000 area.

ellebee

Postby ellebee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 pm

kissy wrote:where else are you thinking about, if you don't mind my asking

Waitlisted at USF (i'm not crazy about the school but I'm from the San Francisco area and I'd like to stay here) and W&M (but apparently everyone gets waitlisted there). I withdrew the rest of my acceptances so far because Camden seemed liked the only place I would actually move to despite my constant complaining about the city. I grew up in Oakland, CA but I went to the squeaky clean UC Irvine for my undergrad. I liked UCI's lifestyle.

I'm still waiting for about 5 more responses from schools.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:05 pm

dp73816 wrote:Doing a little soul searching this afternoon guys...would like some input.

I have always been a huge Notre Dame fan; I almost played football there, and had my heart set on attending law school there from soph. year of undergrad onward. I got WL there early (December), and committed myself to trying to gain admission by any means possible. But since that time, Rutgers has been nothing but awesome towards me - a great scholarship, and in-state tuition despite my low LSAT. Today, I reassessed my situation. If ND takes me off the WL, would I actually attend? It would be almost 40k a year, not including fees + living costs. Rutgers, on the other hand, would only cost 10-12k max. In any other economy and employment situation, I would accept an offer from ND without hesitation. But with the debt that I would accrue, it gives me reason to pause with Rutgers offer on the table. Plus, the East Coast seems to be the "place to be" for the jobs these days (as compared to Chicago). What would you do?

I realize this is Rutgers board, but I want to be absolutely sure I'm making the right decision. I think I'm leaning towards Rutgers...but then again, ND has not even offered me anything yet. I guess I just want to be doubly sure that I'm making the right move.

I don't think you will ever be absolutely sure. You should do what you think will provide you the best education and make you the happiest (whatever that may entail).

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:07 pm

lawschoolblows wrote:Hey look, even your dean admits law school ain't such a hot idea:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121274655

Hilarious! 4 years of college, 3 years of law school, the bar'zam hazing ritual- all for the chance to compete with one another to work for FREE! Note that only 60 of the 100 volunteers even got hired! One poor schmuck is driving 2+ hours each way to work for nothing and live with your parents as an "adult child." Welcome to reality, kids. The demand for non Top 14/biglaw entry level lawyers is essentially zero, and gets exponentially worse each year.

Be aware that this hiring freeze is also in effect for most NJ county legal aid services and DA offices. This is why small firms are now paying $12 an hour. They can essentially offer state minimum wage and still get 100+ resumes. That's how truly glutted the legal market is.

You're making a mistake that you'll likely regret for a lifetime. For most, a law degree is utterly and totally worthless and the poorest "investment" one could possibly make.

Why are you even trying who ever you are? Your tactics are if anything counter productive. Do something more important with your life.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Alwaysmile618 wrote:
Hilarious! 4 years of college, 3 years of law school, the bar'zam hazing ritual- all for the chance to compete with one another to work for FREE! Note that only 60 of the 100 volunteers even got hired! One poor schmuck is driving 2+ hours each way to work for nothing and live with your parents as an "adult child." Welcome to reality, kids. The demand for non Top 14/biglaw entry level lawyers is essentially zero, and gets exponentially worse each year.

Be aware that this hiring freeze is also in effect for most NJ county legal aid services and DA offices. This is why small firms are now paying $12 an hour. They can essentially offer state minimum wage and still get 100+ resumes. That's how truly glutted the legal market is.

You're making a mistake that you'll likely regret for a lifetime. For most, a law degree is utterly and totally worthless and the poorest "investment" one could possibly make.

Worthless and poorest "investment"? Investing in a Subprime Mortgage loan was a poor investment.

Spending time to read your senseless post is a poor investment of my time.

Doing the things that we want to do and becoming a lawyer to fulfill a calling in our lives? A choice that is not regrettable.

See, people like you as well as MANY far-sighted kids on TLS forums only see life in two terms 1. Worth money 2. Not worth money

I am truly sorry that you are not employed, but take this advise from a former stock broker from Charles Schwab who left his former job to pursue his career at something that he is passionate about. "Economy will get better, and it already is showing signs of bullish market run."

Just may be, some people don't think of everything as in terms of money like you do.
Did you ever try to help out a child who just simply made a mistake and desperately needed legal aid but only help that she could afford was a poor excuse of a lawyer that was assigned by the court? I don't think so, and I made a promise to that child that when I get my degree and license that I would in best of my abilities use my life to help out those in need such as that child.

You may think of our choices to become a lawyer as a poor investment but it is a poor investment that I am proud to have made.

I sure hate the neighborhood of Rutgers-Camden, but I am proud to have sent in my deposit for a seat at this school. (I might change my mind if I get into U. Pitt though~)

I can only see you as this poor emo child who is just desperate to either promote your blog or receive some attention from poor young children with weak hearts. Great job, you scared a child above my post, now go away and enjoy your unemployed life.

PS Thank you Joe Biden for all the great info, it is awesome to see a current student care for incoming students.

+1

And, I am behind on all the posts on this thread because, well, work has been extremely busy. But the good news is I am off today!

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:16 pm

kissy wrote:my girlfriend is concerned about the "social benefits"

I am not telling my gf about the social benefits. It will just get her too worried. Do what will make you happy.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 pm

kissy wrote:
kissy wrote:ehh i wouldn't call it "owning" me. out of 100 votes, they probably get ~99.5 :)

but i don't really mind living on-campus and the dorms weren't that bad.

plus, think of all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ i'm going to have to buy you guys drinks

+100000000000 first round, on Kissy!

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Ok, facebook group created. Search Rutgers - Camden School of Law. Anyone who wants to be an officer let me know!

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:24 pm

jasonac21 wrote:Ha... I was just kidding around dp. No need to brush up.

Has anyone started doing any prep reading yet? Like E&E or Getting to Maybe? I started reading Getting to Maybe and thought it was very helpful but have yet to finish it.

I just finished reading Getting to Maybe. I will read it again in a couple of weeks, but this time I will read it with an active approach (e.g. underlining, outlining, etc.). I also am planning to pick up and skim the E&E's before school starts just so I get a little background on how the course will be. I will have nothing better to do during the time than just drink and go to the beach, so what the hell, might as well prepare myself somewhat.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:36 pm

everyone join the facebook group!

kissy

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:01 pm

ellebee wrote:
kissy wrote:where else are you thinking about, if you don't mind my asking

Waitlisted at USF (i'm not crazy about the school but I'm from the San Francisco area and I'd like to stay here) and W&M (but apparently everyone gets waitlisted there). I withdrew the rest of my acceptances so far because Camden seemed liked the only place I would actually move to despite my constant complaining about the city. I grew up in Oakland, CA but I went to the squeaky clean UC Irvine for my undergrad. I liked UCI's lifestyle.

I'm still waiting for about 5 more responses from schools.

oh okay well that makes sense, good luck with everything and maybe we'll see you around RU :)

kissy

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:03 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
kissy wrote:
kissy wrote:ehh i wouldn't call it "owning" me. out of 100 votes, they probably get ~99.5 :)

but i don't really mind living on-campus and the dorms weren't that bad.

plus, think of all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ i'm going to have to buy you guys drinks

+100000000000 first round, on Kissy!

we definitely need to have a TLS night out

edit: 1st grade spelling error

grbueno

Postby grbueno » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Joined!

Also, I visited the Victor apartments yesterday and am sold on them. It's a bit pricey no doubt, but you can't beat the location (save for the dorms, and those are kind of ehhh honestly).

kissy

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:08 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:everyone join the facebook group!

ellebee

Postby ellebee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:10 pm

grbueno wrote:Joined!

Also, I visited the Victor apartments yesterday and am sold on them. It's a bit pricey no doubt, but you can't beat the location (save for the dorms, and those are kind of ehhh honestly).

If you took any pictures, can you post some? I would like to see some non-professional photos of the place that isn't on their website.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm in the FB group :). BTW, I also mailed my deposit today. Just have to write to Newark to get my deposit back there. Will probably do it by the end of the month.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”